ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball question

Memphis and Cincinnati are no longer members of CUSA. Taking credit for that is silly.

Facts are facts. In basketball, TODAY, there are about 5 or 6 teams that can, or even want to, compete. The rest are fluff.

Reactions: johns1124
ODU, Rice, UTEP and a couple others can barely compete, or want to, in football as well.

Reactions: Crush Nasty
ODU, Rice, UTEP and a couple others can barely compete, or want to, in football as well.

Fundamentally incorrect. At least in your use of "want to". The reason schools are in this football conference is exactly and precisely BECAUSE they wish to be on this level in FOOTBALL. They brought along their MBB, and every other sport, which were all at vastly different places, ranging from solid, some solid with a great history; to pretty good; to inept; to being something they play because it is the price of admission to football status.

If football was not a factor, there is zero point zero chance that teams in El Paso, Norfolk, Miami, Birmingham, Huntington, and random wide spots in the road in between are in the same conference. Without football, every CUSA school would find a conference home that makes sense geographically, and in terms of what level they consider themselves to be.

Which is why, while CUSA MBB has 14 members, it really only has 5 or 6 that matter. The rest should be automatic, every year, no questions asked. Which is why this garbage basketball league is there to be grabbed by the throat and controlled.

Here are some stats over the last 25 or 26 years.

Football Basketball
Winning % 47.0% 54.4%
Preseason Top 25. 4 27
Final Top 25. 13 25
Last Final Top 25. 2015. 2012-2013

Memphis and Cincinnati accounted for most of the basketball poll ratings in the 90's to mid 2000's. In 2003-2004 CUSA had 6 teams in the NCAA.

Historically it has been stronger in basketball. Which is stronger now?
sorry, I did not have a class in Egyptian Hieroglyphics in school. What in the world are you trying to say in your post? I think I understand what the last thing was trying to say. No comparison 130 football schools vs something like 325 basketball schools. Apples to Oranges

Reactions: GreenDuke
sorry, I did not have a class in Egyptian Hieroglyphics in school. What in the world are you trying to say in your post? I think I understand what the last thing was trying to say. No comparison 130 football schools vs something like 325 basketball schools. Apples to Oranges
Posting reformatted the text and eliminated spacing and tabs.

Comparing football to basketball since the conference has been in existence.

Winning percentage
How many teams were in the preseason top 25.
Then final top 25.
Then last year a team was ranked at the end of the year.

These are raw numbers but tends to show that CUSA basketball has outperformed football. especially in the early days of the league. Has football overtaken basketball, or rather has basketball slipped below football? Just threw the numbers out there.

Fundamentally incorrect. At least in your use of "want to". The reason schools are in this football conference is exactly and precisely BECAUSE they wish to be on this level in FOOTBALL. They brought along their MBB, and every other sport, which were all at vastly different places, ranging from solid, some solid with a great history; to pretty good; to inept; to being something they play because it is the price of admission to football status.
I just used your own words.

Facts are facts. In basketball, TODAY, there are about 5 or 6 teams that can, or even want to, compete. The rest are fluff.
Last three full seasons ODU is a combined 10-26, UTEP 2-34 and Rice 6-31 in football. Can they or have they consistently competed in football?

I think CUSA has evolved into a conference for schools that have no where else to go, kind of like the Island of Misfit Toys.

Since its inception CUSA has always been a sprawling conference. However in its early days it had a primary focus on basketball. Off the top of my head I can think of three member schools that didn't have football teams - DePaul. Marquette and St.Louis. Same recently with UAB, Charlotte and ODU.

I throw out points to ponder and some facts and statistics, that's all. I will say it appears CUSA is a weak conference in both sports. Over the last few years with limited exceptions it has been dead last in football in both winning percentage and strength of schedule among all conferences. Following some apparent thought processes in this thread, we should be dominating football as well. But since 2005 both sports have the exact same number of championships- 1.

MU competed in Southern Conference for 20 years. 1977 - 1996. 3 football titles, 3 regular season and 3 tournament basketball titles.

MAC for 8 years on the last go around. 1997 - 2004. 4 football titles. 0 basketball titles.

CUSA for 16 years. 2005 - current. 1 football title and one tournament title in basketball.

Looks like only during the MAC years did football significantly outperform basketball.

I just used your own words.

Last three full seasons ODU is a combined 10-26, UTEP 2-34 and Rice 6-31 in football. Can they or have they consistently competed in football?

I think CUSA has evolved into a conference for schools that have no where else to go, kind of like the Island of Misfit Toys.

Since its inception CUSA has always been a sprawling conference. However in its early days it had a primary focus on basketball. Off the top of my head I can think of three member schools that didn't have football teams - DePaul. Marquette and St.Louis. Same recently with UAB, Charlotte and ODU.

I throw out points to ponder and some facts and statistics, that's all. I will say it appears CUSA is a weak conference in both sports. Over the last few years with limited exceptions it has been dead last in football in both winning percentage and strength of schedule among all conferences. Following some apparent thought processes in this thread, we should be dominating football as well. But since 2005 both sports have the exact same number of championships- 1.
I don't want to throw a wrench in the meat grinder but I think Rice was very competitive in early November, 2020, if you know what I mean.

I don't want to throw a wrench in the meat grinder but I think Rice was very competitive in early November, 2020, if you know what I mean.
I was thinking the same thing as I posted this and was wondering when someone would mention it.

Would it have mattered if the Herd had showed up?

If football was not a factor, there is zero point zero chance that teams in El Paso, Norfolk, Miami, Birmingham, Huntington, and random wide spots in the road in between are in the same conference. Without football, every CUSA school would find a conference home that makes sense geographically, and in terms of what level they consider themselves to be.

Which is why, while CUSA MBB has 14 members, it really only has 5 or 6 that matter. The rest should be automatic, every year, no questions asked. Which is why this garbage basketball league is there to be grabbed by the throat and controlled.
CUSA football went winless in bowl season. One of the worst ever bowl seasons by a conference. Going winless by a conference has only happened one time ever before this yr. Currently, CUSA football is really bad.

You know what they say:

Wish in one hand and put Sam’s posts in another...

we should be dominating football as well.

I fully explained why MU, or one of the other 5 to 6 teams that actually can and do try, should dominate in basketball. Please explain why MU should "dominate" at the conference's core sport, where all the teams are attempting to be on the same level.

Here are some stats over the last 25 or 26 years.

Football Basketball
Winning % 47.0% 54.4%
Preseason Top 25. 4 27
Final Top 25. 13 25
Last Final Top 25. 2015. 2012-2013

Memphis and Cincinnati accounted for most of the basketball poll ratings in the 90's to mid 2000's. In 2003-2004 CUSA had 6 teams in the NCAA.

Historically it has been stronger in basketball. Which is stronger now?

I'd say basketball but not by much.
I'd also say the conference saw itself as a basketball conference considering the teams they brought in when others departed, who have had better histories with basketball than football.

I'd say basketball but not by much.
I'd also say the conference saw itself as a basketball conference considering the teams they brought in when others departed, who have had better histories with basketball than football.
Agreed. Plus I believe three of the conference's charter members didn't even field football teams.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
I fully explained why MU, or one of the other 5 to 6 teams that actually can and do try, should dominate in basketball. Please explain why MU should "dominate" at the conference's core sport, where all the teams are attempting to be on the same level.
MU jumped from 1-AA to the MAC in 1997 and dominated football, winning 4 championships in 8 years. Basketball didn't realize the same results in the MAC. Wouldn't it be logical to think that football's success would continue in CUSA? Especially since CUSA appears to be a weaker football conference with lower winning %'s and strength of schedule than the MAC? And wouldn't it also be logical that basketball would not necessarily be winning conference titles in CUSA when it couldn't or didn't while in the MAC?

MU jumped from 1-AA to the MAC in 1997 and dominated football, winning 4 championships in 8 years.

Thank you for the ancient history lesson.

Basketball didn't realize the same results in the MAC.

And the basketball coach was a MU alumni and ex-player, with no particular HC background at the DI level, from Wyoming County's Mullens HS, who was a dynamic public speaker?

Wouldn't it be logical to think that football's success would continue in CUSA?

Well no. One because the idiot, KO Marcum hired an incompetent as compliance director, lied to the fan base, and lied to the greatest coach we ever had who had to leave as a matter of honor, who was then replaced by another incompetent KO crony, taking 5 years to fire a guy who obviously was over his head after 5 games.

With all that had been built destroyed, the next coach had to start from zero. And, with CUSA being light years ahead of the lowly MAC, which was and remains a sort of I-A and a half league, nothing you say is logical.

And wouldn't it also be logical that basketball would not necessarily be winning conference titles in CUSA when it couldn't or didn't while in the MAC?

No, because the MAC is a long term stable, geographically logical conference made up of schools that are all on basically the same page in every sport. While CUSA, this version (please no more ancient history about UC or Memphis), was 100% made for football. Every other sport was brought along, all at various levels. A third simply do not care if the basketball team is playing or not. Another third have no fanbases. Which should equal AUTOMATIC wins, every time, every year. Leaving this sorry league wide open to be settled among the remaining third. There is no reason, with all the de facto bye weeks this league provides, our best in the league basketball fan base (by far) and our level of commitment to the sport, we should not grab it by the throat.

well since we have a diversity of views being represented today allow me to chime in. C-USA was without doubt put together as a football conference primarily. However, it is a better basketball conference by far. The reality is this- there are only 10 D-1 football conferences. IMO the MAC, SB and C-USA are all about the same. If we switched to either of the other two I say we are in no better shape most years. The American is not going to invite us anytime soon so give it a rest. Hell would freeze over before any P5 invited us. With that being said, I say enjoy the ride and Herd sports. Dan is a solid coach and we need to leave that one alone. Huff is new and time will tell. Either way, I think we sometimes don't appreciate what we have in Huntington. Is Marshall an IVY school academically ?- no but it is a solid school offering a university level education. I am proud to have graduated from there. Is Marshall a football/basketball powerhouse? no, but we are on the map and people respect us.

I think the problem some people have is the definition of a "solid coach."
Both Doc and Dan, are basically the same, but Dan will be praised for wanting to stay for so long as a true Son of Marshall, while Doc gets criticism for wanting to stay so long at MU because nobody else would hire him.

CUSA is more competitive in basketball but not by much and dare say, Dan has had better teams, and at least he has had more coaching experience but still can't win more than one.
Doc brings in better athletes and recruits, generally better than most of the pack, and still can't win more than one.

Dan's approaching the same amount of time Doc has and we can't confidently say he's going to do any better at this point.
So where is the cristicism?

With all that
And the basketball coach was a MU alumni and ex-player, with no particular HC background at the DI level, from Wyoming County's Mullens HS, who was a dynamic public speaker?
Do you realize Greg White has had the highest winning percentage of any MU coach since Huck?
And, with CUSA being light years ahead of the lowly MAC, which was and remains a sort of I-A and a half league, nothing you say is logical.
No, because the MAC is a long term stable, geographically logical conference made up of schools that are all on basically the same page in every sport.
Which is the MAC? Sort of a 1-A and a half league or is it a long term stable conference? Sounds like you want it both ways while seeming to enjoy calling me illogical?

MU jumped from 1-AA to the MAC in 1997 and dominated football, winning 4 championships in 8 years. Basketball didn't realize the same results in the MAC. Wouldn't it be logical to think that football's success would continue in CUSA? Especially since CUSA appears to be a weaker football conference with lower winning %'s and strength of schedule than the MAC? And wouldn't it also be logical that basketball would not necessarily be winning conference titles in CUSA when it couldn't or didn't while in the MAC?

You also should consider the time when MU went to CUSA. It was not a good time to do so since Pruett up and quit/retired and MU was about to be slammed with NCAA violations, and the next guy, Snyder, was anything but a head coach.
All of that, combined with CUSA schools that decided to tap into their resources (which far, far exceeded MU's) and create competitive, winning products on the field did not help MU's cause.
Also, MU was cursed with having quite possibly the world's most inept AD in the history of the school.

What's worse is that MU probably would've found itself in better position had it at least been competitive in football and not being as terrible as it was and an AD who could market "We Are...Marshall" beyond just the damn state as a major recruiting tool (yeah, Kopp also dropped the ball on this, but at least he got MU several professional degree programs to help it grow academically) MU could have found itself as a lucrative asset to the conference on its brand as opposed to on-field competition...but no, MU found a way to be the worst at the worst things that could happen to it.
It sucks.

I think the problem some people have is the definition of a "solid coach."
Both Doc and Dan, are basically the same, but Dan will be praised for wanting to stay for so long as a true Son of Marshall, while Doc gets criticism for wanting to stay so long at MU because nobody else would hire him.

CUSA is more competitive in basketball but not by much and dare say, Dan has had better teams, and at least he has had more coaching experience but still can't win more than one.
Doc brings in better athletes and recruits, generally better than most of the pack, and still can't win more than one.

Dan's approaching the same amount of time Doc has and we can't confidently say he's going to do any better at this point.
So where is the cristicism?
Understand what you're saying but Doc and Dan aren't necessarily the same person. One enjoys building a relationship with and connecting with the fans, the other not so much.

Understand what you're saying but Doc and Dan aren't necessarily the same person. One enjoys building a relationship with and connecting with the fans, the other not so much.

I get that, but "being a good guy" shouldn't be as much of an excuse as to why you aren't winning more, as MU fans are giving him.
A sloth on Valium would have more conversational personality than Doc but thats Doc. Lots of people are more focused on doing their job than talking about their job.

Does this mean if Coach Huff underachieved and won at most, 8 games the next 3 seasons, we'd be fine with it because of his personality?

You also should consider the time when MU went to CUSA. It was not a good time to do so since Pruett up and quit/retired and MU was about to be slammed with NCAA violations, and the next guy, Snyder, was anything but a head coach.
All of that, combined with CUSA schools that decided to tap into their resources (which far, far exceeded MU's) and create competitive, winning products on the field did not help MU's cause.
Also, MU was cursed with having quite possibly the world's most inept AD in the history of the school.

What's worse is that MU probably would've found itself in better position had it at least been competitive in football and not being as terrible as it was and an AD who could market "We Are...Marshall" beyond just the damn state as a major recruiting tool (yeah, Kopp also dropped the ball on this, but at least he got MU several professional degree programs to help it grow academically) MU could have found itself as a lucrative asset to the conference on its brand as opposed to on-field competition...but no, MU found a way to be the worst at the worst things that could happen to it.
It sucks.
Understand and agree completely with much of what you have stated. All of these are complex issues and in no way can a quick 2 minute response adequately address every aspect of them. Many here seem to take such a literal approach to things that they assume, project and then attack the poster.

We have made some bad hires, we have had some bad Presidents and AD's that apparently have made some egregious errors. I've had a long-time older friend that always said Huck got fired because he received more applause than the either the President or AD at the time. A lot of egos have been involved over the years.

For a relatively new member to start an thread with a somewhat innocent question this sure has devolved quickly...

I get that, but "being a good guy" shouldn't be as much of an excuse as to why you aren't winning more, as MU fans are giving him.
A sloth on Valium would have more conversational personality than Doc but thats Doc. Lots of people are more focused on doing their job than talking about their job.

Does this mean if Coach Huff underachieved and won at most, 8 games the next 3 seasons, we'd be fine with it because of his personality?
That's a bit of a stretch. Coach Dan has brought an exciting brand of basketball back to the Cam, has fielded competitive teams that generally improve as the season progresses, which I think is a sign of a good coach, has a solid rapport with the media and fans, went to the NCAA for the first time in 30 years plus won the first tournament game ever. I don't think he lost control of his players either. Not so sure you can say that obout the other.

8 wins in the next 3 seasons would be just a tad better than Doc.

You sound like a HF transplant, but let me clue you in from my perspective.

Two games against WKU, both lost. Split against ODU, we were the favorite by 6-8 going in.

Yep, the first time in 25-30 years! About time right? We had a good eight-day run. That was it, nothing more nothing less. Very next year when your friends at HF were thinking we were going to the Final Four. Ended up in a pay-to-play.

Close third, but we are fifth in the east? Does not compute.

Coach is a dam idiot. Won't close Practice, although a team is having a rough time. Won't run a
zone D, because he didn't when he rode his brother's jockstrap in the NBA. His offense looks like the offense ran at any public park. Freelance do what the hell you want. Only 304, baby!

Couple more years of mediocracy and his seat should be getting really warm and rightfully so.

This is about the dumbest post I’ve seen on this forum.

Understand and agree completely with much of what you have stated. All of these are complex issues and in no way can a quick 2 minute response adequately address every aspect of them. Many here seem to take such a literal approach to things that they assume, project and then attack the poster.

We have made some bad hires, we have had some bad Presidents and AD's that apparently have made some egregious errors. I've had a long-time older friend that always said Huck got fired because he received more applause than the either the President or AD at the time. A lot of egos have been involved over the years.

For a relatively new member to start an thread with a somewhat innocent question this sure has devolved quickly...
With all respect let me assure you that’s NOT what got Huck fired.

With all respect let me assure you that’s NOT what got Huck fired.
I understand. It wasn't said or intended to be presented as fact, either by my friend or me and apologize if it was taken as such. Just said to illustrate that there have been a lot of egos, personalities and turf battles as long as I can remember. I remember hearing the story of Joe McMullen letting Coach Tacy walk for something like $5k a year.

I understand. It wasn't said or intended to be presented as fact, either by my friend or me and apologize if it was taken as such. Just said to illustrate that there have been a lot of egos, personalities and turf battles as long as I can remember. I remember hearing the story of Joe McMullen letting Coach Tacy walk for something like $5k a year.
That is almost true. I believe it was actually 8k.
But, 8k was a significant dollar amount in 1970. My dad built a nice 3 BD brick home for $30k

Tacy was presented the opportunity to coach in the Atlantic Coast Comference. Eight thousand dollars wasn’t a main consideration. Marshall had a joke of a budget, the whole athletic dept was on less than a shoestring and MU was struggling as an independent with no short term conference prospects. He had to go, it made his career.

Reactions: ohio herd
Tacy was presented the opportunity to coach in the Atlantic Coast Comference. Eight thousand dollars wasn’t a main consideration. Marshall had a joke of a budget, the whole athletic dept was on less than a shoestring and MU was struggling as an independent with no short term conference prospects. He had to go, it made his career.
Are you sure about this or is it just conjecture on your part? College basketball was a different animal back in the day. With no real TV contracts in place there wasn't as much emphasis on or benefit to conference affiliation. There definitely wasn't the level of disparity then between conferences such as say the ACC and the Southern Comference as today. For example in Coach Tacy's year at Marshall, Davidson of the Southern Conference was 3-1 against ACC opponents. Think that could or would happen today?

During that year at Marshall his team was ranked as high as #8 nationally and had the #2 team in the Nation on the ropes at home until some late "fouls", including multiple ones on a single possession, resulted in a 2 point Herd loss. Coach Tacy, the Herd and members of the WV media contingent were treated abhorrently by a future NCAA winning coach. A considerable part of that team would be returning while WF was 8-18, its fifth losing season in 8 years.

By all accounts Coach Tacy was a fine man of integrity. I believe one of the reasons he retired at a relatively early age was because of what college basketball had become, arguably because of emerging and increasing TV revenues. He also had WV roots. Just not sure he wouldn't have liked to stay in Huntington to coach at MU. He did tell the AD what it would take to keep him...

I know all about that era, I was a college bb player at that time. I knew Ellis Johnson, Stewart Way, and Carl Tacy on a recruit/ recruiter basis. Davidson had some terrific teams in the 60’s and early 70’s with several All American players and Lefty as their coach. The ACC was born out of the SC in 1953 just as the SEC had been years earlier. Regardless of Davidson’s record vs the ACC during one season or the fact Marshall had their best regular season as a D1 team the ACC was far superior to the SC from the get go. Heck Duke alone went to three FF’s in the 60’s.

Reactions: ohio herd
I know all about that era, I was a college bb player at that time. I knew Ellis Johnson, Stewart Way, and Carl Tacy on a recruit/ recruiter basis. Davidson had some terrific teams in the 60’s and early 70’s with several All American players and Lefty as their coach. The ACC was born out of the SC in 1953 just as the SEC had been years earlier. Regardless of Davidson’s record vs the ACC during one season or the fact Marshall had their best regular season as a D1 team the ACC was far superior to the SC from the get go. Heck Duke alone went to three FF’s in the 60’s.
I didn't say the ACC wasn't better back in the 60's, just that today's disparity wasn't as great. Just look at the some of the teams that made the Final Fours of the 60's and early 70's - Drake, NYU, St. Joe's, WKU and Princeton. It has been a rare exception for a Cinderella make it as far recently (I know - Butler, George Mason, VCU). It's just that then every team felt like they could.

Conference alignment seemed to take greater relevance as TV contracts exploded during the 1980's (think Big East) creating a wider gulf between the haves and the haves not. A similar occurrence happened later with NCAA football resulting in the P5 (haves) and the G5 (have nots). Fifty years ago I felt like the Herd could compete with anyone in basketball. Twenty years ago I felt the same about football. Sadly those days appear lost forever for various reasons.

You were obviously closer to the Coach Tacy situation than I was so I defer to much of what you say. I just see so many times people applying today's standards to the past before they were even born. I just try to keep things in perspective and let people know that there is often more to a situation than their current perspective.

there is also a difference in being a nice guy and playing the political games. A small ESPN story came out after Doc was let go discussing internal differences of opinion inside the athletic department is what cost Doc his job. I had also heard Doc lost the political game within the University. Question is did Hamrick as well?

im trying to figure out if the anti Marshall hoops guys posting are really Docs friends or if they really don’t like Dan. I have a feeling if Doc had been more fan friendly and played the political games better he would still have a job. Did Doc and Dan get along? Did Dan and Hamrick get along? Interesting

Last edited:
there is also a difference in being a nice guy and playing the political games. A small ESPN story came out after Doc was little go discussing internal differences of opinion inside the athletic department is what cost Doc his job. I had also heard Doc lost the political game within the University. Question is did Hamrick as well?

im trying to figure out if the anti Marshall hoops guys posting are really Docs friends or if they really don’t like Dan. I have a feeling if Doc had been more fan friendly and played the political games better he would still have a job. Did Doc and Dan get along? Did Dan and Hamrick get along? Interesting
From what I know Doc and Dan got along. Granted they only were together in the spring/summer for the BG coaches tour.
Danny and Hamrick have never gotten along

Do you realize Greg White has had the highest winning percentage of any MU coach since Huck?

Banners?

ZERO.

LOSER.

Loser at Pikeville.
Loser at Harvey High.
Loser at Marshall..
Went back to Harvey High. Lost there too.

Which is the MAC? Sort of a 1-A and a half league or is it a long term stable conference? Sounds like you want it both ways while seeming to enjoy calling me illogical?

Nope. Reading comprehension not your strong suit? One quote was where I fully debunked your basketball theories, explaining that the MACers are all more or less on the same level in basketball, due to the long stability of the conference, contrasted to CUSA where the basketball teams are all at different levels. The other quote explains fully and totally where the MAC is, and always will be. In football. Kind of I-A and a half. Not quite I-AA, not quite really I-A.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT