ADVERTISEMENT

MU's Case for AAC

Landon is just throwing pasta at a wall.

I said "pasta" because I thought it might be best to keep things dignified.

tenor.gif

Chuck Landon states in his Tues column that Marshall moving to a new conference is not happening. He says ODU Is the best choice and ASU would be the leading candidate to replace OD.

While Landon is just a hater and has no inside info on any subject, simple logic says that he might just be right in this case. ODU is in the Tidewater DMA, #42 with 717K TV homes (H-C is currently #70, 431K, but loses three or four spots every decade and over a third of that is in KY or OH) and borders the Richmond DMA (#55, 565K). Tidewater is the third largest DMA (after Austin and Hartford) to no have a team in any of the four major pro sports).

So in Arseco-spin, ODU = the Tidewater. The fact that 98.5% of people there could not care less about ODU is, of course, not relevant, just as the similar facts about all the other IN, but not SIGNIFICANT IN big market AAC schools are not relevant in Arseco-spin. In fact, in Arseco-spin, ODU = Virginia, the 16th largest state, with a growth rate near the top (WV is #38 and the only state to have lost population in this decade) just as ECU = North Carolina in Arseco-spin, the fact that 99.9% of people in Virginia could not care less about ODU being as irrelevant as the same fact vis NC and ECU.

We don't fit. We fit in CUSA right now, and, when the MAC and the Big 12 collapse in a few years, hopefully we will be able to assemble an even better fit from among the reshuffle that will happen because of that. As for right now, ASU is an upgrade in every way from ODU, both in terms of MU's selfish interest (better geography, history together, similar mission school) and in terms of CUSA over-all.

If that is not for you, then MU sports is not for you. Find something else.

Reactions: jmac95 and Shark19
Not happening. The only way for the Herd to get attention by the AAC is to win championships, be in the conversation for the Access Bowl perennially and get to the post season in basketball on a consistent basis which is tough in a one bid league. Although Marshall can make some good arguments for membership, so can others.

Reactions: Shark19
Chuck Landon states in his Tues column that Marshall moving to a new conference is not happening. He says ODU Is the best choice and ASU would be the leading candidate to replace OD.

Doubt that happens. ODU hasn't produced in a lesser conference with the money they currently have and I don't think moving up is going to improve that.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Not happening. The only way for the Herd to get attention by the AAC is to win championships, be in the conversation for the Access Bowl perennially and get to the post season in basketball on a consistent basis which is tough in a one bid league. Although Marshall can make some good arguments for membership, so can others.

How many titles has anyone else won in C-USA since everyone else left?
I'm talking about the teams with a remote chance of being invited.

We are not going to get a invite to the AAC. I don’t understand the segment of our fan base that doesn’t get this.

I wonder if its the same segment that constantly bashes MU being in C-USA, says we play nobody, and we have no money from TV and hate our current situation.
That group literally crying for MU to leave, now, is starting to say,
"Welllllll...I mean, MU really isn't fit to move up and leave C-USA..."

This is the problem with the fanbase that I'm talking about. You have 2 choices:

1. Believe MU doesn't have what it takes, should stay in CUSA, and isn't going to move up because they have nothing, or not enough to offer.
That would mean STOP BITCHING ABOUT BEING UNHAPPY WHERE MU CURRENTLY IS. Stop complaining about FB games, lack of TV money, and lesser known conference opponents.

2. Believe MU can move up, should move up, and can compete as they are richly undeserving of their current status.
That would mean you'd have to quit looking at the glass half empty. There is no way MU could compete if the fanbase isn't committed to believing it can be successful.

My god just pick one...

You are moving the goalposts on your argument. We are the only school located in the Huntington/Charleston market (although Ohio U is on the fringe of our market). If "owning" the market is the new standard, who in the AAC "owns" their market? Not Cincinnati (OSU/UK), not Memphis (UT/Ole Miss), not UCF or USF (UF/FSU), not ECU (UNC/NCSU/Duke), not Houston (UT/A&M), not Tulsa (OU/OK ST), not Temple (Penn St), not SMU (TCU/TT/Texas/A&M), not Tulane (LSU).
When I try to find news stories about some of our CUSA conference mates, they are totally ignored by their local papers or the paper drops in an AP write up. By contrast, we get top of page coverage in the H-D, decent secondary coverage in the Gazette, we lead the sportscast most nights on WSAZ and get good coverage on WCHS. WOWK ignores us but no one notices. All in all, our media coverage is good and our market size is respectable.

I must say, I do like the coverage MU gets around here. Much of it has to do with MU winning too.

In my opinion it would be a no brainer. The better competition would immediately increase ticket sales and bring much more excitement to the program. Not that I envision ever going undefeated with doc holliday as the coach but think what would happen if that did occur? We would be competing in a New Year's 6 bowl.

I think the AAC stays put at 11 teams for this season. Its too close to really do proper research in what the AAC wants.
I feel this season is going to be an audition for next year and possible invites.

Doubt that happens. ODU hasn't produced in a lesser conference with the money they currently have and I don't think moving up is going to improve that.

Landon cited their budget and geography as principal reasons OD makes sense. He listed their budget at 44 million.

If "owning" the market is the new standard, who in the AAC "owns" their market? Not Cincinnati (OSU/UK), not Memphis (UT/Ole Miss), not UCF or USF (UF/FSU), not ECU (UNC/NCSU/Duke), not Houston (UT/A&M), not Tulsa (OU/OK ST), not Temple (Penn St), not SMU (TCU/TT/Texas/A&M), not Tulane (LSU).

Well, yeah. That is the POINT of the Big Lie that is the AAC. Not one of those programs has any traction at all, even in their home towns. Some not even on their own campus. There is only so much air in any room, and all AAC members live in rooms where the True Major state programs and, in most case, major pro teams, suck up all but a tiny fraction of one percent of it.

When you think of what an AACer's role in its home market is, say what UCF sports means in Orlando or UC sports means in Cincy, or SMU means in Dallas, think of what WV State sports means here, only even less so.

When I try to find news stories about some of our CUSA conference mates, they are totally ignored by their local papers or the paper drops in an AP write up. By contrast, we get top of page coverage in the H-D, decent secondary coverage in the Gazette, we lead the sportscast most nights on WSAZ and get good coverage on WCHS. WOWK ignores us but no one notices. All in all, our media coverage is good and our market size is respectable.

I must say, I do like the coverage MU gets around here. Much of it has to do with MU winning too.

Much of it does have to do with MU winning, but most of it has to do with the clear playing field we compete against for attention. The Reds and all other local-ish pro teams are too far away and this market is too small now to afford any real coverage. The TV just reads the scores , the newspapers just run the AP.

Then comes college. Again, UK and OSU are too far away. The TV just depends on recycling other station's or school produced material. Leaving WVU. With all respect, you have to be a 12 year old boy, or have the mentality of one, to actually take WVU seriously. No thinking adult really believes that WVU out recruited True Majors for five-star athletes with chances at major awards, or that it is ever actually going to win anything of significance.

Which is our biggest advantage. Our conference mates live in the giant shadow of True Majors like LSU, Alabama, Florida, Florida State, Auburn, Texas, Texas A&M and such like. We have WVU, 200 miles away and permanently mediocre.

Well, yeah. That is the POINT of the Big Lie that is the AAC. Not one of those programs has any traction at all, even in their home towns. Some not even on their own campus. There is only so much air in any room, and all AAC members live in rooms where the True Major state programs and, in most case, major pro teams, suck up all but a tiny fraction of one percent of it.

When you think of what an AACer's role in its home market is, say what UCF sports means in Orlando or UC sports means in Cincy, or SMU means in Dallas, think of what WV State sports means here, only even less so.

Much of it does have to do with MU winning, but most of it has to do with the clear playing field we compete against for attention. The Reds and all other local-ish pro teams are too far away and this market is too small now to afford any real coverage. The TV just reads the scores , the newspapers just run the AP.

Then comes college. Again, UK and OSU are too far away. The TV just depends on recycling other station's or school produced material. Leaving WVU. With all respect, you have to be a 12 year old boy, or have the mentality of one, to actually take WVU seriously. No thinking adult really believes that WVU out recruited True Majors for five-star athletes with chances at major awards, or that it is ever actually going to win anything of significance.

Which is our biggest advantage. Our conference mates live in the giant shadow of True Majors like LSU, Alabama, Florida, Florida State, Auburn, Texas, Texas A&M and such like. We have WVU, 200 miles away and permanently mediocre.
Wow, with all your drama it sounds like it is time for Marshall to move down(or mabye up) to FCS and try to win that thing again.

Hate to say this, but I personally would be shocked if we even received an invite to join the AAC.
They didn't invite us when ot was originated. I see little reason why they would now.
I truly hope I am wrong. I would love those trips to Memphis again and the hoops games with Wichita State, Houston and the Tigers

Figured starting a new thread as to why MU could pitch a case for AAC inclusion.
What does MU have to sell for the AAC?

Recent IPF.
Plans in place and land purchased for baseball field/stadium with option for minor league team.
Basketball has been competitive.
Football has been competitive.
R2 research status.

Huntington itself has been working to improve its image. Many plans are in place for changes and economic developments and for a state that doesn't know how to operate, thats saying something.
Yes, they aren't happening overnight but as I said, they are at least moving.

Location places MU on the edge of Ohio and KY, two solid areas for recruiting for other teams as well as improving D1 athletes from the areas high schools.
MU is somewhat located in the middle of the conference as well...we aren't Boise State so far out west.
Basically, its a solid set for travel.

Budgets are a big issue and probably what'll carry weight.
Will MU fans and alumni step up since the demand for finances is most certainly to increase? I don't doubt MU can compete with these schools on a regular basis either in terms of athletics and sports.

Just my little bits and pieces for what MU could consider showing for the AAC if there should be a possible invite.
The biggest issue, AAC does not allow props! This is a gamechanger

Reactions: ThunderDrunk304
Nobody over the age of 11 contemplated the AAC adding a team in football for this season. You realize schedules have been done, there are contractual issues, television issues, etc., right?

I realize I made the mistake of not seeking the proper dates for UConn leaving. That wouldn't stop people from readYing themselves regardless. Its still unknOwn jUst what the AAC is going to wAnt fRom thE next team up. DOes MU have a shot? Who Knows.

With all our props and all that it brings to the table we have one conference championship in a decade and a half. It must not be that big of an advantage.
think what it would be without the props. Might be the coach!

While Landon is just a hater and has no inside info on any subject, simple logic says that he might just be right in this case. ODU is in the Tidewater DMA, #42 with 717K TV homes (H-C is currently #70, 431K, but loses three or four spots every decade and over a third of that is in KY or OH) and borders the Richmond DMA (#55, 565K). Tidewater is the third largest DMA (after Austin and Hartford) to no have a team in any of the four major pro sports).

So in Arseco-spin, ODU = the Tidewater. The fact that 98.5% of people there could not care less about ODU is, of course, not relevant, just as the similar facts about all the other IN, but not SIGNIFICANT IN big market AAC schools are not relevant in Arseco-spin. In fact, in Arseco-spin, ODU = Virginia, the 16th largest state, with a growth rate near the top (WV is #38 and the only state to have lost population in this decade) just as ECU = North Carolina in Arseco-spin, the fact that 99.9% of people in Virginia could not care less about ODU being as irrelevant as the same fact vis NC and ECU.

We don't fit. We fit in CUSA right now, and, when the MAC and the Big 12 collapse in a few years, hopefully we will be able to assemble an even better fit from among the reshuffle that will happen because of that. As for right now, ASU is an upgrade in every way from ODU, both in terms of MU's selfish interest (better geography, history together, similar mission school) and in terms of CUSA over-all.

You keep saying the same thing as if you're trying to convince yourself its true. UCF being in Orlando absolutely carries the Central Florida market and is building a national fan base. They have the largest enrollment in the nation and are pumping out more alumni's than any school. This translates to viewership, the key thing ESPN is after. Whereas, CUSA's contract went from $1mm to $200k. The reason? Programs in CUSA don't generate enough viewers.

You say that Aresco's spin is that large market programs that don't carry their market. Then why did the AAC go from 2 million to ~7-8 million in annual pay? There is a marked difference in viewership between the AAC and CUSA.

Of course UCF is in a state with multiple P5 teams, but they've carved out a space in the state by being 100% committed to Athletics by making smart hires, upgrading facilities and being extremely proactive in finding big money donors. Most of the teams in the AAC share that same philosophy. Even doormat Tulane is trying to step up their game.

If Marshall wants a shot, they need to completely revamp their view on athletics.

Reactions: Herd Insider

Well hell, ODU is so damn awesome, shocked they haven’t been invited to the SEC. Hell, they’ve dominated CUSA. That massive redone football stadium and its 22K seats should impress the hell out of Saban.

In my opinion the MU President, AD, and current Mayor need to approach the AAC pointing out the positives of letting Marshall join - not just the negatives. Much better competition in the AAC vs CUSA. We need to be proactive and not sit around waiting for an invitation.

I would bet the three
have already done their homework and approached the AAC.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

You should contact ESPN right away and tell them AAC is based on Aresco spin. Somehow that spin landed 7 million a year vs Cusa 200,000 a year. ESPN needs to know asap you are the smartest guy in the room.

Oh and Aresco has said very few programs will be reviewed for membership. No one is buying odu brings any real market to tsble and no way they are even am option for AAc . Byu and Army seem to be top dogs on the Aac wish list.

Tidewater is the third largest DMA (after Austin and Hartford) to no have a team in any of the four major pro sports).

Wrong again, Samantha. As I always point out, instead of making a general statement, you try to argue exacts and specifics to make yourself appear to be an expert on a topic. However, many times, your attempts at specifics backfire since they are wrong.

Tidewater is behind Austin, Hartford, Birmingham, Greenville, Harrisburg, and West Palm Beach of DMA regions without a big four professional team.

That makes them seventh, not third, Samantha.

https://mediatracks.com/resources/nielsen-dma-rankings-2019/

I would bet the three have already done their homework and approached the AAC.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte
I reached out to both WV senators along with Mike and Dr. Gilbert.
I have heard back form most of them either e-mail or phone call and all said pretty much what I expected. That they are going to do what they feel is best for Marshall University and its student athletes.

Reactions: HerditAllBefore
You should contact ESPN right away and tell them AAC is based on Aresco spin. Somehow that spin landed 7 million a year vs Cusa 200,000 a year.

ESPN is one of the main purveyors of Arseco's idiocy. It knows how much it paid the AAC. And the HUGE GULF between that and the actual Power Five.

But keep believing all this spin. I get it. Marshall sports are not for you. Find something else.

But keep believing all this spin. I get it. Marshall sports are not for you. Find something else.

Actually, Samantha, Marshall sports is not for you.

You keep putting that label on anyone who is realistic about Marshall's place in FBS. You're the one who throws a temper tantrum and refuses to accept that the AAC is superior than C-USA in every important measure: facilities, broadcast earnings, results on the field, draft picks, attendance, brand relevance, national rankings, bowl ties, enrollment, budgets, salaries, etc.

Your claim about the DMA in this thread was already shown to be bogus, and now your labeling of Marshall not being for everyone else has shown to be bogus as you are the one who refuses to accept reality about Marshall's position in FBS. The others on this board can all accept Marshall's position in college football. It is you who repeatedly hides from reality.

I would love to see us in the American. We all know it isn't going to happen.

aka....Get comfortable with C-USA.

Yes, the league we ARE IN, the league which we FIT, and which provide QUALITY games for those whose primary reason to attend Marshall games is to see MARSHALL, not the other team.

In a few years, when the MAC and Big 12 colapse, and set off another great reshuffle, our task is to see an EVEN BETTER set of teams, probably a more geographically logical remix of the the current CUSA, Sun Belt, and MAC, with a few refugees from the AAC money pit.

We all know that the CUSA haters, in an alternative reality, would be hating on the AAC, pining for, probably, the Big 12. They are the same crew who hated on the previous version of CUSA, the MAC, the SoCon and so on. Because Marshall sports are just not for them. Wal-Mart USPAMism is there for them.

Meanwhile we stay well clear of a league that a school with dozens of advantages over us lost its a** in. A mistake that we, in our position, cannot afford.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT