ADVERTISEMENT

The G5

UCF beat Baylor who was #4 in the Fiesta two yrs back. But look where they are now. This has been my point all along. Yes they have 4 or 5 team with talent THIS yr. But they were 3rd LAST yr. UCF proving that nothing can be taken for granted.

Shoe can spew all he wants about how great Memphis and the AAC are...only to forget how easily all of them could end up NOT playing in an access bowl.

Only one gets in, and it has to be the champion. Imagine a cough up loss for Temple, likely the lone East representative...with Navy, Memphis, and Houston in the West division. The West is going to beat itself up...their rep may have 2 losses making it very possible the AAC champion misses out on the access bowl...

So all that work...for nothing...

I listened to Aresco on Sirius...he seemed very passionate about the AAC, despite the blunder of the defectors...then he was laughed at by the radio guys since the AAC is literally a bunch of nobody's. None of the teams are anything special. This year? Sure. Over their tenure as a program? Nope. Does anyone know what team from the AAC has actually been in a BCS game? Cincy...and they were in the old BE and were absolutely destroyed by Florida. UConn is the next one, which was bashed horrendously and deservedly so since OU took care of them. Those are about the only programs with any sort of real accomplishment and it came when the conference was somewhat more difficult...and one of them is more associated with basketball.
The media hype about Temple, if you listen carefully, said "Temple has never beaten a team from Indiana in their footballs history..." also, "The last time Temple was ranked..." it was a loooong time ago. Basically making the notion that Temple was absolutely irrelevant forbthe last 50 years.
Point is, the AAC brags about their recent successes, and yes, they have had success this season, but their coaches are all heading to better places, student and fan support remained par at best, and really, none of the programs have maintained themselves enough to make the conference legitimate. As much as I hate Boise, they at least had TCU as well, who helped them maintain the MWC's identity for a while...but even that identity is fleeting, especially since TCU barely even associates itself with the MWC now being not only in, but really good, in the Big 12.
The AAC is doing well this year, but to make them out like they're something incredible, is pushing the limit...and their lack of credibility in terms of where their programs stand is going to hurt their chances with the CFPC...no exceptions are going to be made...one single champion gets the nid, and that, as I said, is still not even certain.
Except the AAC did take the schools from CUSA that had been the most consistent winners and had won the most championships ( Southern Miss excluded) So they do have a group of schools that are used to winning on a regular basis. They also have the highest attendance of any of the G5. Temple lost yesterday, but remained ranked in the coaches poll. I think they speaks to the competition level that some perceive exists in the league.

In addition to having schools that had been at the top of the CUSA food chain in football, they also have some good basketball schools which keep the AAC rep going in the winter and spring.

The biggest advantage the league has right now is its media contract. Playing on tv, ESPN, every week really boost the brand of the teams. Recruits want to be on tv. Last night's game on ABC was an American Conference Production. That big A was seen by lots of people during the course of the Notre Dame Game. That means a great deal in brand recognition.

I do agree that they will most likely lose good coaches this year. I suspect though the schools will try to reload like they did when the hired people like Rhule and Fuente. Aresco markets the heck of that league and has great tv connection within the industry. Having a year like this one certainly helps in finding coaches to go coach for the AAC teams.

Time will tell.

Except the AAC did take the schools from CUSA that had been the most consistent winners and had won the most championships ( Southern Miss excluded) So they do have a group of schools that are used to winning on a regular basis. They also have the highest attendance of any of the G5. Temple lost yesterday, but remained ranked in the coaches poll. I think they speaks to the competition level that some perceive exists in the league.

In addition to having schools that had been at the top of the CUSA food chain in football, they also have some good basketball schools which keep the AAC rep going in the winter and spring.

The biggest advantage the league has right now is its media contract. Playing on tv, ESPN, every week really boost the brand of the teams. Recruits want to be on tv. Last night's game on ABC was an American Conference Production. That big A was seen by lots of people during the course of the Notre Dame Game. That means a great deal in brand recognition.

I do agree that they will most likely lose good coaches this year. I suspect though the schools will try to reload like they did when the hired people like Rhule and Fuente. Aresco markets the heck of that league and has great tv connection within the industry. Having a year like this one certainly helps in finding coaches to go coach for the AAC teams.

Time will tell.

I honestly could not tell you who won the conference since its inception. UCF probably did at some point...and look at them now.

My point is, the level of which this conference is playing, currently, is good, but its not enough to sustain itself and will soon lose its appeal. Lets not forget, once some traditional powers are back, the media and ESPN will back them again, simply because of their name brand.

You said this was a great time for marketing the AAC...yes it is, for a single year...which is going to regress back. Hell, look at how that has happened to UCF versus someone like Nebraska. Nebraska could suck for another 10 years and still gain more support and generate more money than UCF could...that flash in the pan for about 5 years for UCF? The stadium is back to being a rusting Erector set.

Oh and ESPN is slumlording it up...they're putting the teams on the weekdays where they can barely break half full stadiums, making the place look really bad on TV. I'm in dart league and I'm usually drunk while those games are on...mainly as filler for sports and its difficult now with the NHL, NBA, and even some mainstream sitcoms.
Slumlording is perfect because ESPN is putting enough emphasis on the school because they are showing it...but they aren't going to financially commit to them, nor will they listen to their wishes of wanting to be more known in placing them on a weekend unless its against someone they value more.
I'm going to guess Temple's only 2 sellouts this season were against PSU and ND...which, happen to be, on saturdays...and no way in Hell, does ESPN dare make either of those two, play on a thursday or friday night against such a horrid team like Temple...never have, likely never will.

As I said, all of the good schools in the AAC are going to lose their coaches and lose their players, the schools do not have the appeal as others and even being the best of the G5 isn't really going to help.

Reactions: The Real SamC
And they also took Memphis, Tulane and SMU who didn't compete well vs the Herd. Houston lost both games in Huntington as we did out there. Tulsa, UCF, ECU the only consistent challengers for league title. This while we mostly were Snyder under coached teams. 59-28 vs ECU their last yr. You could never convince me its all about winning.

Shoe can spew all he wants about how great Memphis and the AAC are...only to forget how easily all of them could end up NOT playing in an access bowl.

Only one gets in, and it has to be the champion. Imagine a cough up loss for Temple, likely the lone East representative...with Navy, Memphis, and Houston in the West division. The West is going to beat itself up...their rep may have 2 losses making it very possible the AAC champion misses out on the access bowl...

So all that work...for nothing...

I listened to Aresco on Sirius...he seemed very passionate about the AAC, despite the blunder of the defectors...then he was laughed at by the radio guys since the AAC is literally a bunch of nobody's. None of the teams are anything special. This year? Sure. Over their tenure as a program? Nope. Does anyone know what team from the AAC has actually been in a BCS game? Cincy...and they were in the old BE and were absolutely destroyed by Florida. UConn is the next one, which was bashed horrendously and deservedly so since OU took care of them. Those are about the only programs with any sort of real accomplishment and it came when the conference was somewhat more difficult...and one of them is more associated with basketball.
The media hype about Temple, if you listen carefully, said "Temple has never beaten a team from Indiana in their footballs history..." also, "The last time Temple was ranked..." it was a loooong time ago. Basically making the notion that Temple was absolutely irrelevant forbthe last 50 years.
Point is, the AAC brags about their recent successes, and yes, they have had success this season, but their coaches are all heading to better places, student and fan support remained par at best, and really, none of the programs have maintained themselves enough to make the conference legitimate. As much as I hate Boise, they at least had TCU as well, who helped them maintain the MWC's identity for a while...but even that identity is fleeting, especially since TCU barely even associates itself with the MWC now being not only in, but really good, in the Big 12.
The AAC is doing well this year, but to make them out like they're something incredible, is pushing the limit...and their lack of credibility in terms of where their programs stand is going to hurt their chances with the CFPC...no exceptions are going to be made...one single champion gets the nid, and that, as I said, is still not even certain.

Fortunately, I have never "spewed" in my life...... I've been pretty consistent on my comments about AAC, Memphis, Temple and Houston....and Toledo for that matter. I've said all along that the AAC nightmare is that their schedules place them all as playing their toughest conference games late in the year. It will be very difficult for any of them to finish undefeated, but if one does, they will be odds on for the Access slot.....although I still believe an undefeated Toledo should be strong in the discussion.

I've been pretty consistent on my comments about AAC, Memphis, Temple and Houston....and Toledo for that matter.

Do what? How does one stay consistent when Arseco cannot keep his story straight? How many different spews has he made since the "great realignment" began. Going to keep the (always undeserved) BcS slot. Going to get Boise State and San Diego State and Air Force. Going to dominate the "group of 5". Really it is a "power 6" or maybe a "power 5 and a half". Spew after spew.

But as to this "toughest conference games" quote? Do what? So you knew when THE AMERICAN!!!!!! schedule was made up, years ago, which of the cupcakes was going to have a random good year in 2015? Really?

Do what? How does one stay consistent when Arseco cannot keep his story straight? How many different spews has he made since the "great realignment" began. Going to keep the (always undeserved) BcS slot. Going to get Boise State and San Diego State and Air Force. Going to dominate the "group of 5". Really it is a "power 6" or maybe a "power 5 and a half". Spew after spew.

But as to this "toughest conference games" quote? Do what? So you knew when THE AMERICAN!!!!!! schedule was made up, years ago, which of the cupcakes was going to have a random good year in 2015? Really?

At least this time you wrote as an expert!!! Spewing is the one thing that you are definitely and EXPERT!!!! on. And Sam, keep throwing out the predictions and you'll eventually get one right..... the blind squirrel theory, you know.

Aresco is just doing his job, he is paid to boost the AAC and be it's voice and face. He had Boise, just couldn't keep them (and it would have never made sense for them....... much like WVU in the Big XII, except without all the money to offset the expense). Mike has made mistakes and missteps for sure, but all in all, he's doing a good job and he has his league going in the right direction. Britton was wrong many times too, you know.....does anyone remember the ill-fated merger of the MWC and CUSA, sounded good sure, but was built on NCAA assumptions that never had a chance of happening.

So WVU got a Big12 invite because the Big12 had no other choice?

Sure

WVU got a Big12 invite because of success on the field, attendance, TV market (people making that decision are not idiots) alum in Pittsburgh, DC, Baltimore, and a National brand.

Marshall has some of those things going for it but needs to have better success on the field. Go to (BCS) bowls and win, schedule big time programs.

One of Marshall's biggest problems when it comes to moving up is basketball. This was a big factor for WVU because WVU brought a good product in both football and basketball. And even if some of you choose not to accept it basketball does matter. Millions of eyeballs on TV sets during March Madness.

I would be willing to bet if Marshall was going to the NCAA tournament year in year out with a top 25 basketball program they would be strongly considered for conference expansion.

And for the delusional people talking about WVU being a bottom feeder. 3 years in the Big12 already wins over Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Kansas, and Iowa State. The only teams WVU has not beaten in 3-4 tries is Oklahoma and Kansas State.

It takes alot to make a jump like that and so far so good. Marshall will be in for the same thing if it moves up to AAC.

And Marshall should if you can because its what is best for Marshall.

So WVU got a Big12 invite because the Big12 had no other choice?

Sure

WVU got a Big12 invite because of success on the field, attendance, TV market (people making that decision are not idiots) alum in Pittsburgh, DC, Baltimore, and a National brand.

Marshall has some of those things going for it but needs to have better success on the field. Go to (BCS) bowls and win, schedule big time programs.

One of Marshall's biggest problems when it comes to moving up is basketball. This was a big factor for WVU because WVU brought a good product in both football and basketball. And even if some of you choose not to accept it basketball does matter. Millions of eyeballs on TV sets during March Madness.

I would be willing to bet if Marshall was going to the NCAA tournament year in year out with a top 25 basketball program they would be strongly considered for conference expansion.

And for the delusional people talking about WVU being a bottom feeder. 3 years in the Big12 already wins over Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Kansas, and Iowa State. The only teams WVU has not beaten in 3-4 tries is Oklahoma and Kansas State.

It takes alot to make a jump like that and so far so good. Marshall will be in for the same thing if it moves up to AAC.

And Marshall should if you can because its what is best for Marshall.

WVU is just good enough to be barely better than Texas Tech, Kansas, and Iowa State

did that dude just use wins over TTU, Kansas, and Iowa State as proof wVu will be successful in the Big 12?

bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaah

next up, why beating Temple, Rutgers, and Boston College resulted in wVu dominating the real Big East...

did that dude just use wins over TTU, Kansas, and Iowa State as proof wVu will be successful in the Big 12?

bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaah

next up, why beating Temple, Rutgers, and Boston College resulted in wVu dominating the real Big East...
Actually I think he included wins over TCU, Baylor, Texas, and OSU to bolster his argument in addition to Texas Tech, Kansas and Iowa State. Actually it is impressive that they have beaten everyone in the league but Oklahoma and K-State in a short period of time. They just aren't good enough to do it consistently

Yeah maybe they can selectively take wins from each year. That way they'll only be a 2 loss team! What a great idea!

Remember 11-1 is "undefeated".

The revisionist history of the Great Realignment, relative to WVU goes something like this:

WVU was selected to join this Big 12 because of its exceptional fans, etc.
WVU is getting unique money from this "third tier" deal.
WVU is competitive in the Big 12.
Just look at the AAC and its seas of empty seats and G5 status, if WVU had stayed in the AAC that is what we would be.

Reality, for those of us we were alive and paying attention to sports business just a few years ago know:

Texas (with a cash accommodation to Oklahoma) started this, unique among all conferences, deal where it had its own network and significant "third tier" rights.
Every team with a choice (TAMU, Colorado, Mizzou, Nebraska) told Texas to shove it and moved on (moved up). Leaving Texas with slots to fill. It looked for months before finding Ollie.
Others (Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, Maryland, so on) kept their powder dry and ended up in a much better places. Fact is the geographically logic conferences did not want WVU, because of the tiny market and fickle fairweathered fans, not to mention the academics.
WVU, due to market size and fan interest, gets less from the "third tier" rights than the other programs.
The league was supposed to be the "Big 2, Little 8", settled between Texas and Oklahoma 9 years out of 10, but Texas made a generationally stupid hire and Oklahoma is down and the current situation exists. Eventually this will go away and normality will return.
In any event, WVU cannot compete at the major level, and has been playing for 5th in this league. WVU can never compete at that level and will ALWAYS be playing for 5th. In a random year, it will beat one or two of the good teams. Rah, rah, rah.
And this is the point. If Ollie had had the sense to stay in the AAC, the mind numbed robots of Spamland would be arguing, right now, all of Arseco's spew. It is a "6th major". It is the "best of the G5". Blah, blah, blah.

Remember 11-1 is "undefeated".

The revisionist history of the Great Realignment, relative to WVU goes something like this:

WVU was selected to join this Big 12 because of its exceptional fans, etc.
WVU is getting unique money from this "third tier" deal.
WVU is competitive in the Big 12.
Just look at the AAC and its seas of empty seats and G5 status, if WVU had stayed in the AAC that is what we would be.

Reality, for those of us we were alive and paying attention to sports business just a few years ago know:

Texas (with a cash accommodation to Oklahoma) started this, unique among all conferences, deal where it had its own network and significant "third tier" rights.
Every team with a choice (TAMU, Colorado, Mizzou, Nebraska) told Texas to shove it and moved on (moved up). Leaving Texas with slots to fill. It looked for months before finding Ollie.
Others (Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, Maryland, so on) kept their powder dry and ended up in a much better places. Fact is the geographically logic conferences did not want WVU, because of the tiny market and fickle fairweathered fans, not to mention the academics.
WVU, due to market size and fan interest, gets less from the "third tier" rights than the other programs.
The league was supposed to be the "Big 2, Little 8", settled between Texas and Oklahoma 9 years out of 10, but Texas made a generationally stupid hire and Oklahoma is down and the current situation exists. Eventually this will go away and normality will return.
In any event, WVU cannot compete at the major level, and has been playing for 5th in this league. WVU can never compete at that level and will ALWAYS be playing for 5th. In a random year, it will beat one or two of the good teams. Rah, rah, rah.
And this is the point. If Ollie had had the sense to stay in the AAC, the mind numbed robots of Spamland would be arguing, right now, all of Arseco's spew. It is a "6th major". It is the "best of the G5". Blah, blah, blah.

Leave out some of the hyperbole and overstatement and this is a really well reasoned analysis of Reallignment and it relation to WVU. WVU belongs, from an athletic standpoint in the ACC, they would be very competitive there and geography makes great sense. Unfortunately for them, it didn't work out that way. They will never be a good fit in the Big XII, but it is where they are for now and likely the foreseeable future. If the Big XII doesn't elect to grow toward them they will be stuck on an island that will keep them from being as relevant as they might otherwise be.

Sam, you really should be careful with the word spew, it is more descriptive of your posts than it is of Aresco's statements.... let's remember he is PAID to provide positive messaging about his league. Too, he is doing a good job of leading a diverse group of schools, some of whom don't really want to be there. But a sad reality that you just don't want to see (you keep calling the league fanless) in comparison to what? Clearly most of their schools have larger more vibrant fanbases (not to mention facilities) than the schools in our league.
ECU- great fan support and facilities for a G5, decent BBall support and OK facility
UConn- 40,000 seat stadium that they have sold out, give the the success again that they have had before and they will draw well......Great Basketball
Memphis - Give them wins and they will show up, Basketball support is off the charts
UCF - Great facilities accross the board, ability to schedule and win and excellent attendance when they are competitive........you can't use this year as a measuring stick.
SMU and Tulane are bad to mediocre even when successful (from an attendance standpoint)
Tulsa, just ok when they are good, but solid basketball facility and attendance.... incredibly small private!
Navy in Football.........really Sam, you question where they fall in the mix??????
Houston- tough market but great FB facility and terrific basketball history.....
Temple - Really good basketball , great facilities and have shown the ability over the past 5-6 years to grow their football program, very good right now and a growing fanbase in an NFL city wher it's tough to build college football fans.

Compare their schools to ours in CUSA, or the MAC or SBC or even the MWC which has some nice programs.......come on Sam take off the colored glasses and just be objective. AAC is NOT a P5 league, but they likely will be at the top of G5 far more often than not..... and most have made a higher commitment to be good (look at their facilities) than the other G5's..........Tulane, not withstanding.

AAC now has 4 teams ranked which is more than both the ACC and Pac-12. Sounds like a lot of people are also believing that the AAC is the 6th power conference.

Wins over everyone but OU and KSU...

So, going to mere wins over teams is now the norm for wvu fans everywhere...got it.

Lets not forget how routinely you guys get raped by said teams as well.
Its sad when seeing wvu fans, who went from "oh gosh darn, them colored boys from Miami sure are good...is this whats expected in the 2000's?" To "well lookie here, we just beat VT whos good" to "well fuc.k you! We kick ass! We're the mountaineers!" To "I am certain pat white's team could MAYBE lose to the Steelers, if they were in Pittsburgh and the refs helped out pittsburgh" to "we are amazing, before 2005, football did not exist. We are a better if not comparable AD and school to Nebraska!" To "its good to see all the inferior schools like Texas and OU take notice of us...can't wait to kick your ass in the Big 12." To "We just need to adjust..." to "No fair! The Big 12 is hard!" To "we play a hard schedule" to "we put 500 yards of offense on a top 5 defense!!! We belong here! Forget losing 55-10!" To "We beat top 10 Baylor! Uhhh...well...we lost like 6 games...but we beat Baylor!" To the crap you spew now...

It is seriously akin to watching something crumble and wither away...its actually not sad, its awesome.

Actually I think he included wins over TCU, Baylor, Texas, and OSU to bolster his argument in addition to Texas Tech, Kansas and Iowa State. Actually it is impressive that they have beaten everyone in the league but Oklahoma and K-State in a short period of time. They just aren't good enough to do it consistently

Marshall CUSA contender 2005-2009

wins over:
Memphis
ECU
Tulane
UAB
USM
SMU
UTEP
Houston
Rice
Tulsa

Reactions: IslandHerd1
Leave out some of the hyperbole and overstatement and this is a really well reasoned analysis of Reallignment and it relation to WVU. WVU belongs, from an athletic standpoint in the ACC, they would be very competitive there and geography makes great sense. Unfortunately for them, it didn't work out that way. They will never be a good fit in the Big XII, but it is where they are for now and likely the foreseeable future. If the Big XII doesn't elect to grow toward them they will be stuck on an island that will keep them from being as relevant as they might otherwise be.

Thanks. You really think WVU could compete in the ACC? I guess we will just disagree on that. My perception is that WVU had a fine thing going at the mid-major level. WVU fans are like wrestling fans. At the end of the little passion play the "good guys" always win. WVU could deliver that, at the mid-major level, to its fans. Consistently win about 9 games, and catch a major napping in a bowl every fourth or fifth try. Its fans were fine with that.

At the major level, I just don't see WVU doing much better in the ACC than it is in the Big 12. 5th or so?

And the question is are WVU's fans fine with that. Which is to say, are they as good a fanbase as Indiana, or South Carolina, or Kansas State, or NC State, or Cal? Are they fine with 8 or so wins, every couple of years? My experience tells me they are not, and, as the reality that, no matter the coach, no matter the facilities, no matter what it never gets better, they begin to fall away. I guess time will tell.

Sam, you really should be careful with the word spew, it is more descriptive of your posts than it is of Aresco's statements.... let's remember he is PAID to provide positive messaging about his league. Too, he is doing a good job of leading a diverse group of schools, some of whom don't really want to be there. But a sad reality that you just don't want to see (you keep calling the league fanless) in comparison to what? .

There is advocacy for your employer. And then there is the Bagdad Bob level of just saying stupid s***. To use a political analogy, if you and I are going to have a political discussion and I say that the democrats have a shot in Ohio and you say they don't, then that is an honest discussion. The chairman of the party, saying that he expects to win every state 75-25 and to win every seat in congress 435-0 is just, well, spew, and brings nothing to the table.

But, and back to realignment, we (the other 4) all offered that crowd an accommodation. They rejected it. They have set themselves up in opposition to the other 4. And, as such, they are our enemy. Ours, the MACs, the Mountain West's, everybody's. And, as such, it is necessary to call them when their plans fall through. They had a good half year. Next year, I hope CUSA does. If it cannot, then I'm for our 3 brothers.

As to fans, just take a look at a random game. It is sad, really.

But lastly, "some" don't want to be there? Which ones do?

Thanks. You really think WVU could compete in the ACC? I guess we will just disagree on that. My perception is that WVU had a fine thing going at the mid-major level. WVU fans are like wrestling fans. At the end of the little passion play the "good guys" always win. WVU could deliver that, at the mid-major level, to its fans. Consistently win about 9 games, and catch a major napping in a bowl every fourth or fifth try. Its fans were fine with that.

At the major level, I just don't see WVU doing much better in the ACC than it is in the Big 12. 5th or so?

And the question is are WVU's fans fine with that. Which is to say, are they as good a fanbase as Indiana, or South Carolina, or Kansas State, or NC State, or Cal? Are they fine with 8 or so wins, every couple of years? My experience tells me they are not, and, as the reality that, no matter the coach, no matter the facilities, no matter what it never gets better, they begin to fall away. I guess time will tell.

There is advocacy for your employer. And then there is the Bagdad Bob level of just saying stupid s***. To use a political analogy, if you and I are going to have a political discussion and I say that the democrats have a shot in Ohio and you say they don't, then that is an honest discussion. The chairman of the party, saying that he expects to win every state 75-25 and to win every seat in congress 435-0 is just, well, spew, and brings nothing to the table.

But, and back to realignment, we (the other 4) all offered that crowd an accommodation. They rejected it. They have set themselves up in opposition to the other 4. And, as such, they are our enemy. Ours, the MACs, the Mountain West's, everybody's. And, as such, it is necessary to call them when their plans fall through. They had a good half year. Next year, I hope CUSA does. If it cannot, then I'm for our 3 brothers.

What accommodations? A good half year for the AAC? They now have 4 teams in the coaches poll. The year is 3/4 over and voters are getting comfortable trusting some of the AAC schools with their votes.

What accommodations? A good half year for the AAC? They now have 4 teams in the coaches poll. The year is 3/4 over and voters are getting comfortable trusting some of the AAC schools with their votes.

the AAC schools built up records on nobodies. Houston had a SoS ranked 121 going into this week. now the teams at the top have to play each other. they will knock each other off and the AAC will be lucky to have 1 team ranked by the end of the season.

Houston and Memphis still play each other, Navy and Houston play, and Temple plays Memphis. then you have the championship game. very good chance that the champion is the only team ranked at the end...

the AAC schools built up records on nobodies. Houston had a SoS ranked 121 going into this week. now the teams at the top have to play each other. they will knock each other off and the AAC will be lucky to have 1 team ranked by the end of the season.

Houston and Memphis still play each other, Navy and Houston play, and Temple plays Memphis. then you have the championship game. very good chance that the champion is the only team ranked at the end...
The SOS seemed to matter very little to the coaches. These schools also beat Ole Miss, Penn State, a very bad Vandy team. 4 teams even if it does not last, still makes a statment. CUSA teams also havery an easy Sos,but apart from Marshall,hAve been unable to make the top 25.

The SOS seemed to matter very little to the coaches. These schools also beat Ole Miss, Penn State, a very bad Vandy team. 4 teams even if it does not last, still makes a statment. CUSA teams also havery an easy Sos,but apart from Marshall,hAve been unable to make the top 25.

We also beat Louisville. Cincinnati beat Miami (FL), ECU beat Virginia Tech, Memphis also beat Kansas and USF beat Syracuse. Almost every team in our conference has at least 1 P5 win this season.

and that has exactly nothing to do with what i posted... odds are pretty good that only 1 AAC team finishes ranked. the four all play each other. somebody has to lose. even if they all split you may get lucky and have 2 teams ranked...

Thing is, the AAC can talk about how many teams are ranked...in the end, only one, out of the entire G5 is getting an Access Bowl...now, it seems the AAC has the best chance at it, but only one...someone like the Pac 12 or Big Ten with as many ranked teams as the AAC, is more likely to get multiple teams in, not just in, but the CFP. In the end, the rankijgs from the CFP committee are a simple pat on the back "good job, here's your participation trophy." Because CFP meets deep into the season where your ranking can easily drop and its all that really matters.

The only reason the AAC picked off certain CUSA teams was potential TV markets. The sellout of Veteran's Stadium last weekend for Temple/ ND proved they were right. Temple could very well be the next team "taken". No 4 or 5 TV market in U.S.

Pit
The only reason the AAC picked off certain CUSA teams was potential TV markets. The sellout of Veteran's Stadium last weekend for Temple/ ND proved they were right. Temple could very well be the next team "taken". No 4 or 5 TV market in U.S.

So, it was because of someone else that Temple had a sellout game...
Thing is, the fanbase in those cities are terrible to begin with. Houston can't sell out, SMU who has Dallas, never draws anyone to a game, and Temple needs other teams, AND needs to be competitive to generate support...both of which, are never guaranteed anyway.

It's ALL about the potential TV markets, not attendance, not size of school and most definitely not winning percentage.

Now here is a post that is hard to read and makes NO sense at all!!

1. Yes, WVU would be very competitive in the ACC year in and year out. It just isn't as good top to bottom as the other P5 leagues.

2. How you can call the former Big East "mid-major" is silly, it was the bottom of the Bigs, but mid-major, no way......

3. ESPN would be my FORMER employer and has nothing to do with my evaluations of college sports other than it offered me an insight and access to the decision makers at the Conference, NCAA, University and Media levels that you simply don't have. While much of my opinion is based on real world access and having actually been there (I've even been present by invitation at Fox's top management meetings regarding collegiate sports on two occasions - by invitation btw)

4. Comparing yourself to Baghdad Bob, well, you might have that one right. Both of you "spew'd" about things you knew to be false or at the very least badly overreaching. Your political analogy makes no sense, however.

5. SamC, this has -- as evidenced by other posters on this board asking for it to stop-- gone way to far. Let's agree to disagree and give it a rest!!!! My last "salvo" in this is simply-- In the vast number of posts I've made on this and other social media, I'd invite you to go back and find 2, just 2 occasions where I was wrong on facts. There may be some, but they will be few and far between. You on the other hand, are a veritable font of misstatement and misinterpretation of facts and most of your "facts' are either imagined, clearly made up, or the result of misinterpretation based on bias.

I don't apologize for the access I've had in the world of intercollegiate athletics or the fact that my career allowed me to have real input in areas that have helped give the industry or even the sports themselves some small amount of direction. I've tried to share (when it didn't compromise the integrity of process) some of that insight over the years and for the most part, knowledgeable readers and contributors to these boards have appreciated it. Some, mostly those who seem to be jealous of that kind of access, seek to berate and belittle, but that's just how it is in the sometimes asinine world of social media........

I'll continue to offer this to the readers of this and other boards.............Ask me anything, and I'll do my best to answer it honestly and factually when possible. Generally though that opens me up to silly innuendo and criticism from people like you who "believe" they have somehow interpreted or interpolated facts from opinions that that have read or heard somewhere, more often than not from social media contributors who speculate much more than report.

SamC - Have a great day!!!! and the Best of Holidays as we approach that joyous season of the year.

Last edited:
can mods open a new forum for Sam and Dan?

this is growing very tiresome.............

College of Charleston needs a football team, it would be successful immediately. Location, beautiful women, plenty to do...easy to recruit. I lived in Charleston for 15 years, my family lives on James Island. I once spoke to you after meeting Angela Mallen and getting into a conversation with her about The Herd and being from Huntington. In fact I got several local bars to sponsor the Charleston Classic several years ago, after meeting her. I was also good friends with Antwaine Wiggins, Drew Goudelock, Jeremy Simmons and a few other basketball players before moving out of Charleston.

Curious as to what you think about a football program at C of C.

College of Charleston needs a football team, it would be successful immediately. Location, beautiful women, plenty to do...easy to recruit. I lived in Charleston for 15 years, my family lives on James Island. I once spoke to you after meeting Angela Mallen and getting into a conversation with her about The Herd and being from Huntington. In fact I got several local bars to sponsor the Charleston Classic several years ago, after meeting her. I was also good friends with Antwaine Wiggins, Drew Goudelock, Jeremy Simmons and a few other basketball players before moving out of Charleston.

Curious as to what you think about a football program at C of C.

I have been on one of the President's advisory boards at CofC for the past 9 years and was the Deputy AD there for a year. I have supported adding football the entire time. I even appeared on a panel discussion headed by the Dean of the College of Business there. The panel included one of the members of the Board that brought football to UNCC. It's also important to note the CofC has a larger undergraduate enrollment than Marshall approx 10,400 to 9,400. The college's current admin is strongly opposed to even investigating the option of football. With the current University Administration and Athletic Administration its a dead issue. Charleston could definitely support a college football program and personally, I think it is overdue. Football would provide a great opportunity to rally alumni and bring them back to campus, a real problem there and at most schools without football. Both of my daughters are CofC grads and Marshall fans, and both would love to see football started there. But it won't happen any time soon.

By the way, thanks for your support of the Charleston Classic, I continue to be involved with that event as well as the Puerto Rico Tip-off. Feel free to reach out to me at danshoemaker1@gmail.com. I'd love to know who I'm writing to.

I have been on one of the President's advisory boards at CofC for the past 9 years and was the Deputy AD there for a year. I have supported adding football the entire time. I even appeared on a panel discussion headed by the Dean of the College of Business there. The panel included one of the members of the Board that brought football to UNCC. It's also important to note the CofC has a larger undergraduate enrollment than Marshall approx 10,400 to 9,400. The college's current admin is strongly opposed to even investigating the option of football. With the current University Administration and Athletic Administration its a dead issue. Charleston could definitely support a college football program and personally, I think it is overdue. Football would provide a great opportunity to rally alumni and bring them back to campus, a real problem there and at most schools without football. Both of my daughters are CofC grads and Marshall fans, and both would love to see football started there. But it won't happen any time soon.

By the way, thanks for your support of the Charleston Classic, I continue to be involved with that event as well as the Puerto Rico Tip-off. Feel free to reach out to me at danshoemaker1@gmail.com. I'd love to know who I'm writing to.

So serious question, shoe. With your experience, if you had the ability to help Marshall athletics out.. What would you do? What would you change? I'm just curious as to if Marshall is stuck where we are forever, or has the potential to be great.

Wow, tough question to answer in this kind of a forum....... everyone wants to be so critical.

I will say this though, Mike H had MU going in the right direction, scheduling is improving for sure. Conference affiliation in terms of a long range plan needs to be studied and an action plan implemented. Funding stability will continue to be an issue and needs to be continually addressed. Stadium issues need to be addressed, particularly ingress and egress with respect to the endzone addition.. I thing the fan base needs to be studied with the implementation of a play to try and grow the fan base both geographically and within young alums and younger business professionals. A strong marketing plan that includes a real study of the marketplace to determine ticket price points.

Better support of the Basketball program, it has so much more headroom. Henderson Center / Arena future needs a plan

generally though, MU athletics are in the best shape they have been in for years.......at least on the surface.

So my question is, WHY has Hamrick not addressed basic easy to address stadium issues like painting the steel girders and putting in new stainless steel urinals. With the addition of the Clien IAF the west side girders look like hillbilly white trash. I mean that painting might cost 100k at the most? And put away those unused chairbacks and find a place to store them. Looks trashy!

Further expand on endzone egress and digress Dan.

I'd have to agree the athletics dept is moving in the right direction and has fastly improved under Hamrick et al. Still there's basic stuff he could do.

Finally, YES, we aren't getting the upwardly mobile fan, and aren't getting any Tri state fans. We seem to have a core of 25K but we need to get that to 30K.

As for ticketing, I'd love to support a Huntington Boys and Girls Club freeze out section of super low priced tickets in a section that almost never get used.

Basic stadium upkeep really isn't really on Mike or the Athletics Department as much as it is on Buildings and Grounds and the overall facilities budget of the University.

Basic stadium upkeep really isn't really on Mike or the Athletics Department as much as it is on Buildings and Grounds and the overall facilities budget of the University.

Greenhouse's head might explode when reading that response...

...and that would be awesome.

and that has exactly nothing to do with what i posted... odds are pretty good that only 1 AAC team finishes ranked. the four all play each other. somebody has to lose. even if they all split you may get lucky and have 2 teams ranked...

Memphis - done
Temple - done

Houston - plays Navy
Navy - plays Houston

i'm like Nostra f'g damus...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT