ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue game

Ok, that tweet may reach 5000 fans who follow MU on twitter. Will it be promoted in the media? If so, hopefully not just the week before the game. Hope they get the word out. Looking forward to the game.

Reactions: Mike Gwinn
It's just a sad day when the university has to urge the fan base to wear kelly green to a football game...I'm always disappointed with how many people wear red, purple, orange, camo, etc. to the games. Come on people, get a clue...even if you have to take a page from the Ears Fan Book and get the $10.00 special t-shirt from Walzmart. This could even be this start of a worthwhile tradition...wearing team colors to a sporting event...what a concept!!!

Ok, that tweet may reach 5000 fans who follow MU on twitter. Will it be promoted in the media? If so, hopefully not just the week before the game. Hope they get the word out. Looking forward to the game.

Do MU fans really need someone telling them to wear Green for games??

A little communication??? its 2015, there is posters, ads on the Herdzone website, its says it on the tickets to the game, there is twitter and facebook posts. What else is there needed to be done to tell you to wear green to the game

Reactions: RedParallax
With so much white, gray, black and non-kelly shades of green Herd gear out there it doesn't hurt to encourage fans to wear kelly, specifically.

I too hope we announce our game promotions soon and local retailers get on board to make game/promo specific shirts in the official shade of Marshall kelly green.

Right now, because of the 2015 schedule posters, we know Marshall is urging fans to wear as much kelly green as possible for the Purdue game. The name of the promo is "15 Green Acres". We also know the anniversary game against FIU in November is a Black Out. So that's two games where fans are being directed to wear a specific color as part of the game promotion.

Last edited:
I have to agree with 31herd55. I am AMAZED at the lack of people who wear no Kelly green at all, and are wearing steelers gear of something similar, or just a jacket.

I agree 100% even if you need to go walEERmart and buy a 10.00 Kelly green herd shirt, then DO IT! Quit wearing your pro teams crap. I'll give the eerbillys this, at least they will invest in their 10.00 yellow shirt and 15.00 hoodie at Walmart to be a fan.

This team, this coach, this AD, DESERVE a fan base that supports with proper colors.

Buy some Kelly Green Herd gear! Wear it!

A little communication??? its 2015, there is posters, ads on the Herdzone website, its says it on the tickets to the game, there is twitter and facebook posts. What else is there needed to be done to tell you to wear green to the game

You do realize that only a small portion of our fan base peruses the message boards, twitter, Herdzone, etc? Our fan base is still reading the HD and Gagette, watching WSAZ, etc. Thats the disconnect MU has with its fans. If its on the tickets, thats cool but only our 13K plus season tix holders see the tix well before the game.
For these "promotions" to be successful you have to plan well ahead of time, announce it well ahead of time and pound it into the fan bases heads. If MU isn't willing to do that, then they can't complain when only a small portion of fans actually participate.

I am with you, we all should have a habit of wearing kelly green on Saturdays; but again, not all MU fans are on these boards and tuned in like those of us.

How long does it take to go to the nearest retailer in WV during game week and buy a $10 shirt. You're coming up with excuses and honestly I am not trying to hear it. Its a simple concept wear Kelly green to the game and stay all 4 quarters. Its so simple most schools who strive for the big time follows it

I personally wear either Kelly or White to every game. Since I know in advance, I will gladly wear my green shirt for Purdue and save my white jersey for the next game... This is not an overly complicated endeavor.

How long does it take to go to the nearest retailer in WV during game week and buy a $10 shirt. You're coming up with excuses and honestly I am not trying to hear it. Its a simple concept wear Kelly green to the game and stay all 4 quarters. Its so simple most schools who strive for the big time follows it

My question is will there be about the same amount of Kelly green out in the West Lot at the the kickoff and throughout much of the first half as there is in the Joan???

LOL! Indeed I am. Don't make me rant again go out and buy some Kelly green and wear it to the game!!! LOL!

Really though it's embarassing to think fans at a school that riots and burns couches in drunken revelry after each game can at least find a yellow shirt to wear to a game, and 2/3rds of our fans can't.

Schools
My question is will there be about the same amount of Kelly green out in the West Lot at the the kickoff and throughout much of the first half as there is in the Joan???

Uh oh, you hit a nerve now. Lol!

Is everyone really that oblivious that there might be other colors to wear other than kelly green but can still support Marshall?

Maybe like white... or black... or gray...?

This is just a promotion to designate people to not wear white, gray, or black and just wear kelly green and it will be printed on the tickets.

Soooo...

People on this board complained that Marshall 'doesn't communicate to its fans'
They send something out like this...
The same fans then complain that its awful Marshall has to communicate to its fans regarding what to wear?

I have to applaud everyone on this thread for actually thinking.

Problem is, you are thinking too hard into this.

Its simple...WEAR KELLY GREEN!

The first problem is that every company has a "Kelly" green that's a different color. Not to mention how many OLD greens we had. People wearing shirts from different periods in the last 20 years. It doesn't matter that most people wear green, because it still looks like a mess. At this point, I'd rather see everyone focus on filling the place up over worrying about what color everyone wears. First things first. Fix the rest later.

Reactions: WV_Celt
The first problem is that every company has a "Kelly" green that's a different color. Not to mention how many OLD greens we had. People wearing shirts from different periods in the last 20 years. It doesn't matter that most people wear green, because it still looks like a mess. At this point, I'd rather see everyone focus on filling the place up over worrying about what color everyone wears. First things first. Fix the rest later.

Uhm...no.

On a wide view from a TV camera, those shades would blend in and not matter.

Reactions: NoPuntIntended
It all comes back to communication to ALL area fans. Most MU fans aren't on these boards or on twitter, snapchat, Herdzone.com, etc. Regardless of how bad you think that is, it is fact. Many of our older fans need a little reminder and they get their MU news from the HD, WSAZ, etc. I don't see a damn problem of putting ads in the paper, radio or tv in the coming weeks before a game to promote a kelly green out. Ideally, we shouldn't have to do it but Huntington is not Columbus, Happy Valley, etc.
The only G5 school that I have seen having total success with something like this is ECU. But I dont make it a point to look these things up. I'll be there in kelly green - as usual.

That said, our AD is doing a much better job with this stuff, game tix promos, etc. than just a few short years ago. Kudos to them for being proactive and stepping up.

I just wish our fans would always wear kelly green. Even if varying shades of kelly green it looks blended into one color like OVERHERD and other said. If you go to UK, they all wear blue with some speckling of white, if you go to Tennessee all you see is Orange, if you go to OSU all you see is Scarlet. I just think our fans should do the same with Green. Our color looks tremendous and if our fans always wore green it would look great. I like the "special games" like the black out and think that needs marketed but honestly...we should all show up in Green for every game.

I just know when I go on the road or to a bowl game...all the Kelly Green looks tremendous and stands out. So why not every game our fans show up in green and look nice. I have white, grey and black shirts as well but on game day...it is green for me unless a white or blackout.

Reactions: HerdFan1971

Even 100 different shades of GREEN is better in the stands than 100 other different colors.

Reactions: pj(HN)

Your post basically is 'give up' which is what WV has done since their inception as a state.

So...minus all of the marketing of new Marshall gear from hist about all vendors, the city-wide awareness of Glenns moving as well as just the overall tracking of football, allowing fans to prepare for the game...oh and the announcement from Hamrick as well as the listing of wear Kelly Green on the ticket and schedule...you automatically assume people will fail...and give up before its even tried.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT