ADVERTISEMENT

No talk about baseball?

Beat St. Louis University out of the A10 three games, played in the suburbs of Birmingham of all places. No clue what this means, how good St. Louis is supposed to be. They were about .500 last year and picked 4th in the A10 pre season coaches poll.

The SBC is no joke in baseball. It is one of the top baseball leagues. We are picked next to last. It is going to be a tough slog. Baseball has a very long way to go to become competitive at this level.

Beat St. Louis University out of the A10 three games, played in the suburbs of Birmingham of all places. No clue what this means, how good St. Louis is supposed to be. They were about .500 last year and picked 4th in the A10 pre season coaches poll.

The SBC is no joke in baseball. It is one of the top baseball leagues. We are picked next to last. It is going to be a tough slog. Baseball has a very long way to go to become competitive at this level.
New coach and new field. The excitement should be there to recruit our needs. And as you state SBC is a great Baseball conference and kids will want to play in it

Three games with Charleston Southern this weekend... They got absolutely slaughtered in 3 games by Florida last weekend (as expected) and are 1-3 on the season with a win yesterday over Citadel.

College baseball is tough to get a read on outside of about the top 20-30 programs... A majority of teams don't even know what they've got in terms of arms until they've been through 15-20 games.

Is this a good thread to say Let's Go Mets?

The Office Cringe GIF

Is this a good thread to say Let's Go Mets?

*2023 World Series Champion Mets.

And just wait until we get Ohtani for next year. I caught over 30 of their away games last year. I am gunning for 45 away games this season.

Reactions: HERD_Rich
Frankly, I think the entire AD and programs are now in the best shape we have been in and many years, if ever.

On top of that, TwolfHerdfan, our women's beach volleyball team has YET TO LOSE A GAME!!!

Heck, I'm so ecstatically happy, I'm seriously thinking about contributing funds to buy a couple of "game bikini outfits" for the team's opening season!!

• Haha
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Saturday update: Herd baseball won at Charleston Southern today with a late big inning outburst. Now 4-1, play the rubber game of the series with Southern on Sunday!

Reactions: Josh Stowers
I hate the big spenders in all big cities who have virtually ruined the game. I love the reds no matter how bad or good they are.
Being a life long orioles fan I understand big spenders being in the same division as the Yankees and Red Sox.

I read an article recently on why most MLB owners are against a "hard" salary cap like in other sports. Heading into the 2023 season MLB Payroll tracker has the NY Mets ranked first with a total payroll of around $336 million, and the Oakland A's ranked last with a total payroll of $41 million. That is a huge gap. BTW the league average is $148 million. It is not surprising that the teams that reside below the league average are in so called "small markets". Currently only 6 teams have a payroll that's over the defined “competitive tax balance threshold” for 2023, which is $233 million, and would have to pay a penalty of the amount over the threshold, which is then redistributed to teams that spend less. So, in essence if $233 million is used as the so-called unwritten salary cap, the other 24 teams would have to spend more, and in a lot of cases, a ton more to catchup.

All being said, it will be interesting to see if, as rumored, MLB takes over TV broadcasting rights like the NFL has, making TV media revenue distribution, during the regular season, equal among all 30 teams. If that does happen, a push for a league salary cap (minimum and maximum spending) might begin to gain traction.

Three games with Charleston Southern this weekend... They got absolutely slaughtered in 3 games by Florida last weekend (as expected) and are 1-3 on the season with a win yesterday over Citadel.

College baseball is tough to get a read on outside of about the top 20-30 programs... A majority of teams don't even know what they've got in terms of arms until they've been through 15-20 games.
The HERD got hammered @ Charleston Southern in game one [02/24] by 18-8. MU evened the series on Saturday, winning 7-4. The rubber game is scheduled for Sunday @ 12:30 PM. Marshall has a 3-game series with St. Johns ( Big East) in Huntington starting March 5 with all games scheduled around the noon hour. WELCOME them home with a good turnout.....

Reactions: HERD_Rich
All being said, it will be interesting to see if, as rumored, MLB takes over TV broadcasting rights like the NFL has, making TV media revenue distribution, during the regular season, equal among all 30 teams. If that does happen, a push for a league salary cap (minimum and maximum spending) might begin to gain traction.
That would be the biggest change in baseball since they did away with the reserve clause. The reason that a team is a "big market" or a "small market" is because of how much money it gets from the regional sports networks. That is it. Everything else is pretty much equal already.

That model is failing. Not that long ago, "everybody" had cable, and thus "everybody" paid, and paid dearly (it is one of the most expensive channels) for the RSN. While it is, in most places, the most popular channel during baseball season, every night, that is still just 2 or 3% of people watching it, there being 1000s of channels now.

Streaming has changed that. People can opt out of paying for the RSN. The two largest RSN chains, Bally's and AT&T (neither belong to those companies, the labels are sponsorship) will file for bankruptcy before opening day.

If MLB actually has a single national deal for all the games, then it is just like the NFL. Every team has a chance.

*2023 World Series Champion Mets.

And just wait until we get Ohtani for next year. I caught over 30 of their away games last year. I am gunning for 45 away games this season.
I get the animosity fans may have for the Mets or other big spending teams. Thing is we've suffered enough disappointments thru the years I'm not apologizing for finally having an owner who is willing to spend money. Regardless of market size Cincy deserves better ownership and product. LFGM

That would be the biggest change in baseball since they did away with the reserve clause. The reason that a team is a "big market" or a "small market" is because of how much money it gets from the regional sports networks. That is it. Everything else is pretty much equal already.

That model is failing. Not that long ago, "everybody" had cable, and thus "everybody" paid, and paid dearly (it is one of the most expensive channels) for the RSN. While it is, in most places, the most popular channel during baseball season, every night, that is still just 2 or 3% of people watching it, there being 1000s of channels now.

Streaming has changed that. People can opt out of paying for the RSN. The two largest RSN chains, Bally's and AT&T (neither belong to those companies, the labels are sponsorship) will file for bankruptcy before opening day.

If MLB actually has a single national deal for all the games, then it is just like the NFL. Every team has a chance.
You actually expanded a bit more on what I was saying... Sinclair Broadcasting who sold the naming rights to Bally seems to be the main culprit. Currently they aren't technically ready when it comes to any kind of revenue generating streaming platform, thus the only way they can recoup the 10 billion they paid Walt Disney only a few years ago for the various regional sports networks is thru cable fees... With people cutting the cord those fees are drying up.

The Atlanta Braves are one of the teams who have been stuck in a crappy Sinclair/Bally deal for years! You would think that being owned by a large media conglomerate like Liberty Media, they would have one of the better deals, but a long-term deal was signed years ago, when Time Warner did the stock swap with Liberty, one they are still trying to get out of. Fortunately, The Braves have been able to overcome the media income deficiency by building their own Ballpark, and a year-round entertainment complex called The Battery, which is printing money.

The future for Marshall basketball and baseball are bright.

What evidence is there that the future of both are bright? With basketball, I give big creds to Kinsey for his year this season but what is this, his 10th year? Even with a weak schedule again next year, will we be better or even close? The one thing I will give credit to D’Antoni for is keeping this group together with no transfer attrition in the off-season. But programs with a bright future can stand to lose their seniors year after year and what proof do we have Marshall is able to do that next year?

With baseball, yeah it could be, but how do we really know at this point?

P.S. I hope you’re right.

Reactions: The Real SamC
I get the animosity fans may have for the Mets or other big spending teams. Thing is we've suffered enough disappointments thru the years I'm not apologizing for finally having an owner who is willing to spend money. Regardless of market size Cincy deserves better ownership and product. LFGM
As a Braves fan I have no problem with the Mets spending spree, it's refreshing to see a new owner come in and try to improve his team. Come October we'll see if spending all those millions was a good investment. I totally agree with you on Cincy, you could also throw in a few other proud franchises like Baltimore, and my favorite team as a kid the Pittsburgh Pirates.

50 % of the threads on this forum devolve into areas that were not the original intent.

What evidence is there that the future of both are bright? With basketball, I give big creds to Kinsey for his year this season but what is this, his 10th year? Even with a weak schedule again next year, will we be better or even close? The one thing I will give credit to D’Antoni for is keeping this group together with no transfer attrition in the off-season. But programs with a bright future can stand to lose their seniors year after year and what proof do we have Marshall is able to do that next year?

With baseball, yeah it could be, but how do we really know at this point?

P.S. I hope you’re right.
The schedule was not as weak as you may surmise and next year who knows now good the teams and the teams in the conference can be? We will need to bring in a fast and good guard. But unlike many on here want to say Dan does a great job in developing players.

If you go back and look at the thread title it was "No Talk About Baseball?" So I'm thinking all topics concerning Baseball are encouraged?
Ikr haha. Agree about finding out in October in your other comment. Can't believe I'm agreeing with a Braves fan here haha. At a minimum Cohen is buying hope for us Mets. The type hope that building an on campus baseball field would do for Marshall. (To come full circle 😄)

Reactions: Herd-in-ATL
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT