ADVERTISEMENT

Worst homecoming crowd I can remember

So we want to eliminate a certain portion of the areas population because they can only afford a $10 ticket? Didn't know we were the Duke or Stanford of CUSA.
The $10 seats would only be for the end zone. Maybe we could build a wall so they wouldn't annoy the beautiful people.
I don't think $10 tickets are the answer. But Sammy C rants on the Walmart crowd as being unworthy participants of the Marshall experience. One must own a Marshall diploma, and graduate with a certain grade point average to get into the club. More people go through the doors of Walmart than Saks Fifth Ave....but which group would you rather have come into the stadium? Please such an easy answer......
So we want to eliminate a certain portion of the areas population because they can only afford a $10 ticket? Didn't know we were the Duke or Stanford of CUSA.
The $10 seats would only be for the end zone. Maybe we could build a wall so they wouldn't annoy the beautiful people.
I'm just following the lead of Sammy C. On numerous post he has expressed his dislike for the poor souls who must shop at Walmart. They are not worth of the Marshall experience....I assume one must have a diploma from the university for admittance in Sammy's section, plus a high grade point average. His hatered for my brethren at Walmart is only matched by his seething dislike of all things AMERICAN!!!!!! I would let anyone in the stadium that could afford a ticket......any thing less seems so un-AMERICAN!!!!!

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
It's wonderful to know that you believe the world is your oyster with a college diploma.

It's funny, some of those that contend that college degrees are the ultimate barometer of success are typically those earning <$15/hr in a job, not a career.

Those with degrees that aren't all uppity about it usually recognize that success is found in many different backgrounds and a degree is ultimately worthless unless you can back it up with common sense, initiative and a strong work ethic.

Some of the most successful people I've encountered in life have never graced the doorstep of a college classroom. I'd say they're considerably more successful than some of our college-educated posters on here.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
My belief is that building attendance requires a tiered, multi-part approach. You start with your most loyal fans, ask them to support the program via giving, then sell them season tickets in the best seats for the highest prices of the year. Is that fair? Well, the concept is that if you care so deeply then you are willing to invest more, because the return to you will be more. From then on, it requires very careful planning with packages, discounts, promotions, etc.
Not having attended a game in Huntington since I left, I cannot be an expert on what they are doing or not doing. But I would expect that if I came in to do an audit of their attendance/revenue building programs, I'd be looking at game day experience as one key factor. All of you on here are pretty diehard fans, and probably have been and are willing to put up with a lot just to be at the games. Attendance programs do need to focus on the "inclined" group, those people that are willing to come to a game if they think it will be enjoyable, entertaining, hassle-free, family and/or friend events that leave them feeling that their money was worth the time investment. Those people that have very little interest in Marshall, no time, no money, are just not going to come no matter how hard you push something to them. Keep in mind that a significant group of people will do something if they can save money, not get extras. Some schools go way too far with too many timeout promos, but the biggest trend now is making every part of the experience more enjoyable, from parking to restrooms, to food choices, to in-stadium digital options, and so on.
I do believe the department is trying a lot of things, so they should be applauded for that.
Lastly, for a lot of years, the success on the field built very high expectations for fans. Not just win, but win big, win exciting games after years of suffering, then play in and win championship games. That has been and is tough to maintain in D1. So now the attendance will need to be built on more than just a win or many wins. It needs to be built on the total package.

It's funny, some of those that contend that college degrees are the ultimate barometer of success are typically those earning <$15/hr in a job, not a career.

Those with degrees that aren't all uppity about it usually recognize that success is found in many different backgrounds and a degree is ultimately worthless unless you can back it up with common sense, initiative and a strong work ethic.

Some of the most successful people I've encountered in life have never graced the doorstep of a college classroom. I'd say they're considerably more successful than some of our college-educated posters on here.

Just my two cents.

It's sad people blew what I said out of context.

I said that the lack of a higher education and emphasis on such, is what makes people prone to being taken advantage of by people who are educated...the local politicians for example...take full advantage of people who aren't as "bright" as they are...and there are many. Just read any comment section on local newspaper articles.
My tirade was in favor of trying to educate people, at least emphasizing the attempt for higher learning which generations of NOT doing this, has still affected those who actually have a shot for it.
It's not for everyone, but you'll never know where you can go with it. I recall reading an article about a guy who worked in a now shut down coal mine. He was about 24 years old, hard working, had a HS diploma and some money saved up. When he was out of a job (worked there since he was 18 years old) he decided to go back to school because he said, "Well, I really liked Science."
He's in Pharmacy school now.
Sadly it's a social element more than anything, and older generations perceive higher education as "a threat" to their ideals, which never involved such things, purposely holding their youth back in favor of "just living a simple life."
It's become a problem.

Of course, success is subjective and measured differently. To each their own.

I mentioned the NFL because colleges have been using the same marketing firms for advice on tickets sales. I've noticed that most of the new stadiums in college football are very nice but not large in the number of seats. The same with professional baseball and the new retro parks. I believe Mike is a good AD and if he thought $10 and $15 tickets were the answer to put more money in the bank....it would have already happened. Don't sell him short....I think he understands his market very well.

I have to contend regarding the size of college football stadiums. Most are significantly larger than NFL stadiums. Now, I don't know about the newest ones except for TCU and Baylor, who are private so naturally they're going to have smaller sized stadiums.
Baseball is a whole separate element since they play so much during the year they could offset their costs from attendance, even low numbers, each season. But I don't know.

I agree that MH would've done some sort of promotion and even reduced ticket prices for the endzone seats. But the factor is opposition and since nobody can get excited (even with notable stories behind some seasons like Cato's record for consecutive TD passes) or even wants to get excited, is holding it all back.

Bottom line - there are myriad reasons why many people - on a beautiful fall Saturday afternoon, choose to do things other than attend Marshall football games. Those who want to come do so. Those who don’t do not. Simple. This thread covered many reasons. Many of us on here can remember the days of Old Fairfield during the post-crash years, lots of coaches, and Marshall literally gave tickets away to get a few thousand fans in the seats. Then we finally began to win, got a new stadium (which MH better start turning some attention to) and things improved. But like so many other places the local economy soured and Huntington has had difficulty attracting new business to provide the jobs with incomes to give people the extra income to spend on things like Marshall football. But even than does that mean on a beautiful fall Saturday afternoon people will come?

My belief is that building attendance requires a tiered, multi-part approach. You start with your most loyal fans, ask them to support the program via giving, then sell them season tickets in the best seats for the highest prices of the year. Is that fair? Well, the concept is that if you care so deeply then you are willing to invest more, because the return to you will be more. From then on, it requires very careful planning with packages, discounts, promotions, etc.
Not having attended a game in Huntington since I left, I cannot be an expert on what they are doing or not doing. But I would expect that if I came in to do an audit of their attendance/revenue building programs, I'd be looking at game day experience as one key factor. All of you on here are pretty diehard fans, and probably have been and are willing to put up with a lot just to be at the games. Attendance programs do need to focus on the "inclined" group, those people that are willing to come to a game if they think it will be enjoyable, entertaining, hassle-free, family and/or friend events that leave them feeling that their money was worth the time investment. Those people that have very little interest in Marshall, no time, no money, are just not going to come no matter how hard you push something to them. Keep in mind that a significant group of people will do something if they can save money, not get extras. Some schools go way too far with too many timeout promos, but the biggest trend now is making every part of the experience more enjoyable, from parking to restrooms, to food choices, to in-stadium digital options, and so on.
I do believe the department is trying a lot of things, so they should be applauded for that.
Lastly, for a lot of years, the success on the field built very high expectations for fans. Not just win, but win big, win exciting games after years of suffering, then play in and win championship games. That has been and is tough to maintain in D1. So now the attendance will need to be built on more than just a win or many wins. It needs to be built on the total package.

Very well said sir. Agree. Our timeout promos and announcements are incredibly annoying.

I don't know about you guys, but last Saturday in Huntington on the planet I live on it was hot and painfully bright. We bathed in sunblock and still got burned, and my kids tapped out at halftime. There were a lot of people tailgating with us that decided to stay back and hang out under the tent rather than go out into the open stadium. Not saying that's the sole factor in the attendance, but it definitely wasn't a comfortable weather day.

I don't know about you guys, but last Saturday in Huntington on the planet I live on it was hot and painfully bright. We bathed in sunblock and still got burned, and my kids tapped out at halftime. There were a lot of people tailgating with us that decided to stay back and hang out under the tent rather than go out into the open stadium. Not saying that's the sole factor in the attendance, but it definitely wasn't a comfortable weather day.

Sooo...
You didn't come back because...the sun was too bright?

Purdue was hotter and still more full. Weather folks can give a pretty decent prediction of weather before the game.

Low level 1-AA football does not garner large crowds and CUSA is at best a mid tier 1-AA conference. We missed the boat a number of years ago due to the lack of $$$$ and now reap the benefit of being in a very low ranked D-1 conference.

Look at the teams in the conference , seriously who wants to fork out what Herd tickets cost to see ODU or FIU or Charlotte...at best you are making a donation to the school by purchasing season tickets.

We are in a pickle for sure and the AD does not seem to understand that CUSA is not going to fill the stadium.

Reactions: Mgant79
I have to contend regarding the size of college football stadiums. Most are significantly larger than NFL stadiums. Now, I don't know about the newest ones except for TCU and Baylor, who are private so naturally they're going to have smaller sized stadiums.
Baseball is a whole separate element since they play so much during the year they could offset their costs from attendance, even low numbers, each season. But I don't know.

I agree that MH would've done some sort of promotion and even reduced ticket prices for the endzone seats. But the factor is opposition and since nobody can get excited (even with notable stories behind some seasons like Cato's record for consecutive TD passes) or even wants to get excited, is holding it all back.
When I watch college football I see a lot of empty seats every where. I think most stadiums are over built for today's markets. The majority are 40 plus years old. What can you do with the extra seats? Build suites and sell them to business seems to be the answer. Its guaranteed income. Marshall does as good job of filling its stadium. The numbers don't indicate anyone is doing it better in CUSA.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Low level 1-AA football does not garner large crowds and CUSA is at best a mid tier 1-AA conference. We missed the boat a number of years ago due to the lack of $$$$ and now reap the benefit of being in a very low ranked D-1 conference.

Look at the teams in the conference , seriously who wants to fork out what Herd tickets cost to see ODU or FIU or Charlotte...at best you are making a donation to the school by purchasing season tickets.

We are in a pickle for sure and the AD does not seem to understand that CUSA is not going to fill the stadium.

what a moron. cusa certainly has issues but when you come out of the gate with idiocy like that no one is going to care what you have to say.

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
Sooo...
You didn't come back because...the sun was too bright?

No, I stayed for the whole game. My four year old kids, however, didn't hold up as well, and my wife had to take them back to the tailgate. Don't worry though, when we got home I beat them all with switches until they apologized for failing Doc and the boys.

"Behold my stupidity...I complain and offer no solution!"

Reactions: The Real SamC
No, I stayed for the whole game. My four year old kids, however, didn't hold up as well, and my wife had to take them back to the tailgate. Don't worry though, when we got home I beat them all with switches until they apologized for failing Doc and the boys.

Good.

I don't think $10 tickets are the answer. But Sammy C rants on the Walmart crowd as being unworthy participants of the Marshall experience. blah, blah, blah.

Give me a break. Relative to MU, the potential fan pool is people with some relationship to Marshall (student, alumni, parent, grandparent) and people from right in the immediate Huntington area, where MU sports is a way of life. You are N O T going to get people more than 20 or 25 miles from the stadium with no relationship to MU to really care about MU, other than the occasional "I root for both schools" politician, and people that follow us for a short period because we recruited a local hero from some local HS. You just are not. You can put up all the billboards you want, buy all the ads, sell tickets for $10 or $1, it is not going to happen. That is reality. With a very few exceptions (Clemson, Auburn, Purdue, maybe a few others) that is the reality for any public school with a non-geographic name.

Relative to WVU, yes, when we had a smack board, I made great fun of the pathetic losers that follow WVU, but never darkened the door of the place. Why? Do most people in Kentucky follow UK? Sure. SW Virginians follow Virginia Tech? Sure. Tennessee people follow the big orange? Sure. Same all across the country.

With one major difference. I have taken a lifetime of guff from the WVU idiot crowd of non-alumni fans. So has any Marshall fan. Because a total and utter fixation upon Marshall is part and parcel of being a WVU fan. All they have to balm their wounds after another frustrating dose of reality. It is all those people think about. Unique. Find any other named for the state whatever in whatever position WVU's idiot fanbase agrandizes itself to and find ONE fan that gives a flying flip about whater place (its a high school, its division 2, its a community college, whatever) they assign us.

So, yes, I enjoy making fun of a self-lampooning self-selected group of people who denegrate MY university.

That has NOTHING to do with being an elitist. In fact, most of the very few WVU alumni actually living in WV know what WVU is and are often as amused by the Spamtards are I am. And, yes, I know a lot of GREAT Herd fans that never attended MU. But I know pretty much zero who are not from Huntington, born and raised, or did not have a relative attend. No body in, say, Beckley or Parkersburg or Fairmont thinks of MU as "us" and they never will.

Reactions: All4TheHerd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT