ADVERTISEMENT

The G5

With all due respect. CBS and the AAC do have a financial contract. Linkhttp://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/tu/football/aac-tv-deal-is-with-espn-cbs-sports/article_be99055d-ac62-502c-9ce3-eb99bb0f59aa.html

Also, through the Houston game UCF was averaging 32000 during a down year. If Marshall averages more than this, my apologies.

Actually, CBS SN is a wholly owned division of CBS, so anything CBS SN signs is technically owned by CBS. Splitting hairs.

CBS's contract ON AAC is with ESPN, ESPN holds all rights in AAC and sub-licenses some games to CBS and for that matter to ASN and I believe a few to FOX.

CBS has contracts with the SEC and CUSA, they sub-license other conference games including AAC and the Missouri Valley Championship game for CBS National.... They also have some access to Big Ten Basketball and Big East I believe.
Some of us like sarcasm. Some try to be codecending know it alls. I guess it's a matter of personal preference. I'll get you a map

I don't mind sarcasm...........but mean just shows a lack of control and tremendous insecurity.
Can always use another map.......but I do have a GPS!! I stand-by what I said though from a helping to bridge the gap standpoint....... I also eventually expect Cincinnati to be added partly for the same reason/s

Shoe, Memphis going to B12 would be the biggest horseshit move made in CFB possibly ever. Memphis has NEVER had any success of major note prior to now. As a program, they barely exist in history. Beat UT in 96 but went 4-7 that year. Don't care about the run they had in basketball, or media market--football they've never done a damn thing.

wVu's football program is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Memphis or anything else in the current AAC, and look where they are in the Big 12. a move by any of the current teams would be an SMU Death Penalty inflicted upon themselves. sure take the money and run, just don't scratch your head in 10 years when you have Mid American attendance... Houston is about the only school that would have the slightest chance. they would go from the 10th choice for Texas recruits to 8 or 9. but the Big 12 already told them to pound sand once before...

Shoe, Memphis going to B12 would be the biggest horseshit move made in CFB possibly ever. Memphis has NEVER had any success of major note prior to now. As a program, they barely exist in history. Beat UT in 96 but went 4-7 that year. Don't care about the run they had in basketball, or media market--football they've never done a damn thing.

Doesn't matter what they have done in the past. The reality is that they play in a 60,000 seat stadium slotted for renovation, they have a great history of fan support (20,000+ for basketball), they travel well (basketball), they have a great city, great corporate support. ( By the way, I was in attendance a few years back when they made their first Bowl trip in YEARS - they took about 15,000 fans, all they need is some success and an attractive schedule) .............now let's address some of the other stuff: Put them in the Big 12, attendance jumps to 40,000+ right away, Tennessee home and home would be a no brainer, coach salary goes to $2 -3 million +, on and on and on. There is absolutely no reason they can't be as good as they want to be and are prepared to be. Compare them to WVU, K-State, Kansas...... Better city, Better location, more/better athletes in their immediate proximity, excellent air service, etc, etc. The conference change would make ALL the difference, too many of you dwell on the past as a determinate of the future, if that were true, Marshall would have NEVER had a chance to win a National Championship in 1-AA or go to multiple Bowl Games or play WVU or Purdue at home. TCU would have NEVER had an opportunity to be in the Big 12 or win a Rose Bowl. Memphis has all the pieces, they just need someone to piece the puzzle together.

Imagine a schedule that has Texas, Oklahoma, WVU, Ole Miss (home and home), Tennessee home and home, etc..... all the parts are there!!!! AND no NFL team to fight.

Think about this -- so many of our fans are down on MU attendance, imagine if you will what our attendance would look like if we were playing: WVU home and home, UC home and home, UofL home and home, Pitt/Va Tech home and home, ECU home and home, UCF home and home, etc........we'd average over 30-35,000, and be talking about stadium expansion.........you can't just look at the past as an indicator of the future when you change the variables...... just imagine

Reactions: BT4373
wVu's football program is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Memphis or anything else in the current AAC, and look where they are in the Big 12. a move by any of the current teams would be an SMU Death Penalty inflicted upon themselves. sure take the money and run, just don't scratch your head in 10 years when you have Mid American attendance... Houston is about the only school that would have the slightest chance. they would go from the 10th choice for Texas recruits to 8 or 9. but the Big 12 already told them to pound sand once before...

I disagree, very respectively btw. Sure there would be a ramp up period, but given the athletes in that area and all the other trappings of Memphis (including a solid Bowl game in their stadium) they have all of the head room in the world.............certainly, they can have a program equal to WVU....... won't happen overnight, but right now this year, they would be competitive with Texas, K-State, better than KU, and Iowa State....... given their win over Ole Miss and Ole Miss's win this weekend, coupled with their win over AL, who is to say they couldn't compete at home with OK and OK State and WVU........granted, TCU and Baylor are out of their league, but they are Top 10 teams too.

This isn't a stretch..........now, can they sustain? can they hang on to their coach? Will they follow a good hire with another good hire? Guess we will see.

Actually, CBS SN is a wholly owned division of CBS, so anything CBS SN signs is technically owned by CBS. Splitting hairs.

CBS's contract ON AAC is with ESPN, ESPN holds all rights in AAC and sub-licenses some games to CBS and for that matter to ASN and I believe a few to FOX.

CBS has contracts with the SEC and CUSA, they sub-license other conference games including AAC and the Missouri Valley Championship game for CBS National.... They also have some access to Big Ten Basketball and Big East I believe.

I don't mind sarcasm...........but mean just shows a lack of control and tremendous insecurity.
Can always use another map.......but I do have a GPS!! I stand-by what I said though from a helping to bridge the gap standpoint....... I also eventually expect Cincinnati to be added partly for the same reason/s
Not being able to admit you are wrong shows a lack of insecurity. You are actually going to sit here and tell me a school 100 miles closer to wvu than Iowa St and a 12 hour drive to Morgantown helps bridge the Gap. Wvu will still be on an Island, clearly on an island in the B12 and Memphis and their geography doesn't help a bit. Now, I do agree with their potential if invited. Add, UC then sure we can talk helping bridge the gap.

Memphis doesn't help bridge the gap to WVU at all based on location. It does help bridge the gap of mediocrity if they jumped in the B12. Memphis, WVU, ISU would be 3 of the worse teams in that league yearly. However, shoe is correct that Memphis would make sense. Market, attendance, donors, fan travel, etc, etc, they have going for them.

Remember, I base this on what is available and an eventual desire to go to 12. Looking at adding 2, Memphis and Cincinnati would make the most sense including geography now that UofL is in the ACC. Is it perfect no, but does it help move the league eastward, yes.

I disagree I think Memphis and FUC make the most sense if we are talking about markets, alumni, etc without talking geographical locations. Geographical I'd say Memphis and maybe Houston

With all due respect. CBS and the AAC do have a financial contract. Linkhttp://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/tu/football/aac-tv-deal-is-with-espn-cbs-sports/article_be99055d-ac62-502c-9ce3-eb99bb0f59aa.html

Also, through the Houston game UCF was averaging 32000 during a down year. If Marshall averages more than this, my apologies.

Umm, genius, the link is to an article about CBSSN, not CBS. Two different things. The idiot Cougar said Memphis was going to be on CBS, and that this "could not happen in CUSA". DEAD WRONG. Memphis, according to the contract THE AMERICAN!!!!! has with CBSSN. CUSA has a contract with the same cable channel. Marshall was on CBSSN a few weeks ago.

The ONLY game on CBS this week is Georgia - Florida. Because the ONLY contract CBS has is with the Greatest Conference, the SEC.

As to CFCC's unaudited claims, did you watch the video? You actually belive there were 32K people there. There were not 32 hundred people there. You know that.

Last year, C-USA was better. This year the AAU -- err, C -- is up. It will fluctuate back and forth year-to-year. Occasionally, the MAC will have a good team or two. Ole Cougar King finally has something to crow about. Boise looks to be down. ESPN doesn't like competition. Louisville is the only one of our lot that got lucky -- they have lots of money. On paper, Marshall can not field a 14-0/13-1 team every year: The goal is to compete for a conference championship and go to the best bowl possible. So what? At the end of the day, we'll all (but one) still be G-5.

At least in C-USA, we've got some East Division road games to drive to. If the new C-USA schools develop their programs, we'll have just as good -- if not better -- metropolitan markets and recruiting grounds. In the Mid-Atlantic/Southeast regions, C-USA is much more established than the AAC. If our athletic director continues to get home-and-home series with desirable P-5/G-5 schools to improve our strength of schedule, I'm happy.

The G-5 schools sold out in the football playoff, just to catch a crumb that MAY fall from the table. Rest most assuredly, the scenario will be expanded -- looks like the Big 12 is about to get the shaft again. When that happens, the G-5 schools need to band together and fight for two slots in an eight-team or more playoff. That way, all five P-F conference winners would get a bid plus a wild card for their best second team. The ratio is still 3 to 1.

Just my opinions. Maybe the plight is weaker than I perceive.

All of this "Memphis to the Big 12" and "Cincinnati to the Big 12" and all of that (ECU is actually selling ECU - SEC shirts) is just so much ho-ha. Fact is Texas still runs the Big 12 and it is fine with things just as they are. It does not need two more mouths to feed. Further, the idea that this or that school makes things "geographically better" for WVU incorrectly presupposes that anybody really cares about WVU's outlier status, and that having a team "only" 4 or 5 or 6 hundred miles away from Holeland acomplishes that. It doesn't. A geographically ballanced situation for a school is to play teams that overlay your alumni map. For WVU that is metro NYC, metro DC, Piedmont North Carolina, metro Atlanta, Florida, and western Pennsylvania. Not Cincinnati. Not Memphis. Teams do better with rivals, and WVU has none, at least none that it plays. Which goes a long way to explaining their fixation with us. And when you get on a plane, you get on a plane. Really doesn't matter after that.

But it does bring up ONE of the many major weaknesses of THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!!! Every time the phone rings in any AD's office in the league, the AD asks "is that the Big 12, returning my call? " Umm, no. Meanwhile, the league's idiot commissioner, who, you will remember back during realignment was going to get all these schools (Boise, BYU, San Diego State, Utah, blah, blah, blah) and going to keep the BcS auto bid and blah blah blah, is out spewing that "really" there is no "power 5" its a "power 6" and blah, blah, blah. So the schools know what the league is and want out, but their own commissioner says they are wrong and that if you call a tail a leg .... What a poison crew. Glad to be clear of that trap.

Meanwhile, win all your games, be it in CUSA, the MWC, THE AMERICAN!!!!, or even the MAC, and you go to the access bowl. Lose once, and play in St. Pete. The same. Equal. No different.

Go Irish.

Reactions: ohio herd
All of this "Memphis to the Big 12" and "Cincinnati to the Big 12" and all of that (ECU is actually selling ECU - SEC shirts) is just so much ho-ha. Fact is Texas still runs the Big 12 and it is fine with things just as they are. It does not need two more mouths to feed. Further, the idea that this or that school makes things "geographically better" for WVU incorrectly presupposes that anybody really cares about WVU's outlier status, and that having a team "only" 4 or 5 or 6 hundred miles away from Holeland acomplishes that. It doesn't. A geographically ballanced situation for a school is to play teams that overlay your alumni map. For WVU that is metro NYC, metro DC, Piedmont North Carolina, metro Atlanta, Florida, and western Pennsylvania. Not Cincinnati. Not Memphis. Teams do better with rivals, and WVU has none, at least none that it plays. Which goes a long way to explaining their fixation with us. And when you get on a plane, you get on a plane. Really doesn't matter after that.

But it does bring up ONE of the many major weaknesses of THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!!! Every time the phone rings in any AD's office in the league, the AD asks "is that the Big 12, returning my call? " Umm, no. Meanwhile, the league's idiot commissioner, who, you will remember back during realignment was going to get all these schools (Boise, BYU, San Diego State, Utah, blah, blah, blah) and going to keep the BcS auto bid and blah blah blah, is out spewing that "really" there is no "power 5" its a "power 6" and blah, blah, blah. So the schools know what the league is and want out, but their own commissioner says they are wrong and that if you call a tail a leg .... What a poison crew. Glad to be clear of that trap.

Meanwhile, win all your games, be it in CUSA, the MWC, THE AMERICAN!!!!, or even the MAC, and you go to the access bowl. Lose once, and play in St. Pete. The same. Equal. No different.

Go Irish.

Wow Sam, didn't know you were so close to all of these programs that you even know what they care about and what they don't, what they think about when the phone rings, etc!

Actually they care very much about the issues WVU faces relative to geograph and its discussed frequently! Expansion though is dictated now by what you can bring to the league and specifically can you generate new revenues that offset the reduced per school payouts associated with splitting the pie into more pieces. And that is really hard to find!!!

Oh, and didn't a 2 loss MWC go over a 1pt OT 1 loss CUSA a year ago? Clearly not everyone is equal

Umm, genius, the link is to an article about CBSSN, not CBS. Two different things. The idiot Cougar said Memphis was going to be on CBS, and that this "could not happen in CUSA". DEAD WRONG. Memphis, according to the contract THE AMERICAN!!!!! has with CBSSN. CUSA has a contract with the same cable channel. Marshall was on CBSSN a few weeks ago.

The ONLY game on CBS this week is Georgia - Florida. Because the ONLY contract CBS has is with the Greatest Conference, the SEC.

As to CFCC's unaudited claims, did you watch the video? You actually belive there were 32K people there. There were not 32 hundred people there. You know that.
CBS owns CBSN so we are disputing nomenclature not any significant difference between the two. Not sure where all of the anger is coming from. I for one think Marshall is deserving of a spot in the AAC and would enhance the league.

CUSA may have had a better record last year than the AAC, but they sure did not receive all of the great publicity the AAC has this year. Again, this is about perception. A one loss Marshall team would be perceived as being stronger in the AAC than CUSA.

I meant Boise not Memphis geographically

Don't look for Boise to be that team. Their geography spreads the Big 12 even more. Inviting WVU and not Louisville, brought the conference East, any further expansion is likely to be in that direction. Boise also doesn't look institutionally like most of the Big 12. BYU maybe, but unlikely. Fans forget that conference affiliation isn't just about Football, at least at the Power 5 Conference level.

The AAC deserves the press this year, and they are certainly the strongest conference moving forward. The problem with the AAC is that it's built to deliver at least 2 losses to everyone. (Yes, UCF & ECU being weaker than expected may lead to a champion with fewer than 2 losses this year, but that will not be the norm... especially with an added championship game). The great quandary MU faces: should it aspire to the AAC, where attractive conference games would mean better attendance and the occasional ranked team coming in? On the flip side, if the goal is to get the access slot, we have a much better chance in CUSA, where we draw less and make less. The AAC will eat its own when it comes to the access slot. Be careful what you wish for.

The AAC deserves the press this year, and they are certainly the strongest conference moving forward. The problem with the AAC is that it's built to deliver at least 2 losses to everyone. (Yes, UCF & ECU being weaker than expected may lead to a champion with fewer than 2 losses this year, but that will not be the norm... especially with an added championship game). The great quandary MU faces: should it aspire to the AAC, where attractive conference games would mean better attendance and the occasional ranked team coming in? On the flip side, if the goal is to get the access slot, we have a much better chance in CUSA, where we draw less and make less. The AAC will eat its own when it comes to the access slot. Be careful what you wish for.

Every conference "eats its own" in that regard. That is exactly what WKU did last year in CUSA.

Well that's probably because I was a part of those administrative meetings for almost 30 years and still talk to one of the Exec VP's and Sr VP's of ESPN all the time, in fact I had lunch with one of them last week. I also talk to a number of other exec's there still and hired and/or managed some of the people there who still make those decisions. I did 2 sublicense contracts with ESPN for another broadcaster this past month and I met with both the AD and President of ODU several weeks ago regarding my recommendations on the Commissioner's search in CUSA.. I never post anything that I don't have first hand information of or experience with.

I have had a long time relationship with ODU (over 30 years) and have known Wood Selig, the AD there since he started in the business at UVA and as AD at Western Kentucky, in fact if you read his "what they are saying" quotes from when he got the ODU job, one is from me as a VP at ESPN. I was a consultant on ODU's Basketball arena, College of Charleston's arena, Central Michigan's football stadium renovations, Marshall's football stadium and Basketball arena, Troy's Football stadium and many others. I have served on AD selection committees and have run searches for D1 Basketball coaches as well as made many recommendations on AD, Football and basketball D1 jobs and commissioner searches in 3 FBS conferences.

So if my posting "info" sounds as though I actually know the people or was actually there, there is a reason for that, often I was. I still run 4 major college BBall events - 2 for ESPN and 2 others, one in partnership with Georgetown and was involved in the management and startup of 10 Bowl games and over 20 major college events, not to mention the startup of ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3 and currently act as a consultant for ASN. I was at the A10 Media day in NYC last week and will be at the American on Tuesday in Orlando, as well as the Big South on Monday in Charlotte and was in attendance at CAA and MAC earlier. So I do have at least a clue. I've met with and consulted with every D1 conference in college sports and personally know almost every major college AD and Commissioner in the country. I was asked to consult and was in a meeting for yet another startup Bowl Game 2 weeks ago.

So at least you read those posts clearly. As for the punctuation, I didn't realize we were being graded on punctuation. You can also now take the "quotes" off the info, because again, I never speculate without saying so, otherwise, it is first hand information.

so-name-dropping.jpg

Inviting WVU and not Louisville, brought the conference East, any further expansion is likely to be in that direction.

Louisville is well east of the original Big 12 footprint, almost 500 miles from Ames. In any event, I find the idea that WVU was Texas' first choice as a field filler for its new Big 12 impossible to believe. Never will know, but it seems likely that many schools turned down Texas before they found Ollie. Remember that every school with a choice got out of the old Big 12.

After all, Louisville, Pitt, and Syracuse ended up in the ACC. Not only a better conference, but one that is at least in their own time zone.

Boise also doesn't look institutionally like most of the Big 12. BYU maybe, but unlikely.

Boise doesn't look institutionally like most of the NCAA. Long time watchers of THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!! will remember that delusional rambling #37 out of its HQ was this grandiose deal with Boise, San Diego State and keeping all of the now-defectors (UofL, SU, Pitt, Rutgers) as a member of the "power 6". Like all of the other delusions, it never happened.

BYU is, IMHO, the ONLY program that might change (for want of a better word) conferences before the next great realignment happens in the middle of the next decade. The conferences have all adopted buyouts that no one can pay, and some have adopted "assignment of rights" that keep the media rights with the old conference until the TV deals all expire. BYU is in the fastest growing state and represents the fastest growing religion. And it is getting killed as an independent. But there is no way a single team joins any major league. And, nobody in a current league can afford to switch.

But I see no evidence that, one, Texas wants ANY other schools in its Big 12, or, assuming that is wrong, that any of these AMERICANS!!!!!!!!! are the choice. None can deliver their media market even in the way WVU delivers its (albeit microscopicly small) one. And none could come close to competing, short term or long term

So Dan, what do you think on Conference USA making former Tulsa athletic director Judy MacLeod conference commissioner? I think this will hurt us in the long run but time will tell. Can't we catch a break? As I have said on another thread, she may be very qualified but will she be able to be more than just a figure head in the FBS?

Every conference "eats its own" in that regard. That is exactly what WKU did last year in CUSA.

Oh, better than that, dshoe. Remember what Southern Miss did a few year ago to Coog King's Hoooooston team in the CUSA title game? A major ASH WHUPPIN, in Houston no less, when the Cougars where a "sure lock" for a BCS bowl, and all the other CUSA ADs, ours included, were already counting all that BCS payoff $$$$$$$$!

So Dan, what do you think on Conference USA making former Tulsa athletic director Judy MacLeod conference commissioner? I think this will hurt us in the long run but time will tell. Can't we catch a break? As I have said on another thread, she may be very qualified but will she be able to be more than just a figure head in the FBS?
The woman was the associate commissioner of C-USA for years. I'm quite certain she knows her way around.

Judy is certainly competent and the AD's really like her. She has a change to be good.

This board can be really amazing: Last week someone criticizes me with

"Your nonstop ODU love, ESPN love, posting "info" as though you're actually in the know or part of administrative meetings incessantly is what's wrong with me."

So I justify with facts, nothing embellished at all, and I get the other criticism quoted above complete with a cute "Buffy" picture. Crazy!!!!

If I really wanted to name drop, if I thought that was important and I "needed" the validation, I would have written a post about where I was today and who I was with........had a great day, but it isn't relevant to anything that I've been asked or anything I care to comment to on this board, so I haven't and I won't...... unless it becomes relevant.

If some of you just want this board to be about your own speculation and conclusions based on what you've read on other boards and internet and "hearsay", etc, fine........I can stay only on the other Marshall board where most of the posters are genuinely interested in college sports and Marshall's positioning within that space and not just random speculation and often silly emotions expressed in childish rhetoric by people who hide behind silly screen names.

Reactions: jocktalker

"Your nonstop ODU love, ESPN love, posting "info" as though you're actually in the know or part of administrative meetings incessantly is what's wrong with me."

So I justify with facts, nothing embellished at all, and I get the other criticism quoted above complete with a cute "Buffy" picture. Crazy!!!!

If I really wanted to name drop, if I thought that was important and I "needed" the validation, I would have written a post about where I was today and who I was with........had a great day, but it isn't relevant to anything that I've been asked or anything I care to comment to on this board, so I haven't and I won't...... unless it becomes relevant.

If some of you just want this board to be about your own speculation and conclusions based on what you've read on other boards and internet and "hearsay", etc, fine........I can stay only on the other Marshall board where most of the posters are genuinely interested in college sports and Marshall's positioning within that space and not just random speculation and often silly emotions expressed in childish rhetoric by people who hide behind silly screen names.

Kids will be kids, shoe.

I know it's a dead question, but what about the Herd moving on or up to other conferences? Not even a peep about us out there?

Kids will be kids, shoe.

I know it's a dead question, but what about the Herd moving on or up to other conferences? Not even a peep about us out there?
there really is nothing going on out there right now with respect to expansion within the G5 other than the SunBelt

9162cbc1ffb3f6f7cb0d90030a298e54.jpg

I don't want to get into a whole thing here but I think that is Cindy Brady not Buffy

Shoe, if you are who I think you are, I have been learning from you since '73. Time to give back!

That is Cindy Brady.

Thanks for the insightful comments and hope you are well.

Cindy Brady, you are right..... I was thinking of Buffy and Jody and Mr. French, etc.

I'm doing great!!!! How nice of you to reach out too. 1973 would put us at Ironton St. Joe, wouldn't it.
Please feel free to contact me at danshoemaker1@gmail.com or reach out on facebook. I'd love to know how you are doing.
thanks

Why is this thread still going, don't you guys have a game this weekend? Oh wait, you're playing Charlotte. LMAO

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT