ADVERTISEMENT

MU's Case for AAC

SamC, the MAC will never break up. A collection of staid, conservative Midwestern schools that will always be relegated to the Peach section of the TOLEDO BLADE.

Reactions: ohio herd
Got to spend money to make money

Of course UConn, a school named for a state, in fact the wealthiest state, with NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP level basketball in both (all two) genders, and a serviceable football team L O S T tens of millions of dollars in the rediculious AAC. L O S T. Not made. L O S T.

Try again.

I can see why the Big 12 might be reshuffled in the future, but how the hell do you figure that the MAC will collapse?

I can't imagine a Conference [MAC]
that was established in 1946 with good academic schools and "OK " sports teams folding their athletic tents!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Of course UConn, a school named for a state, in fact the wealthiest state, with NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP level basketball in both (all two) genders, and a serviceable football team L O S T tens of millions of dollars in the rediculious AAC. L O S T. Not made. L O S T.

Try again.

They lost money due to poor budgeting and the state reeling in funds. It really had nothing to do with their membership in AAC. It was all school related. You make it sound like it's some fault of the evil AAC.

Try again.

Geography, as well as the fact that basketball dominates that school's identity, also played into it.
This potentially creates a fallout for the AAC, because UConn's basketball was by far the most valued item for the school.
UConn's departure allows ESPN to rengotiate what it plans to pay the remaining schools...and its doubtful anyone has more to offer than UConn's men and women's teams.
The AAC is trying like crazy to put its football as the main attraction for its league (and it is) but of all things, basketball, affects said overall value of the league.

MAC schools have different priorities. It’s not lacking forwarding thinking in sports. They obviously don’t see the value in blindly chasing athletic white whales. They are at peace with their place in the pecking order.

Good for their academic priorities.

This is the NCAA...money, football, and more money are the current priorities.
The NCAA would politely say "It was nice working with you" and not renew their TV deal or cut it short or whatever, and the MAC will be the new Ivy League.

Of course UConn, a school named for a state, in fact the wealthiest state, with NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP level basketball in both (all two) genders, and a serviceable football team L O S T tens of millions of dollars
Try again.

My post was to clarify that 1. Not as expensive as people are saying to move to AAC, which “Marshall” would get back easily with tv contract,attendance and exposure. 2. UConn is taking short-term loses for long-term success. 3. As a Marylander, I would dispute that Connecticut is the richest state. 4 start negotiations as this is the start of a second wave of realignment.

1 - The cost of leaving CUSA is a known number, $7M. Over and above all other monies currently budgeted. What UConn paid to get out of the ridiculous AAC is not germane to that discussion. Your plan to cover this?

2 - Correct, because UConn lost millions every year in the ridiculous AAC and is now paying $17M M O R E to to get out of the money pit that is the AAC. Your plan for MU to make money in the AAC?

3 - I've seen different lists, not worth arguing about, but it is clear CT is, is not at the top, very near it. Not worth arguing about. However there are lists that put WV anywhere from last to no better than 47th. Your plan for this program to make money where UConn could not is?

4 - No, this is UConn getting out of the bankrupting AAC. The next realignment starts in ernest when the MAC and Big 12 colapse, which will happen in the next decade. We will find an EVEN BETTER fit than CUSA in that deal. Or we can listen to pipe dreamers that will, after a few years, also become dissatisfied with the AAC.

I get it. MU sports are not for you. I really hope you can find something else.

rediculious

Try again.

Try again? That's what your sixth grade teacher should have told you when you tried spelling that word. "Rediculious." That's cute.

3 - I've seen different lists, not worth arguing about, but it is clear CT is, is not at the top, very near it. Not worth arguing about. However there are lists that put WV anywhere from last to no better than 47th. Your plan for this program to make money where UConn could not is?

The wealth of a state has very little to do with a university's athletic department/program to make money.

Alaska, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, North Dakota, and New Jersey are all in the top ten states for highest per capita and highest household income, but nobody is expecting those state football programs to make more money than Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, and Ole Miss which are in the poorest states based on per capita and household income.

The success of a university's athletic department/program has far, far more important factors than the wealth of the state the school is located in.

Try again? That's what your sixth grade teacher should have told you when you tried spelling that word. "Rediculious." That's cute.

The wealth of a state has very little to do with a university's athletic department/program to make money.

Alaska, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, North Dakota, and New Jersey are all in the top ten states for highest per capita and highest household income, but nobody is expecting those state football programs to make more money than Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, and Ole Miss which are in the poorest states based on per capita and household income.

The success of a university's athletic department/program has far, far more important factors than the wealth of the state the school is located in.

Hey NumbleNuts Ryan Koobe....comparing Bama, LSU, Ole Miss & Arkansas FOOTBALL to states such as Alaska, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Connecticut, Massachusetts & Jersey is like comparing Marshall to the NE Patriots!

SEC Football ha$ been $upreme for decade$.
Those stated SEC Universities are some of the wealthiest schools and campuses in the US, in spite of being located in poor states! WHY? Because $EC Football [$$$$] is the Engine that drives those Trains for facilities, recruiting, large crowds, TV coverage, etc.

Get a clue before drinking from the Cup of Stupidity!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Last edited:
Reactions: The Real SamC
Hey NumbleNuts Ryan Koobe....comparing Bama, LSU, Ole Miss & Arkansas FOOTBALL to states such as Alaska, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Connecticut, Massachusetts & Jersey is like comparing Marshall to the NE Patriots!

SEC Football ha$ been $upreme for decade$.
Those stated SEC Universities are some of the wealthiest schools and campuses in the US, in spite of being located in poor states! WHY? Because $EC Football [$$$$] is the Engine that drives those Trains for facilities, recruiting, large crowds, TV coverage, etc.

Get a clue before drinking from the Cup of Stupidity!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

You’re too dumb to even follow a conversation. Samantha claimed that a rich state should be a big factor in a state school’s football program to make money. I, using exactly what you just showed, disproved his claim.

You’re too dumb to realize you just agreed with what I said to Samantha.

You’re too dumb to even follow a conversation. Samantha claimed that a rich state should be a big factor in a state school’s football program to make money. I, using exactly what you just showed, disproved his claim.

You’re too dumb to realize you just agreed with what I said to Samantha.

NO, Sam did not claim as you report

He said that UCONN football lost $$$$ while being a member of the AAC. I suggest UCONN football would lose $$$ no matter what level of football they play.

College sports are NOT important in New England or really the North. It is all about PRO Sports! Conversely, Southern-fried Football is like King Cotton in Dixie! That's why we play the game!

HerdZilla22 in charlotte

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
NO, Sam did not claim as you report.

He said that UCONN football lost $$$$ while being a member of the AAC. I suggest UCONN football would lose $$$ no matter what level of football they play.

College sports are NOT important in New England or really the North. It is all about PRO Sports! Conversely, Southern-fried Football is like King Cotton in Dixie! That's why we play the game!

HerdZilla22 in charlotte

Moron, his claim was that if a school in a very wealthy state couldn’t make money in a certain conference, then it would be even harder for a school in a very poor state to make money in that same conference. The point I made (and which you’re too dumb to realize you agree with) was that a state’s wealth has very little to do with the ability of a state school’s football program to make money (hence my use of Alabama, Arkansas, ole miss, etc. as examples).

Run along - you’re making yourself look dumber than usual.

1 -

4 - No, this is UConn getting out of the bankrupting AAC. The next realignment starts in ernest when the MAC and Big 12 colapse, which will happen in the next decade. .

While I agree with you and the Big 12 collapse, I really don't see that happening in the MAC. For the most part all those schools are very happy with where they are.

How about this?

Marshall
West Virginia
Maryland
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Louisville

Pitt
Penn State
Syracuse
Rutgers
Boston College
UConn
Yes, I think we would fit in rather nicely with all those Big 10 and ACC schools. In all areas including athletics, academics, facilities and money. Geesh!

Reactions: The Real SamC
Yes, I think we would fit in rather nicely with all those Big 10 and ACC schools. In all areas including athletics, academics, facilities and money. Geesh!

Yes.

When the next "great realignment" happens is to be in a good position in terms of both finance and on-the-court/field, so we can land in an appropriate remix out of what will happen. The suspects will come from a list of the MACers that want to remain at the I-A level, which will include Ohio and Miami; CUSA, the SBC, and, perhaps some more escaping the AAC money pit, and some I-AAs moving up (JMU? UTC? ) . Not from teams currently in the ACC, or Big 10. Nobody is going to ever leave any of what will be, at that time, the Power 4 other than moving between them.

And Marshall and WVU will never be in the same conference. WVU's best hope is the AAC or the third version of the Big 12 replacing the Big 2 with something semi-legit, like BYU, Cincy, or Houston.

I wouldn't discount the possibility that Marshall could approach the level of these schools eventually. But right now? There are a few bottom-dwellers mentioned in this list, but overall, these schools have better and larger facilities, superior athletics, and much more money. I won't even talk about academics because I feel you can get a good education at almost any school.

I wouldn't discount the possibility that Marshall could approach the level of these schools eventually. But right now? There are a few bottom-dwellers mentioned in this list, but overall, these schools have better and larger facilities, superior athletics, and much more money. I won't even talk about academics because I feel you can get a good education at almost any school.

I'm hoping his comments were a joke. I seriously hope.......

Reactions: Herdmeister
I've been trained to detect sarcasm. If you didn't get it from his obviously sarcastic comment, then the "geesh" at the end should have done it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT