ADVERTISEMENT

Hamrick on future scheduling

The two best G5 programs in the country are BYU and Boise State. Schedule 1-1 with them.

Umm, no.

BYU made a huge mistake leaving the MWC. It will hang for a few years to see if the Big 2, Little 8 is going to expand and if (when) it realizes it is not going to happen, it will slink back home. In any event, BYU can get 1 for 1s with anybody it wants. Do not need us.

BS "U" is just the current holder (actually the most recent holder, its time has already past) of the "little engine that could" smaller school that can take on the big boys. We were them in the 15 years ago. Eventually the title passes (no matter how much the ESPN hype machine tries for it not to). Schedule them for the mid 20s and fly to Idaho to play a nothing program before no one.

I think it'll either be one of the AAC teams like ucf or someone who is beatable and terrible in the P-5, like UVA or Wake Forest.

However, I think, there's a slim outside chance it could be wvu.
WVU has kinda painted itself into a corner with the "no FCS" policy. As it stands, WVU needs another home game in each season from 2017 through 2023. (Right now, WVU has only 5 home games scheduled in each of those seasons.) The next season that WVU has an opening for an away game is 2024. Thus, WVU will be seeking schools for 1 and dones to fill those open slots. WVU no longer needs to worry about strength of schedule as it has at least 10 P5 games each year for the next decade, and in most seasons it has 11 P5s scheduled. WVU paid Georgia Southern $850,000 for last week's game. I believe that WVU will be using that strategy for the next decade. If WVU can't find G5 schools willing to commit to paycheck games, they will have no choice but to go the FCS route. We'll see.

The answer is simple: if you want to be the best, you have to play the best. The two best G5 programs in the country are BYU and Boise State. Schedule 1-1 with them. Plus we need west coast exposure if we want to be perceived as a national team. We also need to play a game abroad against anyone like UCF did last year against PSU. Finally, we have to win these games! The door is closing and our rep is 10 years old...

BYU is not a G5 program, they are an independent like Notre Dame and Army

Reactions: ohio herd
I think it'll either be one of the AAC teams like ucf or someone who is beatable and terrible in the P-5, like UVA or Wake Forest.

I only say this because I read an interview with the interim president...and the final question asked was really out of the blue, but it went like this,
"What do you think about Marshall and wvu renewing their series?"
He basically said,
"I'd like to see it happen again, and we've been in contact with their new AD about scheduling them possibly in the near future as it's good for the state as a whole."
Take that for what its worth...but there's a possibility it could happen since wvu has absolutely ZERO rivalry games in the Big-12...Pitt and Penn State are scheduled in the near future but the only school to bring wvu their highest attendance numbers was Marshall (minus LSU and some of the Big-12 games obviously).
Also, if Dana is serious about dropping FCS, we could easily fill in the spot...and sign a series with them...and for us, dropping the FCS school as well.

I looked at WVU schedule, they have a home opening in 2017 but they don't have an opening for a return until 2024

Also, we travel much better south than north. So we need to schedule winnable P5 southern teams like UNC, NCS, UVA, Duke and WF. Also, stop playing MAC schools. They are trap games! We left them and we should stop playing them. The Battle of the Bell is our past, not our future. Besides, we gain nothing beating them and lose much if we lose to them. We are still perceived as a MAC school.

There is no geographical, historical, emotional, and currently no administrative ties that would prompt Duke to schedule Marshall. The last point may change in the future, who knows. I've said the last three years that a Marshall / Duke bowl game would have been a really good matchup for fans and tv.

Also, we travel much better south than north. So we need to schedule winnable P5 southern teams like UNC, NCS, UVA, Duke and WF. Also, stop playing MAC schools. They are trap games! We left them and we should stop playing them. The Battle of the Bell is our past, not our future. Besides, we gain nothing beating them and lose much if we lose to them. We are still perceived as a MAC school.

The game with Ohio is the last true rivalry we have. WVU won't play us, ECU and UCF left the conference. Southern Miss is not even in our division anymore and we haven't played WKU, MTSU, FAU enough to consider them a rivalry. If we are going to play 1 G5 ooc every year, it should always be Ohio

BYU is not a G5 program, they are an independent like Notre Dame and Army

So then we aren't going to say that Notre Dame is a P5 then? Come on now.. Notre Dame is treated like a P5 and BYU is treated like a G5.. I don't care that they aren't technically in a conference

It's sad but our true rivals and a much better season ticket invite are all in the AAC conference. We need to bolt CUSA and pay the exit fees and join the AAC while taking Southern Miss and La Tech with us....

Honestly I'd be happy with an AAc sked and just one P5 a year....in CUSA we need at least 2 P5s

I hate that Ohio series is ending. Great rivalry that if we were in the AAC would be a good close rival that sells tickets.

Reactions: HerditAllBefore
So then we aren't going to say that Notre Dame is a P5 then? Come on now.. Notre Dame is treated like a P5 and BYU is treated like a G5.. I don't care that they aren't technically in a conference

Uhm, Notre Dame IS a P5 school....they are in the ACC.
BYU is going to have to join a P5 and its likely going to be the Big12, that is, if Texas doesn't break off and become independent themselves.

You are so full of it...

Trade - would not figure you along with a few others would be able to comprehend much less understand what I was talking about. You people want top tier ( major 5 ) competition to come to Huntington then Marshall is going to need to move to something better than a glorified 1-aa conference (and that in reality is all CUSA is with the recent additions) as well as be in the mix to be on sports networks that carry major college football and we all know who those networks are. Move to a better conference and TV will follow. Stay in CUSA and all we will get is exactly what you see today..not much of anything.

Will be interested to see the big teams are when Hamrick finally makes the announcement..will not be anyone from the SEC nor the ACC or Big 12 , only hope VPI does a 3 for 1. Probably will be powerhouse MAC or Sunbelt teams which will do nothing for the SOS when we play the likes of CUSA and the Norfolk States of the world.

It's sad but our true rivals and a much better season ticket invite are all in the AAC conference. We need to bolt CUSA and pay the exit fees and join the AAC while taking Southern Miss and La Tech with us....

If it were that easy, Hamrick would have done it 3 years ago. The teams that's formed the AAC did not invite us to go with them. End of story.

Part of me thinks that one of the announced series will be against either UCF or USF given Doc's Florida recruiting ties and preference.

I wouldn't mind a 1-1 deal with the likes of UVA, Duke, WF, Syracuse, UNC, BYU, Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, Iowa State, Kansas, UNLV, Colorado St., Boise, Arkansas State, UL-Lafayette....

Notre Dame has a deal with the ACC to play so many of their teams each year but they are NOT officially members of the ACC. They are technically still an FBS Independent

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...edora-gary-pinkel-fsu-georgia-tech-louisville

Well they are a member of the conference competing for the championship in every varsity sport sans football They will play 5 ACC games a year until they decide to add football to the other sports. If they are not a member then ND needs to return the ACC basketball title they won last March.

I only say this because I read an interview with the interim president...and the final question asked was really out of the blue, but it went like this,
"What do you think about Marshall and wvu renewing their series?"
He basically said,
"I'd like to see it happen again, and we've been in contact with their new AD about scheduling them possibly in the near future as it's good for the state as a whole."
Take that for what its worth...but there's a possibility it could happen since wvu has absolutely ZERO rivalry games in the Big-12...Pitt and Penn State are scheduled in the near future but the only school to bring wvu their highest attendance numbers was Marshall (minus LSU and some of the Big-12 games obviously).
Also, if Dana is serious about dropping FCS, we could easily fill in the spot...and sign a series with them...and for us, dropping the FCS school as well.
It's not WVU. ZERO chance. ZERO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well they are a member of the conference competing for the championship in every varsity sport sans football They will play 5 ACC games a year until they decide to add football to the other sports. If they are not a member then ND needs to return the ACC basketball title they won last March.

They are an ACC member in every sport like except football like you said.. But, we're talking about Football and they are still classified as an Independent in the sport of football.

WVU has kinda painted itself into a corner with the "no FCS" policy. As it stands, WVU needs another home game in each season from 2017 through 2023. (Right now, WVU has only 5 home games scheduled in each of those seasons.) The next season that WVU has an opening for an away game is 2024. Thus, WVU will be seeking schools for 1 and dones to fill those open slots. WVU no longer needs to worry about strength of schedule as it has at least 10 P5 games each year for the next decade, and in most seasons it has 11 P5s scheduled. WVU paid Georgia Southern $850,000 for last week's game. I believe that WVU will be using that strategy for the next decade. If WVU can't find G5 schools willing to commit to paycheck games, they will have no choice but to go the FCS route. We'll see.
While this is true... just to point out. WVU had to pay that sort of money to GA Southern because with the conference switches they were in a temporary bind for opponents. GA Southern was able to leverage that into a larger than normal payout. Another point... WV is concerned with 2 things... first is to arrange games with old rivals Pitt, Virginia Tech, Penn State, and Maryland where possible, and secondly to have at least one P5 out of conference game on the schedule every year. They will play games against other P5 schools in neutral sites for the $3 million paycheck if those can be arranged. They aren't ruling out games against G5 opponents at this point, but those will mostly be paycheck games.

It is possible that they would make an exception for certain G5 programs including Marshall, but definitely not on a 1 for 1 basis. That is simply no longer their policy, and it has nothing to do with Marshall per se. The current administration at WVU, both the school and the athletic department holds no grudges against the Marshall athletic program (the school itself might be another matter), and I am certain they would entertain reasonable (from their perspective) options for including Marshall in future schedules. I'd say a paycheck game, or a 2 for 1 is possible in the current climate.

Last edited:
They are an ACC member in every sport like except football like you said.. But, we're talking about Football and they are still classified as an Independent in the sport of football.

I'll pull a rifle here.

No you said they were not a member of the ACC, do you deny saying that. You didn't make a distinction until I called you out and now you're trying to walk if back. You shouldn't be posting within typing distance of my aura.;)

I'll pull a rifle here.

No you said they were not a member of the ACC, do you deny saying that. You didn't make a distinction until I called you out and now you're trying to walk if back. You shouldn't be posting within typing distance of my aura.;)

There was no need to make a distinction.. The conversation was clearly about football and how BYU was an independent and not a G5 but that they are treated as a G5 just as Norte Dame football is treated as a P5 despite also being an independent.. Another poster said Norte Dame was in the ACC I posted showing Norte Dame had not officially joined the ACC in football and maintained their status as an independent in relation to football.. And then you made your post.. But if you read the full conversation you'll see that there wasn't a need to make a distinction because it was clear we were talking about Norte Dame's conference affiliation in terms of football.

There was no need to make a distinction.. The conversation was clearly about football and how BYU was an independent and not a G5 but that they are treated as a G5 just as Norte Dame football is treated as a P5 despite also being an independent.. Another poster said Norte Dame was in the ACC I posted showing Norte Dame had not officially joined the ACC in football and maintained their status as an independent in relation to football.. And then you made your post.. But if you read the full conversation you'll see that there wasn't a need to make a distinction because it was clear we were talking about Norte Dame's conference affiliation in terms of football.

Well my last post went right by you, I even used a stupid emoticon for emphasis.

Reactions: Trebel06
Well my last post went right by you, I even used a stupid emoticon for emphasis.

In all honesty I have a really outdated phone and most emoticons don't show up on it. I was also reading and talking at the same time so, one went over my head.. What can you do? lol

Wish Mike Gwinn would stop posting about Hamrick making a big announcement BUT weeks away! Just wait until MH is ready then hit it with us. This happened last year - remember. MH "huge" announcement - two games with Pitt. I am glad we get Pitt but he made it sound bigger and even said on his call in radio show last year he wished he had not done that. Now here we go again. Hope it's a home and home with Kentucky OR two for one with UK like Ohio.

Trade - would not figure you along with a few others would be able to comprehend much less understand what I was talking about. You people want top tier ( major 5 ) competition to come to Huntington then Marshall is going to need to move to something better than a glorified 1-aa conference (and that in reality is all CUSA is with the recent additions) as well as be in the mix to be on sports networks that carry major college football and we all know who those networks are. Move to a better conference and TV will follow. Stay in CUSA and all we will get is exactly what you see today..not much of anything.

Will be interested to see the big teams are when Hamrick finally makes the announcement..will not be anyone from the SEC nor the ACC or Big 12 , only hope VPI does a 3 for 1. Probably will be powerhouse MAC or Sunbelt teams which will do nothing for the SOS when we play the likes of CUSA and the Norfolk States of the world.
well please tell me what G5 conference is so much better. Our bowl record as a G5 conference for several years been the best G5. Last year our OOC head to head against G5 was the best. No I am not buying into all the AAC is awesome and we are a fcs

Reactions: connsinfonia

Your comment about TV doesn't make any sense. Unless you're living under a rock anyone can watch pretty much any team play any weekend. Especially sports fans. To even comment that ESPN has to be an option is out of touch.

Notre Dame in the ACC is still weird at every level.

I will agree with you on all points but the last one. FCS is a different bird, why schedule one that "might" give you fits or beat you? You gain nothing by it even if you win and lose quite a bit if you lose. So if you are going to play a FCS school, it should be used as a tune-up, aka very beatable. If you want competition then stick with FBS schools, at least you get a bit more credit for an akron than you would with a Montana.

That's a very good point. For FCS games, I was considering the excitement factor rather than the will-it-help-us factor.

That's a very good point. For FCS games, I was considering the excitement factor rather than the will-it-help-us factor.

with next year's home schedule, we don't need excitement factor. we draw really well in september no matter who we play, and we'll have solid season ticket sales next year anyway with louisville, mtsu, wku, etc on the home schedule.

Your comment about TV doesn't make any sense. Unless you're living under a rock anyone can watch pretty much any team play any weekend. Especially sports fans. To even comment that ESPN has to be an option is out of touch.

ESPN is only one of multiple options (not gonna happen) - believe me with having Direct TV as well as the internet capabilities here I can pretty much pick up most any game But why have to hook a laptop to one of the TV's to see a game on ESPN3 on something larger than a computer screen...IT'S the NATIONAL EXPOSURE on the majors that I am eluding to not some two bit network out of Florida or again ESPN3 -

The conference needs a TV package with a reputable network - CBSS , ESPN , Fox etc vs what they have at this time. Then again when you look at CUSA's lineup..not exactly teams the nation is chomping at the bit to follow..even us due to the opposition (in conference with the exception of the game vs WKU or say the Purdue game and that primarily was due to it being scheduled on a Sunday when it was the only option.

ESPN is only one of multiple options (not gonna happen) - believe me with having Direct TV as well as the internet capabilities here I can pretty much pick up most any game But why have to hook a laptop to one of the TV's to see a game on ESPN3 on something larger than a computer screen...IT'S the NATIONAL EXPOSURE on the majors that I am eluding to not some two bit network out of Florida or again ESPN3 -

The conference needs a TV package with a reputable network - CBSS , ESPN , Fox etc vs what they have at this time. Then again when you look at CUSA's lineup..not exactly teams the nation is chomping at the bit to follow..even us due to the opposition (in conference with the exception of the game vs WKU or say the Purdue game and that primarily was due to it being scheduled on a Sunday when it was the only option.

the only games we'll have on espn3 are road games, out of our control. that said, if you want to watch games on espn3, get a chromecast for like $30.

Reactions: herdftblfan

I don't get why you don't think CUSA doesn't have a deal? Are you talking a new deal? The current deals don't expire until after this year. Fox, CBS Sports, and ESPN all have current deals with CUSA and once those all expire after this year who knows?

Why would you watch ESPN3 / Watch ESPN on a computer screen? Just hook it up with an HDMI or any other easy way many of which are wireless. The games are in HD and the quality is excellent. Is it as easy as flipping to a channel? No but it's not hard. Casual fans who just flip on ESPN probably are not even watching anyone but the big game anyway so does it really matter?

I think you missed my point too... Anyone can watch whomever they want. So that's exactly what sports fans do nowadays. Unless you're just a bump on a log sitting at a bar (with limited TVs) then you are in control of what you're watching. After you watch your given team then again you just look and see whos playing and watch it. If we want eyes on us it's about winning. The viewers will come.

well please tell me what G5 conference is so much better. Our bowl record as a G5 conference for several years been the best G5. Last year our OOC head to head against G5 was the best. No I am not buying into all the AAC is awesome and we are a fcs
The AAC is quasi Power 5, and looked at that way in that world. They have at least 5 athletic programs that are essentially Power 5 programs waiting for a home. They don't make Power 5 money from media, but they are close enough to be serious contenders, and for various reasons have good potential. UConn, Cincy, ECU, USF, UCF are all good athletic programs with upside. Temple could be that if they ever develop a fan base.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT