ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL GAME THREAD La Tech

We’re awful. Absolutely awful. We don’t have any true shooters. Andy can’t even be a true point and run the “offense”.

Not seeing anything close to leadership out of Kinsey and Taylor. Little production out of either

This is about the 4th cluster in a row. Just need to get back on the horse and ride, ride, ride.

DantonI skipping the Steve Cotton post game interview again. He will probably say at the post game media press conference how mad he is. My prediction - after he says how mad he is “We just need to go back and work on a few thing, try to figure this out. We are a good ball team. We just need to get things figured out.”
Do they still do a lot of dunks and alley-oops in practice? They need to work 0n shooting realistic game shots. The shooting percentage has been pretty poor lately.

• Angry
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
If you did an iso camera shot on just the two head coaches, you would see the opposing coach - active, vocal, communicating with his players & very encouraging, vs Dan - a 73 y.o. standing, with his arms crossed (terrible non-verbal), silently watching. With a slight scowl on his face. So, as a player, you’re looking for feedback, and you’re getting nothing. No wonder the team looks lost on both ends of the court.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
If you did an iso camera shot on just the two head coaches, you would see the opposing coach - active, vocal, communicating with his players & very encouraging, vs Dan - a 73 y.o. standing, with his arms crossed (terrible non-verbal), silently watching. With a slight scowl on his face. So, as a player, you’re looking for feedback, and you’re getting nothing. No wonder the team looks lost on both ends of the court.
Because he just lets them “play ball” … which would be fine if our team had enough players that were stars in their own position. The Hillbilly ball style was fun for like 4 years, and still has its moment of fun…like when we’re up 15 on someone… but overall, it’s going to get you out coached every time against a real staff that is engaging and active on the sidelines to make in game corrections.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
This a VERY SAD and POOR PERFORMING team. I have been very quiet about the coach, but it is time to bite the bullet right now and give him his termination papers and start over. As I watched them last night they appear to be playing "pick up" ball that anyone can play at their local gym or even worse local park.

I was so upset that my wife turned the channel at half time because she was afraid, I would start throwing things at the TV. I guess I will not be attending any men's basketball games at Marshall this year. Maybe the women's games will be better coached and played.

Can we start the football season earlier since at least they have been competitive this past year.

Tired of hearing DD talk about the stats. He says our shot will come. Hell this was the 14th game of the year, don't you think its time? If you had real shooters instead of a bunch of kids acting like they are in the NBA. Your shots should be falling at the first game. TK has read to much press along with the rest. I appreciate the effort he has given the Herd but I think it's time to look in a different direction. We suffered thru Freeman, White, Herrion and now this. The bleeding has to stop.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
Dan is a great guy and well enough connected that I doubt he will ever be fired. Considering his age and the downward trend of the team, I hope Dan will call it a career and make room for a new coach.

Reactions: RhinoD
It's time to move on. Let Cline coach the rest of the season and then hire A.W. in March.
AW might end up being a good coach, but it is to justify getting rid of Dan for AW since he recruited 2 of Dan’s castoffs and EKU got throttled earlier in the season by Marshall. I mean this is looking to be a Jirsa bad bball team this year…
Their style of play was not that much different than ours, they shot and missed a bunch of 3’s.

This a VERY SAD and POOR PERFORMING team. I have been very quiet about the coach, but it is time to bite the bullet right now and give him his termination papers and start over. As I watched them last night they appear to be playing "pick up" ball that anyone can play at their local gym or even worse local park.

I was so upset that my wife turned the channel at half time because she was afraid, I would start throwing things at the TV. I guess I will not be attending any men's basketball games at Marshall this year. Maybe the women's games will be better coached and played.

Can we start the football season earlier since at least they have been competitive this past year.
Now you've gone and done it. Sam won't like it that you used the term competitive in the same sentence with football.

IMO, DD was counting on Taylor and Kinsey to carry the load...and, up to now, they haven't.

Reactions: Herd1972
"But gosh darn his personality more than makes up for his terrible coaching ability."

I bet DD retires after this season...which is really he just avoiding being fired.

"But gosh darn his personality more than makes up for his terrible coaching ability."

I bet DD retires after this season...which is really he just avoiding being fired.
I think this is a likely scenario... I've been as big a DD supporter as anyone, but last year was underachieving (COVID kindof gave everyone a pass) and this year is just bad basketball.

Time for fresh eyes on the program.

With new president and AD I believe this will be his last year. Look for a young coach similar to the Huff hire.

It's time to move on. Let Cline coach the rest of the season and then hire A.W. in March.
IF a change is made, can we please get away from limiting our search to just coaches with ties back to Marshall? Please! Go get another young, driven assistant coach with NCAA tourney AND P5 team experience on his resume.

LOL, what makes you think A.W. would come here?
Don't know that he would. I threw his name out as an example. I don't care who we get, so long as he actually implements an offensive and defensive gameplan beyond run up and down the floor and chuck up shots.

Don't know that he would. I threw his name out as an example. I don't care who we get, so long as he actually implements an offensive and defensive gameplan beyond run up and down the floor and chuck up shots.

He'll need to recruit better. The fuzzy feeling DD wanted everyone to have because he recruited WV hasn't really paid off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT