ADVERTISEMENT

I'm telling you guys. Huff just needs one more year.

Can I ask why you feel that way? No shade, I’m just genuinely curious about this.
Superfandom. Which I wonder how you can claim you love Marshall so much and call everyone else to the carpet and yet still support the guy doing harm to the program.

When I made that statement I'm am not simply meaning wins and losses. As he continues on this trend we're going to lose fans and donors which means revenue losses.

Once trust in the administration erodes it will take years to bring them back and that's years of winning.

Reactions: MUMAN3419
"Huff just needs just one more year. . ." to add to the extensive list he and his wife have compiled on why and how it is "hard to live in Huntington"!! With that done, they will look at each other for a few seconds, and then grab junior and head out of town VOLUNTARILY, for parts unknown!!!

As former Presidential candidate ole H. Ross Perot commented, "Problem solved!". :)

Reactions: Elkview
"Huff just needs just one more year. . ." to add to the extensive list he and his wife have compiled on why and how it is "hard to live in Huntington"!! With that done, they will look at each other for a few seconds, and then grab junior and head out of town VOLUNTARILY, for parts unknown!!!

As former Presidential candidate ole H. Ross Perot commented, "Problem solved!". :)
Has everyone not heard? Huff loves it here now. Funny, after ND win its a tough place to live. After he sucks and everyone wants him fired (except Perkins) he loves it here.

In corporate America the best and brightest people can always get a feel for when someone is in over their head... Maybe they got a promotion they shouldn't have, maybe the requirements of the job aren't what they expected, maybe they have things in their personal life that are making their work life impossible... It could be any number of things.

Huff looks like a guy that is in over his head.

He has all the buzz words, cliches, and scripted postgame comments about "lack of execution" memorized... He is a great rah rah guy... Looks the part, good smile, rocks the MU vest everywhere, seems like a very likable guy.

But all the window dressing in the world doesn't make what we've watched this season any better. Consistently unprepared teams, unable to move the ball on offense (forget scoring points, can we get some damn first downs), and when things start going bad they stay going bad -- No adjustments, no trying something else, it is what it is.

Because I am certain he gets one more year, here are the 5 things that need to happen to turn this mess around in 2023.

1. Hire an experienced offensive coordinator
2. Hire an experienced offensive line coach
3. Find a QB out of the 3 freshmen and prepare them for starter snaps
4. Recruit the heck out of DBs
5. Recruit the heck out of offensive linemen.

In corporate America the best and brightest people can always get a feel for when someone is in over their head... Maybe they got a promotion they shouldn't have, maybe the requirements of the job aren't what they expected, maybe they have things in their personal life that are making their work life impossible... It could be any number of things.

He has all the buzz words, cliches, and scripted postgame comments about "lack of execution" memorized... He is a great rah rah guy... Looks the part, good smile, rocks the MU vest everywhere, seems like a very likable guy.

But all the window dressing in the world doesn't make what we've watched this season any better. Consistently unprepared teams, unable to move the ball on offense (forget scoring points, can we get some damn first downs), and when things start going bad they stay going bad -- No adjustments, no trying something else, it is what it is.

Because I am certain he gets one more year, here are the 5 things that need to happen to turn this mess around in 2023.

I believe you’ll see 1, 2, 4 & 5 happen no doubt….as far as #3 goes I believe you’ll see that but also with another portal QB come in as well. But have to have at least 1 of those 3 separate themselves to handle the reigns and be a leader….

This was a complete team loss. From the coaching down to the execution of the players. COMPLETE.

Offensive line wasn’t blocking, Qb who won’t/can’t make more than one read or audible, defense allowed 21 in the first qtr, wide receivers running half assed routes and an offensive coaching staff that still can’t come up with more than a handful of plays week in and out.

aside from the defensive coaches who were able to make adjustments and give the offense time to get back in the game…the rest is a dumpster fire.

And this is what really pisses me off, the BOG and Athletic Committee fell for his smooth talk and ego - hook, line and sinker. They failed miserably with this choice.
This year and next will not be pleasant for Marshall football. jmho.

Huff will be back no doubt. Hopefully he can win 2 more games this season and we can upgrade a few things. The QB situation can be solved with a portal QB for one season . The 3 fr have the potential to give us a solid QB in the future. They need to hit the portal hard and get a couple more OL. The biggest issue is most of the bad stuff that keeps happening falls on him and his staff. I am no expert so I wont try to list all the issues. However it is obvious there are many. Next season there will be absolutely zero excuses to be had so he better have his ducks in a row. As frustrated as this makes me I am in the camp he deserves 3 seasons to get it right.

There are no exceptions and it’s not up to the bowls. It is up to the NCAA, which has rules. A team must be 6-6 with only one I-AA win counting, thus MU must be 7-5, which we will not be. If there are not enough teams to fill all the slots, then the remaining slots are filled by 5-7 (6-6 in MU’s case, which we will not make that number either) in order of academic progress rate, which we are not in the top 30 of.

Our bowl game this year will be, its basketball season, lets watch Danny beat up on Glenville State and Queens and 8 guys hanging around the rec center or whoever.

Funny, I seem to recall page after page of people upset and dissatisfied about the “too many bowls” and that we were going to the “weed whacker bowl” and all this crap. Now we are all worried about the same bowls that people were turning their noses up upon not that long ago.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
And this is what really pisses me off, the BOG and Athletic Committee fell for his smooth talk and ego - hook, line and sinker. They failed miserably with this choice.
If only there were in place an organized chain of command. Someone who was a professional and career employee who knows about athletics and not just some well-meaning but part time amateurs. They could call the position the “Athletic Director”.

This self-appointed crew of officious intermeddlers has harmed MU athletics greatly. We are certainly are now stuck with CH for at least 23, if not 24, and there is really no reason to believe it will get any better.

As to the “hit the transfer portal” and all of that ho-ha, EVERYBODY on EVERY BOARD for EVERY TEAM says that. It is not a revelation. Fact is the current administration is trying to sell MU as some kind of “last chance U” in an area that is “hard to live in” and all of that. We need somebody who understands just how special this school is and how it is only because of our fans that we, a fairly small public school in a poor and small state, far smaller than lots of schools that remain I-AA or D2 even, are at this level. Who understands that we have fine facilities and good fans. And who understands that this is a good place to live for all people.

Word on the street is that Huff doesn't like any of the freshman. High probability we'll be rolling the dice on another portal QB.

The QB situation can be solved with a portal QB for one season .
Why are people so confident in this? And even if it does it's for one season then we're starting over yet again. We're not choosy enough with these guys. We never should have brought Colombi here. There were plenty of warning signs that he was not going to be successful here and before people get all over me for that comment we are looking for a guy that can win us a championship not get to a bowl game. Something Colombi is struggling to do.

I know we're going to bring in another one, but if we do there should be a very stringent set of criteria before offering them. No more journeyman backups. No more guys that never had any success.

It would be nice if we could pull a move like WKU did and bring in a new OC that brings his QB with him. Go to the FCS and see if you can get one of the top QBs.

Transfers looing for PT are almost always busts.

Also if neither Zamora, Harrison, or Pennington are worthy of playing by next season then it speaks volumes for Huff ability to evaluate and recruits QBs because he will be 0 for 3. I won't count Pennington because he's a legacy player, but he owns Zamora, Harrison, and Colombi.

Word on the street is that Huff doesn't like any of the freshman. High probability we'll be rolling the dice on another portal QB.
If this is true it will be a big mistake... How do you recruit three QBs in the same class and not like any of them?

And if you bring in another one-year stopgap from the portal, you are rolling the dice that the young guys won't transfer out. I would guess at least one, possibly more, of the three would say see you later after next season if you go with another one-year hired gun.

As shitty as this season has been, its about time for a "hard reset" next year... We will have a new QB, a couple new WRs, a new TE, vastly different O-line (hopefully)... And 7 new starters on defense... In short, next year is going to be a challenge. No ifs ands or buts about that. Might as well pick one of the young guys and roll with him, and make the second best young guy the backup.

If this is true it will be a big mistake... How do you recruit three QBs in the same class and not like any of them?

And if you bring in another one-year stopgap from the portal, you are rolling the dice that the young guys won't transfer out. I would guess at least one, possibly more, of the three would say see you later after next season if you go with another one-year hired gun.

As shitty as this season has been, its about time for a "hard reset" next year... We will have a new QB, a couple new WRs, a new TE, vastly different O-line (hopefully)... And 7 new starters on defense... In short, next year is going to be a challenge. No ifs ands or buts about that. Might as well pick one of the young guys and roll with him, and make the second best young guy the backup.
I can tell you one big reason he isn't interested in developing them and recruiting another HS QB. Huff is interested in doing one thing and one thing only. He wants to win big and do it quickly and then cash out. He's had one foot out the door since he took the job that's why any success he has will fold like a house of cards the second he leaves because this roster will be decimated by filling it with 1 hit wonder portal players.

We've all known he was leaving after success so that is not a shocker. However as he tells his players all that "one game at a time" garbage he should be taking his own advice with "one job at a time". By looking for the next job he has alienated staff and overlooked the development of this team.

Our defense will lose almost all of it's starters next year, QB will be starting over once again, we still don't know about Ali and what are the chances that Labron returns, the OL is mess now and the lack of depth shows we're more than a year away from improvement, we lose Miller and Marshall(not like we use TEs anyways), and then there's no telling what else lose in the off season.

I was on the Charles Huff bandwagon, but gradually slipped off when it became apparent that he wanted out as soon as possible. When you’re the head coach, even if you can’t stand the school, you need to at least pretend that it is the best job in the country.

Last edited:
Why are people so confident in this? And even if it does it's for one season then we're starting over yet again. We're not choosy enough with these guys. We never should have brought Colombi here. There were plenty of warning signs that he was not going to be successful here and before people get all over me for that comment we are looking for a guy that can win us a championship not get to a bowl game. Something Colombi is struggling to do.

I know we're going to bring in another one, but if we do there should be a very stringent set of criteria before offering them. No more journeyman backups. No more guys that never had any success.

It would be nice if we could pull a move like WKU did and bring in a new OC that brings his QB with him. Go to the FCS and see if you can get one of the top QBs.

Also if neither Zamora, Harrison, or Pennington are worthy of playing by next season then it speaks volumes for Huff ability to evaluate and recruits QBs because he will be 0 for 3. I won't count Pennington because he's a legacy player, but he owns Zamora, Harrison, and Colombi.
We will find out next spring. Huff will have a hard time getting a transfer QB with Fancher as the starter. This QB mess started when Cramsey left who recruited all QBs except Colombi who Trickett brought in. Trickett chose to run with Colombi & Fancher. Maybe Trickett can’t evaluate QB talent??

There are no exceptions and it’s not up to the bowls. It is up to the NCAA, which has rules. A team must be 6-6 with only one I-AA win counting, thus MU must be 7-5, which we will not be. If there are not enough teams to fill all the slots, then the remaining slots are filled by 5-7 (6-6 in MU’s case, which we will not make that number either) in order of academic progress rate, which we are not in the top 30 of.

Our bowl game this year will be, its basketball season, lets watch Danny beat up on Glenville State and Queens and 8 guys hanging around the rec center or whoever.

Funny, I seem to recall page after page of people upset and dissatisfied about the “too many bowls” and that we were going to the “weed whacker bowl” and all this crap. Now we are all worried about the same bowls that people were turning their noses up upon not that long ago.
the NCAA has rules?? who knew?

Our past three coaches (Huff included) seem to have/had issues in evaluating QB's. Amazing that programs like MT, WKU, and many others seem to grab some dude every year that works for them.
We may have the worst QB situation in all of D1 football. I've even watched D2 games this fall where teams QB's were much better than ours.

QB and OL must the the top priority for us going forward.

Reactions: marshallisqbu
Our past three coaches (Huff included) seem to have/had issues in evaluating QB's. Amazing that programs like MT, WKU, and many others seem to grab some dude every year that works for them.
We may have the worst QB situation in all of D1 football. I've even watched D2 games this fall where teams QB's were much better than ours.

I don't think Doc's issue was evaluating. It was developing. Cato was a stud, Blake would have been really good had he stayed, and both Litton and Wells were pretty darn talented. The bigger issue is they did not get adequate coaching. Again I will never understand why the most important position on the field doesn't have a dedicated position coach.

Now with Huff it's yet to be seen. I find it hard to believe that none of the freshman are good enough to be factors in the QB race next year and down the road. That means that Huff completely sucks at evaluating QBs or he has absolutely no interested in the development process. He wants a quick fix so he can expedite his ascension up the coaching ladder. However his lack of patience is blowing up his career.

And there's a glaringly obvious other reason he was hired. Can't say it on this forum.

I would like to know exactly who is calling offensive plays. Is it all Trickett or does Huff have final say so?

We will find out next spring. Huff will have a hard time getting a transfer QB with Fancher as the starter. This QB mess started when Cramsey left who recruited all QBs except Colombi who Trickett brought in. Trickett chose to run with Colombi & Fancher. Maybe Trickett can’t evaluate QB talent??
A good OC will fix a lot of Marshall's issues

Reactions: RhinoD

In corporate america back in the day it was called the "peter principle."

I would like to know exactly who is calling offensive plays. Is it all Trickett or does Huff have final say so?
It's Trickett... Unless it's a pivotal play where we have called a timeout and they have time to discuss it.

Can you imagine the confusion if your OC had to call the play, then the head coach could veto the play and call something else, and then the QB had to relay the play in the huddle, etc... It would be a nightmare (and your OC would quit). A vast majority of play calls come form the OC, if it's a critical play, 4th down, last two minutes, etc. they may have a chat about it during a stoppage.

not really unless of course he fixes the OL issues and the QB issues as well.
True, but it doesn't take a genius to know not to slam your RB up the middle on 8-9 man fronts. When they walk their safeties down to the LoS leaving the entire defensive backfield empty that's primed for a shot. Instead we slam Laborn into a wall.

True, but it doesn't take a genius to know not to slam your RB up the middle on 8-9 man fronts. When they walk their safeties down to the LoS leaving the entire defensive backfield empty that's primed for a shot. Instead we slam Laborn into a wall.
the reason we do that is, to give us a chance!! We have no chance taking a shot!

BTW why put our money into coaches or buildings?? We need to spend less on coaches, and more on players!!! didnt we have to go outside to raise money for some of the anaylst? Why do that? Fire those coaches, take the money, Go outside and buy a few players, which is legal. We need to follow Coach Prime and see where he is allocating his money. I guarentee its in players and not coaches!!!

Reactions: KellyGreenAlumni

Imo offensive coaches who can coach up players is our biggest need. Is it possible that talent evaluation and raw talent isn’t the problem year after year but instead the (offensive) players we already have on the roster need coaches who can maximize their abilities?

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
My playcalling is worlds better then Trickett. My madden record proves it. He makes 84K a year at Marshall. I'll do it for $70k. @B.Smith I know you like saving money. Put it towards hiring @hughfreeze.

Imo offensive coaches who can coach up players is our biggest need. Is it possible that talent evaluation and raw talent isn’t the problem year after year but instead the (offensive) players we already have on the roster need coaches who can maximize their abilities?
True, development has been an issue for sure.

Reactions: KellyGreenAlumni
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT