ADVERTISEMENT

Like it or not, SamC was right once again

This is a token effort. Tune in next Sunday and see where the champion of this vomit league is placed. That is just how easy it is in the SBC. And DD can't get it done.

And tune in next fall. When you see DD is still here, you will realize this is still a token effort. When DD finally goes, and is replaced by one of his assistants, it still will be. This is a token effort.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
This is a token effort. Tune in next Sunday and see where the champion of this vomit league is placed. That is just how easy it is in the SBC. And DD can't get it done.

And tune in next fall. When you see DD is still here, you will realize this is still a token effort. When DD finally goes, and is replaced by one of his assistants, it still will be. This is a token effort.
Lafayette with a win tonight is projected to be a 14 seed... South Alabama with a win is a 16 and likely a play-in game participant.

This is a token effort.
Pretty much. Dan is a great guy, but in his decade of coaching Marshall, he has never won a conference championship. His one tournament championship win and trip to the Dance is now looking more and more like an anomaly than a trend.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
Pretty much. Dan is a great guy, but in his decade of coaching Marshall, he has never won a conference championship. His one tournament championship win and trip to the Dance is now looking more and more like an anomaly than a trend.
Never beaten a team from a power conference and now avoids them at the detriment of the program. He's a grifter. Period. He cheated the program out of a money game and any attempt to build and at-large resume so he could pad his win total to ensure he kept his job.

I thank Dan for that conference tournament win and not only making the dance, but advancing. However it is clear that was the peak for Dan and he is unable to elevate this program any futher.

By his own admission during the conference change discussions Dan stated that the SBC was not as good of a league as CUSA and if given the choice he would have stayed put. Couple that with the fact that this team had the SBC PoY (who is a NBA talent), the SBC FoY, and had two players that were 1st Team All-SBC and still could not win the regular season title or even advance past our first game in the tournament let alone win it.

Things aren't going to get any better next season. To those that say he needs to rebuild. The man is 75 years old. How many more years does he have to build anything?

Giving Dan a new deal (hearing he wants 3 years) is losing deal for Marshall. He has not earned it. If he stays it's because our leadership is beholden to him and to @The Real SamC's point they have not actual vision or investment in building a strong championship level basketball team. Which in this league would not be that tall of a task.

Giving Dan a new deal (hearing he wants 3 years) is losing deal for Marshall. He has not earned it.

We could tarp off more seats. Perhaps if the pot bill passes the legislature, we could salt a fake news story that all the pot smokers make it unsafe to use but the first five rows, just like the salted fake story about beer and the upper deck. Because that is all we will be drawing after a few more years of this token effort.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33

The HERD does have a very capable, MARK CLINE "awaiting in the wings...." when DD determines it is time to play more golf and step away??????

I would guess Cline is about 54 years young!

Career journeyman assistant. And has spent years with DD, which is disqualifying from any consideration.

Fire DD, fire everybody in the building, run off everyone that can be run off.

Or admit this is a token effort.

This is a token effort.

MORE
Career journeyman assistant. And has spent years with DD, which is disqualifying from any consideration.

Fire DD, fire everybody in the building, run off everyone that can be run off.

Or admit this is a token effort.

This is a token effort.
MORE HOT AIR ...from Sad Sam......Get a Life or throw your hat in the ring with AD Spears....

Never beaten a team from a power conference and now avoids them at the detriment of the program. He's a grifter. Period. He cheated the program out of a money game and any attempt to build and at-large resume so he could pad his win total to ensure he kept his job.

I thank Dan for that conference tournament win and not only making the dance, but advancing. However it is clear that was the peak for Dan and he is unable to elevate this program any futher.

By his own admission during the conference change discussions Dan stated that the SBC was not as good of a league as CUSA and if given the choice he would have stayed put. Couple that with the fact that this team had the SBC PoY (who is a NBA talent), the SBC FoY, and had two players that were 1st Team All-SBC and still could not win the regular season title or even advance past our first game in the tournament let alone win it.

Things aren't going to get any better next season. To those that say he needs to rebuild. The man is 75 years old. How many more years does he have to build anything?

Giving Dan a new deal (hearing he wants 3 years) is losing deal for Marshall. He has not earned it. If he stays it's because our leadership is beholden to him and to @The Real SamC's point they have not actual vision or investment in building a strong championship level basketball team. Which in this league would not be that tall of a task.

What's interesting is (and I said this in another thread but more direct to your post), MU and Dan are at a level where coaching actually matters more than anything.
I always said Mid-Majors have some amazing coaches, because they never get the talent the Power programs get, who can sort of coast and be half as skilled using X's and O's.
Dan actually, however, had a good roster, as stated, you have that kind of talent and can't make ANY progress?!?

It really, in the end, falls squarely on Dan.

The HERD does have a very capable, MARK CLINE "awaiting in the wings...." when DD determines it is time to play more golf and step away??????

He will be 59 in June…

I’m shocked that Jerkins hasn’t weighed in telling everyone that they are wrong, and his opinion is the only right opinion as a “fan”.

• Haha
Reactions: mlblack16.

DD now says the SB is a better, more physical league top to bottom. Interesting how the narrative changes.

• Haha

Mark Cline was a HS star at Williamson, he ended up going to Wake but waited until the last moment hoping UK would offer, he never visited Marshall as it was beneath him. Wake is a fine school and certainly he had every right to do what he thought was best for himself but I'd rather have guy like J.R. Vanhoose on the bench. A guy who is a son of Marshall that could have gone other places as well but chose us!

I feel they need an up & coming coach, maybe someone in their late 30s/early 40s. Sure, if they're successful, you'll lose them, but that's what mid-major basketball is all about. If you hire unproven old guys like myself, you're pretty much stuck with them, unless you give them the axe. When that occurs, old guys like myself move to the beach, put on a speed-o, and relax until the sun goes down.

I feel they need an up & coming coach, maybe someone in their late 30s/early 40s. Sure, if they're successful, you'll lose them, but that's what mid-major basketball is all about. If you hire unproven old guys like myself, you're pretty much stuck with them, unless you give them the axe. When that occurs, old guys like myself move to the beach, put on a speed-o, and relax until the sun goes down.
Unfortunately I feel the vibrations that this regime will be back next season!

Reactions: greengeezer
Mark Cline was a HS star at Williamson, he ended up going to Wake but waited until the last moment hoping UK would offer, he never visited Marshall as it was beneath him. Wake is a fine school and certainly he had every right to do what he thought was best for himself but I'd rather have guy like J.R. Vanhoose on the bench. A guy who is a son of Marshall that could have gone other places as well but chose us!
What is the fascination with Marshall fans wanting to hire former players/alum? I've never understood this.

Unfortunately I feel the vibrations that this regime will be back next season!
Correct, but those vibrations you feel are an earthquake, as I think Coach Dan will be at Marshall as long as he chooses to be at Marshall. I've known about that family since they were playing hoops in Mullens. One of, if not the toughest place to play in Southern WV back in the day, outside of maybe Northfork. I think their dad was very active into his 90s, so thinking Dan has many years left as well.

What is the fascination with Marshall fans wanting to hire former players/alum? I've never understood this.
I can only speak for myself...But Mark was a nationally recognized player that was badly wanted here but chose a different school, J. R. was also a nationally recognized player that turned down Vanderbilt and other schools to come to Marshall. If I can to sum up this question of "fascination" as you put it, I'd say it about loyality.

Correct, but those vibrations you feel are an earthquake, as I think Coach Dan will be at Marshall as long as he chooses to be at Marshall. I've known about that family since they were playing hoops in Mullens. One of, if not the toughest place to play in Southern WV back in the day, outside of maybe Northfork. I think their dad was very active into his 90s, so thinking Dan has many years left as well.
I hope we are both wrong...but we're not! How in the hell did we go nearly 6 minutes without a bucket after we had the game won against Texas State? Geez!

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

Mark Cline is terrible. Every one of our bigs are soft and rebound flat footed. Since he's been here we've been weak underneath.

Reactions: Jartard
I will give DD credit on that one... That has to be the single greatest excuse for having a losing record I've ever heard.
He tried every single one he could and his blue haired cronies ate it up. Got to keep the grift alive somehow I guess.

I can only speak for myself...But Mark was a nationally recognized player that was badly wanted here but chose a different school, J. R. was also a nationally recognized player that turned down Vanderbilt and other schools to come to Marshall. If I can to sum up this question of "fascination" as you put it, I'd say it about loyality.
Dont give a damn about their playing status. Are they the best coach for the job? Loyalty should have nothing to do with it if there are better qualified coaches available and wanting the job. Loyalty got us Dan.

We could tarp off more seats. Perhaps if the pot bill passes the legislature, we could salt a fake news story that all the pot smokers make it unsafe to use but the first five rows, just like the salted fake story about beer and the upper deck. Because that is all we will be drawing after a few more years of this token effort.
roommates kiss GIF by El Corte Inglés

FUTURE KISS CAM IN THE CAM!!

• Haha
Oh yeah, his Dad coached for years well up in age. Another similarity to Danny is that his DAD didn't win that many Big (State) Championships!! Believe Mullens won it all in 1955 when they had Willie Akers as a start player (center).

As for Danny, does ANYONE know just exactly how many State Championship Trophies he walked away with down in South Carolina after 30 or more years as a head coach, IIRC?

Maybe, just maybe, Danny's tour as MU HEAD Coach is just reflecting what has happened before when it comes to winning "The Big One, or Ones"!!! In decades, and hundreds, maybe thousands of games, as head coaches, just how many of the "Big Ones", NBA Championships, College Conference Championships, High School State Championships, have Danny, Mike and their Dad actually won?

So I guess in blowing another opportunity to come up with a Championship for the HERD, Danny D'Antoni wasn't doing anything else but carrying on what is, as Hank Williams, Jr., described in a song, "A Family Tradition"!!!

Dont give a damn about their playing status. Are they the best coach for the job? Loyalty should have nothing to do with it if there are better qualified coaches available and wanting the job. Loyalty got us Dan.

I don't really know enough about what Cline's duties are to comment.

Oh yeah, his Dad coached for years well up in age. Another similarity to Danny is that his DAD didn't win that many Big (State) Championships!! Believe Mullens won it all in 1955 when they had Willie Akers as a start player (center).

As for Danny, does ANYONE know just exactly how many State Championship Trophies he walked away with down in South Carolina after 30 or more years as a head coach, IIRC?

Maybe, just maybe, Danny's tour as MU HEAD Coach is just reflecting what has happened before when it comes to winning "The Big One, or Ones"!!! In decades, and hundreds, maybe thousands of games, as head coaches, just how many of the "Big Ones", NBA Championships, College Conference Championships, High School State Championships, have Danny, Mike and their Dad actually won?

So I guess in blowing another opportunity to come up with a Championship for the HERD, Danny D'Antoni wasn't doing anything else but carrying on what is, as Hank Williams, Jr., described in a song, "A Family Tradition"!!!
As I said, Mullens was one of the toughest places to play back in the day, outside of maybe Northfork. Greg White was their point guard in '76-'77. Gym was always packed before the JV game even started.

The Mullens High School Rebels were one of the top teams in Class AA and A until their consolidation in 1998. Between the two classifications, the Rebels claimed six titles from 1970-1998, including winning three consecutive titles from 1982-1984.

Mark Cline was a HS star at Williamson, he ended up going to Wake but waited until the last moment hoping UK would offer, he never visited Marshall as it was beneath him.
Cline actually lived on the other side of the Tug Fork, should have gone to Belfry. Dad was a rich coal guy and actually paid tuition so he could go to Williamson, where the dad had control of the coach, and the team had more of a chance (Kentucky is a single class deal for basketball). He was indeed holding out for a UK offer, but the spin cover was that he was torn between USPAM (back then USPAM was in the lowly Atlantic 10 1.0, a joke single bid conference) and Wake Forest. USPAM was never on the table, but the Spamite idiots fell for it hook line and sinker. A whole section of idiots showed up at the state tournament in blue and yellow "Cline" jerseys. He, indeed, never even took a visit to Marshall, which was insulting. In the end UK never called and he did OK at Wake Forest.

Ceredo-Kenova had a home game with them and moved it to the Henderson Center and drew more than 6K.

Anyway, hard pass. Guy is 59 and has spent a decade with DD. We need people that have no association with this failed regime.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Cline actually lived on the other side of the Tug Fork, should have gone to Belfry. Dad was a rich coal guy and actually paid tuition so he could go to Williamson, where the dad had control of the coach, and the team had more of a chance (Kentucky is a single class deal for basketball). He was indeed holding out for a UK offer, but the spin cover was that he was torn between USPAM (back then USPAM was in the lowly Atlantic 10 1.0, a joke single bid conference) and Wake Forest. USPAM was never on the table, but the Spamite idiots fell for it hook line and sinker. A whole section of idiots showed up at the state tournament in blue and yellow "Cline" jerseys. He, indeed, never even took a visit to Marshall, which was insulting. In the end UK never called and he did OK at Wake Forest.

Ceredo-Kenova had a home game with them and moved it to the Henderson Center and drew more than 6K.

Anyway, hard pass. Guy is 59 and has spent a decade with DD. We need people that have no association with this failed regime.
100% agree, we need a blood transfusion! We certainly don't need a guy that was too good to play at MU!

What's interesting is (and I said this in another thread but more direct to your post), MU and Dan are at a level where coaching actually matters more than anything.
I always said Mid-Majors have some amazing coaches, because they never get the talent the Power programs get, who can sort of coast and be half as skilled using X's and O's.
Dan actually, however, had a good roster, as stated, you have that kind of talent and can't make ANY progress?!?

It really, in the end, falls squarely on Dan.
Good recruiter but bad coach = mid major (see Doc H). Good coach but bad recruiter = mid major. Good both = getting a job somewhere bigger at some point.

Point being, can we do better than DD? If so, do they leave and we start over? The pro and cons arent always black and white.

yes Hard pass and another piece of info is Cline's father was also a Wake Forest guy

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT