ADVERTISEMENT

I'm telling you guys. Huff just needs one more year.

Playing QB is more mental than physical. Litton and Wells had the tools, but not the mental toughness and willingness/desire to make themselves the best they could be. Both were far more “talented” than Chad.

Cato was talented and ultra competitive, but had trouble with composure. Hill was talented but lacked the drive/focus. Bernie was talented, heck, Anderson was talented.

To be successful a QB has to:

1. Be mentally tough
2. Possess a high football IQ honed through hours and hours of study and self evaluation. This creates confidence.
3. Be charismatic and have leadership tendencies that can be developed.
4. Have a serviceable level of arm talent and athleticism.

To be great, number 2 or number 4 has to be high level. Peyton Manning and Chad were off the charts on #2, Byron was off the charts on #4. A guy like Steve Young was high on both. Josh Allen has the potential to excel in both.

Having a big arm or being athletic is overrated at the QB position. Give me a smart, tough, dedicated and determined guy. I don’t know how talented Chad’s kid is, but I know who has been teaching him what it takes to be successful.

God no and if baggage isn’t an issue go after prime time
Not going to happen... Prime will be getting a P5 job after this season... If nothing else he brings "wow" factor to some team that needs it. A mid-level P5 that thinks it should be a top tier P5 is going to way over pay Neon Deon.

Reactions: Jartard
Playing QB is more mental than physical. Litton and Wells had the tools, but not the mental toughness and willingness/desire to make themselves the best they could be. Both were far more “talented” than Chad.

Cato was talented and ultra competitive, but had trouble with composure. Hill was talented but lacked the drive/focus. Bernie was talented, heck, Anderson was talented.

To be successful a QB has to:

1. Be mentally tough
2. Possess a high football IQ honed through hours and hours of study and self evaluation. This creates confidence.
3. Be charismatic and have leadership tendencies that can be developed.
4. Have a serviceable level of arm talent and athleticism.

To be great, number 2 or number 4 has to be high level. Peyton Manning and Chad were off the charts on #2, Byron was off the charts on #4. A guy like Steve Young was high on both. Josh Allen has the potential to excel in both.

Having a big arm or being athletic is overrated at the QB position. Give me a smart, tough, dedicated and determined guy. I don’t know how talented Chad’s kid is, but I know who has been teaching him what it takes to be successful.
I agree on all fronts... You can make an argument that the three greatest QBs of all time were at the top end of 1, 2, and/or 3, but lacked in 4... Brady, Montana, Manning.

Guys like Marino, Elway, Aikman... All really high on 1 and 4, can also be incredible Hall of Fame guys, just a different style.

Huff said he told them what they had to do to to win and they didn't do them. Then went on to talk about Marshall beaters.

There was a lot of "the players didn't execute" talk.

Dude never takes accountability. He hardly if ever says the coaches need to better. It's almost always the players.

he always says we have to get better as a team and as coaches.

Can I ask why you feel that way? No shade, I’m just genuinely curious about this.

How would he be killing our program. He has been here for a year and a half. Bleeds constantly yaps about Ellis Johnson. The guy didn’t win a single game one season.

Sure the offense has struggled. But it did show signs of moving the football up and down the field on Saturday.

We have had the ball with a chance to tie or take the lead in the fourth quarter of each loss this season except for Louisiana.

Going the way we want? No. But killing a program? Not even close. Just Another “fan” making mountains out of molehills and preparing to call fans like me the problem.

How would he be killing our program. He has been here for a year and a half. Bleeds constantly yaps about Ellis Johnson. The guy didn’t win a single game one season.

Sure the offense has struggled. But it did show signs of moving the football up and down the field on Saturday.

We have had the ball with a chance to tie or take the lead in the fourth quarter of each loss this season except for Louisiana.

Going the way we want? No. But killing a program? Not even close. Just Another “fan” making mountains out of molehills and preparing to call fans like me the problem.
Keep defending him Aaron. As I stated above. The longer he's here and the more we continue to play like we have been you're going to lose fans, lose revenue, and lose out on recruits as well. We'll be back in a Snyder hole. You can fluff it all you want.

You're right we have had chance after chance to win games and we blew it time and time again.

Before Huff we're playing for a conference championship and 1.5 seasons since Huff was hired we're praying we just scrape by to make a bowl. Offensively this team hasn't been this bad since Snyder's 2005 team.

We will find out next spring. Huff will have a hard time getting a transfer QB with Fancher as the starter. This QB mess started when Cramsey left who recruited all QBs except Colombi who Trickett brought in. Trickett chose to run with Colombi & Fancher. Maybe Trickett can’t evaluate QB talent??

No. They attempted to get several. Ended up with colombi. He won the job because he was better than the rest. Started 2-0. Beat Notre Dame and then lost to a couple decent teams and got injured.

God Forbid we have an OC and HC that roll with the best qbs on the roster.

Reactions: ATX THUNDER
No. They attempted to get several. Ended up with colombi. He won the job because he was better than the rest. Started 2-0. Beat Notre Dame and then lost to a couple decent teams and got injured.

He didn't win the job. He was named the start before he even got here. They were already doing season hype videos on the MU Twitter accounts with him doing a cameo. Colombi has bust on him from the beginning, but so many wanted to just ignore the red flags because he played at TT in relief duty for a couple games.

Colombi also didn't beat ND. Laborn and the defense had far greater impacts in that game than Colombi did. He had a some nice plays and didn't turn the ball over, but stop acting like he's the one that won the game. Colombi sucks. Period.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Would this be the same Colombi bleeds that after the Notre Dame game people were on here talking about his game management and then you started a whole thread about how great he is going downfield with videos you dug up and posted and defended?? And now he’s sucks?? Or was it then things were going great and you were on top of your mountain and now things aren’t going great so now you can’t handle it and trash everything about it?? Got it.
You can defend and support and program and still not be greatly satisfied with the results.

And not sure where you get with Coach Huff being here we’re losing fans and support? Certainly the evidence of $$$ going into the football program from the outside is as high as it’s been in years if not the highest it’s ever been.

The problem is, Huff said they only contacted kids they had a relationship with. That greatly limits the pool of quality candidates. He better damn well go for the best he can get or he will be around here longer than he wants.

Reactions: Jartard
Would this be the same Colombi bleeds that after the Notre Dame game people were on here talking about his game management and then you started a whole thread about how great he is going downfield with videos you dug up and posted and defended?? And now he’s sucks?? Or was it then things were going great and you were on top of your mountain and now things aren’t going great so now you can’t handle it and trash everything about it?? Got it.
You can defend and support and program and still not be greatly satisfied with the results.

And not sure where you get with Coach Huff being here we’re losing fans and support? Certainly the evidence of $$$ going into the football program from the outside is as high as it’s been in years if not the highest it’s ever been.
Certainly there has been an influx of cash since Huff was named HC. I wonder if that cash flow will continue if we finish with a losing record and don't go bowling?

Barring a miracle influx of talent for 2023, next year doesn't look very promising either. Will that cash commitment still be there? Not so sure. jmo

What decent teams did he lose too? Bad teams, yes. Decent teams, not so much.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Keep defending him Aaron. As I stated above. The longer he's here and the more we continue to play like we have been you're going to lose fans, lose revenue, and lose out on recruits as well. We'll be back in a Snyder hole. You can fluff it all you want.

You're right we have had chance after chance to win games and we blew it time and time again.

Before Huff we're playing for a conference championship and 1.5 seasons since Huff was hired we're praying we just scrape by to make a bowl. Offensively this team hasn't been this bad since Snyder's 2005 team.

I’m not necessarily defending him. There isn’t anything that needs defended. The man is a year and a half in. Has a winning record. Went to a bowl game. Beat Notre dame. Built an incredible defense. Got us national publicity early in the year. Has worked around losing our best player. Has worked around losing a P5 starting qb. Has worked around losing like 500 plus career starts from the departing offensive line and still has managed to make us beyond competitive against a pretty difficult schedule.

But sure. He is killing the program.

yes, I know, everyone has an opinion. But good Lord man. There is a crap ton of good that he has done amidst a lot of adversity. I know all teams deal with it. But geez.

Reactions: FootballArmy
Jackson State ain’t that dumb. CH, like MS, is a career assistant, just way in over his head in a job he should have never been given. He will return to the SEC and we will see him in the background from time to time. It is where he belongs.

Not going to happen... Prime will be getting a P5 job after this season... If nothing else he brings "wow" factor to some team that needs it. A mid-level P5 that thinks it should be a top tier P5 is going to way over pay Neon Deon.
Or steal Primetimes OC

Reactions: RhinoD
CH, like MS, is a career assistant, just way in over his head in a job he should have never been given.
WE are talking about this coach...this team. However, If you want to talk about past coaches that "should have never been givens", lets talk about the guy you celebrated for his mediocrity and had never even been a position coach on the field. J.Doc H.

Still with the “But Doc…” BS after all of this?

Give it up.

This is 100% on CH, a career assistant who should have never been put in this position. And this team is 7 clicks below “mediocre”.

Huff couldn’t hold Doc’s jock strap at this point. It’s not even close, and add in the fact Huff is getting paid much more and has a larger more expensive staff.
Season 2 Reaction GIF by Insecure on HBO

Give it up.

This is 100% on CH, a career assistant who should have never been put in this position. And this team is 7 clicks below “mediocre”.
Agree it's 100% Huff. I didn't introduce past coaches into this topic...

CH, like MS and DH is a career assistant, just way in over his head in a job
At least be honest and add the additional mouth breather. I'll do it for you.

Mr. Perkins, yore putting yourself in a box. Let me explain:

Notre Dame game - driving for the go ahead score, Huff takes out Henry in the red zone and inserts Cam who runs two disastrous plays. On the second his helmet is knocked off and he has to leave the game. Henry comes back out and throws the go ahead TD.

If Cam’s helmet doesn’t get knocked off there’s a really good chance (based on our team being ranked 125th in redzone efficiency) that we try to run Cam again and we have to settle for a FG.

In this scenario you can’t both defend Henry being the best QB and Huff being a smart coach. Especially recalling he pulled the same switch in the redzone earlier in the game and was not successful.

I’m not necessarily defending him. There isn’t anything that needs defended. The man is a year and a half in. Has a winning record. Went to a bowl game. Beat Notre dame. Built an incredible defense. Got us national publicity early in the year. Has worked around losing our best player. Has worked around losing a P5 starting qb. Has worked around losing like 500 plus career starts from the departing offensive line and still has managed to make us beyond competitive against a pretty difficult schedule.

But sure. He is killing the program.

yes, I know, everyone has an opinion. But good Lord man. There is a crap ton of good that he has done amidst a lot of adversity. I know all teams deal with it. But geez.

Whats his record against FBS competition?

Last edited:
My comment was in relation to Hugh freeze at auburn. The fighting war eagles should go after prime time

Just an fyi. Of Docs 85 wins, 26 were against teams with winning records. That includes any bowl or FCS teams.

Reactions: MUMAN3419
God no and if baggage isn’t an issue go after prime time
Neither of those two would take the Marshall job. Prime Time is going to end up with a P5 job, maybe back at LSU. Marshall is a step down from Liberty right now'(making $5 million a year) and Freeze is being mentioned for the Auburn job.

Last edited:
Doc was consistently above average... Just never great... And his teams choked in games they had no business losing (primarily vs MTSU, Charlotte and any team in the state of Texas).

We dont know that Huff is consistently anything yet... His teams have been all over the map thus far in his tenure. From the biggest upset in school history to inexplicable losses against bad teams. Unfortunately for Huff, he isn't off to a good start and year two looks worse than year one, which is not the trend you want to start.

Doc was consistently above average... Just never great... And his teams choked in games they had no business losing (primarily vs MTSU, Charlotte and any team in the state of Texas).

We dont know that Huff is consistently anything yet... His teams have been all over the map thus far in his tenure. From the biggest upset in school history to inexplicable losses against bad teams. Unfortunately for Huff, he isn't off to a good start and year two looks worse than year one, which is not the trend you want to start.

Doc's first three years were not exactly stellar. He had two losing seasons and one season barely above .500. He was lucky he had the AD he had.

Doc Holliday's first 3 seasons were 5-7, 7-6, 5-7. His record against teams with winning records (career) was also abysmal.
yep all of that is true. However Doc took over a program that had been 23-37 the previous 5 seasons. Huff took over for a team that had been in the conference title game with most of the players back. One took over a dumpster fire the other took over a program that kept sh&&&&& the bed every year and falling short of winning the title. Personally I am of the view we got to stay the course and live with our choice for at least one more year. Hopefully he grows into the job and he can bring in some staff that will help us accomplish what he was hired to do - win a conference title often.

yep all of that is true. However Doc took over a program that had been 23-37 the previous 5 seasons. Huff took over for a team that had been in the conference title game with most of the players back. One took over a dumpster fire the other took over a program that kept sh&&&&& the bed every year and falling short of winning the title. Personally I am of the view we got to stay the course and live with our choice for at least one more year. Hopefully he grows into the job and he can bring in some staff that will help us accomplish what he was hired to do - win a conference title often.
Agree, we made the shit sandwich now we have to eat it....but after the 2023 season that meal is over. Huff will turn it around or be found in the pages of history! I don't think he's bad guy so I hope he can turn this around.

Reactions: ohio herd

Give it up.

you were the one that accurately mentioned snyder and huff as career assistants and poor head coaches while surprisingly leaving out career assistant Doc and perpetual underachiever as a HC.

you on those nuts even after he's gone, huh?

- CH is simply over his head. It is not going to get better. He had a special day against the worst Notre Dame team (which also made a program damaging coaching hire) in 20 years, and literally has accomplished nothing else.

- Someone will be dumb enough to hire Deion. This is an act. Reality is that IN MODERN TIMES (yes, I know about what players came out of those places in long past eras) the level of play at HBCUs is very low. And most have facilities that are more like D2 or NAIA level. Deion tosses around some cash and flash and beat up on other HBCUs with players that are playing below the level of school they should be. He isn’t the first guy to try this. That won’t translate to the SEC or ACC, where everybody has unlimited money and every do dad they could ever want, and every team is all five stars.

- Freeze just signed a renewal at Liberty based on USPAM showing some interest. Yes, contracts are made to be broken, but is he really worth an eight figure buyout, plus whatever they would have to pay him? I really wish we could have gotten Liberty in the Sun Belt, much more potential than ODU (who will beat us by 25).

Doc was consistently above average.
His first 3 seasons were not.

Doc was given those years without hassle because he was a good ole boy coming home to WV. He had no other aspirations for higher positions and said it was “his dream” job. Given unlimited time to “learn on the job”.

Huff is largely the same guy. No coordinator head coaching experience. Assist Head coach, recruiting coordinator for a major SEC program. Transitioning into a new league.

The real issue with many fans: he’s an outsider, who most fans thought would be gone in under 5 years if successful. And now…because we are not demonstrating the “success” they want, want his head. Issues compounded because “he’s been looking for a job since he got here so he should leave.” despite he and his wife choosing to be a part of the community in far greater levels than the “good ole WV boy” ever did while here.

From his press conferences I think Huff actually understands the game of football better than the last guy. I actually think in time Huff will be a pretty good coach. He does have a lot to learn and will likely improve in time. (Whether here or somewhere else). Can he build an assistant coaching staff that performs effectively? Defense has proven thus far he can. Offensively he has not…

Recruiting is a mixed bag. The portal is a new phenomena for all coaches to figure out. Anyone believing that a portal transfer equates to instant success is being foolish. When you bring in 40 new faces to a team, it’s going to take a helluva a lot to indoctrinate them into a system and perform quickly. The assistant coaches are going to have to be special in order to do it.

Im not throwing Huff over board yet. We are not in the locker room. We are not in the coaches room. I’m going to give the guy another season to get the offense production turned around. Changes definitely need made this off season to improve. 3 seasons is plenty to make those changes.

Fans also wanted changes in the athletic dept. Those changes are now ongoing. Some we hear about…many we don’t. Again, Marshall has been doing the same damn thing for multiple generations. IT TAKES TIME to make changes. I’m going to be patient while changes are ongoing.

One took over a dumpster fire the other took over a program that kept sh&&&&& the bed every year and falling short of winning the title.
I don’t view this much of a difference.

We didn’t so much “play” for titles as much as we needed others to lose in order to get into title contention.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT