ADVERTISEMENT

MU's Case for AAC

GoHerdMarshallYes

Gold Buffalo
Nov 7, 2018
Figured starting a new thread as to why MU could pitch a case for AAC inclusion.
What does MU have to sell for the AAC?

Recent IPF.
Plans in place and land purchased for baseball field/stadium with option for minor league team.
Basketball has been competitive.
Football has been competitive.
R2 research status.

Huntington itself has been working to improve its image. Many plans are in place for changes and economic developments and for a state that doesn't know how to operate, thats saying something.
Yes, they aren't happening overnight but as I said, they are at least moving.

Location places MU on the edge of Ohio and KY, two solid areas for recruiting for other teams as well as improving D1 athletes from the areas high schools.
MU is somewhat located in the middle of the conference as well...we aren't Boise State so far out west.
Basically, its a solid set for travel.

Budgets are a big issue and probably what'll carry weight.
Will MU fans and alumni step up since the demand for finances is most certainly to increase? I don't doubt MU can compete with these schools on a regular basis either in terms of athletics and sports.

Just my little bits and pieces for what MU could consider showing for the AAC if there should be a possible invite.

Reactions: Herdmeister
Huntington-Charleston is the #70 tv market in the country (out of 210). Boise is #100 as a comparison. TV market may not be our selling point, but it is not a negative either.

Let me frame it this way. How many of you Thundering Herd fans would be excited to the point it will improve attendance? Has Huntington's opinion of Orlando changed since 2013? Also if they offer you for all sports, rank which program your fanbase would be most excited to see.

UCF
Wichita State (basketball)
Memphis
Temple
South Florida
SMU
Tulsa
Navy (football)
Tulane
Houston
East Carolina

- Does MU have, over and above all other current expenses and the baseball commitment, the $7M CUSA buy out?

- Does MU have, over and above all other current expenses, a serious commitment to improving our, in most cases token, effort in "olympic sports" including air travel in most cases?

- Does MU have a SUSTAINABLE men's basketball business plan?

- Does MU have the ability to survive on limited to no TV revenue during a transition period?

- Does MU have the ability to keep the fanbase engaged with no championship in the offing during a transition period?

- Does MU have the ability, several years down the road when the "newness" has worn off and during a down year, to keep the fanbase engaged for games versus distant teams with which we have no more in common with than the CUSAs?

Until the answer to all of those is "yes", it is a no sale.

And, further, of course, we have not been asked, and are not going to be asked. The AAC is about being IN, but not SIGNIFICANT IN, big media markets. We just do not fit, and never will.

Media has made the world smaller. Any fan, any where, can access tv, streaming, audio for their team just about anywhere in the country IF they want to. Markets are overblown. 10-20 years ago, yeah, much more important geographically.
Crowds will come and attend for good matchups. Jmo

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.es...e-big-east-mean-biggest-programs?platform=amp

Per espn: “From there, the American could prioritize up-and-coming programs in stronger media markets (Charlotte, Old Dominion, Georgia State), smaller programs with a recent history of success (Troy, UAB, North Texas) or focus on recruiting hotbeds that would offer good rivalry opportunities with existing members (Georgia Southern, Louisiana Tech, FIU, FAU).” No mention of MU, even in smaller programs with recent success.

And if we did get in, what would that realistically mean for us in football? Better opponents for sure, ranked teams coming to Huntington, a million more in tv money. But look at Cincinnati’s conf schedule this fall, it’s brutal. By November would we be competing for championships or bowl eligibility? We win 8 games now and interest is fading... when we win 6 against better teams, will ticket sales and donations improve? Everyone is thinking of a best case scenario for this move (fans energized, new coach, more donations, competing for championship...), but that’s not one of the more likely scenarios.

No, I don’t like CUSA, and yes I like to dream big too. But this move may not fix our money and declining fan problems... it might further expose them.

Reactions: Shark19
What we can pitch...

Football - Normally a solid product, former relationships with Cincy, UCF, Memphis, ECU, new IPF, recognizable name for ESPN and other networks, "good" in relative terms G5 attendance.

Basketball - Two years of recent success, arena upgrades, improving fan support.

Baseball - New stadium coming along, usually a decent team despite not being in a baseball hotbed for recruiting and not having facilities.

Olympic sports - Nothing much (softball/girls tennis are usually good) the rest no one pays attention.

The question is, would and/or should we make the move if offered. I would argue we should based on the two sports that people give a damn about (football and basketball).

Would you rather pay to watch a league schedule of - East Carolina, UCF, South Florida, Memphis, Tulane, Temple, Cincy and Tulsa or the usual slate of - FIU, FAU, UAB, So. Miss, Old Dominion, Charlotte, MTSU and Western Kentucky? It's not even close.

The ESPN contract also includes language that would protect the network, should marquee schools, such as UCF, Cincinnati or UConn leave for another conference.

UConn Men's and Women's Basketball > The rest of the AAC's everything else

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
In my opinion it would be a no brainer. The better competition would immediately increase ticket sales and bring much more excitement to the program. Not that I envision ever going undefeated with doc holliday as the coach but think what would happen if that did occur? We would be competing in a New Year's 6 bowl.

In my opinion the MU President, AD, and current Mayor need to approach the AAC pointing out the positives of letting Marshall join - not just the negatives. Much better competition in the AAC vs CUSA. We need to be proactive and not sit around waiting for an invitation.

Are we sure ticket sales will immediately go up? What were MU's ticket sales numbers when we previously shared a conference with the likes of Houston, UCF, ECU, Memphis, Tulsa, etc.?

Reactions: The Real SamC
In my opinion the MU President, AD, and current Mayor need to approach the AAC pointing out the positives of letting Marshall join - not just the negatives. Much better competition in the AAC vs CUSA. We need to be proactive and not sit around waiting for an invitation.

Thays the problem.
Too many talk all about the negatives of MU.
Instead of a 10 win season, MU fans complain about the 2-3 that were lost.
Instead of saying we beat a Big 10 team, its "Well Purdue isn't very good...we're overrated."
Its like many put more effort into all the negatives than embracing the positives.
If MU somehow got the invite, MU fans would have to commit to the changes needed, including being more optimistic.

Having said that, I would luv to join AAC. But we have as much a chance of joining AAC as WVU has to join the REAL ACC.

Last edited:
We simply are not located in a major city. When the AAC was created they simply looked at the size of the cities in which the teams were located. The top “cities” were invited regardless of the performance of the team, the fans, attendance, etc. If it replaces UConn, it will look ONLY at the size of the city, metro area and TV market (that can be delivered). BTW, the late, great Dan Shoemaker told me that Marshall never showed interest at the time the AAC was created. I can reveal this now.

As to fan interest for AAC teams. Absolutely! UCF becomes instant rival and ranked team! Travel to Orlando! Are you kidding? Travel to Cincy every other year. Instant rivalry. Stick around next day for Bengals game! ECU. Instant friendly rivalry and must-go-to away game. Navy. (see Hamrick statement regarding scheduling the Rams). Absolutely. Another great away game to Annapolis. Stick around next day for Redskins game! Tulane. Absolutely. Easy win and trip to the Big Easy! Stick around next day for Saints game or if we’re very lucky game at noon and LSU that night!. Absolutely! Cheap flights to Houston and ranked team and Dana! Stick around next day for Texans game! Memphis. We’re Baaaack! Instant rivalry and trip to....Memphis! SMU. Absolutely! We’re Baaaack! Easy win. Stick around next day for Cowboys game! Tulsa. Absolutely! We’re Baaack! Easy win. South Florida. Absolutely! Easy win and it’s.....south Florida! Stick around next day for Buccaneers game! Temple. Absolutely! Huge TV market. Easy win. Steak sandwiches. Stick around for Eagles game next day! And Wichita State. Absolutely! Marshall v. Marshall in basketball! Instant BB rivalry!

Last edited:
As to fan interest for AAC teams. Absolutely! UCF becomes instant rival and ranked team! Travel to Orlando! Are you kidding? Travel to Cincy every other year. Instant rivalry. ECU. Instant friendly rivalry and must-go-to away game. Navy. (see Hamrick statement regarding scheduling the Rams). Absolutely. Another great away game to Annapolis. Tulane. Absolutely. Easy win and trip to the Big Easy! Houston. Absolutely! Cheap flights to Houston and ranked team and Dana! Memphis. We’re Baaaack! Instant rivalry and trip to....Memphis! SMU. Absolutely! We’re Baaaack! Easy win. Tulsa. Absolutely! We’re Baaack! Easy win. South Florida. Absolutely! Easy win and it’s.....south Florida! Temple. Absolutely! Huge TV market. Easy win. Steak sandwiches. Stick around for Eagles game next day! And Wichita State. Absolutely! Marshall v. Marshall in basketball! Instant BB rivalry!

o_O

We don’t own the Charleston/ Huntington TV market, WVU does.

I doubt that. I imagine they'd want to claim a chunk of the Pittsburgh market.
Plus if MU did get on TV more often and the network carrying it was pretty accessible, you could take some of it. Maybe not all of it but for sure many viewers.

Having said that, I would luv to join AAC. But we have as much a chance of joining AAC as WVU has to join the REAL ACC.

We don't know what the AAC would want to look for at this point.
UConn never has been known for football. The new TV deal wasn't very popular for UConn basketball fans either.
ODU and Charlotte, whom have been mentionedn bring a market but absolutely no football value. They've been in the conference long enough and continue to suck. Its a bit of a mystery why two teams like that, with high resources, produce such abysmal results in football.
Considering some teams in the AAC have large markets but not so good football; Tulsa, Tulane, and ECU this may be something the AAC considers.
Of all the realistic suitors to join if you want just football stability, does anyone really beat MU in that category?

Nope. In the eyes of ESPN, WVU owns this market. No “ifs”, “ands”, or “buts”.

I highly doubt wvu was taken for its market...ownership of Charleston isn't exactly going to have a Texas based conference knocking at your door.
wvu got in because Bill Stewart, amazingly doesn't get enough credit for this, managed to keep that program from absolutely tanking. They lost their beloved Rich Rod, and had Stewart keeping the program just a hair above everyone else.
For the Big 12, it was about football for them, and wvu managed to have the least bad one of the bunch.

We don’t own the Charleston/ Huntington TV market, WVU does.

You are moving the goalposts on your argument. We are the only school located in the Huntington/Charleston market (although Ohio U is on the fringe of our market). If "owning" the market is the new standard, who in the AAC "owns" their market? Not Cincinnati (OSU/UK), not Memphis (UT/Ole Miss), not UCF or USF (UF/FSU), not ECU (UNC/NCSU/Duke), not Houston (UT/A&M), not Tulsa (OU/OK ST), not Temple (Penn St), not SMU (TCU/TT/Texas/A&M), not Tulane (LSU).
When I try to find news stories about some of our CUSA conference mates, they are totally ignored by their local papers or the paper drops in an AP write up. By contrast, we get top of page coverage in the H-D, decent secondary coverage in the Gazette, we lead the sportscast most nights on WSAZ and get good coverage on WCHS. WOWK ignores us but no one notices. All in all, our media coverage is good and our market size is respectable.

South Florida. Absolutely! Easy win and it’s.....south Florida! Stick around next day for Dolphins game! !
I love you scenario but I think you means Bucs and not Dolphins. As you know , USF is NOT in South Florida but in West Central Florida in Tampa.

Actually the University of Kentucky, despite the Kentucky counties making up less than 1/4th of the market, gets higher ratings than WVU in BOTH basketball and football in the market.

In any event this whole thing reminds me of a discussion of "wouldn't it be great if our rich uncle Joe invited us to his beach house in Florida for the week?" Followed by 20 great reasons why that would be a great thing, all the things Joe has, how fun it would be, how great the beach is, etc.

Except, one, Joe doesn't like you that much and is never going to invite you; and, two, even if he did, you cannot afford the airfare.

We do NOT fit in the AAC's business model. That simple. We are a CUSA team. If CUSA sports are not for you, then MU sports are not for you. Find something else.

Further, the idea that we will be "instant rivals" with the random collection of teams in far off states with which we have little in common and that vast droves of people are going to descend on these various places and stay for NFL games or to see Mickey Mouse, is silly.

MU is in CUSA, now and for as long as this era continues, which probably means the next great reshuffle when the Big 12 and the MAC implode in the mid 20s.

Chuck Landon states in his Tues column that Marshall moving to a new conference is not happening. He says ODU Is the best choice and ASU would be the leading candidate to replace OD.

Chuck Landon states in his Tues column that Marshall moving to a new conference is not happening. He says ODU Is the best choice and ASU would be the leading candidate to replace OD.
They probably have the most dough, so maybe he's right on this one. Army would be the best choice, but there's no way Navy & Army will be in the same conference, since it would mess up the annual game. I can't think of any other CUSA teams that would meet the AAC criteria, except for ODU, or perhaps UAB. MAC doesn't have any either, except for the possibility of Buffalo, but not sure what their financial well being is currently. If CUSA does lose another team, then Appalachian would be a good program to join. Them, or Liberty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT