ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall to Sun Belt with JMU, ODU and Southern Miss?

Not to mention CUSA's tendency to show little support for us when we have been ranked. The conference always seemed to wish it were happening to someone else.

I do agree with the benefits of being on ESPN like the old days, but didn't we owe some of that to Dan Shoemaker? Either way, ESPN does tend to give more hype to teams in conferences which have tv contacts with them. CUSA has been abysmal with tv coverage through the years. I remember when games were just a video feed with radio commentary from Steve Cotton.
Yes Judy and CUSA seem to go out of their way not to promote us when we finally do reach the top of this conference.

In regards to Appy's case. They obviously have a solid football program but are they known for being top notch in any other sport? What about academics, what is their classification and rank? Being in Boone is a challenge for them as well. Like us being in Recovery City.

I see App St. getting an AAC invite over Marshall.
To the extent that you buy the lie that “Appy State = Charlotte”, then Appy certainly fits the Big Lie that the AAC tells everyone dumb enough to listen to it, which is that being in a place is the same as being important in a place.

I love how everyone here is stuck on Appalachian State as our savior. 20K students, Town of 20K in the middle of the woods. 30K seat stadium. No history before last Tuesday.

To the extent that you buy the lie that “Appy State = Charlotte”, then Appy certainly fits the Big Lie that the AAC tells everyone dumb enough to listen to it, which is that being in a place is the same as being important in a place.

I love how everyone here is stuck on Appalachian State as our savior. 20K students, Town of 20K in the middle of the woods. 30K seat stadium. No history before last Tuesday.
Well mighty Charlotte, the program some of our fans have a hard on for; had a whopping 12K plus in the stands for their game this past Saturday against Gardner Webb.

Well mighty Charlotte, the program some of our fans have a hard on for; had a whopping 12K plus in the stands for their game this past Saturday against Gardner Webb.
And?

The premise of the CUSA haters here is that the SBC is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO superior because of a year and two weeks of football we should upend our whole system for half a decade and spend $7M we don’t have to be counted among the nightly likes of Georgia State, South Alabama, and Troy State.

And, that done, then maybe some MACer or, and yes it will happen, a CUSA member gets to be the “little engine that could” for a year or two. And the haters will be here wanting in that league.

Fact is all of the G6 leagues are about the same in the new mix. Big 12 3.0 has slightly larger schools, MWC mostly gets out of the shadow of the P4 leagues. Other than that, one is the same as the next, and Appy State or Coastal Carolina will be footnotes in a year or two, the world having moved on to whoever has a few lucky years next.

Reactions: greengeezer
I've read three articles today on AAC expansion, we didn't get a sniff in any of them. UAB and Appy did. As much as I want the AAC, my best hope seems to be going to the SB with App St. (they stay) and others - making it a solid league tied to ESPN. Staying in a watered down CUSA after the AAC and SB have made their choices will be the death of Marshall sports and the fan base.

Can you give me a link to those articles?

I love how everyone here is stuck on Appalachian State as our savior. 20K students, Town of 20K in the middle of the woods. 30K seat stadium. No history before last Tuesday
You need to link us to where everyone is suggesting Appy is "our savior". Again. I'm not reading it that way. There is no "savior" for any conference we are going to be party to. As a G5, we will always be looking for the crumbs left behind by the big timers. However, to deny that App is getting more attention nationally than any of the so called remaining AAC teams post realignment in this conversation is ridiculous. IMO they also fit into a new AAC conference alignment and with their current attention, I wouldn't be surprised if they are included in that discussion.

No history
Now we can talk about Charlotte.

Reactions: Jartard
And?

The premise of the CUSA haters here is that the SBC is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO superior because of a year and two weeks of football we should upend our whole system for half a decade and spend $7M we don’t have to be counted among the nightly likes of Georgia State, South Alabama, and Troy State.

And, that done, then maybe some MACer or, and yes it will happen, a CUSA member gets to be the “little engine that could” for a year or two. And the haters will be here wanting in that league.

Fact is all of the G6 leagues are about the same in the new mix. Big 12 3.0 has slightly larger schools, MWC mostly gets out of the shadow of the P4 leagues. Other than that, one is the same as the next, and Appy State or Coastal Carolina will be footnotes in a year or two, the world having moved on to whoever has a few lucky years next.
Just saying I can understand why some of our super fans want to be in a league with Charlotte. They have so much potential. 12K clearly shows that.

Agreed, but I hope they don't get an AAC invite at all. If we move to SB, Appy State is a big part of the attraction for me right now.
I agree. I just think Appy would be considered for the AAC's new alignment and would be surprised if they wouldn't prefer an AAC spot over a SB spot.

Appy State doesn't have any history? What are you talking about? They were a perennial power in I-A and looking much like the 97-98 Thundering Herd at the moment. Plus, they're a good school to rekindle a rivalry.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Appy State doesn't have any history? What are you talking about? They were a perennial power in I-A and looking much like the 97-98 Thundering Herd at the moment. Plus, they're a good school to rekindle a rivalry.
What it really comes down to for me, would be . . . Would you rather have a beer in the mountains of Boone, NC, or take your chance getting murdered while attempting to walk through a parking lot to a game in Philadelphia?

Appy is easily twice as big a university as they were in the SoCon days. They have over 20k students now and Boone is booming. I was up there recently and it ain't hard to get to from Charlotte or Asheville.

Acting like Boone is Elkins or something is asinine.
And based on what I witnessed in the Joan this past weekend. A much more dedicated football fan base......

• Haha
Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Well mighty Charlotte, the program some of our fans have a hard on for; had a whopping 12K plus in the stands for their game this past Saturday against Gardner Webb

What it really comes down to for me, would be . . . Would you rather have a beer in the mountains of Boone, NC, or take your chance getting murdered while attempting to walk through a parking lot to a game in Philadelphia?
Not to mention, most MU fans in the South will make that trip to Boone. Not many would travel to Philly, IMO.

Some of you guys are under the misconception that we are Alabama-light and we are about to be grouped into a high school league.

With all the nonsense that is going on in this round of realignment, here is where we are...
1. Wait on and hope for an AAC invite
2. If that doesn't happen -- Find a conference where winning on the football field matters more than TV sets (whether its SBC, or some new league)
3. Try to cut costs/eliminate cross country travel and find a league with stable membership

We are much closer to App State, JMU, Coastal Carolina, etc in terms of profile than we are P5 schools.

In a perfect world, the AAC leftovers, CUSA's five schools that actually care about football, the Sun Belt East Division and Liberty would get together and work something out to have the best "non-P5" league possible. But let's be honest, it aint going to happen, so if the options are staying in CUSA without UAB (assuming they are gone to the AAC) or moving to the Sun Belt with a couple of our current conference mates, that is a decision that our people in charge need to make with the above criteria in mind.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I hope not. Our first thought has to be to do all we can to get in the AAC. IMO it all comes down to how many schools the AAC wants to be. At 12 we have very little chance, If they go to 14 or more we have a great chance
MU would be significantly lower in terms of funding for its AD.
ECU is some $20 million ahead of us and they suck.
What makes you think MU can compete with that?
Also, lets not get ahead of ourselves thinking more fans would show up for Temple than Charlotte.
Minus the top 3 (who are leaving) the AAC doesn't really have anyone that'd drive fan interest. Memphis, maybe? Their time in the spotlight has faded somewhat.

We have been reading proposed conferences on these pages for decades, almost always including I-AA JMU. MEMO: JMU is I-AA. JMU is I-AA because it has never had the balls to step up and join the big leagues. Until it does, its just hot air.
No, it's because people speculated JMU would have tried to join the AAC, which even to their fans was a laughable set of wishful thinking as it was the top G5 conference at the time.
The Sun Belt is more realistic for them.

My office computer will not allow outside links Sherlock. Geez. Go find them yourself. Idiot.

Do you like stalking others posts? Creepy.

No, I'm just asking a simple question. Do you think UAB rolls?

So the "Office" computer won't let you see outside links, but... " I've read three articles today on AAC expansion, we didn't get a sniff in any of them." ?

BS'er!

So the "Office" computer won't let you see outside links, but... " I've read three articles today on AAC expansion, we didn't get a sniff in any of them." ?

BS'er!
Sometimes Johns, you post things out of sarcasm, to pull some chains. To see who takes the bait. Wasn't expecting it to be one of our own. I've always liked the Nick Saban approach, flatter your opponent and then kill them.

As for the office computer, it's called IT security. Some companies have that. Mom's basement, not so much. Is it that hard for you to Google it? LOL!

I wish I had said that.
But you did say this about Marshall after Doc's exit......

The Real SamC said:
The next 11 years will see at least 3 head coaches, each more of a settlement for than the previous. The idea of any championships seems pretty much a pipedream

Then again you said the same thing about a directional florida school coached by Kiffin; only to end up with more CUSA titles in 3 years than our previous had in 10.

No one really "listens" to you Sammy.

I think we have dodged a major bullet not jumping to the AAC before now. Moving to the SB makes sense on so many levels that I am sure we will say "NO" if offered! It's the Marshall Way. What is our exit fee if we jump ship?

It really doesn’t matter what league we play in. If we can only get around 25,000 in attendance for a season opening game with an undefeated team and a new coach, we might as well join the Patriot Conference.
Do they play football?

But you did say this about Marshall after Doc's exit......

The Real SamC said:
The next 11 years will see at least 3 head coaches, each more of a settlement for than the previous. The idea of any championships seems pretty much a pipedream
No one really "listens" to you Sammy.
You apparently do. But, yes, this spoiled rotten fanbase will certainly sour on Huff in the near future. He will leave in total frustration with a fan base that cannot appreciate winning, and then the next guy will settle for the job, because it will be a job, until he realizes the same thing, and so on. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Until the rotten Superfans understand that THIS is where we are RIGHT NOW and that to appreciate MU FOOTBALL is to respect it, and those it plays, we are doomed.

It really doesn’t matter what league we play in. If we can only get around 25,000 in attendance for a season opening game with an undefeated team and a new coach, we might as well join the Patriot Conference.
Do they play football?
We only averaged 28K plus for the greatest team in Marshall history (99). Huntington had 20K more residents at the time as well. Let's hope for 30K for ECU.

And?

Goddamn Sam,

Are you implying Marshall does nothing at this point? They just sit around and hope to weather the storm of everyone else being proactive (during a time of when that's crucial), where even a team in Myrtle Beach can emerge?

This is coming from CUSA, where it gets absolutely zero respect or national attention, is geographically frustrating, and is currently commissioned by a moron.

I'm just trying to follow your logic if I'm reading your posts correctly,

MU should stay where they are?

BS'er!
Since you obviously can't do it - look for AAC expansion articles from -

Fan Nation
Underdog Dynasty
CBS Sports
SB Nation

I know that's 4, but wanted to make sure you're satisfied.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT