ADVERTISEMENT

Hamrick on future scheduling

The AAC is quasi Power 5, and looked at that way in that world. They have at least 5 athletic programs that are essentially Power 5 programs waiting for a home. They don't make Power 5 money from media, but they are close enough to be serious contenders, and for various reasons have good potential. UConn, Cincy, ECU, USF, UCF are all good athletic programs with upside. Temple could be that if they ever develop a fan base.

They are looked that way in basketball for a few teams but that's not remotely true for football. The national media at large views them as sliding backwards in regards to football. They patronize them at times but no P5 conference has any intentions of inviting anything outside of UC or UCONN.

The AAC is quasi Power 5, and looked at that way in that world. They have at least 5 athletic programs that are essentially Power 5 programs waiting for a home. They don't make Power 5 money from media, but they are close enough to be serious contenders, and for various reasons have good potential. UConn, Cincy, ECU, USF, UCF are all good athletic programs with upside. Temple could be that if they ever develop a fan base.
keep telling yourself that. Don't confuse the truth with the facts. Cincy may get in the Big 12 only because the Big 12 needs to have a conference championship. U. Conn has a great basketball program but that's it. there are plenty of good teams out there and the aac record on the field isn't nothing special

keep telling yourself that. Don't confuse the truth with the facts. Cincy may get in the Big 12 only because the Big 12 needs to have a conference championship. U. Conn has a great basketball program but that's it. there are plenty of good teams out there and the aac record on the field isn't nothing special
Cincy and BYU would be their best bets in my opinion.

Reactions: GeauxHerd

Uconn had one of the worst FBS football teams if ever seen last year. And temple had it's BCS shot and blew it. You say "if they ever develop a fanbase" like that's even a remote possibility.

If your in a city of $4M and you still can't develop a solid fan base after all these years then there is no hope

Reactions: GeauxHerd
I lived for many years in Connecticut. They have a huge fan base there and a major media presence in a state with 7 million residents and an automatic NYC presence. Overall, their athletic program is as attractive as that of Rutgers. They also have an $80 million per year athletic budget, playing in the best of the have not leagues. They're going to end up with the big boys at some point for all of those reasons, regardless of how their football program is at the moment. Duke doesn't play football either,and they are there. Also do not count out the Florida schools because they offer footholds for leagues other than the SEC and ACC in the best recruiting state, and it is a very large media state population wise too.

ECU is better year in and year out than either Duke or Wake in football. They have an outside chance of making the cut. It just depends on how many schools the money folks intend to have in the fold for competitive and audience reasons.

As to Cincy, they are about on a par with Louisville and Ohio is a large state. My bet would be that a league other than the Big 10 will eventually want to bring them in for a foothold in that state regardless of the XII's expansion plans. They don't fit with the SEC, but they would for the XII or the ACC.

Last edited:
I lived for many years in Connecticut. They have a huge fan base there and a major media presence in a state with 7 million residents and an automatic NYC presence. Overall, their athletic program is as attractive as that of Rutgers. They also have an $80 million per year athletic budget, playing in the best of the have not leagues. They're going to end up with the big boys at some point for all of those reasons, regardless of how their football program is at the moment. Duke doesn't play football either,and they are there. Also do not count out the Florida schools because they offer footholds for leagues other than the SEC and ACC in the best recruiting state, and it is a very large media state population wise too.

ECU is better year in and year out than either Duke or Wake in football. They have an outside chance of making the cut. It just depends on how many schools the money folks intend to have in the fold for competitive and audience reasons.

As to Cincy, they are about on a par with Louisville and Ohio is a large state. My bet would be that a league other than the Big 10 will eventually want to bring them in for a foothold in that state regardless of the XII's expansion plans. They don't fit with the SEC, but they would for the XII or the ACC.

Nobody gives a shit about UCONN football in NYC metro

Nobody gives a shit about UCONN football

Fixed it for you.

Fact is, we now know what most of us were pointing out to the hysterical for the last two years. All of this spew about THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!!

Notre Dame takes out Temple and Navy.
Ole Miss assreams Memphis.
Houston may run the table, but with 2 wins over "power 5" teams, the access bowl goes to Toledump.

And all the hysteria about spending billions to move from one conference to another which is no better, is shown to be so much ho-ha.

If Duke doesn't play football then wv doesn't play basketball, fair. Since the smack board is gone I won't tell what a douchebag you really are.

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
The Big XII does NOT need to have 12 teams for a conference championship game. The NCAA changed that requirement and said that a conference can pick a champion however they choose.

The Big XII does NOT need to have 12 teams for a conference championship game. The NCAA changed that requirement and said that a conference can pick a champion however they choose.

Actually you still need 12 as the other P5 conferences stood against the Big XII.

The thing is you don't need divisions anymore

Actually you still need 12 as the other P5 conferences stood against the Big XII.

The thing is you don't need divisions anymore

you need 12 to automatically host one, you can apply for a ncaa waiver with less than 12 to hold a championship game.

The conference needs a TV package with a reputable network - CBSS , ESPN , Fox etc vs what they have at this time.

Conference currently has a TV package with?

CBS, ESPN, and Fox. And ASN (Sinclair, owner of 2 or the 4 major TV stations in our area, and the largest owner of TV stations in the country at large).

Non-conference away games (Ohio and Kent State) TV rights belong to the home team. CUSA could have a package with every network in the world, and it would not affect those games in any way whatsoever.

Of the 11 games over which the CUSA contract has coverage, including the championship, 7 will be on a Fox channel, one on CBSSN, one on ESPN, and two on Sinclair's ASN (broadcast live in market on a free to air station. Those games are Norfolk State and Old Dominion, neither hardly something that would get any broader coverage by any network.

CUSA has no contract with ESPN3. The MAC does. Try again.

Conference currently has a TV package with?

CBS, ESPN, and Fox. And ASN (Sinclair, owner of 2 or the 4 major TV stations in our area, and the largest owner of TV stations in the country at large).

Non-conference away games (Ohio and Kent State) TV rights belong to the home team. CUSA could have a package with every network in the world, and it would not affect those games in any way whatsoever.

Of the 11 games over which the CUSA contract has coverage, including the championship, 7 will be on a Fox channel, one on CBSSN, one on ESPN, and two on Sinclair's ASN (broadcast live in market on a free to air station. Those games are Norfolk State and Old Dominion, neither hardly something that would get any broader coverage by any network.

CUSA has no contract with ESPN3. The MAC does. Try again.
I was able to watch some of the Norfolk Game in Gettysburg, PA this weekend. we are getting good coverage as you have stated.

How about the old professional wresting ruse where we buy out Georgia Southern and show up to play WVU. I believe that Anderson Brothers used this quite effectively. Let's think out of the box here people!

Reactions: HerdFan73
How about the old professional wresting ruse where we buy out Georgia Southern and show up to play WVU. I believe that Anderson Brothers used this quite effectively. Let's think out of the box here people!

No ruse necessary. If you want to play WVU that badly in Morgantown, just sign a contract. That option has always been on the table.

Georgia Southern made WVU pay for a one and done. Marshall could do the same.

There is one newer then that that pretty much said there would be no waiver. That is why Cincinnati and BYU is on the short list

That's not true. Both the Big 12 and the ACC are in favor of the change. The SEC is ambivalent to the change while it is believed that the Big 10 and PAC 12 may be opposed.

My sources still believe the change is likely.

The ACC wants to get away from the division requirement as they want to go to a Pod schedule and have the best 2 teams play for the championship

The ACC wants to get away from the division requirement as they want to go to a Pod schedule and have the best 2 teams play for the championship

I agree. That's why the ACC is in favor of changing the conference championship format.

BYU won't play on a Sunday so no conf. for them unless Liberty, Oral Roberts,Little Sis of the Poor, church of the What is Happin Now, and 7 more want to join up.

No ruse necessary. If you want to play WVU that badly in Morgantown, just sign a contract. That option has always been on the table.

Georgia Southern made WVU pay for a one and done. Marshall could do the same.

absolutely FALSE...

the newspaper article with Luck quoted as saying there was no option on the table for wvu/Marshall to play in any capacity has been posted here many times...

edit:

from the "Friends of Coal Bowl" wiki:
McGill, Chuck (August 31, 2012). "Luck has no plans to renew series against Marshall". Charleston Daily Mail (Charleston, WV). Archived from the original on September 7, 2012.

(article is archived)

C'mon Mike what mighty surprise do you have for us? Please do not tell us it is another MAC team. How about one of your former employers I.e., East Carolina (easy trip) or UNLV (home and home) better still tell us you arranged a home and home with UK. Hoping!

My suggestion would be to tweet questions about future schedules to @TheHerdAD during his radio show this Thursday. Maybe he can offer some new info then.

Sam and others - the point of this / was , look at the schedule and tell me how many Marshall games are being picked up by what most would consider the stable of major networks ESPN ESPN2 ESPNU CBSSN Fox1 Fox 2 , NBCSN CSNHD as examples that broadcast college football each week?

Just would like for Marshall to be able to be in a conference and play a schedule that allows for easy access to more than a couple of tv games a year. CUSA is killing us in more ways than not.

I would say BYU is definitely on a short list. Others I am not so sure about.

definitely on a shortlist. my comment was really about his claim that the possibility of a waiver is out the window for the b12.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT