ADVERTISEMENT

All joking aside, would anyone be surprised if we finished 5-7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really bad posting. MU fans used to be better than this. We used to understand football and DEMAND good football. You all sound like a bunch of Spamites. Just a big circle jerk of "we are good", "no, we are great", "no, we are really great", "we are going to win the national championship" idiocy. And, when someone dares ask a question, respond not with facts or logic, but with meaningless conclusory insults.

Because there are no facts to dispute what is being said.

This team is 4-0 and has a 1000 times better chance of being 6-6 than anything better. It is lucky. It has played cupcakes. It isn't very good.
are you laying odds on or offering a over 6 win total bet?? you should be able to clean up. I'll cut your odds and take over 6 wins and you can only pay me 100-1 not a 1000 -1.

If I didn't know better, I'd say some want Fancher, Huff and this team to fail so they can say, I told you so.
They long for the good ole days - however you translate that to mean.
Same with the prior regime.

Some just can't accept being wrong and the amount of damage they'd want to see done to show they're right is insane.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Not at all. We have so far struggled with a I-AA; beaten a bad AAC team that currently has one win, over I-AA Gardner-Webb; beat by seven at home the worst VPI team in a generation, currently which has lost to Big 10 doormats Purdue and Rutgers; and now a 2-3 ODU team that beat I-AA Texas A&M - Commerce, which was a DII school last year by one point. That is the weakest schedule we have had in, well, ever.

We have looked bad at this, every week. We are lucky. Luck turns around and normalizes over time. This a that that looks to go .500 and really should have gone less than that. We are not good.
Dear Coach,

This delusional fan base does NOT have your back. It expects to win every game, but does not consider that an accomplishment.

- Marshall is supposed to win every game it plays, because, well, umm, umm, umm, it is supposed to.

- Our conference mates are all no good. Because they are not Marshall, which is supposed to win every game, because, umm, umm, umm, it is supposed to.

RESPECT our opponents

Respect our opponents.
We are 4-0 Sammy. Go back to NM St.

So, we’d be a playoff caliber FCS?
Probably ranked #1, and the favorite to win it all. My main point was, many were already predicting a season of doom and gloom with the non blowout win over Albany to start the season. Saying they were a horrible, below average FCS team. Well that doesn't appear to be the case, as they're getting votes in the FCS coaches poll, and are ranked in various FCS sports writers polls.

Probably ranked #1, and the favorite to win it all. My main point was, many were already predicting a season of doom and gloom with the non blowout win over Albany to start the season. Saying they were a horrible, below average FCS team. Well that doesn't appear to be the case, as they're getting votes in the FCS coaches poll, and are ranked in various FCS sports writers polls.
We still struggled with them. I doubt we’d beat the top 2-3 FCS schools…and that’s not a knock on us either. That’s not an impressive school. https://ualbanysports.com/sports/football/schedule/2023

We still struggled with them. I doubt we’d beat the top 2-3 FCS schools…and that’s not a knock on us either. That’s not an impressive school. https://ualbanysports.com/sports/football/schedule/2023
I will repeat one game does not make a season. Virtually every team has at least one bad game in a season. Besides did you notice the play of that Pierce guy catching the ball. He is making a big difference in our passing game now?

Marshall hasn't exactly dominated these teams like they should.
Yes, they're 4-0, but how much of that is really because MU is THAT much better than their opponents?
Should it have mattered that MU beat a terrible Cincy team on the road? Should it have mattered the final record of Purdue when MU beat them at the Joan?
It used to. Nobody gave that team a shred of credit for just winning the game against a superior out of/in conference opponent. All they did was look at how little MU scored, or the other team's record.

This VT team might not finish above .500, and prior regimes were crucified for it,
"But uhhhhhhhh winning records!!!"

Now, nobody seems to care that VT is quite bad, and are happy MU won.

It's fine to be that way, but don't pretend to have always been that way.

Marshall is 4-0. Great! I'm happy they are.
But in no way should they have not put at least 45 on Albany and held them to under double digits unless a garbage time score.

ECU is absolutely awful...like terrible.

From 1993-2020 Virginia Tech has been to a bowl game...and they might not make it this year...which is an easy measurement of having one of their worst teams in damn near 30 years.

ODU simply didnt have the depth MU has...but they were better coached and were ready. Their game plan was simple enough to keep up with MU...and that is worrysome.

I will repeat one game does not make a season. Virtually every team has at least one bad game in a season. Besides did you notice the play of that Pierce guy catching the ball. He is making a big difference in our passing game now?

Yes it does. It absolutely does. Whenever MU lost under the prior regime, everyone packed it in and declared the season over.
Based on what you said, if that be the case, then all regimes should be forgiven for at least 1 bad loss since Pruett.
But we all know that isn't the case with many.
All that matters is the narrative, and that's fine, just be honest with it.

If you don't like someone doing a job but can't fire them, you're gonna look at them differently than someone you do like...however, they're doing the same job.

Would this board be the same, happy about beating VT, not overly critical of the individual player performances, not demanding the jobs of anyone on the team (which is a shocker, usually by now someone is called to be fired), and being
4-0 or even 3-1 under the prior regime?

I highly doubt it.

I think in his own dumb way, that's what Goddamn Sam is trying to say.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jartard
I think what Goddamn Sam is trying to say, is Marshall hasn't exactly dominated these teams like they should.
Yes, they're 4-0, but how much of that is really because MU is THAT much better than their opponents?
Should it have mattered that MU beat a terrible Cincy team on the road? Should it have mattered the final record of Purdue when MU beat them at the Joan?
It used to. Nobody gave that team a shred of credit for just winning the game against a superior out of/in conference opponent. All they did was look at how little MU scored, or the other team's record.

This VT team might not finish above .500, and prior regimes were crucified for it,
"But uhhhhhhhh winning records!!!"

Now, nobody seems to care that VT is quite bad, and are happy MU won.

It's fine to be that way, but don't pretend to have always been that way.

Marshall is 4-0. Great! I'm happy they are.
But in no way should they have not put at least 45 on Albany and held them to under double digits unless a garbage time score.

ECU is absolutely awful...like terrible.

From 1993-2020 Virginia Tech has been to a bowl game...and they might not make it this year...which is an easy measurement of having one of their worst teams in damn near 30 years.

ODU simply didnt have the depth MU has...but they were better coached and were ready. Their game plan was simple enough to keep up with MU...and that is worrysome.

Yes it does. It absolutely does. Whenever MU lost under the prior regime, everyone packed it in and declared the season over.
Based on what you said, if that be the case, then all regimes should be forgiven for at least 1 bad loss since Pruett.
But we all know that isn't the case with many.
All that matters is the narrative, and that's fine, just be honest with it.

If you don't like someone doing a job but can't fire them, you're gonna look at them differently than someone you do like...however, they're doing the same job.

Would this board be the same, happy about beating VT, not overly critical of the individual player performances, not demanding the jobs of anyone on the team (which is a shocker, usually by now someone is called to be fired), and being
4-0 or even 3-1 under the prior regime?

I highly doubt it.

I think in his own dumb way, that's what Goddamn Sam is trying to say.
Nice effort in giving Sammy the benefit of the doubt. Several issues with the explanation though.

Unfortunately, it came down to playing for conference titles with the last guy. Contending for conference titles, period. It was discussed endlessly on here. I dont remember anyone downplaying beating Purdue or Cincy. We grew restless with inconsistent wins vs losses in the conference. Sammy was happy just to have wins. We beat Purdue but knew we couldn't handle an FAU. The straw that broke the camel's back?? The final season: a team completely fractured, multiple players arrested and/or underperforming over the years, using a COVID excuse to slink out of a conference game (LMAO), an apathetic "recruiting guru" who seemed to be uninterested in the Marshall community and... the usual...no championship opportunity.

Maybe Marshall fans should have been pissed we endured the "young team" excuse for the 1st 4-5 seasons of a watered down CUSA, but we are a patient bunch for our "Local WV Boy" coaches. But I digress.

And yes...Sammy is dumb. In the context of our discussion, winning without playing for championships in the end is meaningless after multiple seasons of high expectations. No one suggested undefeated seasons or Nat Championships the way Sammy claimed. Those are completely dishonest claims and straw man arguments in an effort to support his guy.

Just for fun...another one of Sammy predictions during those CUSA years: Lane Kiffin wont win anything at FAU. Multiple 10 win seasons after a decade of sub .500 play, 2 Conf titles in 3 years later, and Sammy slinks away (again).

Where are we now? 3 years into Huff, this will be a crucial year towards contending/playing for a conference championship IMO. We need to contend for a title. I think most of the pieces are here to do it. The inconsistencies on the field need ironed out. Like with the last guy, I appreciate the wins, and (like Doc) wont call for his head in year 3 simply because we aren't blowing teams out despite winning "because we should". Does this team have some challenges? Yes. What team doesn't. But, 10 straight wins is nothing to downplay during this ever-changing landscape of college football. I'm not sour on Huff, yet.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Sam:
You don’t get to have it both ways. Either you stick with your original comment (above), or you agree w/ Sisters.
Which is it - Shocked that we go 5-7? or Not at all surprised that we go 5-7?
There is no way this team is going to be 5-7. I do not even know where you are coming from but you certainly are not a Marshall fan or even know anything about sports. Your posts are useless.

Nice effort in giving Sammy the benefit of the doubt. Several issues with the explanation though.

Unfortunately, it came down to playing for conference titles with the last guy. Contending for conference titles, period. It was discussed endlessly on here. I dont remember anyone downplaying beating Purdue or Cincy. We grew restless with inconsistent wins vs losses in the conference. Sammy was happy just to have wins. We beat Purdue but knew we couldn't handle an FAU. The straw that broke the camel's back?? The final season: a team completely fractured, multiple players arrested and/or underperforming over the years, using a COVID excuse to slink out of a conference game (LMAO), an apathetic "recruiting guru" who seemed to be uninterested in the Marshall community and... the usual...no championship opportunity.

Marshall was usually in contention for the divisional title in most of Doc's seasons. Criteria and a bad loss in division usually determined the outcome. You speak of Lane Kiffin, who lost more to Doc than he won...and that being an example.
It sucks, but it happens. Not something to place all blame on someone for.

Everyone downplayed Cincy and Prudue wins, by talking about their final records to justify "MU didn't beat anyone with a winning record" which, everyone is going to ignore this season if VT and ECU finish as bad as they're projected.

Restlessness with inconsistency is the norm these days, regardless of who is in charge, I agree with you on that. Huff goes from beating Notre Dame to losing to Bowling Green.

Maybe Marshall fans should have been pissed we endured the "young team" excuse for the 1st 4-5 seasons of a watered down CUSA, but we are a patient bunch for our "Local WV Boy" coaches. But I digress.

And yes...Sammy is dumb. In the context of our discussion, winning without playing for championships in the end is meaningless after multiple seasons of high expectations. No one suggested undefeated seasons or Nat Championships the way Sammy claimed. Those are completely dishonest claims and straw man arguments in an effort to support his guy.

I agree, he is dumb. MU doesn't have to play for titles to be relevant or known. Western and MTSU have the most team titles in CUSA (last I checked) and both got ZERO invites to move up. I credit the last regime for keeping MU in a positive enough light to help make MU valuable to a higher/better SBC. Of course, MU fans would disagree and coin the term "mediocre" tomdescribe the last regime...meanwhile, on the VT board, they'd love to be "mediocre" by the numbers/records standards.

Where are we now? 3 years into Huff, this will be a crucial year towards contending/playing for a conference championship IMO. We need to contend for a title. I think most of the pieces are here to do it. The inconsistencies on the field need ironed out. Like with the last guy, I appreciate the wins, and (like Doc) wont call for his head in year 3 simply because we aren't blowing teams out despite winning "because we should". Does this team have some challenges? Yes. What team doesn't. But, 10 straight wins is nothing to downplay during this ever-changing landscape of college football. I'm not sour on Huff, yet.

I agree. Winning games is important and I feel this is going to be it for Huff because he will be gone.
I do think, unless it's someone we can tell is going to be here for a while, the pressure is likely going to be more focused on titles anyway. Said HC is going to want to have a good looking resume and be gone in 3 years, MU is going to want a conference title from them in return for their salary.

I also agree, 10 straight wins isn't something to downplay, unless you're the prior regime with the annoying question, "the teams Huff beat had losing records."
Inconsistency exists everywhere it seems.

Western and MTSU have the most team titles in CUSA (last I checked) and both got ZERO invites to move up.
"moving up" was never the measuring stick to justify wanting titles.
Marshall was usually in contention for the divisional title in most of Doc's seasons. Criteria and a bad loss in division usually determined the outcome.
1 conference title...enough said. We rarely controlled our own destiny. We relied on someone else losing to be in "contention".
Winning games is important and I feel this is going to be it for Huff because he will be gone
If he has us in a place to win a conference title this season, possibly.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan

1 conference title...enough said. We rarely controlled our own destiny. We relied on someone else losing to be in "contention".

Yeah, I think people look at 2014 and think that's the way it was every year. Hardly. Doc gave us consistency, while good, that was it. Frankly, any other AD not named Hamrick likely would have fired him after 2016.

I think (hope, pray) for at least this week, that Doern is having the same problem in Raleigh. 10th season at the same school….how much of the troubles the Wolfpack is suffering from this season is staleness top to bottom?
It seems unless your last name is Saban, it eventually catches up to most college Head coaches …….

Yes it was...it absolutely was. Marshall doesn't get an invite to the AAC first round...everyone blames lack of conference titles.
It was literally the reason anyone thought MU could move up. "We win CUSA enough, the AAaC will want us."

MU did control their own destiny. It came down to the final game a few times, usually with WKU or FAU to determine the outcome of the season.

We will see. The coaching against NC State was questionable. Fancher is the most unusual QB I can think of. He does a few things right and effectively enough to do well, but his mistakes are so boneheaded you want to bench him.
MU had a solid lead and blew it, and our DL has improved...only let NC State score once on a literal hand off up the middle as opposed to ODU.
But it's possibly on his coordinators more than himself.

Yes it was...it absolutely was. Marshall doesn't get an invite to the AAC first round...everyone blames lack of conference titles.
It was literally the reason anyone thought MU could move up. "We win CUSA enough, the AAaC will want us."

MU did control their own destiny. It came down to the final game a few times, usually with WKU or FAU to determine the outcome of the season.

We will see. The coaching against NC State was questionable. Fancher is the most unusual QB I can think of. He does a few things right and effectively enough to do well, but his mistakes are so boneheaded you want to bench him.
MU had a solid lead and blew it, and our DL has improved...only let NC State score once on a literal hand off up the middle as opposed to ODU.
We didn't get an AAC invite due to our small market. That's it pure and simple.
Inviting Charlotte proved that

Why do you people keep putting Fancher down? He played a whale of a game . He had to scramble constantly and was sacked 6 times and having to run all over the place to make plays . That defensive line of N C State is very good . Fancher makes The Herd go with his feet and he is excellent on those short and intermediate passes. This was the toughest team Marshall will play all season except for possibly that game at Appalachian State.

calling it now - Herd will finish 8-4 unfortunately. Run defense and pass offense are not strong enough.

Last edited:
Why do you people keep putting Fancher down? He played a whale of a game . He had to scramble constantly and was sacked 6 times and having to run all over the place to make plays . That defensive line of N C State is very good . Fancher makes The Herd go with his feet and he is excellent on those short and intermediate passes. This was the toughest team Marshall will play all season except for possibly that game at Appalachian State.
I agree. Although there are things that Fancher really needs to work on, last night was a team loss. Fancher, the WR, the Oline, Dline ect all made mistakes. Some more cruicial than others. Osbornes tough guy act cost us a 1st down. Not saying that 1st down would have changed the outcome but when you're down with only a few minutes left, you do not make a stupid decision like that.

What do you mean by, "you people??" @MichiganHerd posts on this board too, you know.

I expect 8-4 due to the lack of down field accuracy. That is not going to fly in the Fun Belt . The short passing game exclusively will not be productive in this conference. If we can figure out at least a little bit of a down field threat 10 wins would be nice.

Unless I am mistaken, Cam's passes are off more often to his right? Do we need a coach specifically for QB's?

• Wow
He had to scramble constantly and was sacked 6 times and having to run all over the place to make plays .
Those scrambles could have been big yards if he had tucked and run when no one was open. Sometimes he holds the ball too long. When you're facing a dfense like that, you dont have all day to sit in the pocket. You eliminate the turnovers we had on offense yesterday, and I give our offense a very good day. We definitely scored enough points to win.

I agree. Although there are things that Fancher really needs to work on, last night was a team loss. Fancher, the WR, the Oline, Dline ect all made mistakes. Some more cruicial than others. Osbornes tough guy act cost us a 1st down. Not saying that 1st down would have changed the outcome but when you're down with only a few minutes left, you do not make a stupid decision like that.
I tell you what really cost us the game in one word CONCEPTION. I think our offense was terrific to score that many points against that defense of N C State.

I tell you what really cost us the game in one word CONCEPTION. I think our offense was terrific to score that many points against that defense of N C State.
Oldie - replace that T w/a C and I’m 100% with you! That kid was the cream in their coffee yday. Heckuva receiver, esp a frosh…
CONCEPCION

He hurt them running the ball too. He looked like an All American out there. Oh yes I did mispell that .
CONCEPTION:
The moment our coaching staff gets a clue as to effective game planning & implementing it to the players…….

IMMACULATE CONCEPTION:
The players execute it consistently, and we finish the regular season 11-1, getting set to host SBCC in early December (cue the Wise Men!)

Last edited:
CONCEPTION:
The moment our coaching staff gets a clue as to effective game planning & implementing it to the players…….

IMMACULATE CONCEPTION:
The players execute it consistently, and we finish the regular season 11-1, getting set to host SBCC in early December (cue the Wise Men!)
Tone down the grammar critiques. We don't need any grammar nazis putting in their 3 cents worth.

Not to jump in the middle of you guys' spelling bee... But getting back to the topic...

This team could finish anywhere from 6-6 to 10-2 based on what is left on the schedule.

Games we should win --
Arkansas State
Coastal

Games we should lose --
None

Tossups --
Georgia State
JMU
App State
Georgia Southern
South Alabama

A win this week in Atlanta would be huge going into JMU on a short week... Georgia State will be fired up though, they are coming off their bye and it's a night game on real TV.

I think a lot depends on how healthy we stay, especially on DL and LB areas. Ali has to stay healthy. He seemed banged up a bit at NCST.

Reactions: RhinoD
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT