ADVERTISEMENT

JMU Hires Morehead Basketball Coach

Excellent hire by a school not that different from us, except they are doing what we did, decades ago. Demanding better and trying to improve. We stand pat and make a token effort.

Fire CS.

Excellent hire by a school not that different from us, except they are doing what we did, decades ago. Demanding better and trying to improve. We stand pat and make a token effort.

Fire CS.

Also charging their students a boat load of money for athletics. Something that if we did here we would never hear the end of it.

My point was we aren’t the same as JMU. The thing our b-ball and football programs have in common with them is we use the same kinda ball and both play in the Sun belt. Thats it.

Their students pay and their fans pay.

Would I be ok with an increase in the amount of student fees going to athletics? Of course

Your point is just excuse making, and out of character for you, since you usually just declare anything with "Marshall" on it to be superior to all others, since Marshall is your team, without any actual thought, facts, or logic.

Anyway, JMU has a high athletic fee. OK. Their total subsidy rate (student fees, taxpayer money, etc.) is 81%, contrasted to our 59%. By far the highest subsidy rate and student athletic fee in Virginia. The higher the %age of subsidy, the less money you are taking in elsewise (tickets, donors, etc.) They sell tickets at a very low price for the level they now play at.

None of this matters. Marshall is one of the greatest athletic stories ever. There is no real reason we are at the level we are at, and many dozens of schools with more money, more students, better local economy, etc. are still cowering in I-AA or D2. Except one of the world's best fanbases. A fanbase that USED to demand better.

Demand better. Fire CS. Fire CH. Give DD's chosen successor at most 2 years, and if we are not at the very top, fire him.

Demand better.

Your point is just excuse making, and out of character for you, since you usually just declare anything with "Marshall" on it to be superior to all others, since Marshall is your team, without any actual thought, facts, or logic.

Anyway, JMU has a high athletic fee. OK. Their total subsidy rate (student fees, taxpayer money, etc.) is 81%, contrasted to our 59%. By far the highest subsidy rate and student athletic fee in Virginia. The higher the %age of subsidy, the less money you are taking in elsewise (tickets, donors, etc.) They sell tickets at a very low price for the level they now play at.

None of this matters. Marshall is one of the greatest athletic stories ever. There is no real reason we are at the level we are at, and many dozens of schools with more money, more students, better local economy, etc. are still cowering in I-AA or D2. Except one of the world's best fanbases. A fanbase that USED to demand better.

Demand better. Fire CS. Fire CH. Give DD's chosen successor at most 2 years, and if we are not at the very top, fire him.

Demand better.
“Excuse me, Sandy, but if we kill all of the golfers….”

Compared to many, yes. But would we win the league if we invested 10 million more in the budget? Not sure.
According to USA Today we are 5th overall in our conference in athletic budget. 3-5 are really the same, jmu and odu spend much more than everyone else in our conference. So it’s working out for JMU. Not so much for odu, but yes I think an additional 10 million dollar operating budget would help us compete for league titles.

According to USA Today we are 5th overall in our conference in athletic budget. 3-5 are really the same, jmu and odu spend much more than everyone else in our conference. So it’s working out for JMU. Not so much for odu, but yes I think an additional 10 million dollar operating budget would help us compete for league titles.
JMU may be taking a budget hit as said above. We'll see how that effects them. Likely their issue is losing both the football and men's b'ball coaches; and their all star AD is retiring. We'll see if the new hires can continue to carry the torch.

I highly doubt we have the donor base to add 10 Million more, or close; and I highly doubt Brad would tack on more student fees that would increase tuition cost - when we are battling hard just to keep enrollment as it is or increase it.

Reactions: MUMAN3419
So....if a mid-tier program were to spend $10 million more....it wouldn't have an impact???? *facepalm*

So....if a mid-tier program were to spend $10 million more....it wouldn't have an impact???? *facepalm*
Just saying it wouldn't assure us a league title in football if we did. It would certainly help the program overall. But again, doubt we would ever be able to swing that much of an increase in the budget. JMU has had great hires - I think that's been the main reason for their success to date.

We have a good enough budget to go out and hire highly successful lower level head coaches. We just don't do it.

JMU made great hires in both major sports, and honestly look like they have done it again. Both candidates they got would have came to Marshall as well if an offer was on the table.

Budgets don't equal championships. Coaches do.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT