ADVERTISEMENT

WV Boys State Basketball Finals

Originally posted by HerdFan73:
Glad to see a public school take "A".
Only the second time this millennium.

I really think they made a mistake when they let the private schools in. The old system where they had a Catholic tournament at the old Field House was better.

South Carolina is looking at making the private schools play up a division. If they are "A" based on school enrollment then they would be forced to play in the "AA" classification
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by herdfan429:
South Carolina is looking at making the private schools play up a division.
That seems OK, but that really might just change the screwing over of public schools from A to AA here. In some of the minor sports, where they have two classes (AAA and A&AA combined) the private schools still dominate.

I really think they should just add a 4th class, Private (there are non-Catholic private schools now, there were not back when the state excluded private schools from the WVSSAC). My count has like 16 private schools. Let them play in the regular season but come playoff time, let them play each other in their own division and let the public school kids from small counties have a legitimate shot at a state title too.

South Carolina is looking at making the private schools play up a division. If they are "A" based on school enrollment then they would be forced to play in the "AA" classification
Most of the SC private & parochial schools play in "SCISA", the South Carolina Independent Schools Association. I believe the the two prominent private schools in Charleston (the catholic school & Porter Gaud) play in the public school league at one of the AA levels. There are more private schools in SC, even in rural areas, largely because of the white flight that occurred after the Supreme Court ended 'separate but equal'.

Obviously the private schools have a huge advantage if they choose to take advantage of if

Originally posted by TwolfHerdfan:
Obviously the private schools have a huge advantage if they choose to take advantage of if
The local situations are much too varied to say that in general.

Watching & cheering for Wichita State (Greg Marshall) to defeat Kansas (which they did)....they showed a high school picture of All State Kansas players that were were competing Sunday evening. I recall a time in the 1960s-70s when Marshall & wvu had several starters that hailed from the Mountain state. I don't think we will see this again. Schools are too small now & the quality of basketball played in WV does not stack up against players from NC, SC, Ky, In, NY, Ca. and others. It made things more exciting for me to cheer for local talent when watching The HERD & the eers...back in the day! Jerry West, Ron Retton, Willie Akers, Rod Thorn, Fritz Williams for wvu. Dan & Mike D'antoni, Jim Davidson, Bob Smith......these times will not repeat.

Just my opinion.

My thoughts on "One & Done" players. I wish the NCAA & NBA would go back to the old rule and permit the super-talented high school players enter the NBA after completing high school. Why "tug at our hearts" for a year cheering for guys that will don the uniform for one year? Let them play in the NBA. Very few of them ever attend class anyway....they just Role-Play until draft day and "get the heck out of Lexington, Durham, Chapel Hill, etc." I cheer for the TEAM---not the certain player.

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney) in Charlotte

Originally posted by elginherd:
Most of the SC private & parochial schools play in "SCISA", the South Carolina Independent Schools Association. I believe the the two prominent private schools in Charleston (the catholic school & Porter Gaud) play in the public school league at one of the AA levels. There are more private schools in SC, even in rural areas, largely because of the white flight that occurred after the Supreme Court ended 'separate but equal'.
I didn't suggest otherwise. I know all about scisa I also know that bishop England Christ church st joe etc recruit and the high schools actually trying to do something to "leve" the playing field some.

Originally posted by CarolinaHerdzilla:
Watching & cheering for Wichita State (Greg Marshall) to defeat Kansas (which they did)....they showed a high school picture of All State Kansas players that were were competing Sunday evening. I recall a time in the 1960s-70s when Marshall & wvu had several starters that hailed from the Mountain state. I don't think we will see this again. Schools are too small now & the quality of basketball played in WV does not stack up against players from NC, SC, Ky, In, NY, Ca. and others. It made things more exciting for me to cheer for local talent when watching The HERD & the eers...back in the day! Jerry West, Ron Retton, Willie Akers, Rod Thorn, Fritz Williams for wvu. Dan & Mike D'antoni, Jim Davidson, Bob Smith......these times will not repeat.

Just my opinion.

My thoughts on "One & Done" players. I wish the NCAA & NBA would go back to the old rule and permit the super-talented high school players enter the NBA after completing high school. Why "tug at our hearts" for a year cheering for guys that will don the uniform for one year? Let them play in the NBA. Very few of them ever attend class anyway....they just Role-Play until draft day and "get the heck out of Lexington, Durham, Chapel Hill, etc." I cheer for the TEAM---not the certain player.

In the very near future you could see a Marshall team with 3 kids from Poca, one form South Charleston, Logan, Huntington and Hedgesville.

Originally posted by CarolinaHerdzilla:

Just my opinion.

There are still players here.. it was only what 8 years ago or so that Huntington alone produced 3 NBA players.. There have been some other very successful D1 players since then come from WV and have great college careers.. the kid from Parkersburg at FGCU comes to mind along with Fischer kid who played this past season at BYU (avg. over 13 ppg).. I'm not saying the talent level is on par with some of the other states you mentioned but there is certainly still talented players in WV.. Us and WVU just aren't getting all of them any more.

The timing for "never see that again" is beyond ironic. WVU has two 2016's from WV committed, both of whom we offered. We are going strong after the two 2017's from Poca.

As was mentioned, this is one of the deepest crop of D-1 kids this state has had in a long time. There's a good chance the 2018 Capital Classic, should we still be playing then, could have as many as 6-7 kids from this state participating.

I figured Cousin Danny would have told you about that by now.

After AAU ball this summer, the Jones kid from Martinsburg is going to be a hot commodity.

Hope we're on him.

Maryland separates Public and Privates. Although Baltimore City "Public" schools with open enrollment operate basically as privates. With the exclusion of privates, Maryland has 50 schools in each of 4 classifications.

How many would WV have across their classes if privates were excluded?

In High school I ky ' s sweet sixteen. SIXTEEN REGIONS ONE CHAMP..We do have an all class a small school state tiurney.

Originally posted by CockyHerd:

How many would WV have across their classes if privates were excluded?
AAA has 38 and AA has 40, all public. A has 36 public and 10 religious schools, plus the Deaf & Blind School. Several A schools do not offer football. Coming consolidation in Fayette County will reduce the A numbers by 2.

The upswing of private school success coincided with several of the Class A public power schools closing for consolidation.

Oceana, Baileysville, Mullens, Vinson, C-K, Williamson, Burch, Marsh Fork... the private schools have improved by leaps and bounds, no doubt, but there have been some strong traditional programs disappear lately.

And Williamson only closed after the 10-11 season, but really, that school shuttered when Belfry, Ky. built a brand spanking new high school and facilities 2 miles from the state line. That's been 12 or so years ago now. Belfry has a heavy Mingo County presence.

I also say that is good to see a public school win the Class A title! It's great! It shows a commitment to success from a rural state-run school! That's very rare. It proves it CAN be done if the will is there for it to be done. No blame game here...

I'm mighty proud of my old high school for winning the A championship. I am a proud alum of Magnolia, having graduated from there in 1966. At that time we were the largest AA school in the state. Now down to A. At that same time schools like Weirton, Bluefield and Williamson were all AAA.

To Herdmeister's point I was shocked to see Robert C. Byrd in 'AA'...says something when a 'AAA' school like Washington Irving combines with a 'AA' school like Roosevelt-Wilson and within 10 years the school is down to 'AA'.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT