ADVERTISEMENT

Glenville State

This is kind of why I was asking about this...

We're now 8-1. One unlucky loss from being 9-0. Average schedule or not, when you are 9-0 people start talking. Then along comes Glenville State on the schedule and people only need to see that one game, and their mindset instantly becomes "Oh ok I get it, nevermind"
I don't think that's the case. Would I have like to have seen some "P5" or bluebloods on the schedule? Of course. Schedule is what it is. Season has started. Team is playing good. Enjoy it.

Do people put a little too much emphasis on Glenville State? Yes, but is a symbol for the entire non-conference schedule. Duquesene is the only program of any merit at all that we will play. Combined with the 100% about football low effort programs that are the core of the SBC.

Yes, this league, like CUSA (another 100% about football league which I got roasted for saying that truth back in the day) is a one-bid league. But there still is a difference between getting seeded in the 11-14 slot and 16 or put in the silly play in games, which is where the SBC champions often go. If we have any illusions of doing more than losing to Duke or Kentucky in the first round, since there is nothing we can do about the SBC, we have to have a non-conference schedule of some merit.

Do people put a little too much emphasis on Glenville State? Yes, but is a symbol for the entire non-conference schedule. Duquesene is the only program of any merit at all that we will play. Combined with the 100% about football low effort programs that are the core of the SBC.

Yes, this league, like CUSA (another 100% about football league which I got roasted for saying that truth back in the day) is a one-bid league. But there still is a difference between getting seeded in the 11-14 slot and 16 or put in the silly play in games, which is where the SBC champions often go. If we have any illusions of doing more than losing to Duke or Kentucky in the first round, since there is nothing we can do about the SBC, we have to have a non-conference schedule of some merit.
Theres no question the SBC is inferior to the CUSA in basketball, and by a lot

Reactions: The Real SamC
The schedule as a whole is a joke. It's one of the weakest in the country and just as predicted everyone thinks our record is 100% because old Danny has these boys finally going in the right direction. Sure the team has probably improved since last season, but what would happen if we actually played a respectable schedule.

It's hard to tell where these teams end up, but to this point these are the records of the opponents we've played.

Queen's (1st ever game as a D-I Team) 7-2
Tenn Tech 3-6
Little Miami 3-5
Coppin State 4-7
Chicago State 3-7
Morehead State 4-5
Akron Zips 4-4
OHIO 4-4

The only +.500 team that we've faced beat us.

The remainder of the OoC slate is as follows.
Duquesne 7-1
Robert Morris 4-6
UNC-Greensboro 4-6
Toledo 6-3
Glenville State (D-II) 5-4

So to this point our OoC opponents' combined record is 58-60
So what? only the conference is what counts and you muct win the conference tourney to go to the big dance. And it is much better to have a winning record than to play so many teams on the road who you know you cannot beat.

I’m ecstatically happy to be 8-1. we’re playing defense and hitting 3’s. We play this same schedule last year and we’re maybe 4-5. We’re just playing very well regardless of who we play

Reactions: Russ Priddy
So what? only the conference is what counts and you muct win the conference tourney to go to the big dance. And it is much better to have a winning record than to play so many teams on the road who you know you cannot beat.
That isn't true. The SBC has 3 teams below 68 in NET (USM #27, Marshall #41, and JMU #44) and 4 more below 156. The better we are OOC vs Q1 and Q2 opponents, the better the chances of a potential at-large if we don't win the tournament. Just because we are in an historically 1-bid conference doesn't mean we should just accept that.

Take a quick look at the other Sun belt schedules. I just pulled up four and three of them play similar schools this month. Regent, Piedmont are just a couple. So this is common.

Interesting. My nephew played for Piedmont a few years ago.

Johnny Mize played baseball there during the 1930s.

West Liberty is the perennial power of the MEC and would probably make for a better opponent for The Herd.

This is perhaps the most viewed and commented contest on this board... especially for a game that's still 3 games and nearly a week away.

Most anticipated game in modern Herd history?

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
You are welcome "boy".....glad you coughed up some $$$$.....Marshall need$ all they can receive!
Yes the $8 a ticket I paid for after market seats were very helpful to the program. I also bought a water and a coke. Time to invest in a new basketball arena with those funds I put into it.

I’m ecstatically happy to be 8-1. we’re playing defense and hitting 3’s. We play this same schedule last year and we’re maybe 4-5. We’re just playing very well regardless of who we play
NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND------The HERD played like "dog breath" Tuesday night. Happy we decided to stay home & watch it on ESPN+.......$ I saved about $100 (gasoline, food, tickets)......

Yes the $8 a ticket I paid for after market seats were very helpful to the program. I also bought a water and a coke. Time to invest in a new basketball arena with those funds I put into it.
I AGREE...The CAM is sooooooo dark! It's like playing in a dungeon! I enjoyed watching the recent George Mason game (although a small facility) it was well-lighted. Marshall should knock out the back wall and add more endzone seats---might encourage more students to want to attend allowing them to sit as a group-----and add some vibrant lights......MU could play their 2023-24 season in Huntington's Mountain Health Arena (capacity of around 9,000)....

Last edited:
I AGREE...The CAM is sooooooo dark! It's like playing in a dungeon! I enjoyed watching the recent George Mason game (although a small facility) it was well-lighted. Marshall should knock out the back wall and add more endzone seats---might encourage more students to want to attend allowing them to sit as a group-----and add some vibrant lights......MU could play their 2023-24 season in Huntington's Mountain Health Arena (capacity of around 9,000)....
Marshall's student section setup is top 5 worst in the country. And I don't really know the other 4

West Liberty is the perennial power of the MEC and would probably make for a better opponent for The Herd.
I was thinking UPIKE. The team could charter two helimacopters and land on the roof of the gym/auditorium/indoor motocross track/rodeo/livestock auction.

Marshall's student section setup is top 5 worst in the country. And I don't really know the other 4
JoanBaller.....I AGREE. I support about 90% of all Universities have their students located in sections close to the court! But, NOT at Marshall....Never has---Probably NEVER WILL!!!!

JoanBaller.....I AGREE. I support about 90% of all Universities have their students located in sections close to the court! But, NOT at Marshall....Never has---Probably NEVER WILL!!!!
OOOOPS [my bad]......I HERD this season----the students were moved to two sections [along with the Pep band) to behind the visitor's bench!!!!! The question is.... will the students get off their butts & occupy their seats?????

So if only the conference is what counts, the out of conference schedule has nothing to do with getting yourself ready to be at your best for it?

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
So if only the conference is what counts, the out of conference schedule has nothing to do with getting yourself ready to be at your best for it?
The repugnant idea that “only the conference counts” and the yet more repugnant “get hot in the conference tournament” idea are borne of lack of ambition and standpatism.

Yes, the SBC stinks in basketball. Fact. So at least play somebody interesting, Have an ambition of beating them. And, if we do win the conference, get seeded somewhere where we play the 5th or 6th loser from a major conference, and not 16th.

Looks like Dan got his wish....someone posted to Facebook the remodel of the Henderson Arena.....players at a shoot around......the place looks "sweet....Baby" [as Dicky V] would say.... Now the ladies [basketball & volleyball] can practice/play in The Cam. DREAMS do come true for HERD Basketball.....Thanks to AD Spears...now work some magic for BASEBALL....

Reactions: Elkview
The week before Christmas is the perfect time to play a cupcake... Players are in the lull between final exam week and Christmas week. Not necessarily focused on basketball. So you play an easy home game, make a few dollars, get a quick 'W' and just help everyone stay sharp.

Spears wanted an added home game... DD I'm sure didn't want a 12-day break with no games around Christmas... Glenville gets to play a "big" game on ESPN+.
I agree 100%.......play an opponent like Glenville State [large game for the Pioneers--$$$]...and get ready to go 2-0 in the Conference with Appy State & JMU coming to town!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT