ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall to Sun Belt with JMU, ODU and Southern Miss?

Lets put it this way,

How does it look for MU and the fanbase, seeing a conference who didn't invite MU the first time, lose its top programs, and invite MU to fill in for them, with a likely dip in TV revenue because the value isn't there.
Only to be playing with teams that the fans constantly bashed and made every excuse to not show up for in the bowl games, what makes you think they'd show up for a conference game?!

Versus...

A conference that (likely) isn't losing anyone, and is expanding to further add value to its product. MU wouldn't be a filler, they'd be an addition, and that is a HUGE difference in perception of the program itself.

How does it look for MU and the fanbase, seeing a conference who didn't invite MU the first time, lose its top programs, and invite MU to fill in for them, with a likely dip in TV revenue because the value isn't there.
Well, if you really want to see how it looked, scroll back to 2005, which is the year Marshall joined up with many of these same teams, after being passed over previously. Back then it was C-USA. Now, they changed dresses, and refer to themselves as the AAC. Surely the Herd wouldn't fall for this twice, right?

And?

The premise of the CUSA haters here is that the SBC is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO superior because of a year and two weeks of football we should upend our whole system for half a decade and spend $7M we don’t have to be counted among the nightly likes of Georgia State, South Alabama, and Troy State.

And, that done, then maybe some MACer or, and yes it will happen, a CUSA member gets to be the “little engine that could” for a year or two. And the haters will be here wanting in that league.

Fact is all of the G6 leagues are about the same in the new mix. Big 12 3.0 has slightly larger schools, MWC mostly gets out of the shadow of the P4 leagues. Other than that, one is the same as the next, and Appy State or Coastal Carolina will be footnotes in a year or two, the world having moved on to whoever has a few lucky years next.
Correct. Then it comes down to money. And the AAC has a 1 BILLION dollar deal with ESPN for a lot more years!!!!

I'm just trying to follow your logic

NOV19-We-Are-Laughing-Eyman.gif

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
Well, if you really want to see how it looked, scroll back to 2005, which is the year Marshall joined up with many of these same teams, after being passed over previously. Back then it was C-USA. Now, they changed dresses, and refer to themselves as the AAC. Surely the Herd wouldn't fall for this twice, right?
As I recall we were going to be invited to CUSA back then for football only, but we could not find a home for all the other sports that satisfied our coaches. Especially Greg White.

Say we do bolt for another league? Who is paying the exit fee?
I seem to remember that some big donor helped bail us out when we left the MAC for CUSA.
Considering we have an unfunded baseball stadium and the Joan needs a facelift, who can we count on this time to pony up millions for yet another move?

To the extent that you buy the lie that “Appy State = Charlotte”, then Appy certainly fits the Big Lie that the AAC tells everyone dumb enough to listen to it, which is that being in a place is the same as being important in a place.

I love how everyone here is stuck on Appalachian State as our savior. 20K students, Town of 20K in the middle of the woods. 30K seat stadium. No history before last Tuesday.
Didn’t they win like 3 national champs in a row?

I rarely peruse other team or league boards by the SB board seems very favorable to welcoming us as a member.

Their big concern is losing Appy.

Only Appalachian State and Marshall fans think adding them will make AAC better.
What's left of the AAC? Who are programs they can add to make it better? Their best programs just left. Look I would take the AAC over the Sunbelt for sure. But I waa just saying who do they have left and do they add?

As for CUSA I think it is basically dead.

Say we do bolt for another league? Who is paying the exit fee?
I seem to remember that some big donor helped bail us out when we left the MAC for CUSA.
Considering we have an unfunded baseball stadium and the Joan needs a facelift, who can we count on this time to pony up millions for yet another move?
Clearly not your depressed self.

Goddamn Sam,

Are you implying Marshall does nothing at this point? They just sit around and hope to weather the storm of everyone else being proactive (during a time of when that's crucial), where even a team in Myrtle Beach can emerge?

This is coming from CUSA, where it gets absolutely zero respect or national attention, is geographically frustrating, and is currently commissioned by a moron.

I'm just trying to follow your logic if I'm reading your posts correctly,

MU should stay where they are?
You, and the other rotten super fans, were down on OUR conference long before Texas and Oklahoma admitted that the BIg 2, Little 8 experiment had failed and kicked the Leftover Little 8 to the curb, setting off this latest round.

Long before.

Fact is you consider every conference team we play to be “lesser than” and thus an automatic win. You will do the same in SBC 2.0 if we are there and the same in AAC 2.0 (Big East 5.0). You post constantly about the ESPN bowls (and never respond when it is pointed out that the other leagues have virtually the same list). You are a rotten super fan, expecting to win every game, and thinking it is not a big deal to have done so.

Your kind kills programs.

As for CUSA I think it is basically dead.
Bingo my friend... I don't know what our options are currently regarding the AAC, Sun Belt, some new Franken-Conference, etc. But one thing is becoming more clear as we all move forward. CUSA, already the worst football league in FBS, is walking to the gallows.

The only teams with any recent history of football success, Marshall, La Tech and UAB (the past two seasons) are all shopping themselves to other leagues... Throw in ODU, Charlotte and So. Miss potentially hitting the road and the rest of CUSA is a FCS league.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I've heard there's some Herd fans that even dislike members of their own fanbase, to the point of starting multiple brawls at games. Have to wonder if vitriol creates interest under that scenario.
Must have been a full moon on Saturday. One "lots of yelling" down in front of us and another "few punches" thrown behind us a bit. Not sure what started either. In the chairbacks.......

I really can't believe it, but the last time we were in Boone was 25 years ago when Kresser & Moss hooked up on a skinny post to put a knife in the heart of Yosef & Co. It really is an intense rivalry, and that trip up the mountain next week is going to be epic!! Go Herd!

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Must have been a full moon on Saturday. One "lots of yelling" down in front of us and another "few punches" thrown behind us a bit. Not sure what started either. In the chairbacks.......
I call it “COVID Madness. “ I’ve noticed people tend to be a little edgy now days. Probably because they have experienced so much social distancing that they have forgotten how to act in a crowd.

Some dipshit behind us in 105 kept throwing F bombs all over the place with his own grandson and and other kids within earshot. I am no angel in that regard, but I was ready to tell the dude STHU. Thankfully he left at halftime.

I call it “COVID Madness. “ I’ve noticed people tend to be a little edgy now days. Probably because they have experienced so much social distancing that they have forgotten how to act in a crowd.
When I was 10 my dad got us tickets to see the Jets and Colts in Indianapolis, my first NFL game... My grandpa was a die-hard Jets fan, so he bought me a Jets sweatshirt and hat to wear to the game (remember I'm 10 years old)... Both teams were bad that year, but the Jets won on a late touchdown. As we are walking down the ramps to leave the stadium some drunk prick comes up from behind and starts screaming obscenities at me and threatens to beat up my dad because I had a Jets hat on. A security guy standing at the next ramp switchback had to intervene and grab the guy.

Moral of the story, there has always been an asshole in every crowd, and adding alcohol makes some of them even bigger d-bags.

Total guess based on past experience: Someone sitting on their ass the whole game got upset that another was standing up in front of them (cheering) and blocking their view.

Total guess based on past experience: Someone sitting on their ass the whole game got upset that another was standing up in front of them (cheering) and blocking their view.
When we had tix in 110, Row 32. I would have people shush me, tell me to sit down and get dirty looks because I would get up and cheer, thunderclap, etc. Crazy!

Lot of work there.

Put some work into disproving the basic truth that:

CUSA was founded by a set of schools that would have never been in conference together but for one simple issue. They all wanted to play football at this level. None are not trying. None are “gimmie” wins. All are here because they wish to be here.

Those schools brought with them their basketball programs (and everything else) at whatever level these were at. VASTLY different levels of history, commitment, ability and just plain old interest in basketball. League is thus chock full of what should be automatic wins for the minority of the league (which certainly includes Marshall) that has the desire and ability to win at basketball.

You can’t. Because what I say is true. So make up another meme. It is easier than thinking

Some dipshit behind us in 105 kept throwing F bombs all over the place with his own grandson and and other kids within earshot. I am no angel in that regard, but I was ready to tell the dude STHU. Thankfully he left at halftime.
There's a fat dude in my section that just eats beers and throws F-bombs and GD's all day long.

When I was 10 my dad got us tickets to see the Jets and Colts in Indianapolis, my first NFL game... My grandpa was a die-hard Jets fan, so he bought me a Jets sweatshirt and hat to wear to the game (remember I'm 10 years old)... Both teams were bad that year, but the Jets won on a late touchdown. As we are walking down the ramps to leave the stadium some drunk prick comes up from behind and starts screaming obscenities at me and threatens to beat up my dad because I had a Jets hat on. A security guy standing at the next ramp switchback had to intervene and grab the guy.

Moral of the story, there has always been an asshole in every crowd, and adding alcohol makes some of them even bigger d-bags.
Similar thing happened to me at my first NASCAR race. Dad took me to Richmond when I was maybe in 7th grade. He got me an autographed Dale Earnhardt plaque and some drunktard Mark Martin fan who weighed about 400lbs decided he was going to stand over me in our seats and rain down hate on me for being an Earnhardt fan. My dad and my neighbor quickly had him apologizing for being such lowlife piece of human waste.

I can't believe such a thing could happen at a NASCAR race ya know. Weird

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RhinoD and ru4_mu2
Lot of work there.

Put some work into disproving the basic truth that:

CUSA was founded by a set of schools that would have never been in conference together but for one simple issue. They all wanted to play football at this level. None are not trying. None are “gimmie” wins. All are here because they wish to be here.

Those schools brought with them their basketball programs (and everything else) at whatever level these were at. VASTLY different levels of history, commitment, ability and just plain old interest in basketball. League is thus chock full of what should be automatic wins for the minority of the league (which certainly includes Marshall) that has the desire and ability to win at basketball.

You can’t. Because what I say is true. So make up another meme. It is easier than thinking
I know when I see the words Florida International, Florida Atlantic, UNC Charlotte, and Old Dominion that those few words just drip with commitment, unharnessed tradition, and by God it means hold on to your seats sports fans because it is going to a thrill ride.

I know when I see the words Florida International, Florida Atlantic, UNC Charlotte, and Old Dominion that those few words just drip with commitment, unharnessed tradition, and by God it means hold on to your seats sports fans because it is going to a thrill ride.
Ahh, you fall into the trap.

Then, explain to me why these schools are here, rather than simply dropping football and finding refuge in a geographically logical basketball conference.

Rotten super-fandom as its worst.

@GeauxHerd has actually sat with me a couple times and seen that that dude in action.
I remember a game you and him, as well as a guy named @mlblack16. went to a few years back, at Kent State I believe it was. They tried to get me to come down, but when @mlblack16. requested directions on how to get from Columbus to Kent, Ohio, I knew I would be better served staying home. He was struggling knowing the difference between I-77 and I-79 until GeauxHerd explained it all to him. Figured it would all go downhill from there. Think the Herd rallied to win the game though.

You, and the other rotten super fans, were down on OUR conference long before Texas and Oklahoma admitted that the BIg 2, Little 8 experiment had failed and kicked the Leftover Little 8 to the curb, setting off this latest round.

Long before.

Fact is you consider every conference team we play to be “lesser than” and thus an automatic win. You will do the same in SBC 2.0 if we are there and the same in AAC 2.0 (Big East 5.0). You post constantly about the ESPN bowls (and never respond when it is pointed out that the other leagues have virtually the same list). You are a rotten super fan, expecting to win every game, and thinking it is not a big deal to have done so.

Your kind kills programs.

HAHAHAHA!! Goddamn Sam, I actually was in agreement with you in SOME aspects of MU. Mainly that the fans both expect MU to win every game and be the best G5 program, but at the same time, can never expand, never get the resources, and never have the elements that would make the former true.
Existing in two places at once.
I also defended MU and Doc when they won games, even games against good teams like LA Tech, when everyone else complained about it.
I also agreed MU wasn't in a position to move up to the AAC at the time everyone else jumped because of money and MU lacked the facilities they required. Rather than announce and publicly fail, which would create discouragement with the fans, Hamrick didn't do it.
I also agreed the AAC really didn't offer more than others, as evidenced when the Big 12 considered expansion a few years ago.

But...

Since your ramblings have produced zero sense and it seems by your response to me, which was a genuine, willingness to confirm your words, you have nothing.
You've realized you're in a quagmire with your comments and instead of logically trying to dig yourself out, you just accuse me of, well, the very opposite I've been.

Unlike you, I'll change my opinions and thoughts based on the framework for growth and improvement if its laid out. The moves MU could make to either conference benefit it further than where it is...SBC more to me than the AAC.
You want whats best for MU but are just like the piss poor 100 yr long WV leadership that put it in such a position in the first place. Sit around and do jack sh*t then shout at everyone who wants to do something.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

Look at the founding member schools and tell me which ones have more basketball recognition/history than football.

Cincy
Louisville
DePaul
Marquette
St. Louis
South Florida
Charlotte
Southern Miss
UAB
Memphis
Tulane

Oh and there's this, 'The conference immediately started competition in all sports, except football which started in 1996.'

Wow, its like football wasn't important.

It's the other way around goddamn Sam, CUSA appears to have been primarily founded as a basketball conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT