ADVERTISEMENT

WVU football pre-season #14

Reactions: Jartard
Let's see now. Faculty in an uproar over planned personnel changes, cuts, etc. Significant revenue shortfall and plunging enrollment. "Hall of Fame" coach brings National shame and embarrassment on the school with drunken binge driving and other significant "No-nos". Now other revenue sport, football, appears to be "destined" for the cellar in a weakened 2014 Big 12 football race, with both Oklahoma and Texas having just departed for "greener pastures"!!

So that's the status of WVU, athletically and otherwise, as the 23-24 academic and athletic year approaches.

Going forward, WVU led by well-traveled and stale Bow Tie Boy Gee overall and Neal Brown on the gridiron. Meanwhile, in those same areas, Marshall is headed by Brad Smith and Charles Huff!! Ummm, NOT so tough a choice, in my book. I'll take the latter here nearing Mid-July 2023!!

As of this evening Bob Huggins has declared he wants his job back and that he never resigned.

My Guess 5 -6 wins Have a very talented Offensive line lot of experience Good receivers added from portal running backs are solid and QB some talent and experience. Defense could be a major problem. Just a opinion.

No, don't want them. That place is a hot mess.
This is gonna get good. I can see the AD being removed if it comes to him vs. Chuggs.
Love it! Chugs claims to love the state, wvu, and cherished the job..........so he gets a DUI in state vehicle, embarrasses state and school, resigns, writes letter to mtr nation about resigning and then realizes he's financially better off to litigate, so he litigates and continues to embarrass the school and state for his own financial gain AND to the detriment of the school he claims to love. PRICELESS

Love it.

Chugs wants a settlement better than what the university offered as severance... It will get settled/mediated and he will be gone. I do find it funny that a guy who should be a multi-millionaire at this point in his life/career is taking the litigation route and making it "very public." How much do Jack and Cokes cost in the metro Pittsburgh area?

There is a pretty good chance, especially with all their basketball losses between graduations and transfers, that WVU could finish dead last in both major sports in the Big12 this year.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
- BH. Not surprising. Trolling for $$. And, since WVU sports is NOT SELF-SUPPORTING (read USA Today's excellent database on this subject) that is WV taxpayer $$. 100% agree about how a guy who made this kind of money, as a journeyman ball coach, should not be in such a position at this point in his life.

- WVU looks to be last in the only season of the Big 2, Little 10. Good. What is bad for WVU is good for WV, and v-v.

- Next up, in the coming joke Leftover Little 10, WVU should finish no worse than 3rd, every year. This is a joke conference. Teams no real conference wanted. Only 2 are the number one team in their state. Joke. This, boys and girls, is the old Lambert Least/original Big Least/Leastleftovers. Joke programs. So, yes, laugh at Spamite non-alumni fans this year when "their" team (same word as on their driver's license, no actual relationship) goes 4-8 or whatever, but leave some space for the equal laughter that you must show to a 9-3 or 10-2 USPAM team in the future, as these mind-knumbed losers will ACTUALLY BELIEVE, that what goes on ther is the same as the SEC, or even the ACC or B10.

So, yes, laugh at Spamite non-alumni fans this year when "their" team (same word as on their driver's license, no actual relationship) goes 4-8 or whatever, but leave some space for the equal laughter that you must show to a 9-3 or 10-2 USPAM team in the future, as these mind-knumbed losers will ACTUALLY BELIEVE, that what goes on ther is the same as the SEC, or even the ACC or B10.
Unfortunately, this is correct... They won't suck forever and being in essentially the 2010 version of CUSA means they will once again be a big fish in a small pond in coming years.

Unfortunately, this is correct... They won't suck forever and being in essentially the 2010 version of CUSA means they will once again be a big fish in a small pond in coming years.
Yea. I'm not so convinced they will ever get back to their "glory days". They play at the "big boy" table and the stakes at that table just raised exponentially above their pockets. WVU like most mid-tier P5s are going to be left holding the bag.

In the most recent college football landscape they have done all they could to just be in the middle of the Big XII and that has been during a period of time when Texas football has been a shell of itself. So even with OU and Texas leaving I don't think it does much for WVU.

I also think WVU has the worst leadership they have had in a really long time, if ever.

The only hope for a lot of teams is that the FBS reaches a point where it implodes and all these super conferences crumble and we go to more regional based conferences. Much like Chuck McGill predicted back when conference realignment first started.

Last edited:
Yea. I'm not so convinced they will ever get back to their "glory days". They play at the "big boy" table and the stakes at that table just raised exponentially above their pockets. WVU like most mid-tier P5s are going to be left holding the bag.

In the most recent college football landscape they have done all they could to just be in the middle of the Big XII and that has been during a period of time when Texas football has been a shell of itself. So even with OU and Texas leaving I don't think it does much for WVU.

I also think WVU has the worst leadership they have had in a really long time, if ever.

The only hope for a lot of teams is that the FBS reaches a point where it implodes and all these super conferences crumble and we go to more regional based conferences. Much like Chuck McGill predicted back when conference realignment first started.

I do hope, wherever wvu ends up, they aren't a P5 and never get a shot at the CFP.

Would be funny to see them reject invites to wherever MU is, goes independent, tanks still, and just cries as they sign the contract to join because they financially can't support themselves.

I doubt that. This has become more and more about money and wvu isn't going to be able to sustain itself.
It'll be hard to spin the narrative that wvu is competing with the likes of Texas and OU...now replaced with directional schools and city named universities.
The fairweather fanbase isnt going to show up for the likes of BYU or UCF...especially after they hosted Texas and OU.
Even if they win, the CFP is going to treat them like the PAC 12 before it dissolved, as it could end up being one of the worst and lowest rated conferences.

wvu also can't market itself to anyone else. They bring in little to no money of their own. Nobody cares about their football program and their basketball program has become a joke.
They sit in the middle of nowhere, in a state people still confuse with the superior one, and everyone else is set in their ways.
The best part is they do have good games with VT and Pitt as rival games, but both programs are like, "sure, we'll play you OOC" then get the revenue from the game and keep wvu out of the conference.

WVU will not be playing at the "big boy's table". They will be playing in the Leftover Little 12. 12 teams united by one thing. No major conference wanted them and a refusal to admit to themselves (and their ignorant fan bases) what they are. Mid-majors.

If you are old enough, this is EXACTLY what WVU sports was back in the Fat Donnie/Crazy Gale eras. Play in a joke cupcake filled conference, convince retard fans that what goes on there has some semblance to major college sports.

Spamites will take the pill once again. These are not smart people, remember. "Wesens is gonna win that there national champeeeeenen ship, usens is so good, us theys beat that there Central Floridas and them those Texas Christians, that there is just like winning the SEC." Change the names of the cupcakes and it is the same idiocy Spamies spewed 30 years ago.

Memo to the Leftovers: You are mid-majors. Nothing more.

As bad as wvu was last year they still managed to beat Oklahoma St, and Virginia Tech, on the road and Oklahoma and Baylor at home. Thus, they have beaten quality programs even when down. They have a good offensive line and a good running back core this year. They will win at least 4 this year, and probably will win 6 and get a minor bowl game. I would like to play them in a bowl game but I don't see any Big 12 v. Sun Belt Bowl match ups.

As bad as wvu was last year they still managed to beat Oklahoma St, and Virginia Tech, on the road and Oklahoma and Baylor at home. Thus, they have beaten quality programs even when down. They have a good offensive line and a good running back core this year. They will win at least 4 this year, and probably will win 6 and get a minor bowl game. I would like to play them in a bowl game but I don't see any Big 12 v. Sun Belt Bowl match ups.

There are a number of reasons we will absolutely never play WVU in a bowl game...

1. They won't accept any bid where we are the opponent.
2. There are no conference tie-ins.
3. No one outside of the state of WV would give a rats ass about that game (no TV ratings).
4. What bowl location would want to host that matchup? Myrtle Beach?

As has been stated on here a thousand times, playing WVU in football does neither program any good whatsoever... WVU doesn't need us, they certainly dont want to play us, and if they lost to us it would be a crater sized hole in their superiority complex... We don't need WVU, only a minority of our fanbase wants to play them, and losing to them further fuels their superiority complex.

IMO, we should play WVU in every single sport (and we pretty much do), except football.

There are a number of reasons we will absolutely never play WVU in a bowl game...

3. No one outside of the state of WV would give a rats ass about that game (no TV ratings).

As has been stated on here a thousand times, playing WVU in football does neither program any good whatsoever... WVU doesn't need us, they certainly dont want to play us, and if they lost to us it would be a crater sized hole in their superiority complex... We don't need WVU, only a minority of our fanbase wants to play them, and losing to them further fuels their superiority complex.

IMO, we should play WVU in every single sport (and we pretty much do), except football.
Well said and spot on. With a new b'ball coach, they may entertain playing us again. But we'll see how that mess turns out. I won't lose sleep over it.

Well said and spot on. With a new b'ball coach, they may entertain playing us again. But we'll see how that mess turns out. I won't lose sleep over it.
They’ve offered to play us a few times over the last few years but we’ve declined….a 2 game series with one in Charleston and one in Morgantown as well as a payday trip to Morgantown during Covid year.

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
They’ve offered to play us a few times over the last few years but we’ve declined….a 2 game series with one in Charleston and one in Morgantown as well as a payday trip to Morgantown during Covid year.
I would say no as well. Either rotate or none at all. As said, I won't lose sleep over not playing them. We don't need them.

Now that Huggins is gone, I anticipate the men's Marshall v. wvu basketball series (the Chesapeake Energy Capital Classic), will again be played once a year, in the Charleston civic center. The only reason it was ever discontinued in the first place was because in 2014, after a close wvu win, Bob Huggins got his bowels in an uproar because Dan D’Antoni said, "We're back" and "if they don't want to play us again, they are afraid." Huggins took exception to this and his response was "fkkk you, we will never play you again for accusing us of being afraid." That was in 2014, and apart from the 2018 NCAA tourney loss to wvu, the two teams have never played each other again. Well, now, Huggins is gone. A once a year game in the neutral Charleston civic center only makes sense. It was played for 25 straight straight seasons in Charleston between 1992 - 2015. I went to several of those. It was always a good time. Very little conflict between the two sides at the games, perhaps, because most Marshall and wvu people are primarily football fans.

Last edited:

wvu has absolutely no bargaining power to turn down a bowl game on the grounds of not wanting to play Marshall.
To everyone outside of WV, that would create interest. The Big 12 would respectfully (by really calling them a bunch of cousin fu*king hillbillies) remind wvu, they are nothing, and to take the bowl game and money.
If not? Suffer the social consequences of being a meme for the younger generation...and trust me, they will pounce on such an act.
Plus, ESPN, if they see a potential good.matchup, will basically force their hand into it...again, making the Big 12 tell them to grow up and play.

As you said, there aren't any conference tie-ins so both are safe for now anyway.

The last part is still a very weak argument.

If MU beats wvu, all it does is give MU bragging rights for the game won.
Wvu will brag about still holding the lead.

Life will literally move on...so will they.
As far as I know, with states that treat football far more intensely than WV does, there hasn't been a substantial meltdown of leadership and the Rapture hasn't happened.
Their fan base is already melting down from their terrible seasons recently.
They are also choking slowly on the pill of reality that is, they bring no value whatsoever to any real, major conference.
They'll continue to bleed money with the travel, now to Utah and another Texas school. They'll have a healthy contingent in Florida, but again, travel there is costly.

They'll get annihilated on the recruiting trail because unless your name is ohio state, Penn State, or Michigan, nobody is going to want to exist up north in the freezing cold when the majority of your conference is in the south.

You are giving a game that isn't supposed to matter to either program, too much credit for mattering to either program.
wvu isn't going to get many chances to sell out their stadium with the conference slate since the wind is completely out of their sails.

Reactions: Jartard

Oklahoma doesn't care that wvu beat them in what could be said, by their standards, as one of the worst years they've had.

They also lost to Kansas...KANSAS!!!

Everyone has a good offensive line, good running backs, etc...anyone can claim a program has everything needed, but that doesn't erase the terrible coaching or literal lack of depth to keep up with the programs who actually recruit more than starters.

If any of what you said wvu could do, actually mattered, wvu would be out of the Big 12...and literally anywhere else better.

It comes down to money, and they don't produce nearly enough of it...and the NCAA isn't going to be charitable, at all, ever.

The silly thing is, without huggins, their program isn't really that prestigious.
They're a solid, middle of the pack program.
Good for a Sweet 16 and a bounce. Occasional wins over a top team (but it's basketball, that happens literally every week), they are competitive in a conference led by the image of football, and their glory days exist in a conference that is a shell of it's former shell.

Now that Huggins is gone, I anticipate the men's Marshall v. wvu basketball series (the Chesapeake Energy Capital Classic), will again be played once a year, in the Charleston civic center. The only reason it was ever discontinued in the first place was because in 2014, after a close wvu win, Bob Huggins got his bowels in an uproar because Dan D’Antoni said, "We're back" and "if they don't want to play us again, they are afraid." Huggins took exception to this and his response was "fkkk you, we will never play you again for accusing us of being afraid." That was in 2014, and apart from the 2018 NCAA tourney loss to wvu, the two teams have never played each other again. Well, now, Huggins is gone. A once a year game in the neutral Charleston civic center only makes sense. It was played for 25 straight straight seasons in Charleston between 1992 - 2015. I went to several of those. It was always a good time. Very little conflict between the two sides at the games, perhaps, because most Marshall and wvu people are primarily football fans.

Just reading that article, the man didn't care about wvu or the state...I'm glad he's gone and is now a wallowing worthless unemployable POS.

It would be awesome for the next HC to demand they play MU every year in Charleston.

wvu has absolutely no bargaining power to turn down a bowl game on the grounds of not wanting to play Marshall.
To everyone outside of WV, that would create interest. The Big 12 would respectfully (by really calling them a bunch of cousin fu*king hillbillies) remind wvu, they are nothing, and to take the bowl game and money.
If not? Suffer the social consequences of being a meme for the younger generation...and trust me, they will pounce on such an act.
Plus, ESPN, if they see a potential good.matchup, will basically force their hand into it...again, making the Big 12 tell them to grow up and play.
Teams "refuse" to play certain opponents in bowl games every single year... It happened twice just last year. Missouri "refused" to play Kansas, so ESPN and the SEC made them a work-around... Same with South Carolina "asking not to play" NC State. SC ended up with Notre Dame and NCSU played Maryland.

I dont know who would win a pissing match between WVU, ESPN and the Big12... But I know when teams specifically do not want to play one specific opponent for whatever reason, it typically gets worked out.

Teams "refuse" to play certain opponents in bowl games every single year... It happened twice just last year. Missouri "refused" to play Kansas, so ESPN and the SEC made them a work-around... Same with South Carolina "asking not to play" NC State. SC ended up with Notre Dame and NCSU played Maryland.

I dont know who would win a pissing match between WVU, ESPN and the Big12... But I know when teams specifically do not want to play one specific opponent for whatever reason, it typically gets worked out.

As stated above, there aren't any bowl tie-ins between the SBC and Big 12.

But I see that changing.
It's money driven.
Corporate sponsored bowls are dishing out pocket change once a season for teams to play in their games, you don't think eventually they're going to begin to dictate MORE of who they want to see play?

The conferences have zero integrity, hence the shifting and extinction of several long standing rivalries.

As said, a joke program like wvu is going to be placed in positions to play because if they refuse, their conference will make them.

WVU will not be playing at the "big boy's table". They will be playing in the Leftover Little 12. 12 teams united by one thing. No major conference wanted them and a refusal to admit to themselves (and their ignorant fan bases) what they are. Mid-majors.

If you are old enough, this is EXACTLY what WVU sports was back in the Fat Donnie/Crazy Gale eras. Play in a joke cupcake filled conference, convince retard fans that what goes on there has some semblance to major college sports.

Spamites will take the pill once again. These are not smart people, remember. "Wesens is gonna win that there national champeeeeenen ship, usens is so good, us theys beat that there Central Floridas and them those Texas Christians, that there is just like winning the SEC." Change the names of the cupcakes and it is the same idiocy Spamies spewed 30 years ago.

Memo to the Leftovers: You are mid-majors. Nothing more.
Dude, you are classless.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT