ADVERTISEMENT

All joking aside, would anyone be surprised if we finished 5-7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a legit program in I-A that doesn't have a QB coach?

Marshall seems to think this position isn't needed.
Not sure what you mean but at this level I think you would be hard pressed to find many teams with a QB only. Many teams the OC is also the QB coach. In the pros things are different
Here is a link to what many feel is a legit program without a dedicated QB coach

I thought we would go 8-4, but now see 7-5 as a real possibility! Our QB problem is that we have an athlete playing QB - who isn't accurate down field, holds the ball too long, doesn't read the defense, only throws when the WR is wide open, and floats the ball vs. throwing it with intent. Maybe a stretch of losses will expose it.

5-7 looks like a realistic prediction at this point.

JMU- best team we will play all year. Big loss.
Coastal- good QB will shred us.
App- not great but it’s on the road.
Ga Southern- great offense will shred us part 2
South Alabama- not great but good and it’s on the road potentially riding a 6 game losing streak.
Ark State- they are hideous so that’s a win.

Could we win some of these? I could see us beating Coastal, App, or Ga Southern but not all of them.

5-7 looks like a realistic prediction at this point.

JMU- best team we will play all year. Big loss.
Coastal- good QB will shred us.
App- not great but it’s on the road.
Ga Southern- great offense will shred us part 2
South Alabama- not great but good and it’s on the road potentially riding a 6 game losing streak.
Ark State- they are hideous so that’s a win.

Could we win some of these? I could see us beating Coastal, App, or Ga Southern but not all of them.
If I were guessing, based on what we've seen thus far, we're 7-5 at best with the remaining schedule. If we win anything over 7, it would be a phenomenal job by the staff and players going forward. 6-6 seems likely, with 5-7 still a real, but terribly disappointing, possibility.

We can't beat JMU based on how we've played to date. That's a loss. I don't think we win that game if we were going in 6-0.

I agree that Coastal, Appy St., and Ga. Southern are all toss-ups. I think we likely win one of those, and if everything bounces our way, possibly two. I don't see any real possibility of us winning all 3.

Arkansas State should be a slam-dunk win, unless the team and staff have all quit, which would be grounds for cleaning house.

When I made the OP, I was half joking. But if we lose bad to JMU and lose all morale, it's not unreasonable that we drop the next 3 as well.

Sad thing is, take away the stupid penalties and poor coaching, and we could easily be sitting at 6-0.

Sad thing is, take away the stupid penalties and poor coaching, and we could easily be sitting at 6-0.
I dont know who our special teams coach is, but he should have been "reassigned" this morning... Our special teams has been absolutely pathetic all year and it cost us the game yesterday, plain and simple. Blocked punt for TD, roughing the punter on a gimme punt situation, that leads to the game-clinching TD. Cant kick a field goal over 40 yards, kickoffs out of bounds, stupid pooch kicks at dumb times, penalties galore. It's been a nightmare for six games.

The defense not being able to stop the run is also a definite issue. As was pointed out last week, we look slow and robotic at linebacker and we aren't very athletic at safety either. If the back gets through our line, its 10, 15, 20 yards or more.

Fancher is what he is... He's a game manager... And that's fine if you have a great defense and can make an occasional big play on special teams. We dont.

Looking at the schedule the only "sure" win is Arkansas State on Senior Night... I felt pretty good about winning two of Georgia State, Coastal, App and GA Southern, but after watching last nights game I have much less confidence.

…..and don’t look now, but JMU is playing for top 25 in both AP & Coach’s polls (currently 26th in both). Yeah, they might be a little motivated…..

We still have A qb problem
You going to blame the QB for that loss.? Stupid penalties cost us that game . Injuries to key players are now a problem . We still have a good football team. Georgia State is a really good team also. Whoever still claims we have a weak schedule just doesnt know football.
I thought we would go 8-4, but now see 7-5 as a real possibility! Our QB problem is that we have an athlete playing QB - who isn't accurate down field, holds the ball too long, doesn't read the defense, only throws when the WR is wide open, and floats the ball vs. throwing it with intent. Maybe a stretch of losses will expose it.
We have to have an athlete playing QB. The way our offensive line blocks he has to be able to scramble really good to keep the plays alive. Perhaps keeping an extra blocker in the backfield like Middle Tennesee used to use against us might not be a bad idea to give our QB a better chance to go through his options. We have some pretty fast receivers they just dont have time to run their routes so much of the time. On defense I dont like that soft coverage. We just spotted them a TD on the first drive using that type of coverage.

You going to blame the QB for that loss.? Stupid penalties cost us that game . Injuries to key players are now a problem . We still have a good football team. Georgia State is a really good team also. Whoever still claims we have a weak schedule just doesnt know football.

We have to have an athlete playing QB. The way our offensive line blocks he has to be able to scramble really good to keep the plays alive. Perhaps keeping an extra blocker in the backfield like Middle Tennesee used to use against us might not be a bad idea to give our QB a better chance to go through his options. We have some pretty fast receivers they just dont have time to run their routes so much of the time. On defense I dont like that soft coverage. We just spotted them a TD on the first drive using that type of coverage.
While the OL isn't great by any stretch, Cam takes a lot of hit from holding onto the ball too long. The announcer called it several times last night that we had open WRs streaking down field and Cam just freezing up. While he may not be the blame he sure isn't good enough to propel this team to victories.

While the OL isn't great by any stretch, Cam takes a lot of hit from holding onto the ball too long. The announcer called it several times last night that we had open WRs streaking down field and Cam just freezing up. While he may not be the blame he sure isn't good enough to propel this team to victories.

10-3

But sure. He doesn’t help propel teams to victories

Last edited:
I love how you continue to attribute those wins to only Cam. Our offense last season was bad. That defense and Laborn were much bigger factors in those wins.

He may not be bad, but he isn't good either. I bet you thought Brian Anderson and Mark Cann were good QBs too.
You're talking about the guy who wore Graham Gochnuer PJs to bed every night in the early 2000's

I love how you continue to attribute those wins to only Cam. Our offense last season was bad. That defense and Laborn were much bigger factors in those wins.

He may not be bad, but he isn't good either. I bet you thought Brian Anderson and Mark Cann were good QBs too.

I love how in one post you say he can’t help propel teams to victories. Yet he has. I didn’t say it was all him. But he is one of only two players on the team that touches the ball on every offensive play. So. I would say he plays a pretty daggone big part in winning a football game

I love how in one post you say he can’t help propel teams to victories. Yet he has. I didn’t say it was all him. But he is one of only two players on the team that touches the ball on every offensive play. So. I would say he plays a pretty daggone big part in winning a football game
So it’s all because of our center using your logic.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
10-3

But sure. He doesn’t help propel teams to victories
Can we please stop with this bs narrative. He didn't win but maybe 1 or 2 or those games. Most of those wins came against teams with losing records and our run game and d won them. Now with that being said, Fancher is NOT the reason we have lost 2 in a row. Terrible defense and questionable play calling is the reason.

we had open WRs streaking down field and Cam just freezing up.
Yes, it happened several times against GaSt. This is the part of Cam's game that holds our offense back at key moments. He isn't accurate down the field. Additionally, we have receivers dropping easy passes too which would help move the chains. Teams are crowding the line of scrimmage. Until we can consistently complete throws that stretch the defense, our offense will be inconsistent.

wrong and it is hard to throw the ball with DL always in your face.

Reactions: herd66
wrong and it is hard to throw the ball with DL always in your face.
Right, that's the only reason 😆

It's not because Cam poses little to no deep threat, which is a combination of his inaccurate throws plus WRs dropping passes.

Opposing teams have caught onto this and are crowding the box, taking away our ability to run. They're also greatly reducing his bread and butter which is tucking the ball and running.

It's not because Cam poses little to no deep threat, which is a combination of his inaccurate throws plus WRs dropping passes.

Opposing teams have caught onto this and are crowding the box, taking away our ability to run. They're also greatly reducing his bread and butter which is tucking the ball and running.

Whats odd in your summary is that now that teams have "caught on to this"

We have went from averaging 25.5 points per game, to averaging 35.5 points per game. I hope they continue to "catch" on to things!!!

GO HERD

We have went from averaging 25.5 points per game, to averaging 35.5 points per game. I hope they continue to "catch" on to things!!!

GO HERD
Yeah, because when you're 0-2 in the previous 2 games, there's still moral victories!

Amirite?

GO HERD
Oh, my poor man - amazingly, the opponents DID catch on, scoring 44.5 points per game. This math you speak of is not working in our favor, no?

We have great running backs but its the offensive line that does not block well that causes us not to be able to pass the ball like we want to. Cabe Conley being injured has hurt our passing game. Pierce is making great progress and will help more in future games . How can a QB throw deep when he dont have time to throw and the receivers lack time to run the routes. Defensive mistakes and stupid penalties cost us the game any way not Fancher. That roughing the punter was the biggest mistake of the game.

How many times did Fancher have to somehow get away from would be tacklers who came in almost immediately on him? How many quarterbacks are as elusive as him. Most would get sacked right away.

How many times did Fancher have to somehow get away from would be tacklers who came in almost immediately on him? How many quarterbacks are as elusive as him. Most would get sacked right away.
He's not accurate when he's got all day to sit on the pocket. The Online sucks but there's extra pressure trying to protect the QB when they stuff the box.

It isn't as simple as you're trying to make it out to be. Fancher is a good athlete playing QB not a QB who's athletic. Read RockBankerDog's thread "Fun Facts."

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
We have great running backs but its the offensive line that does not block well that causes us not to be able to pass the ball like we want to. Cabe Conley being injured has hurt our passing game. Pierce is making great progress and will help more in future games . How can a QB throw deep when he dont have time to throw and the receivers lack time to run the routes. Defensive mistakes and stupid penalties cost us the game any way not Fancher. That roughing the punter was the biggest mistake of the game.
The OL has trouble blocking because the defense is loading the box every single play because they know that Cam isn't a threat to beat them deep on a consistent enough basis. Opposing DCs know that the key to beating us is stopping Ali.

Also there were WRs open down field all night the other night. Cam was just holding on to the ball too long or not even looking. The announcer called him on it several times during the game.

Reactions: mlblack16.
He's not accurate when he's got all day to sit on the pocket. The Online sucks but there's extra pressure trying to protect the QB when they stuff the box.

It isn't as simple as you're trying to make it out to be. Fancher is a good athlete playing QB not a QB who's athletic. Read RockBankerDog's thread "Fun Facts."
How often does Fancher have all day in the pocket?Especially against good teams like Georgia State.

How often does Fancher have all day in the pocket?Especially against good teams like Georgia State.
There were several times he had plenty of time to see what was going on and froze up. Yes there are times he gets hit pretty quickly, but he has plenty of time to read the field. The announcers commented on it a few times. I've been seeing it all year long and really since he took over. Cam is a grip and rip QB. He like to take the snap and immediately throw it. Sometimes without really paying attention. That's how several of his INTs have happened. When that first read isn't there he kind of freezes up.

Here's the biggest example that comes to mind. Go back and watch the game from Saturday. At the 11:02 mark of the 4th quarter we just took over and it's 1st&10 from the 25. #4 Demarcus Harris is streaking wide open down the sideline after burning the coverage. What does Cam do. He steps up in the pocket, pump fakes, runs, pump fakes, then takes off scrambling out of bounds. There was PERFECT protection on that play and he had 5 seconds before he decided to run with it. That is an eternity. This is one that the guys in the booth replayed to show how open Harris was.

This happens a good bit during the game, but Cam either check down to the closest guy to him or he scrambles.

Until he starts hitting those guys downfield we're never going to see a lightened box and we're going to continue to struggle.

If you need me to show you plays when this happened during games, then I suggest you drink some extra coffee before kickoff so you quit dosing off in your geri-chair, you old fart.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT