ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball question

And he'll likely never give a dime to the school that gave him his only chance.

I'd agree with you had he faded into obscurity.

He was talented, but horribly coached and immature, which significantly hindered his progress past MU.
But he spent a few years overseas, bulked up, and became a $98 million man in the NBA. He's still in the league as well.
So chance or no chance, HE worked to get to where he is today.

Where is it written that just because a school signed someone, they have to give money to them? But given how some on here are already trashing him, why should he give back?

Maybe it was that MU fans and the team saw the CIT for what it actually is...a 3rd tier tournament that (at the time) fans were wondering why we'd waste money being a part of.
I'm old school. I always liked the Pete Rose saying he'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball. I just remember his lack of effort as well as the rest of the team during a few games that year. They had talent and I thought they were better than they played, especially during a stretch in January and later in the year which likely cost them a NIT bid. I wanted the team to play well in the CIT and win the dang thing to show some people up for the NIT snub.

I also thought Whiteside was getting some bad advice at the time and long-term he would have been better off to play another year or two at MU. I think that contributed to his attitude in the CUSA tournament and CIT. To his credit, he did WORK HARD in the D League and overseas and actually had success in the NBA, which went against the odds. I was glad to see that he overcame what I again thought was the bad advice he received as a college freshman.

Last edited:

He was talented, but horribly coached and immature, which significantly hindered his progress past MU.
But he spent a few years overseas, bulked up, and became a $98 million man in the NBA. He's still in the league as well.

Where is it written that just because a school signed someone, they have to give money to them? But given how some on here are already trashing him, why should he give back?
Interesting facts. Randy Moss made $82 million playing 14 seasons in the NFL. Byron Leftwich made $27 million over 10 seasons. Chad Pennington $51 million over 10 seasons.

Hassan Whiteside - $102 million and counting over 10 NBA seasons. So this means he is likely the highest paid professional athlete ever from Marshall. Who would have thought this when he declared for the NBA draft after his freshman season here?

As an aside the earnings from this level of athlete was unheard of in the past. Right or wrong, some people think it is appropriate for this rare type of athlete to acknowledge where they came from and to give back to the school, either financially, with their time or with PR appearances. I think we are currently seeing that in football with Coach Huff reaching out to former players since he got here.

Interesting facts. Randy Moss made $82 million playing 14 seasons in the NFL. Byron Leftwich made $27 million over 10 seasons. Chad Pennington $51 million over 10 seasons.

Hassan Whiteside - $102 million and counting over 10 NBA seasons. So this means he is likely the highest paid professional athlete ever from Marshall. Who would have thought this when he declared for the NBA draft after his freshman season here?

As an aside the earnings from this level of athlete was unheard of in the past. Right or wrong, some people think it is appropriate for this rare type of athlete to acknowledge where they came from and to give back to the school, either financially, with their time or with PR appearances. I think we are currently seeing that in football with Coach Huff reaching out to former players since he got here.

Then maybe you should take your gripe with Dan D'Antoni and not Hassan. Dan should reach out to former MU basketball players and not just ones from his former roster either.
Not sure what the recruiting scene was like with Hassan, but he was a highly touted recruit and Donnie likely told him he could shine in CUSA and head to the NBA right after. Don't worry about anything else.
What sort of relationship SHOULD he have with that sort of offer?
Hassan did exactly what ANY player of his caliber would have done given what many sports analysts were saying about him.

Then maybe you should take your gripe with Dan D'Antoni and not Hassan. Dan should reach out to former MU basketball players and not just ones from his former roster either.
Not sure what the recruiting scene was like with Hassan, but he was a highly touted recruit and Donnie likely told him he could shine in CUSA and head to the NBA right after. Don't worry about anything else.
Hassan did exactly what ANY player of his caliber would have done given what many sports analysts were saying about him.
Don't think I really have a gripe with anyone. I think I gave Whiteside props for working through the D League and overseas ball to probably become MU's highest paid former athlete. Maybe he could have avoided some of that time in the D League or overseas had he stayed another year or two. I gave props to Coach Huff for rebuilding some bridges with former football players that may have felt alienated in the past. That's all.

Last edited:
I'm old school. I always liked the Pete Rose saying he'd walk through hell in a baseball suit to play baseball. I just remember his lack of effort as well as the rest of the team during a few games that year. They had talent and I thought they were better than they played, especially during a stretch in January and later in the year which likely cost them a NIT bid. I wanted the team to play well in the CIT and win the dang thing to show some people up for the NIT snub.

I also thought Whiteside was getting some bad advice at the time and long-term he would have been better off to play another year or two at MU. I think that contributed to his attitude in the CUSA tournament and CIT. To his credit, he did WORK HARD in the D League and overseas and actually had success in the NBA, which went against the odds. I was glad to see that he overcame what I again thought was the bad advice he received as a college freshman.

Some things don't changed. A lot of folks say that Penava got some bad advice, too, and should have stayed at MU another year. Yet, if he somehow makes it to the NBA and, like Whiteside, ends up making a hundred million $$ or so, is that necessarily "bad"??

Some things don't changed. A lot of folks say that Penava got some bad advice, too, and should have stayed at MU another year. Yet, if he somehow makes it to the NBA and, like Whiteside, ends up making a hundred million $$ or so, is that necessarily "bad"??
No but did anyone expect Whiteside to end up making $102 million while he was playing in China? Truly a testament to his talents and resiliency to accomplish that. Wonder how many others came through the D League to make $100 million?

Dan speaks with Whiteside somewhat regularly. He tries to get him on board financially but no luck so far. In fact he has had good relationships with many former Herd players going back to the 50's

Since we were the only school to give him a chance you would think he would show some gratitude. But that’s a bad word with today’s society. He doesn’t have to give and I doubt he ever will.

And I seriously doubt he ever wastes his time or cares about a Marshall message board. Hilarious.

Hey Meister,

You really didn't post this shit do you?

"Obviously you can say what you want but I sure hate it when parents of committed recruits read all the negative comments when we're trying to sign their son. I would at least you'd keep it on the pay sight where very few outsiders are reading "

In response to:

"
So sorry, HM, but maybe some fans don't 100% swallow the Kool Aid. Or as Jack Nicholson once said "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH"! Coach D"s own words post game: "They were more quicker, more tougher, more physical, more energy. . . had more physicality than us tonight". In year 7, where does the answer lie to the reasons "WHY" to those answers? The Coaches? The Players, all of whom were recruited by this Coach? Taught and Coached by this Coach?

Just stating the FACTS, Herdmeister. I'm not happy with the result tonight! But I reserve the right as a FAN to question why? And to not accept some sugar coated, good old guy Yuk, Yuk, Yuk, reasons and explanations!! "

So do you have any evidence that future parents have changed their minds about MU based on what is posted on message boards? Is this something you have been told? If so by who?

Thanks

Since we were the only school to give him a chance you would think he would show some gratitude. But that’s a bad word with today’s society. He doesn’t have to give and I doubt he ever will.

And I seriously doubt he ever wastes his time or cares about a Marshall message board. Hilarious.
lol, he was recruited elsewhere...and chose MU over others. MU wasn't "the only one to give him a chance."

Dan speaks with Whiteside somewhat regularly. He tries to get him on board financially but no luck so far. In fact he has had good relationships with many former Herd players going back to the 50's
Oh does he now? Care to prove this. News to me about Hassan being contacted by Dan.

Don't think I really have a gripe with anyone. I think I gave Whiteside props for working through the D League and overseas ball to probably become MU's highest paid former athlete. Maybe he could have avoided some of that time in the D League or overseas had he stayed another year or two. I gave props to Coach Huff for rebuilding some bridges with former football players that may have felt alienated in the past. That's all.
You did give him props then agreed to the claim that he'd not likely give any money back to MU. Presuming so. Not a good look. We don't know if he ever will or not. Even if he did, some would be mad it wasn't enough.
He used MU as a stepping stone for his career. He owes MU exactlt nothing. In no way was MU his only option. Clearly, with barely 1 season he set a ton of records, he was getting noticed. He's now, as one said, the highest paid former athlete.

You did give him props then agreed to the claim that he'd not likely give any money back to MU. Presuming so. Not a good look. We don't know if he ever will or not. Even if he did, some would be mad it wasn't enough.
He used MU as a stepping stone for his career. He owes MU exactlt nothing. In no way was MU his only option. Clearly, with barely 1 season he set a ton of records, he was getting noticed. He's now, as one said, the highest paid former athlete.
That was more of a generalized agreement in that many professional athletes, and other alumni, don't look back after they either leave a school or graduate from it. Nationally only about 8% of alumni donate back to their colleges.

Whiteside was heavily recruited and MU wasn't his only option. I know that.

Define "ton" of records. Most blocks per game and per season hardly qualify as a ton of records.

And I was the one that said he was likely MU's highest earning former athlete. Glad you can "nitpick" me on something but can't give me the credit for something I posted that you used to "bolster" your post against me.

According to ESPN.com we were the only school to offer him a full scholly. Don’t shoot the messenger.

Top 100 recruit with offers from Auburn, Charlotte, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Nevada, Seton Hall, South Carolina, St. John's and Xavier.
Thanks. I stand corrected. Just going off the ESPN site.
Said 6-7 schools looking at him but MU was the only offer, which he accepted.
Turning down UK? That’s hard to believe.

Last edited:
I would think he looked at UK’s roster that year and didn’t see many minutes available.
Boogie Cousins,Pat Patterson, Daniel Orton, Josh Harrellson.
That team was loaded, probably 8 NBA guys including John Wall. Plus UK transitioned from from Drunk BCG to Cow in ‘09-‘10. Doubt Whiteside was ever considering more than one college season.

Thanks. I stand corrected. Just going off the ESPN site.
Said 6-7 schools looking at him but MU was the only offer, which he accepted.
Turning down UK? That’s hard to believe.
Like you I noticed that he only received an offer from MU on the ESPN website but who knows how accurate that is.

I did read the following article this morning that sheds some light on how he came to Marshall and that the interest from UK was later in the process.

A seven-footer with his skills would likely have landed somewhere, but he did get an offer from MU and came here. He was given an opportunity to play and contribute here as a freshman which he did. This did give him some press and attention that he ultimately used to declare and get drafted, and we all know how the story goes after that.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Dan says a lot of things.
GHMY - care to prove one instance when Dan lied? No? Didn’t think so.
You put your mouth on a lot of subjects w/o backing anything up. I love Dan & the D’Antoni clan. I’ll take aw shucks Danalytics every day. Just listen to his post game from Saturday. He’s unabashedly 100% for his guys! He tells it like it is, and he’s soon going to be the #2 all-time winningest coach in Herd history. When he is done, it will be when he’s ready to stop. Not many can do that....

You put your mouth on a lot of subjects w/o backing anything up. I love Dan & the D’Antoni clan. I’ll take aw shucks Danalytics every day. Just listen to his post game from Saturday. He’s unabashedly 100% for his guys! He tells it like it is, and he’s soon going to be the #2 all-time winningest coach in Herd history. When he is done, it will be when he’s ready to stop. Not many can do that....

Exactly and quite frankly he has the program in a better position than it has ever been. They are ABLE to win CUSA again, and have done it once. I don't remember many years where we could say it was a possibility. Just being competitive to be able to accomplish it on a good week makes it exciting and worthwhile. Thats the difference

Exactly and quite frankly he has the program in a better position than it has ever been. They are ABLE to win CUSA again, and have done it once. I don't remember many years where we could say it was a possibility. Just being competitive to be able to accomplish it on a good week makes it exciting and worthwhile. Thats the difference

Herdorbust,

Every year there is a possibility. Especially, this year when all it takes is a positive test result and you can move on through the tournament. But that is going to mar the whole tournament if it becomes a trend.

Herdorbust,

Every year there is a possibility. Especially, this year when all it takes is a positive test result and you can move on through the tournament. But that is going to mar the whole tournament if it becomes a trend.

There is a difference between possibility and competitive chance. It's relative.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

1 conference title...

They are currently 6th in the conference. That is a competitive chance?

johns1124 - Let's make it easier for you to understand. For this season (and ONLY this season!), truly reorient your thinking to East-West divisional standings. If you can get there (?), you will see that the Herd is in 3rd place, with the very real possibility of finishing 2nd after Saturdays results. 2nd sounds better than 6th, earns a double bye into the quarters a week from today. I really like our chances if that occurs, because we wouldn't have to see WKU until the Championship game. Like Sam is always preaching......(you know the REST of the story) !
I will point out - We have beaten the top 2 West teams already. We also gave Western all they wanted (with a chance to win on the last possession) in the Cam. Danny always points toward getting his guys peaking at the tournament, so to this homer we are right on track. Why the hate? You were probably a (gasp!) Doc guy.....figures.
In the end, they will win it all or more than likely be done after next weekend. Let's hope, as diehard Marshall fans, that they can get to Indy for the Big Dance!! Go Herd!!!

johns1124 - Let's make it easier for you to understand. For this season (and ONLY this season!), truly reorient your thinking to East-West divisional standings. If you can get there (?), you will see that the Herd is in 3rd place, with the very real possibility of finishing 2nd after Saturdays results. 2nd sounds better than 6th, earns a double bye into the quarters a week from today. I really like our chances if that occurs, because we wouldn't have to see WKU until the Championship game. Like Sam is always preaching......(you know the REST of the story) !
I will point out - We have beaten the top 2 West teams already. We also gave Western all they wanted (with a chance to win on the last possession) in the Cam. Danny always points toward getting his guys peaking at the tournament, so to this homer we are right on track. Why the hate? You were probably a (gasp!) Doc guy.....figures.
In the end, they will win it all or more than likely be done after next weekend. Let's hope, as diehard Marshall fans, that they can get to Indy for the Big Dance!! Go Herd!!!
We played WKU without being able to practice, for 2 weeks prior, because of COVID. I like our chances.

You were probably a (gasp!) Doc guy.....figures.
That is a rhetorical, No. He should have been fired years ago.

Danny always points toward getting his guys peaking at the tournament,

Forget the regular season. That's why I think he is an idiot!
Like Danny says: Rebounds are overrated.

If you can get there (?), you will see that the Herd is in 3rd place,

But sixth overall, playing the 5th seed if it would end today. Knowing the much of the competition is in the West. If we were in the west we would be down to the 5th slot.

That is a rhetorical, No. He should have been fired years ago.

Forget the regular season. That's why I think he is an idiot!
Like Danny says: Rebounds are overrated.

But sixth overall, playing the 5th seed if it would end today. Knowing the much of the competition is in the West. If we were in the west we would be down to the 5th slot.
IF aunt Sara had testicles she'd be uncle Fred. The season isn't over today and we are in the east. In the end, it only takes 3 or 4 good games next week to win. I also see we are projected by some to be in the NIT. That is why basketball is so exciting. Anyone can win over anybody in March. Ask UVA

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
IF aunt Sara had testicles she'd be uncle Fred.

You listen to Jim Rome too much. Someone should tell him he is all washed up.

In the end, it only takes 3 or 4 good games next week to win.

That's every year. AKA 2017.

Anyone can win over anybody in March. Ask UVA

Exactly, it's the probability that counts. That was the first-ever 16 over 1. Does not happen too often. Sort of like MU in the NCAA Tournament.

What projection puts us in the NIT? Link?

Reactions: The Real SamC

Exactly, it's the probability that counts. That was the first-ever 16 over 1. Does not happen too often. Sort of like MU in the NCAA Tournament.

Draftings.com/Predictor/bracketology/

I have never heard Jim Rome a single time

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT