ADVERTISEMENT

Herd Hoops

MU1989

Gold Member
Jan 18, 2023
What is the feeling with the coaches? Is this an NCAA type team? Any thoughts on who replaces Kensey?

Always fun to wake up in as nice pretty Sunday morning and read a stupid post.

The day has started. Now time for breakfast
frustrated youtube GIF by Hyper RPG

Feelings about the coaches is waisted energy. My guess is that Dan has earned another 1-year contract.
We certainly can be an NCAA Team. We will need to win the Sunbelt Tournament.
Over the years, we always seem to rue the loss of a great player. We, almost always, find someone to step up the next year. I believe we will have enough returning talent to offset some of Taevion's production and we may have a newcomer or 2 to help.

Reactions: MU1989
Feelings about the coaches is waisted energy. My guess is that Dan has earned another 1-year contract.
We certainly can be an NCAA Team. We will need to win the Sunbelt Tournament.
Over the years, we always seem to rue the loss of a great player. We, almost always, find someone to step up the next year. I believe we will have enough returning talent to offset some of Taevion's production and we may have a newcomer or 2 to help.
Dan should be back one more year, still he sucks.

Will we make the NCAA tournament, doubtful unless we win a championship.

Taevion is gifted and we may never see another one like him, most likely if we get someone as talented or more talented they will leave 1-2 years in, so I say “we may never replace him”

I went into the season thinking Dan earned the right to have this season and then ride off into the sunset on his terms after. But based on how well this season has gone, he has absolutely earned another year if he wants it.

This year's team is better than last year's team for sure...

The question of being "good" is hard to answer due to having played zero quality teams. We have 0 quality wins, and are 0-0 against "Quad 1" opponents. In the eyes of the selection committee, we have played absolutely nobody.

Is this an NCAA tournament team? - Only if they win the conference tournament.

Who replaces Kinsey? - In terms of scoring its too early to tell. My guess would be Conner would step into that starting spot next year, but with the way college basketball is now and how many freshmen play right off the bat, you never know until you see the new guys.

geezer - no kool aid for you!! Gotta disagree. The 3 frosh + Kurfman have transformed this year’s team. Not even close.
I’ll judge the season by the end results. If we end up winning the conference or the conference tournament and playing in the the dance, then I’ll give Coach credit. If we don’t make it, it’s just another unremarkable season that will be soon forgotten. Not even a participation trophy.

This year's team is better than last year's team for sure...

The question of being "good" is hard to answer due to having played zero quality teams. We have 0 quality wins, and are 0-0 against "Quad 1" opponents. In the eyes of the selection committee, we have played absolutely nobody.

Is this an NCAA tournament team? - Only if they win the conference tournament.

Who replaces Kinsey? - In terms of scoring its too early to tell. My guess would be Conner would step into that starting spot next year, but with the way college basketball is now and how many freshmen play right off the bat, you never know until you see the new guys.
Not to argue your points because they’re all correct.

But to add some context, there are 4 teams in the NET top 100 that have played the same amount of Quad 1 & Quad 2 teams as we’ve played (3)—which all of ours are Quad 2. There are 11 teams in the NET top 100 that have played 5 or fewer Quad 1 or 2 games.

You can imagine who have more than that and it’s mostly the programs who play in the larger conferences who have 10-20 Quad 1 & Quad 2 games built into their conference schedule (half of which they get at home). We can’t help that at our level. We never will. So outside of 1 or 2 games where we could have went on the road and played Virginia, Indiana, UK, OSU, or someone like that in November/December, our schedule is the same as it has always been. 1 to 2 games is it. If we play 2 of those games, let’s say we get hammered in one of them and play another one to a pretty close loss. Our overall record would be 21-6, our conference record would still be 12-4, and we would be 0-2 vs Quad 1 opponents. I’m not sure why that’s such a sticking point.

Reactions: MStap and ohio herd
Not to argue your points because they’re all correct.

But to add some context, there are 4 teams in the NET top 100 that have played the same amount of Quad 1 & Quad 2 teams as we’ve played (3)—which all of ours are Quad 2. There are 11 teams in the NET top 100 that have played 5 or fewer Quad 1 or 2 games.

You can imagine who have more than that and it’s mostly the programs who play in the larger conferences who have 10-20 Quad 1 & Quad 2 games built into their conference schedule (half of which they get at home). We can’t help that at our level. We never will. So outside of 1 or 2 games where we could have went on the road and played Virginia, Indiana, UK, OSU, or someone like that in November/December, our schedule is the same as it has always been. 1 to 2 games is it. If we play 2 of those games, let’s say we get hammered in one of them and play another one to a pretty close loss. Our overall record would be 21-6, our conference record would still be 12-4, and we would be 0-2 vs Quad 1 opponents. I’m not sure why that’s such a sticking point.
Because we aren't even on par with our comps, and quad 1 wins matter far more than quad 1 losses... Look at other mid-majors that are having good years record-wise. They all have played, and/or beaten, Quad 1 teams.

Records against Quad 1
New Mexico -- 3-2
Nevada -- 3-5
Florida Atlantic -- 2-1
VCU -- 2-1
Sam Houston State -- 2-2
Loyola Marymount -- 2-3

Teams with one Quad 1 win...
Drake, Southern Miss, Middle Tennessee, Grand Canyon, Seattle, Southern Illinois, UNC Asheville, Rice, etc.... Those are all teams that can only schedule very limited "big" quad 1 games each year.

There are only 29 teams in the country that haven't even played a Quad 1 team and we are one of those... We've played nobody, and when we discuss how "good" this team is on a national scale, that is a massive part of the conversation.

Because we aren't even on par with our comps, and quad 1 wins matter far more than quad 1 losses... Look at other mid-majors that are having good years record-wise. They all have played, and/or beaten, Quad 1 teams.

Records against Quad 1
New Mexico -- 3-2
Nevada -- 3-5
Florida Atlantic -- 2-1
VCU -- 2-1
Sam Houston State -- 2-2
Loyola Marymount -- 2-3

Teams with one Quad 1 win...
Drake, Southern Miss, Middle Tennessee, Grand Canyon, Seattle, Southern Illinois, UNC Asheville, Rice, etc.... Those are all teams that can only schedule very limited "big" quad 1 games each year.

There are only 29 teams in the country that haven't even played a Quad 1 team and we are one of those... We've played nobody, and when we discuss how "good" this team is on a national scale, that is a massive part of the conversation.
I’m not sure how massive it is. The Quad 1 system is top 30 teams on your home court, top 50 neutral site, and top 75 on the road. Louisiana was just outside of the top 75 and so will JMU this week. Akron on the road is also within 15-20 spots of top 75. We’re very close to having 2 Quad 1 games. If those opponents were 15 spots higher and we did have 2 Quad 1 games, I don’t see how our schedule suddenly become much greater. I think it still sucks.

I agree our schedule is weak and I’m not trying to argue that it isn’t. I’m just saying that you can look at it many different ways and if we had played four Quad 1 games and our record be 1-3 or 2-2 in those games, what would it matter? We’d still be in the same position we’re in right now.

Instead of asking what would it matter. Maybe I should ask whose resume do you think we should have right now if we scheduled properly?

Last edited:
Reactions: ohio herd
I’ll judge the season by the end results. If we end up winning the conference or the conference tournament and playing in the the dance, then I’ll give Coach credit. If we don’t make it, it’s just another unremarkable season that will be soon forgotten. Not even a participation trophy.
Now Sam - it’s not nice to highjack another member’s handle…….🥴

Records against Quad 1
New Mexico -- 3-2
Nevada -- 3-5
Florida Atlantic -- 2-1
VCU -- 2-1
Sam Houston State -- 2-2
Loyola Marymount -- 2-3
Let’s take a look at these teams:

-New Mexico—plays in the MW with SDSt (17th in the NET), Boise St (23rd in the NET), Utah St (33rd in the NET), and Nevada (34th in the NET). How many of those 5 Quad1 games are built-in in their conference schedule.
-Nevada—same as NM.
-FAU—going @UAB in conference gave them one of their Quad1 games. They went to Ole Miss & UF, which is solid. But their Non-Con SOS is ranked 256 according to KenPom. Ours is 286. FAU played 2 decent schools and that’s about it. They’re rated pretty high, but it’s because they’ve only lost 3 games, not because they’ve beaten a lot of good teams. 17 of their 22 wins have come against Quad3 or Quad4, like us.
-VCU—their program profile is much stronger than ours. I’m actually shocked they only have 3 Quad1 games. They are 82nd in the NET, we’re 78th.
-Sam Houston—congrats on their four Quad1 games with the bad conference they’re in. I think their model is what a lot of people are looking for. But they’re in the same boat we are where they have to win their conference tournament to make the NCAA tournament. They’re 60th in the NET, we’re 78th.
-Loyola Marymount—they’re in the WCC. They get St Mary’s (7th in NET) and Gonzaga (10th in NET) twice. There’s 4 of their 5 Quad1 opponents. Also, this team is 103 in the NET. They’re not going anywhere either without winning their conference.

It seems to me when you are in a one bid conference the deck is stacked against you. Somehow Sam Houston was able to schedule a more challenging OOC but they still end up about where we are having an easier OOC. This may not be apples to apples but this team and this schedule remind me of the 2014 football team. We had a really good team but with no P5 schools that year ( Louisville moved the game) all I heard was how we didn't beat anyone. Well IMO we had a great season and fielded an excellent team in spite of our SOS. I feel the same can be said of this years MBB team. They have won 23 games thus far and that's all they can do. Like the 2014 FB team I have decided to just enjoy the moment cause we don't have a superabundance of seasons like this one.

Taevion is gifted and we may never see another one like him, most likely if we get someone as talented or more talented they will leave 1-2 years in, so I say “we may never replace him”
lol, the most successful coach we have had in the last 30 or so years and fans say he sucks.. LOL, at least we have been able to keep someone in that position and grow the program. The coaches staying 2 or 3 years was killing the program.

Maybe they should ask the players who they prefer playing; Duke in Cameron, or Queens in Charlotte. I think we all know the answer. I have no doubt these kids would all like at least one shot against a big boy to see how they measure up. Nothing to lose.

Maybe they should ask the players who they prefer playing; Duke in Cameron, or Queens in Charlotte. I think we all know the answer. I have no doubt these kids would all like at least one shot against a big boy to see how they measure up. Nothing to lose.
And they may well get that opportunity! Instead of whining about the past, why not enjoy the present? DD has this team getting the fan base motivated to come out to the games. Game atmosphere seems improved, folks seem to be having a good time in the Cam! (Maybe that’s just the beer!)

Alls I’m saying is we are in the running for a regular season conference champ and an auto bid to the NIT. Let’s see how that plays out this week. Then we play Saturday week in the quarters. One step at a time, my fren’

Dan should be looking at a kid from Columbus area named Elias Lewis. He plays for Olentangy Orange High School. I watched him play and he gets the job done on both ends of the court. Height is about 6/4, and he plays defense with a passion. He as scored 47 points in one of their games this year. He is a senior this year. I don't know how to contact the basketball staff about this kid. Maybe one of you know how. As of a month ago, he had no significant offers.

Reactions: MU1989
We should have had at least one marquee game like football tries to. Like a Notre Dame or a VT/NCST type team. Instead we purposely avoided games like that. That is my hang up. This team has improved from last year and Dan has done a pretty good job, but purposely avoiding any type of high quality opponent is pure garbage.

We also never should have opened the season on the road against a team that was D-II last year. If we play them at all it should have been here.

FYI, minus the "sam" comments which i dont understand, this has been an awesome discussion. THank you all for the great read!!

And they may well get that opportunity! Instead of whining about the past, why not enjoy the present? DD has this team getting the fan base motivated to come out to the games. Game atmosphere seems improved, folks seem to be having a good time in the Cam! (Maybe that’s just the beer!)

Alls I’m saying is we are in the running for a regular season conference champ and an auto bid to the NIT. Let’s see how that plays out this week. Then we play Saturday week in the quarters. One step at a time, my fren’
WHOSE whining? I simply stated I think the kids would enjoy playing against a blueblood to see where they stand up. Nothing more, nothing less. People read way too much stuff into some posts.

lol, the most successful coach we have had in the last 30 or so years and fans say he sucks.. LOL, at least we have been able to keep someone in that position and grow the program. The coaches staying 2 or 3 years was killing the program.
I guess you can say…. we are lucky to have him this season, because he was about let go after last season.?.?

I guess if he can keep a top 4/5 team year after year in the SunBelt or win a championship this year maybe he should stay longer and retire when he wants..

still I don’t think he is much of a coach, I’d bet these kids have learned more about how to win and playing as a team in a gym when coach isn’t around. Some of the setup plays they execute look a lot like self taught plays they made up in some kind of street ball game. ( hey I’ll throw it to you then you set a pick as I run past towards the basket, lob it over top I’ll catch and score, ready break)

Certainly agree with your last 2 comments!
D’Antoni has not sucked as a coach in my opinion. He has recruited “student” athletes to play for us. He is a players’ coach, respecting each one, treating all of them in a way any of us would want to have our sons treated. Their education comes first. He has kept players that have not played well because of his commitment to them as people and their desire to complete degrees! He has helped others (willing to transfer) to move on to other schools! I respect him for this!
We exist to serve students and their desires, not ours. Ask any of the players!!

I guess you can say…. we are lucky to have him this season, because he was about let go after last season.?.?

I guess if he can keep a top 4/5 team year after year in the SunBelt or win a championship this year maybe he should stay longer and retire when he wants..

still I don’t think he is much of a coach, I’d bet these kids have learned more about how to win and playing as a team in a gym when coach isn’t around. Some of the setup plays they execute look a lot like self taught plays they made up in some kind of street ball game. ( hey I’ll throw it to you then you set a pick as I run past towards the basket, lob it over top I’ll catch and score, ready break)
Maybe, but have you been paying attention to the quality of coaches we have had in the last 30 years? Dan is the best by a long shot. Now, Billy The Kid was great but he only stayed two years.

Basic question, who was the last MU hoops coach to take us to the NCAA tournament and win a game?

The problem at Marshall is if you hire the good up and coming young guy he leaves as soon as he can get out, or you hire some dude that does not work out. That is our history for the last 30 years.

Again we are lucky to have him this year, because he should have been fired last year
I disagree, because he has earned the right to get it fixed. A Marshall graduate that won an NCAA game. More importantly do you want to piss his brother Mike off? I dont think so.

Sun Belt is not a top notch basketball league, but it would still be an accomplishment to win it our first year in the conference. I know we won the conference tournament a few years back in CUSA, but how long has it been since we actually won a regular season conference championship in basketball? Decades?

Maybe, but have you been paying attention to the quality of coaches we have had in the last 30 years? Dan is the best by a long shot. Now, Billy The Kid was great but he only stayed two years.

Basic question, who was the last MU hoops coach to take us to the NCAA tournament and win a game?

The problem at Marshall is if you hire the good up and coming young guy he leaves as soon as he can get out, or you hire some dude that does not work out. That is our history for the last 30 years.
Dana Altman was a great young coach but he left after only one year!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT