ADVERTISEMENT

Sportingnews has Doc #1

Funny how extra vanished for a whole q loss season...and emerges with not actual praise but nothing negative either...as though we forget what he said when we were bad.

#fairweather

Let's see the last 2 years 1-1 in conference championship games with 2 dominate Bowl victories, I guess he is on pace.

Look once again Pruett was handed a championship caliber team that had 1A talent already on the roster. Doc was handed a program that was worse then shit. A team filled with descent, thieves, people that didn't care about football or Marshall, no leadership, no drive, potheads, gamblers, and alcoholics, team cliques and no team unity, and a place where losing was accepted in the locker room. Pruett just had to keep the machine oiled, while Doc had to refurbish the whole damn program.

That's in the past. We are not starting the benchmark when Doc took the job. We are starting to compare the 2 coaches with a season of Doc's where he won the East, won the conference championship, won a bowl game, and finished ranked in the top 25. With the best talent ever at Marshall. Is there another time you'd like to start comparing the 2 coaches?

I'm just going to guess you didn't watch college football last year, I mean you went missing the entire season unless it was to bash Doc or bash certain moments of games. Never was you around when things was going good

"How is it more difficult to move up in rankings?" Care to answer the question?

I guess Doc got the job 2 years ago. And how is it more difficult...... ECU beat to p5 schools last year and the highest they rose was 20th before they started losing. We almost went the entire season undefeated before we wa ranked. It took so long I didn't care about the CFP anymore. Like I said the AP and Coaches poll is irrelevant now.

But the last 2 years Doc is 23-5 1-1 in conference championships and 2 dominating bowl victories. I guess he is on the way to catching "The Quitter"

My 2 cents:

BP was and is a great ambassador for our school. Great coach and motivator. I don't know much about the circumstances behind his departure other than what I've read here, but either way he's still around and for that reason alone I don't hold it against him. BP had the misfortune of surviving through the Kayo administration, which couldn't have been easy.

Doc has done EXACTLY what we needed of him, which is turn our shitass program around. Even if he leaves tomorrow he's made his mark. He works his tail off without question. Certainly his brand of "motivation" is different than BP's, in that he will play the best player regardless of class or HS star rating garbage. Players know there's someone else competing for their job and I believe it shows.

I think for all intents and purposes 90s MAC and current CUSA are at least comparable. You can quibble about it but they're close enough.

I think a more interesting hypothetical is what would have either coach done if placed in the same circumstance? For instance, had BP taken over after Snyder instead of Doc, do you think we are in the same position we are today? I personally do not.

My 2 cents:

BP was and is a great ambassador for our school. Great coach and motivator. I don't know much about the circumstances behind his departure other than what I've read here, but either way he's still around and for that reason alone I don't hold it against him. BP had the misfortune of surviving through the Kayo administration, which couldn't have been easy.

Doc has done EXACTLY what we needed of him, which is turn our shitass program around. Even if he leaves tomorrow he's made his mark. He works his tail off without question. Certainly his brand of "motivation" is different than BP's, in that he will play the best player regardless of class or HS star rating garbage. Players know there's someone else competing for their job and I believe it shows.

I think for all intents and purposes 90s MAC and current CUSA are at least comparable. You can quibble about it but they're close enough.

I think a more interesting hypothetical is what would have either coach done if placed in the same circumstance? For instance, had BP taken over after Snyder instead of Doc, do you think we are in the same position we are today? I personally do not.

I think Bob would've managed to have a winning season in year 5. Marshall transitioned to a conference that was essentially a step up from what we'd been used to.

With the way he recruited to close out his career and the non-recruiting effort at UVA, I highly doubt it. College football especially recruiting is different then it was in the 90s and early 2000s

With the way he recruited to close out his career and the non-recruiting effort at UVA, I highly doubt it. College football especially recruiting is different then it was in the 90s and early 2000s

non-recruiting effort? he went to UVA for on reason only: to get one more year as a state employee so that he could earn pension in that state. his best friend, the head coach, was aware of that.

and he hardly quit as you keep saying. he used the threat of quitting in an attempt to scare the powers into keeping their promises of what they assured him he would get to help the program. he didnt think they would call his bluff. he had no intentions of truly quitting. he was trying to use his success and popularity into holding the administration accountable for not following through on their promises. it backfired on him, but calling him a quitter is far from the truth.

Reactions: mlblack16
Rifle if he wasn't a quitter and he just needed 1 year of employment to get his pension, he could have just announced he was retiring at the end of the 2005 season and gone out the right way. Instead he up and ran himself off right before spring practice a month after bringing in a signing class. We was left to hire a coach who wasn't ready to a head coach all because he played at Marshall. He quit no matter how anyone spins it

And nobody is denying he wasn't granted promises but what kind of message are you passing along to young men that if your not getting your way, just quit and leave everyone out to dry

Until Doc meets the benchmarks that pruett set, (the benchmarks I posted earlier) all comparisons between the 2 coaches are no more than conjecture from the BP critics. Good luck to Doc, he will probably need it. Here's hoping he does.

Rifle if he wasn't a quitter and he just needed 1 year of employment to get his pension, he could have just announced he was retiring at the end of the 2005 season and gone out the right way. Instead he up and ran himself off right before spring practice a month after bringing in a signing class. We was left to hire a coach who wasn't ready to a head coach all because he played at Marshall. He quit no matter how anyone spins it

Fever, go back and read my post another dozen times so you can understand it.

He didn't leave to go get another state pension. That was the aftermath of the Marshall situation.

He didn't plan on leaving Marshall. He tried using the threat of his departure to get what he was promised. He didn't think the administration would be foolish enough to just let him go and watch the program tumble instead of just keeping their word. They called his bluff.

It isn't teaching young men anything because his true intention wasn't to quit at that time, so that comment has no relevance.

But did he or did he not eventually quit? Did he not high tail it when he didnt get what he promised. Did he not leave in the middle of winter workouts??? And yes he left a bad image of quitting when things didnt go his way. Spin it however you want, but the truth is truth he quit on the program because he didnt get his way

Actually, the MU administration quit on us. They lied. What kind of example is that?

Fever I have to say I have been told from a reliable source that BP threatened to quit to get his way. He gave a resignation letter to Kayo and returned the next day to change the decision. Kayo said too late. So I guess technically he quit even though he wasn't trying to. If that version of the story is true.Looks like Marcum screwed us on that one.

Fever, go back and read my post another dozen times so you can understand it.

He didn't leave to go get another state pension. That was the aftermath of the Marshall situation.

He didn't plan on leaving Marshall. He tried using the threat of his departure to get what he was promised. He didn't think the administration would be foolish enough to just let him go and watch the program tumble instead of just keeping their word. They called his bluff.

It isn't teaching young men anything because his true intention wasn't to quit at that time, so that comment has no relevance.

I don't know anything about the pension deal, but this is accurate regarding Pruetts departure.

The administration had become complacent with our success, and had stopped investing in the football program. We had come off a string of several years of top 25 football, and we had FCS facilities with nothing but empty talk taking place regarding upgrades.

Pruett made had play, and the powers that be decided to call the bluff and send him on his way so we could bring in Snyder. Chew on that one for a bit.

Pruett didn't quit on the program, Pruett did what he did FOR the program. And once it fell through, he kept quiet about it and allowed his own image to be tarnished, again, for the program.

Reactions: ohio herd
But did he or did he not eventually quit? Did he not high tail it when he didnt get what he promised. Did he not leave in the middle of winter workouts??? And yes he left a bad image of quitting when things didnt go his way. Spin it however you want, but the truth is truth he quit on the program because he didnt get his way

He didn't. And it isn't a spin. I don't k ow how I can dumb it down and explain it any better than I already have.

My 2 cents:

This is probably expresses my take on BP & Coach Holliday better than any. BP was what was needed during his time, to the point where he should've been considered one of the best in CFB. Coach Holliday had to do a complete gut & rehab job.

Like I said the Administration didn't deliver there promises and Bobby P up and quit on the team trying to make a power move. And if I was a manager and I had an employee who handed me his resignation later, I would have called his bluff too. I wouldn't call him "The Quitter" if he would have retired at the end of the 2005 season

Like I said the Administration didn't deliver there promises and Bobby P up and quit on the team trying to make a power move. And if I was a manager and I had an employee who handed me his resignation later, I would have called his bluff too. I wouldn't call him "The Quitter" if he would have retired at the end of the 2005 season

Everyone is tickled to death that the administration thought exactly like you do about Pruett. Because there's nothing like 8 consecutive years of non winning regular seasons that prove how right that decision was.

It's obvious your not comprehending what I am saying. I don't care about the lack of support by Kayo and Angel. What I am saying is at the end of the day Pruett QUIT on his troops because he didn't get what he wanted and tried to use his fame to force the administrations hands. He quit and there is no way to spin it. And like I said if he would have just announced his retirement at the end of the 2005 season and allowed the school to actually search for a real coach after the 2005 season we probably wouldn't have had 4 consecutive losing seasons(Snyder went 6-6 his fifth and final year)

It's obvious your not comprehending what I am saying. I don't care about the lack of support by Kayo and Angel. What I am saying is at the end of the day Pruett QUIT on his troops because he didn't get what he wanted and tried to use his fame to force the administrations hands. He quit and there is no way to spin it. And like I said if he would have just announced his retirement at the end of the 2005 season and allowed the school to actually search for a real coach after the 2005 season we probably wouldn't have had 4 consecutive losing seasons(Snyder went 6-6 his fifth and final year)

Everyone is tickled to death that the administration thought exactly like you do about Pruett. Because there's nothing like 8 consecutive years of non winning regular seasons that prove how right that decision was.

I'll take Pruett as coach, you can have the administration he worked under at MU.

You'd make a great administrator.

Once again, Where have I let the administration off the hook??? I see a year away didn't improve your reading comprehension skills. Pruett still quit on his players because he didn't get his way. HE QUIT A WEEK BEFORE SPRING PRACTICE......QUIT!!!! Get it in your head, he Q.....U......I.....T

And FYI Kayo and Angel did more harm then good here nobody is denying that but when you hand in a resignation letter then turn around and try to rescind it, kick rocks. It would happen in any working environment in America. And like I said if he felt the way he did, he should have announced he was retiring at the end of the 2005 season. Not just us and quit a week before spring practice

Fever, you're just too dumb to understand.

Pruett had no real intention of quitting. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

If he had no real intention on quitting, he should have never put in a resignation letter. There is many ways you can express your dislike then a resignation letter. But despite what you say, he did have intent. So continue to spin away, still not changing my views of him quitting because he didn't get his way

This is probably expresses my take on BP & Coach Holliday better than any. BP was what was needed during his time, to the point where he should've been considered one of the best in CFB. Coach Holliday had to do a complete gut & rehab job.
Yeah, I think we were lucky to get each coach when we did.

Bob was a better gameday coach and was given a team ready to thrive.
Doc is a better program builder and was given a program needing to be built.

I don't think Doc would have had Bob's success in the 90s and I don't think Bob would be able to build what Doc has from the ground up. They are different styles of coaches.

If he had no real intention on quitting, he should have never put in a resignation letter. There is many ways you can express your dislike then a resignation letter. But despite what you say, he did have intent. So continue to spin away, still not changing my views of him quitting because he didn't get his way

Because I'm sure the resignation was the first attempt he'd made to find resolution.

You keep saying "getting what he wants" like he was some prima-Donna holding out for more money or making unreasonable demands. All he "wanted" were the facilities etc that were going to be necessary to compete. Things that were promised, money was allocated, and then taken away.

Because I'm sure the resignation was the first attempt he'd made to find resolution.

You keep saying "getting what he wants" like he was some prima-Donna holding out for more money or making unreasonable demands. All he "wanted" were the facilities etc that were going to be necessary to compete. Things that were promised, money was allocated, and then taken away.

So because those things happened, you up and quit before spring ball and after you sign a recruiting class??

So because those things happened, you up and quit before spring ball and after you sign a recruiting class??

And because you lied to the coach and fans, and charged us an addition to ticket prices, you make up for it by letting the most accomplished football coach in Herd history just walk out the door. Great move.

And because you lied to the coach and fans, and charged us an addition to ticket prices, you make up for it by letting the most accomplished football coach in Herd history just walk out the door. Great move.

To add, they didn't even "let" him walk out the door. They FORCED him out the door. Nothing was public it could have all been kept confidential, but they forced him out for Snyder.

To add, they didn't even "let" him walk out the door. They FORCED him out the door. Nothing was public it could have all been kept confidential, but they forced him out for Snyder.

Then that decision by the admin has to be near the top of the stupid list

So 10 years later he was forced out while I been calling him a quitter on Herdnation for about as long but now it comes he was forced out.

And why do you care about ticket prices, you haven't been to a game in years

Please Extra let's not act like you know anything at all. Truth of the matter is he quit in the first place

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT