ADVERTISEMENT

All joking aside, would anyone be surprised if we finished 5-7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThunderCat98

Platinum Buffalo
Jun 23, 2007
fyvz.gif

Reactions: Elkview
I think we win more than 5... we play a weak schedule...but it will get us to a bowl.

We have played a weak schedule so far, not one team with a winning record. The schedule gets much harder going forward with 6 of the last 8 against current top 75 teams. We have played zero top 75 teams so far. If we play against those 6 like we did today we will lose all of them.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
It's the strongest schedule in a decade I think.
Is it though? It may have been preseason, but so far it doesn't appear to be. Sure it has two P5s, but it's not that 2010 schdule Doc had or some of those Snyder schedules.

Albany is 3-2, but they're an FCS.
ECU is 1-3
VT is 1-3
ODU is 2-3
NCST is 3-2 and don't look like anything special.

Our toughest based on current composite rankings are:

JMU
NC State
Ga State
App
Coastal
Ga So

It’s a hard schedule, but we haven’t played any of the 6 hard ones yet. For comparison, coming into the week, ODU
Was 110 and Coastal was 70 and the worst ranked of those 6 listed.

Our toughest based on current composite rankings are:

JMU
NC State
Ga State
App
Coastal
Ga So

It’s a hard schedule, but we haven’t played any of the 6 hard ones yet. For comparison, coming into the week, ODU
Was 110 and Coastal was 70 and the worst ranked of those 6 listed.
I would swap out USA in place of Coastal. I think they made a poor HC hire when their guy headed for Liberty …

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Not at all. We have so far struggled with a I-AA; beaten a bad AAC team that currently has one win, over I-AA Gardner-Webb; beat by seven at home the worst VPI team in a generation, currently which has lost to Big 10 doormats Purdue and Rutgers; and now a 2-3 ODU team that beat I-AA Texas A&M - Commerce, which was a DII school last year by one point. That is the weakest schedule we have had in, well, ever.

We have looked bad at this, every week. We are lucky. Luck turns around and normalizes over time. This a that that looks to go .500 and really should have gone less than that. We are not good.

Is it though? It may have been preseason, but so far it doesn't appear to be. Sure it has two P5s, but it's not that 2010 schdule Doc had or some of those Snyder schedules.

ECU is 1-3
VT is 1-3
ODU is 2-3
We can't control what others do. People will find reasons to discount everything we do , or inflate everything we do.

On the surface and preseason it was the toughest schedule in many years

ECU is 1-3
VT is 1-3
ODU is 2-3
Snyder played the toughest schedules by far and Doc the easiest

Not at all. We have so far struggled with a I-AA; beaten a bad AAC team that currently has one win, over I-AA Gardner-Webb; beat by seven at home the worst VPI team in a generation, currently which has lost to Big 10 doormats Purdue and Rutgers; and now a 2-3 ODU team that beat I-AA Texas A&M - Commerce, which was a DII school last year by one point. That is the weakest schedule we have had in, well, ever.

We have looked bad at this, every week. We are lucky. Luck turns around and normalizes over time. This a that that looks to go .500 and really should have gone less than that. We are not good.
This may be your most obvious “I am actually a NM St fan” post yet.
For any reasonable person to state that they wouldn’t be “at all” surprised that a football team, on any level, would start a 12 game schedule 4-0 and then finish 1-7 speaks to that person’s irrationality and ignorance of statistics. Do you (a gambling expert) think Vegas would even take that bet?
You hold yourself out as an expert on, well, everything, and yet here you throw intelligence out the window just to get responses like mine. Mission accomplished!!

ignorance of statistics.
Which "statistic" am I supposed to not understand? Please elaborate, with details and links, please.

"Statistics" has nothing to do with this discussion. The fact that this team is 4-0 and that that somehow says it should win further games, is not "statistics".

It is green colored glasses and delusion. This is a bad football team.

Which "statistic" am I supposed to not understand? Please elaborate, with details and links, please.

"Statistics" has nothing to do with this discussion. The fact that this team is 4-0 and that that somehow says it should win further games, is not "statistics".

…..hmmmm. Perhaps a poll to settle this debate?

Let’s see:
Team A has played 33.33 % of its schedule, achieving a 100% winning percentage. What is the probability that the team, over the remaining 66.66% of its schedule, will achieve a 14% winning percentage?

Last edited:

Pure ignorance. Keep up the good work. By the way. Good call a couple weeks ago with how VT fans were going to flood the Joan. The 600 of them that actually came were as quiet as you typically are after a win.

Pathetic.

You are perpetually incorrect, an embarrassing amount. I’m more of a reader of this board, and rarely. However, it seems like every time I log on, you have been very incorrect about whatever topic you’ve been discussing. I don’t necessarily disagree with your overall point here, that Marshall has been very average thus far. The thing that gives me hope that I’m wrong is that you have the same stance. Keep on keepin on.

"Statistics" has nothing to do with this discussion.
Of course it doesn't. The only "statistic" we pay attention too is... you're a loser. You essentially predicted 1-4 start and went so far as to suggest "luck" in winning any future game this season after week 1. You then slink away for a couple weeks and only return when threads like this pop up because we dont blow an opponent out. Marshall football isn't for you Sammy.

If I didn't know better, I'd say some want Fancher, Huff and this team to fail so they can say, I told you so.
They long for the good ole days - however you translate that to mean.
In addition, they prefer the team fighting each other in the parking lot, consistently quitting at half time, players regularly getting arrested instead of participating positively in the community, and generally not caring about winning or losing.

My comment wasn't an attempt to throw the team under the bus. I'm glad they're winning, even if it's ugly. That being said, as some have pointed out, we are just getting into the "meat" of our schedule. Besides South Alabama, there aren't any cupcakes left. They are going to have to play a whole lot better to beat the remaining teams. I hope they do, but what I've seen so far doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. Could easily see this play out at 5-7, 6-6, or 7-5. Again, I hope I'm wrong and they get it together. Like I said in another thread, if they could clean up the stupid penalties and execute, they have the talent to be world-beaters. 4 quarters of everyone playing their best could be scary good. I'm just not convinced this staff can put them in that position. If they do, I'll happily eat all the crow you can serve. I'm a pessimist by nature, so maybe its just my own self-deluded negativity. Guess we'll see starting next week.

Edit: fwiw, I don't think NC State is anywhere near the toughest remaining games. Watched them play Louisville and was not impressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jartard
This team is not as good as its current record... That doesn't make it "bad."

Old Dominion is the new MTSU - For some reason, even when the suck, they still give us fits. And it was the traditional "trap game" between two ACC games.

What was most concerning about Saturday was our lack of defensive adjustments. I thought our defensive scheme was terrible against Albany, then very good against ECU and VT... Then absolutely pathetic Saturday. Playing nickel every play and only having 6 guys in the box (our corners were playing 10+ yards off most plays and we had two deep safeties 20+ yards off) is how you give up 300 yards rushing to a backup walk-on QB and a RB who hadn't cracked 100 yards for the season.

After the second 60+ yard touchdown run, make an adjustment. We didn't and almost lost to a bad team because of it. Hopefully our defensive coaches have more time in the film room this week ahead of NCSU.

Of course it doesn't. The only "statistic" we pay attention too is... you're a loser. You essentially predicted 1-4 start and went so far as to suggest "luck" in winning any future game this season after week 1. You then slink away for a couple weeks and only return when threads like this pop up because we dont blow an opponent out. Marshall football isn't for you Sammy.
I tried to tell him to stick to television information and wvu bashing, only subjects he can intelligently discuss.

Really bad posting. MU fans used to be better than this. We used to understand football and DEMAND good football. You all sound like a bunch of Spamites. Just a big circle jerk of "we are good", "no, we are great", "no, we are really great", "we are going to win the national championship" idiocy. And, when someone dares ask a question, respond not with facts or logic, but with meaningless conclusory insults.

Because there are no facts to dispute what is being said.

This team is 4-0 and has a 1000 times better chance of being 6-6 than anything better. It is lucky. It has played cupcakes. It isn't very good.

Really bad posting. MU fans used to be better than this. We used to understand football and DEMAND good football. You all sound like a bunch of Spamites. Just a big circle jerk of "we are good", "no, we are great", "no, we are really great", "we are going to win the national championship" idiocy. And, when someone dares ask a question, respond not with facts or logic, but with meaningless conclusory insults.

Because there are no facts to dispute what is being said.

This team is 4-0 and has a 1000 times better chance of being 6-6 than anything better. It is lucky. It has played cupcakes. It isn't very good.
Who is saying "we are great- really great- win the Natl Championship"? Answer: No one. Quit with your nonsense. You would be better off spending your time on the WV board. You're no fan of Marshall. Highly doubtful you've even watched the games and chosen to focus on looking at the final score only for your "analysis".

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT