ADVERTISEMENT

Glenville State

Sep 19, 2022
I get respecting our in state peeps, and I am sure there is some random reason DD scheduled Glenville like "his cousin blah blah...." but I think it looks really stupid when we do that. Or, I think it looks ok to open with that. But we play at Duquense, UNCG, and host Toledo all in the next few games and thats a solid slate. And then right in the middle of all of it is Glenville State. At 7-1 with a strong schedule coming up, we throw in that nonsense. I realize the schedule is set before we know our record obviously, but I think it looks dumb to do that. Plus, on the SLIGHTEST off chance some day that we would be very strong, in a strong bball RPI year for our conference, and ever have a chance at an at large bid after not winning the conference tourney (I know I know), having Glenville kick our SOS in the nuts is not a good look.... Just sayin..

as I understand it, Spears wanted this game. I assume that means he wanted another home game, not necessarily he wanted Glenville.

The week before Christmas is the perfect time to play a cupcake... Players are in the lull between final exam week and Christmas week. Not necessarily focused on basketball. So you play an easy home game, make a few dollars, get a quick 'W' and just help everyone stay sharp.

Spears wanted an added home game... DD I'm sure didn't want a 12-day break with no games around Christmas... Glenville gets to play a "big" game on ESPN+.

The week before Christmas is the perfect time to play a cupcake... Players are in the lull between final exam week and Christmas week. Not necessarily focused on basketball. So you play an easy home game, make a few dollars, get a quick 'W' and just help everyone stay sharp.

Spears wanted an added home game... DD I'm sure didn't want a 12-day break with no games around Christmas... Glenville gets to play a "big" game on ESPN+.
Im sure Glenville would take the game even if it wasn't picked up on +

And I know there is all the reasons.. I just think its a bad idea. Most teams are playing actual opponents during that time.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
Take a quick look at the other Sun belt schedules. I just pulled up four and three of them play similar schools this month. Regent, Piedmont are just a couple. So this is common.
Which outlines the very small commitment to basketball that most of the schools in this 100% about football conference make.

We could grab it by the throat and control it, with just a bit of effort. We are unwilling to make that effort.

• Haha
Reactions: ThunderDrunk304
Which outlines the very small commitment to basketball that most of the schools in this 100% about football conference make.

We could grab it by the throat and control it, with just a bit of effort. We are unwilling to make that effort.
Two or three wrongs don't make a right. If the Herd doesn't get hot during a 3-4 day span in mid-March, then they're sitting at home. Would be much better off playing competitive teams in the OOC than Concord or Glenville. Let's say the Herd goes 27-4, but fails to win the SBC tournament. Think the win over Glenville is going to boast them to an at large selection? Laughable to play a schedule like this. For the teams playing Regent and Piedmont, do any of them play teams the rest of us have heard of before, teams without a direction in front of their name, or even a Community listed within the official school title?

Two or three wrongs don't make a right. If the Herd doesn't get hot during a 3-4 day span in mid-March, then they're sitting at home. Would be much better off playing competitive teams in the OOC than Concord or Glenville. Let's say the Herd goes 27-4, but fails to win the SBC tournament. Think the win over Glenville is going to boast them to an at large selection? Laughable to play a schedule like this. For the teams playing Regent and Piedmont, do any of them play teams the rest of us have heard of before, teams without a direction in front of their name, or even a Community listed within the official school title?
Apps playing Regent. Apps played @Louisville(W) and plays @Wake.
Stetson plays Peidmont. Stetson played @FSU(W) and @Florida(L).
We played @Queens 🙃

If we win the next four, the Glenville game will be a nice relaxing win. If we lose the next four, we might need a W to keep fans from completely losing interest.

If we win the next four, the Glenville game will be a nice relaxing win. If we lose the next four, we might need a W to keep fans from completely losing interest.
why would you think we would lose the next four

Take a quick look at the other Sun belt schedules. I just pulled up four and three of them play similar schools this month. Regent, Piedmont are just a couple. So this is common.

We played @Queens 🙃
In all honesty, Queens is a pretty decent team. Certainly way better on the radar than Glenville State.

Reactions: horsrman
I get respecting our in state peeps, and I am sure there is some random reason DD scheduled Glenville like "his cousin blah blah...." but I think it looks really stupid when we do that. Or, I think it looks ok to open with that. But we play at Duquense, UNCG, and host Toledo all in the next few games and thats a solid slate. And then right in the middle of all of it is Glenville State. At 7-1 with a strong schedule coming up, we throw in that nonsense. I realize the schedule is set before we know our record obviously, but I think it looks dumb to do that. Plus, on the SLIGHTEST off chance some day that we would be very strong, in a strong bball RPI year for our conference, and ever have a chance at an at large bid after not winning the conference tourney (I know I know), having Glenville kick our SOS in the nuts is not a good look.... Just sayin..
All major schools are playing some cupcake teams this time of year, no big deal.

Both sides of this argument can be correct... I agree that our nonconference schedule is a joke. Not playing one bigger school, and finding some of the worst teams in DI to schedule, is a chicken shit move to try to pad the win total... I also have no problem playing Glenville at home the week between finals and Christmas. It's a meaningless win leading into SBC play the following week, nothing worth being mad about.

We played @Queens 🙃
Not sure, but isn't former HERD Head Coach Donnie "We call him DJ" Jones the head man at Stetson? If so, nice W for Donnie there at Florida State!!

Too much emphasis is being put on that one game.
The schedule as a whole is a joke. It's one of the weakest in the country and just as predicted everyone thinks our record is 100% because old Danny has these boys finally going in the right direction. Sure the team has probably improved since last season, but what would happen if we actually played a respectable schedule.

It's hard to tell where these teams end up, but to this point these are the records of the opponents we've played.

Queen's (1st ever game as a D-I Team) 7-2
Tenn Tech 3-6
Little Miami 3-5
Coppin State 4-7
Chicago State 3-7
Morehead State 4-5
Akron Zips 4-4
OHIO 4-4

The only +.500 team that we've faced beat us.

The remainder of the OoC slate is as follows.
Duquesne 7-1
Robert Morris 4-6
UNC-Greensboro 4-6
Toledo 6-3
Glenville State (D-II) 5-4

So to this point our OoC opponents' combined record is 58-60

Last edited:
The schedule as a whole is a joke. It's one of the weakest in the country and just as predicted everyone thinks our record is 100% because old Danny has these boys finally going in the right direction. Sure the team has probably improved since last season, but what would happen if we actually played a respectable schedule.

It's hard to tell where these teams end up, but to this point these are the records of the opponents we've played.

Tenn Tech 3-6
Little Miami 3-5
Coppin State 4-7
Chicago State 3-7
Morehead State 4-5
Akron Zips 4-4
OHIO 4-4

Duquesne 7-1
Robert Morris 4-6
UNC-Greensboro 4-6
Toledo 6-3

Ok we get it. You will be bitching and whining if we win or lose. Congrats!!

Schedule tougher you whine about losses an easier schedule you whine about wins.

I hope this season plays out well so, like the Elmore years, you won't discuss much about bball.

Ok we get it. You will be bitching and whining if we win or lose. Congrats!!

Schedule tougher you whine about losses an easier schedule you whine about wins.

I hope this season plays out well so, like the Elmore years, you won't discuss much about bball.
You can be fine with season after season of underachieving if you want. Some of us would actually like to see efforts made to build a good program.

You can be fine with season after season of underachieving if you want. Some of us would actually like to see efforts made to build a good program.
I'm not fine with that. We've had several good seasons and an all time best under DD. Basically his first season and last season bad.

Damn shame you can't enjoy this year. I am. If he screws it up I'll talk about replacing him after season, meanwhile it's been fun this year and the team is good.

I'm not fine with that. We've had several good seasons and an all time best under DD. Basically his first season and last season bad.

Damn shame you can't enjoy this year. I am. If he screws it up I'll talk about replacing him after season, meanwhile it's been fun this year and the team is good.
We've had a couple. The rest have been pretty disappointing. Also it's not that the opponents happen to have bad records. It's that it was purposely done so that it would be easier for Dan to win games. How can you enjoy it when you know the HC is more interested in making it easier for him to win instead of actually building a team that can compete with the better teams.

He wins a conference championship then I can look past it. However if he face plants yet again it will be hard to understand how anyone would still want him as the HC of this program.

He should be looking for ways to get better players and better assistant coaches so that he can compete with better teams. Not look for weaker teams that he knows he can beat. That's just cheap and no one should be fine with that.

He's more interested in keeping his job than building the program.

If his name weren't Dan D'Antoni no one would be this supportive.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Like you? Lmao. I'd bet you don't have much invested in our bball program other than time babbling away here. That's why the Elmore years were so good, it shut most of the negative babblers up, but last year has them out in full force to the point these "herd fans" don't enjoy wins and almost root against team to hope they can be correct.

I was ok if DD moved on last year on his own or by the administration. It didn't happen so I'm supporting the team and enjoying the success. I'd get you blathering away if we were losing but you can't even enjoy what success we do have.

I'll worry about coaching changes after the season, as it should be.

Like you? Lmao. I'd bet you don't have much invested in our bball program other than time babbling away here. That's why the Elmore years were so good, it shut most of the negative babblers up, but last year has them out in full force to the point these "herd fans" don't enjoy wins and almost root against team to hope they can be correct.

I was ok if DD moved on last year on his own or by the administration. It didn't happen so I'm supporting the team and enjoying the success. I'd get you blathering away if we were losing but you can't even enjoy what success we do have.

I'll worry about coaching changes after the season, as it should be.
I'll enjoy actual success when it happens. The Elmore years were fun because we were actually a good team. Just beating up on average to below average teams isn't anything to be overly happy about. Like Dan has actually done something. I want conference championships. It's what we demand for football. It should be what we demand for basketball.

Who knew actually wanting a championship level program was being negative.

Reactions: The Real SamC

Tenn Tech 3-6
Little Miami 3-5
Coppin State 4-7
Chicago State 3-7
Morehead State 4-5
Akron Zips 4-4
OHIO 4-4

Duquesne 7-1
Robert Morris 4-6
UNC-Greensboro 4-6
Toledo 6-3

33, how dare you interject FACTS on this board!! This is fan board, for goodness sake. Opinions, not FACTS, matter here! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Elkview
Facts sound great. Fact is DD has taken us further than any other coach. Bleeds was wrong before that year too! But he keeps typing anyway

Facts sound great. Fact is DD has taken us further than any other coach. Bleeds was wrong before that year too! But he keeps typing anyway
But does a once time accomplishment give him carte blanche "freedom" from criticism? Entitle him to a lifetime contract? I think not.

Can't people wait to whine about this team AFTER they've lost a couple of games to the cupcake schedule? I get that the Queen's game was worthy of heavy criticism for a lot of reasons, but there has been virtually nothing to complain about since then. Take a rest for a little while...or maybe at least a post or two. I'm sure there will be a chance later in the year to say all of these things over and over again.

So, we are 8-1 against a less than stout schedule. With Danny having 3 freshmen players in his top 7, it’s exactly the schedule he needed to give them time to grow their games and mature. Teams at every level need to learn how to win and it’s especially true with young players. A rigorous schedule with lots of losses may very well have destroyed the confidence of the team and they sometimes never recover. Enjoy the wins as we watch them grow and maybe, just maybe, they surprise us all later. Go Herd!!!

Sure, so we should just aspire to what everyone else is doing? Jesus Christ Dude. I have never said anything against you, but that is one of the dumbest things you've said.

This is kind of why I was asking about this...

We're now 8-1. One unlucky loss from being 9-0. Average schedule or not, when you are 9-0 people start talking. Then along comes Glenville State on the schedule and people only need to see that one game, and their mindset instantly becomes "Oh ok I get it, nevermind"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT