ADVERTISEMENT

Like it or not, SamC was right once again

Mark Cline was a HS star at Williamson, he ended up going to Wake but waited until the last moment hoping UK would offer, he never visited Marshall as it was beneath him. Wake is a fine school and certainly he had every right to do what he thought was best for himself but I'd rather have guy like J.R. Vanhoose on the bench. A guy who is a son of Marshall that could have gone other places as well but chose us!
Why would he visit Marshall if he was going to Wake? Is that one of those things where we feel offended because we aren't recognized by someone in state so all of the sudden we hold a lifelong grudge?

Last edited:
Dont give a damn about their playing status. Are they the best coach for the job? Loyalty should have nothing to do with it if there are better qualified coaches available and wanting the job. Loyalty got us Dan.
No putting all our eggs in the Mike D'Antoni basket got us Dan. Loyalty/politics is what's kept Dan here going on 10 seasons.

Good recruiter but bad coach = mid major (see Doc H). Good coach but bad recruiter = mid major. Good both = getting a job somewhere bigger at some point.

Point being, can we do better than DD? If so, do they leave and we start over? The pro and cons arent always black and white.
You can't make decisions based on fear. You can always do worse and you can always do better. It all comes down on who is making the decision and what criteria they are using to pick a coach. People need to stop acting like we're some broke school that can't attract decent coaches. We may not be able to keep them long, but we can find some. I mean we did once have Billy Donovan as our HC. Didn't last long, but we were able to hire him didn't we?

The truth is our MBB program is a token effort and a large majority of the fan base just accepts anything and everything they are given.

The next hire may end up being worse, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't move on from Dan and try. What exactly are we so afraid to lose? One championship in 9 seasons surrounded by empty seasons with late collapses and no major wins.

You can't make decisions based on fear. You can always do worse and you can always do better. It all comes down on who is making the decision and what criteria they are using to pick a coach. People need to stop acting like we're some broke school that can't attract decent coaches. We may not be able to keep them long, but we can find some. I mean we did once have Billy Donovan as our HC. Didn't last long, but we were able to hire him didn't we?

The truth is our MBB program is a token effort and a large majority of the fan base just accepts anything and everything they are given.

The next hire may end up being worse, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't move on from Dan and try. What exactly are we so afraid to lose? One championship in 9 seasons surrounded by empty seasons with late collapses and no major wins.
I am ok moving on from Dan. Problem I see is if we did end up getting a great coach and recruiter, that ends up moving on, then the butthurt is unbearable. Like somehow we hired that coach and therefore they owe it to us to be all Herd all Huntington for life. That's how some of our fans are and it wears me out.

In other words, there are people who like Dan and want to keep him for the fact that he is a "name" and he is all about the Herd. To some, that is more important than winning games. It's the same group of people who get off on ESPN mentioning Huntington more than they care about winning the game.

I would rather find a coach who is young and connected to the AAU scene whos going to pull in guys who can make a run at SBC titles for the next 3-4 years and if he moves on then he moves on. But at least we have those season. Basketball is more feasible to accomplish those short runs than football.

Reactions: herdinmichigan
If we were to go after a new coach, I'd like to see this guy in the mix.
Why would a coach move down from the Horizon League to the SBC?

NKU is a growing urban university with a good fanbase in a metro area that is holding its own and actually growing, especially in the area of metro Cincinnati NKU serves. It has a 9K seat arena (no tarps). It is the Horizon League, which is a superior league to the SBC and NKU is a basketball focused athletic program (no football).

And the guy is making $400K/year.

First, DD is going nowhere, but if he did, we certainly will not be getting a head coach from a DI school.

This is a token effort.

NKU is a growing urban university with a good fanbase in a metro area that is holding its own and actually growing, especially in the area of metro Cincinnati NKU serves. It has a 9K seat arena (no tarps). It is the Horizon League, which is a superior league to the SBC and NKU is a basketball focused athletic program (no football).

First, DD is going nowhere, but if he did, we certainly will not be getting a head coach from a DI school.

This is a token effort.
Move down? lol SBC is 7-10 spots higher ranked than the Horizon depending on which poll you look at.
400K? Well, if the reports posted are correct. DD makes $667K per year. That's almost $300K raise. Might not be the real sam c kind of dough, but most folks might take that pay raise. I'd at least make a "token" effort to place a call...

This is a token effort.
Exactly... I never thought it would come to this, but there are people in here actually defending the historical value of the SBC in basketball. The MAC is clearly a better conference in basketball. So is the Horizon. Is the SBC stronger on occasion? Of course. NKU has been on the rise for quite some time. Marshall has as well, in football. 😃

Reactions: The Real SamC
If we were to go after a new coach, I'd like to see this guy in the mix.
Horn is not leaving NKU for Marshall. He is trying to get back to the big boy conferences,, dude was an SEC head coach, NKU is his career rehab job, he's not taking a lateral.

It's going to have to be a low-level up and comer or a recently fired rehabber.

Exactly... I never thought it would come to this, but there are people in here actually defending the historical value of the SBC in basketball. The MAC is clearly a better conference in basketball. So is the Horizon. Is the SBC stronger on occasion? Of course. NKU has been on the rise for quite some time. Marshall has as well, in football. 😃
The mighty MAC is ranked 5 spots lower than the SBC this year and a whole 2 spots higher than the Horizon. :D

Horn is not leaving NKU for Marshall. He is trying to get back to the big boy conferences,, dude was an SEC head coach, NKU is his career rehab job, he's not taking a lateral.

It's going to have to be a low-level up and comer or a recently fired rehabber.
you're probably 100% correct, but never hurts to make a token phone call

Good recruiter but bad coach = mid major (see Doc H). Good coach but bad recruiter = mid major. Good both = getting a job somewhere bigger at some point.

Point being, can we do better than DD? If so, do they leave and we start over? The pro and cons arent always black and white.

In his 3rd season, Dan had MU in the finals of the CUSA tournament.

For comparison, Nady Enfield took FGCU to the Sweet 16 in season 2.

It can be done, relatively quickly.

Given the lack of standards as an excuse to keep Dan and tout his success as some kind of massive historical set of events (sort of, it's literally standard to win a conference title), MU can afford a few years of rebuilding.

I am ok moving on from Dan. Problem I see is if we did end up getting a great coach and recruiter, that ends up moving on, then the butthurt is unbearable. Like somehow we hired that coach and therefore they owe it to us to be all Herd all Huntington for life. That's how some of our fans are and it wears me out.

In other words, there are people who like Dan and want to keep him for the fact that he is a "name" and he is all about the Herd. To some, that is more important than winning games. It's the same group of people who get off on ESPN mentioning Huntington more than they care about winning the game.

I would rather find a coach who is young and connected to the AAU scene whos going to pull in guys who can make a run at SBC titles for the next 3-4 years and if he moves on then he moves on. But at least we have those season. Basketball is more feasible to accomplish those short runs than football.

You left out that many fans expect the young HC to move on when they are hired...

Then get mad and offended when he does.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

This is a token effort.

I wouldn't mind getting a HC from a D2 school or just a lower tier of D1.

Worked out in soccer, right?

MU would be seen as an upgrade and said HC would have proven he could win at the lower level. Everything is better, more financial resources (by comparison to what he was used to before), and access to good talent...along with his good knowledge of coaching (given the lower tier, doesn't have as many great players), you have a very good combo for potential success.

Reactions: Jartard
In his 3rd season, Dan had MU in the finals of the CUSA tournament.

For comparison, Nady Enfield took FGCU to the Sweet 16 in season 2.

It can be done, relatively quickly.

Given the lack of standards as an excuse to keep Dan and tout his success as some kind of massive historical set of events (sort of, it's literally standard to win a conference title), MU can afford a few years of rebuilding.
Agreed

The mighty MAC is ranked 5 spots lower than the SBC this year and a whole 2 spots higher than the Horizon. :D
Yes, as my post states, I know there are anomaly years... but in general- Buffalo, Ohio, Kent State are simply better than any basketball program in the SBC

No use for argument. Dan is and will our coach next year and probably beyond.
When do you think this will be confirmed?

Anyone else wouldn't have had a plane ticket home.

I was talking to someone today who is connected to the staff and he said there is no concern that any changes are going to be made. Everyone fully expects to remain at their position.

I was talking to someone today who is connected to the staff and he said there is no concern that any changes are going to be made. Everyone fully expects to remain at their position.
Of course. Only thing I do hope AD Spears intervened in the OOC scheduling and gets us some better opponents at home.

Of course.

- This is a token effort.

- Mediocrity is acceptable here.

- Once, from 4th place, we got on an 8 day hot streak, it might happen again someday.

- THE price of getting this job for CS was understanding that DD, and then his chosen successor, gets to stay here for as long as they want. When you sell your soul for a job, your soul is sold and can never be redeemed.

- MU could finish 3rd or 9th next year, win 20 or lose 20, lose in a SBC play in game, or lose in the SBC finals. It does not matter. DD will be here as long as he wants to be, and will choose his successor. That is what CS signed on to.

And what does the sports world think of the vomit SBC.

Well the TV ratings are in. 0.14. Which is 209K people. Beaten not only by the SoCon final on the other ESPN channel at the same time, but by a women's game on Fox Sports One. The conference finals that got a lower TV rating than the vomit SBC?

The Northeast Conference and the Big Sky Conference (which plays after bedtime for most people). That's it. THAT is what the sports world thinks about the vomit SBC.

And we can't dominate THIS?

No troll @The Real SamC. I too am curious as to how you know for certain that Spears was told he had to keep Dan if he wanted the job.

Sam doesn’t know anymore than any of us. He’s like a politician, he comes in and screams loudly and people think wow he must know what he’s talking about. The number of ridiculous statements that have been proven over and over again to be false that he has made is too many to count.

There is not a chance that Spears would have taken the job under that caveat. Also the biggest reason that Dan was kept last year and is coming back next year is because he’s still popular with the majority of fans. We averaged over 5K per game at home. The majority of people on this board and Herdfans are the exception with the anti Dan rhetoric. Go back to the end of Jirsa and Herrion tenures to see what Herd fans thought of them. Some of the games looked like it was just parents and girlfriends in attendance.

To be honest I don’t understand the love affair with Dan other than he is a HOF player 50 years ago. I can’t believe he’s coming back for another year. I think his game day coaching is awful. His recruiting is also mediocre. The majority of our team since he’s been here has not been DI talent but he has been saved by having some all timers on the roster with the rest being NAIA players. I also get sick of seeing our teams we put on the floor looking like sticks. Even Kinsey who played 5 years isn’t much bigger than he was as a freshman and honestly the difference is more age than strength and conditioning.

But all that being said as long as he has the majority of fans supporting him he isn’t going anywhere. If Marshall averages over 5K in attendance. Also going into the last game of the regular season with a good shot to win the SBC championship, no kids in the police blotter. He will leave when he chooses to leave. It will have nothing to do with his sister or Spears agreeing to something stupid before taking the job.

So basically you have to decide what you want to do. Support the program because it’s Marshall or don’t go to games, don’t donate because you want to send a message to the AD. Because that is the only thing that will be the catalyst for change. As for me I’ll continue to watch Marshall no matter who the coach is but I’ll still gripe if I don’t like it.

No troll @The Real SamC. I too am curious as to how you know for certain that Spears was told he had to keep Dan if he wanted the job.
If you go to a chicken fight and somebody enters a duck, and the duck wins, you didn't have to be at the meeting to know the mob is running things and the fix was in.

There are 135 I-A AD jobs, of which about 100 are ones you would actually want. MU is one of them. Set for life money, power, chance to hit the big time and really cash in.

So is CS a smart person? Seems to be.

Would any smart person actually think that DD is the answer? No, no smart person would employ DD in any capacity.

But CS employs DD. Therefore we much infer some reason. The only thing that comes to mind is the fact that given DD's political power, he was informed that this was the cost of getting this very rare life changing job. Perhaps others refused to make that bargain. Don't know. CS can run football, soccer, baseball, etc. And let DD muddle about at basketball. By the time DD, and then his chosen successor, are gone, CS assumes he will have moved on to the a P5 level job.

This is a token effort.

If you go to a chicken fight and somebody enters a duck, and the duck wins, you didn't have to be at the meeting to know the mob is running things and the fix was in.

There are 135 I-A AD jobs, of which about 100 are ones you would actually want. MU is one of them. Set for life money, power, chance to hit the big time and really cash in.

So is CS a smart person? Seems to be.

Would any smart person actually think that DD is the answer? No, no smart person would employ DD in any capacity.

But CS employs DD. Therefore we much infer some reason. The only thing that comes to mind is the fact that given DD's political power, he was informed that this was the cost of getting this very rare life changing job. Perhaps others refused to make that bargain. Don't know. CS can run football, soccer, baseball, etc. And let DD muddle about at basketball. By the time DD, and then his chosen successor, are gone, CS assumes he will have moved on to the a P5 level job.

This is a token effort.
So, you were not, in fact, present during Smith’s interview with Spears?
Huh. Me thinks you are full of bull shit.

Then, please, by all means, enlighten us on exactly why CS continues to employ DD and is apparently, about to make him one of the, what, 20 highest paid state employees for three more years of this.

The only other explanation besides the fix being in is that CS is so incompetent that he ACTUALLY BELIEVES DD is the person that should be coaching this team. No one in a position CS has risen to is that stupid.

Therefore the simple explanation is the correct one.

The fix is in.

This is a token effort.

Then, please, by all means, enlighten us on exactly why CS continues to employ DD and is apparently, about to make him one of the, what, 20 highest paid state employees for three more years of this.

The only other explanation besides the fix being in is that CS is so incompetent that he ACTUALLY BELIEVES DD is the person that should be coaching this team. No one in a position CS has risen to is that stupid.

Therefore the simple explanation is the correct one.

The fix is in.

This is a token effort.
It's mostly conjecture, but you can connect the dots. Spears really doesn't have the pull. Dan has been stacking the deck in his favor for several years. According to another poster we can't fire Dan because it will lose out on the D'Antoni money and people that donate because of them and we also force Cline on everyone because of coal money.

Then you have Dan's sister on the BoG along with one of his buddies, then he has Brad Smith and Governor Justice in his pocket as well.

I don't care what others have said about Spears not wanting to step on anyone's toes last year. ADs come and make coaching changes right off the bat all the time. They bring in "their guys". You had a 75 year old coach who just posted one of his worst records as a head coach and his deal had expired. Yet he got to keep his job.

I have a friend that has had conversations with Brad Smith and Smith is a pretty big fan of Dans.

…..as in the firing & hiring for the baseball team?
It was the Manager who's not an alum, sister not on the bog, brother didn't campaign for money. I get what you're saying, but Ray Charles can see the difference. And I would be ecstatic with a change. As someone said, we're being held hostage, in a way, from doing anything.

Reactions: MUMAN3419
….at least Middle Tennessee St U made it official with Coach Stockstill. I bet their fans are so happy he has a lifetime contract in writing! 🤦‍♂️

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT