ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Coach

We hired an 80-year old "consultant" from Ohio... Im sure if need be he can step in and man the dugout ala Sparky Anderson. Lol

Reactions: Catsfan123456
Unbelievable we don't have a new coach or at least an interim coach in place.

Among the list of things the new AD Christian Spears us taking care of. My goodness you would think there would be an abundance of coaches seeking to move up.

Reactions: Elkview
Don’t know if you have a little dry humor going on there but if not you couldn’t be more wrong. Marshall Baseball is a desirable job. Great Baseball Conference. Brand new stadium. Will be given time to win. There should be many qualified candidates who have sought the job out. With that being said the process began two months ago and they play their first game in 8 weeks. It’s time to put this to bed. The players and staff deserve to know who they’re playing for/working with. A new head coach will have a ton of things to figure out well in addition to the baseball games themselves. Schools adding recruits each and every day. Every day that passes is a day this program is put further and further behind moving forward.

I think Spears figures the program is in good hands, and if he feels it is, I do too. I seriously doubt he has forgotten the program.............

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
They have a program with coaches and a well respected, life long college baseball advisor, and one of the most tireless ADs in America. I say they'll be OK.
You’re right I apologize. It’s a wonderful situation. Would be the same if the football or basketball programs didn’t have a head coach 8 weeks before the season begins. The advisor was around next to none. But it’s all good.

I think Spears figures the program is in good hands, and if he feels it is, I do too. I seriously doubt he has forgotten the program.............
Agree. Spears has done more in 10 months than previous AD's have done in 10 years.
I am sure things are going on behind the scenes.
Boys, this is Marshall, where fans don't need to know anything until a final decision is made.

Boys, this is Marshall, where fans don't need to know anything until a final decision is made.
That is the way we do things... But this situation is getting weird. Two months should be enough time to find a baseball coach, especially with the season less than two months away. We aren't Bama looking for Saban's replacement here. We are a mid-level to bad baseball program looking for someone to take over as we transition into a new conference and (hopefully) build a stadium.

Reactions: Elkview
That is the way we do things... But this situation is getting weird. Two months should be enough time to find a baseball coach, especially with the season less than two months away. We aren't Bama looking for Saban's replacement here. We are a mid-level to bad baseball program looking for someone to take over as we transition into a new conference and (hopefully) build a stadium.
I agree. Maybe it's a more difficult sell than we think?

I am thinking Carbone is heading it up for this one season and the new coach named in early summer of 23. Jmo

Wonder if the mods could provide an update?

Reactions: Elkview and whf2
I believe the Sun Belt Conference and a new stadium on campus will be a huge recruiting opportunity. All our new Coach has to do is offer. I also believe we will have the pick of the litter for our new Coach. It’s hard to find anything bad about Marshall‘s baseball future.
You mean other than we have been pretty much terrible for the past... Well forever.

We are well below 500 all time, went 22 years without a winning season from 1994 to 2016, and are coming off a 20-35 year.

A new stadium (hopefully) and a new conference are nice... But MU is absolutely still a reclamation project.

Maybe we are waiting on actual construction to start to show any candidates that this time around, it's the real deal. Can't help but be paranoid.

Reactions: Sunshine2269
Agree. Spears has done more in 10 months than previous AD's have done in 10 years.
I am sure things are going on behind the scenes.
tell me all the things he's done in 10 months. Maybe he had an indoor practice facility built , IDK

tell me all the things he's done in 10 months. Maybe he had an indoor practice facility built , IDK
Read the Thundering Herd Illustrated article in the most recent edition. It can explain all the line items better than I can.
Cant post the link.
It's about more than facilities. Hamrick was great at facility building and scheduling but let other things slide - in my opinion.

Read the Thundering Herd Illustrated article in the most recent edition. It can explain all the line items better than I can.
Cant post the link.
It's about more than facilities. Hamrick was great at facility building and scheduling but let other things slide - in my opinion.
so the reality is, Spears hasnt done more than MH in the 10 months he's been here, other than a bunch of noise.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
so the reality is, Spears hasnt done more than MH in the 10 months he's been here, other than a bunch of noise.
I think Spears appears to be a wonderful dude. Somewhat refreshing is how I would put it. With that being said that program deserves to have a head coach in place. Unheard of to be less than two months from starting games and not have a head coach.

I think Spears appears to be a wonderful dude. Somewhat refreshing is how I would put it. With that being said that program deserves to have a head coach in place. Unheard of to be less than two months from starting games and not have a head coach.
I agree the program deserves a leader, sounds like what Howard Schnellenberger did. Everytime I hear Spears speak, I think I am getting keys to a used car.

So Mike built an IPF (with help from JJ, Chris Cline, and Mike D.) in 11 years and he's the king of AD's? Not playing one against the other on this.

• Haha
Well MU is building a baseball stadium using JJ state of WV unspent COVID 19 federal dollars, per Sunday’s HD Media front page expose in the Herald Dispatch. So, there is that.

forgot the soccer complex?
He did and I appreciate that. That being said, it takes more than pretty buildings to run a business, AD, etc. The inside culture and drive are more important. We'll see what Spears can do.

Well MU is building a baseball stadium using JJ state of WV unspent COVID 19 federal dollars, per Sunday’s HD Media front page expose in the Herald Dispatch. So, there is that.
Too bad the ****ing HD won't do a story on the 60 plus drug houses set up in town and how that's dragging the city down the shitter. Or the needle exchange program thats a total shit show. But that doesn't meet their narrative. Dougie Reynolds and Skaff have a hard on for JJ.

Too bad the ****ing HD won't do a story on the 60 plus drug houses set up in town and how that's dragging the city down the shitter. Or the needle exchange program thats a total shit show. But that doesn't meet their narrative. Dougie Reynolds and Skaff have a hard on for JJ.
Oh I agree with you 100%

. The intersection of Huntington’s problems and the local “powers that be” is troubling to say the least.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT