ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL GAME THREAD Wright State

Pretty poor effort this far. We can’t get any good looks, missing all kinds of shots. Lost defense without OAK is non-existent

remind me again why we didn't recruit Holden harder-

We're not going to win a whole lot of games with only 6 guys putting up points, unless Kinsey and West go for 30 and 20 consistently. Janson just scored. Up 13 at 1:30. We've got this one.

Very nice finish guys, question is 5 games left before conf play 4 at home an COFC in Chas WV, can they be 9-0 going into conf play? If not what are the iffie games?

remind me again why we didn't recruit Holden harder-
It was obvious from the staff on numerous occasions that they saw him that he played when he wanted to play.
We need a big so took Goran with that scholarship. Danny didn't pull it until he knew Holden had solid offers from other schools.

Post game show on Htgn. radio indicated that Kinsey played 39 minutes and 9 secs. of the game. Had a great game, but Danny is going to have to develop some quality depth in the backcourt to allow Taevion to get some in game rest/bench time. Little concerned that of our first subs was a walk on guard. Says a lot to me. Still would have preferred that Danny would have recruited a skilled guard with some game experience, perhaps from junior college, rather than a couple more projects with foreign backgrounds and no experience in the college game. But that's just me, and MU is not paying me one red cent to coach College basketball!

Last edited:
Post game show on Htgn. radio indicated that Kinsey played 39 minutes and 9 secs. of the game. Had a great game, but Danny is going to have to develop some quality depth in the backcourt to allow Taevion to get some in game rest/bench time. Little concerned that of our first subs was a walk on guard. Says a lot to me. Still would have preferred that Danny would have recruited a skilled guard with some game experience, perhaps from junior college, rather than a couple more projects with foreign backgrounds and no experience in the college game. But that's just me, and MU is not paying me one red cent to coach College basketball!
Dan’s never taken OOC games as serious as conference games. He’s always looked at them almost as exhibition games it seems. I wouldn’t look into Luke Thomas getting meaningful minutes. If I remember correctly, Luke was getting this type of playing time to start the year last year as well. I think at a bare minimum, Early can provide hustle and defense and as the season goes along will earn himself more and more playing time. His size is impressive for a freshman and really showed last night on his finish over Wright State’s big man in transition.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
My impressions: I thought Goran was very effective defending their big. He moves his feet well for his size. Darius is a rebound magnet! Jared is our glue & I liked Early’s energy and defense. Kinsey has improved his FT shooting & isn’t jacking up 3’s but taking it inside. Our lobs are pretty damn great. Good win and will help us down the road. Another good test coming up next week in Chaz SC......

Reactions: HerdFan2018
My impressions: I thought Goran was very effective defending their big. He moves his feet well for his size. Darius is a rebound magnet! Jared is our glue & I liked Early’s energy and defense. Kinsey has improved his FT shooting & isn’t jacking up 3’s but taking it inside. Our lobs are pretty damn great. Good win and will help us down the road. Another good test coming up next week in Chaz SC......
Goran got absolutely abused on defense in the first half. Wright State literally scored 8 consecutive points over him. Iran was the one who put a stop to that.

Agree on George and Early, though. When they're on the floor our level of athleticism goes WAY up. I love that they both have a little "dog" in them, too.

I would love to see our starting five as West, Early, Kinsey, OAK and Williams with George and Taylor first off the bench.

Reactions: HerdFan2018
Coll of Charleston game is in Charleston, SC
I look forward to attending the game (fingers crossed both teams stay clean). They are allowing about 1200 into the arena. CofC has a lot of talent, but a bunch of new faces. It's Earl's deepest team. They also are trying to find their way on O after losing Riller to the NBA. Their D will challenge us. Another solid test for our guys on the road.

Goran got absolutely abused on defense in the first half. Wright State literally scored 8 consecutive points over him. Iran was the one who put a stop to that.

Agree on George and Early, though. When they're on the floor our level of athleticism goes WAY up. I love that they both have a little "dog" in them, too.

I would love to see our starting five as West, Early, Kinsey, OAK and Williams with George and Taylor first off the bench.

Spot on regarding the paint defense. I’m not sure what WS was watching.

Goran played great defense in the second half. He was beaten badly in the first half, but when he went back in, he did a tremendous job making the adjustments. I give he and the staff a lot of credit for that.

Goran played great defense in the second half. He was beaten badly in the first half, but when he went back in, he did a tremendous job making the adjustments. I give he and the staff a lot of credit for that.

This was clearly a change made by the coaching staff... In the first half Goran was letting their big catch the ball with his back to the basket 8 feet out. Goran is not a good post defender and was thus getting abused. In the second half they made a clear effort to make Love catch the ball further out so he had to face up to the basket. Because he can't shoot in the mid-range the strategy worked.

The thing that was frustrating about last night was the defensive effort level just kind of came and went, and I dont mean just one guy. We would be absolutely pathetic defensively for 3 minutes and then we'd look like the late 80's Pistons for 3 minutes... We have the pieces/athletes to be a competent defensive team. West is an elite defender, Kinsey and George are both solid, Bennett does his part in the paint, etc. It just seems like its an inconsistent "want to" as a team.

A big plus form the first two games is that OAK and Early are playing meaningful minutes in the rotation. Gotta get the young guys some burn when you can because we are going to need them sooner rather than later.

I should have clarified: 2nd half. Per above post: what he said. The other thing? We have a lot of long bodies to throw out there. Over the course of 40 mins, that tends to have a cumulative effect, esp if the opposition isn’t playing more than 6-7 guys.....

Reactions: GreenDuke
This was clearly a change made by the coaching staff... In the first half Goran was letting their big catch the ball with his back to the basket 8 feet out. Goran is not a good post defender and was thus getting abused. In the second half they made a clear effort to make Love catch the ball further out so he had to face up to the basket. Because he can't shoot in the mid-range the strategy worked.

The thing that was frustrating about last night was the defensive effort level just kind of came and went, and I dont mean just one guy. We would be absolutely pathetic defensively for 3 minutes and then we'd look like the late 80's Pistons for 3 minutes... We have the pieces/athletes to be a competent defensive team. West is an elite defender, Kinsey and George are both solid, Bennett does his part in the paint, etc. It just seems like its an inconsistent "want to" as a team.

A big plus form the first two games is that OAK and Early are playing meaningful minutes in the rotation. Gotta get the young guys some burn when you can because we are going to need them sooner rather than later.
Rhino - hits the nail on the head: these 2 game sets on consecutive nights are going to be a battle of endurance....

Agree with the above comment about how our D, or defensive intensity, seemed to wax and wane. Would love to see the floor chart indicating where the Raiders points were scored. Believe it would heavily indicate points were close in, in the paint, etc. Believe they had one guy, maybe two, who hit threes, but I recall most of their points were on the inside and "short" range scores.

Agree also with the comment about our game with the College of Charleston, a solid mid major program. They perennially are ranked at or near the top in the race for the Colonial Athletic Association title. A challenge but certainly a winnable game if we play our game, IMO.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

I too plan to be there. I'm driving down on Wednesday

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT