ADVERTISEMENT

The G5

Also shoe, what about Toledo? They are having a better year than ANY team in the AAC, yet I noticed ESPN blew up the Memphis win over Ole Miss in comparison to the Toledo over Arkansas AT Ark game....

Why is that? Toledo is the clear cut leader for the access slot, Ole Miss may be 6-6 by seasons end, what may seem big today might be nothing in a few weeks.
Last year Boise State got the Access bowl because they lost to Ole Miss in a blow out, But they "played" Ole Miss is the key. Memphis will get the bid because they played Ole Miss. We need to play Ole Miss.

Reactions: andy4theherd
Still stronger than the schedule Marshall played last year. You know, the one with zero P5 teams and no upper-level G5s.

Last year Boise State got the Access bowl because they lost to Ole Miss in a blow out, But they "played" Ole Miss is the key. Memphis will get the bid because they played Ole Miss. We need to play Ole Miss.

I think Toledo has gotten great recognition for their wins over MD and Arkansas...........Ole Miss was probably a little better win considering the Ole Miss win over Alabama and then following up the loss to Memphis with a solid win over Texas A&M.
Memphis' league schedule is also perceived as stronger than Toledo's (hard to argue that one this year)...... but I do think that Toledo will go to the access Bowl if they win out and the AAC teams each end up with one loss. Toledo's first game too v an FCS (which was ruled a no contest due to the game not finishing because of weather was by far their worst outing of the year.........who knows, they could have come back like they did vs UMass, but if taken into consideration at all (and no matter what anybody says, it will come up in the committee meetings) it hurts them a little, I think.

I think Toledo has gotten great recognition for their wins over MD and Arkansas...........Ole Miss was probably a little better win considering the Ole Miss win over Alabama and then following up the loss to Memphis with a solid win over Texas A&M.
Memphis' league schedule is also perceived as stronger than Toledo's (hard to argue that one this year)...... but I do think that Toledo will go to the access Bowl if they win out and the AAC teams each end up with one loss. Toledo's first game too v an FCS (which was ruled a no contest due to the game not finishing because of weather was by far their worst outing of the year.........who knows, they could have come back like they did vs UMass, but if taken into consideration at all (and no matter what anybody says, it will come up in the committee meetings) it hurts them a little, I think.
Hurts them a lot. IMO. If Memphis finishes unscathed then i think they should get it hands down. If they lose, then it should go to Toledo though. Which is the outcome I am hoping for. I personally want to see the AAC get left out each season and be rated no higher than the #3 G5 conference like last year.

...but I do think that Toledo will go to the access Bowl if they win out and the AAC teams each end up with one loss.

Gee, I wish I had said that. You mean that if a team wins all its games, even in the MAC, and is the only undefeated "group of 5" team , that team goes to the "access bowl" ? In other words, no matter what conference a team is in, as long as it gets it done every week, it can acomplish great things. Wow. You mean that you don't have the be in THE AMERICAN!!!!!!! ? You can do this from the one and only conference which has ever finished first in the power rankings (hint, CUSA) ? Or even from the only conference ever to actually win the access bowl slots (hint, MWC) ? Or even from the MAC ? You don't have to spend $7M you don't have to move over (not up) to this THE AMERICAN!!!!!! and play on Tuesdays or Fridays or whenever ESPN says? You can play in an ordinary conference and play on Saturdays? You mean that if none of these AMERICANS!!!!!!!!! finish undefeated, they will play in Boca, or St. Pete or Birmingham, just like the other "group of 5" conferences?

Wow, who knew? Sounds kind of like one conference is about the same as the next and the next and the next.

Oh, and GO IRISH!

Reactions: bangtheherd
Gee, I wish I had said that. You mean that if a team wins all its games, even in the MAC, and is the only undefeated "group of 5" team , that team goes to the "access bowl" ? In other words, no matter what conference a team is in, as long as it gets it done every week, it can acomplish great things. Wow. You mean that you don't have the be in THE AMERICAN!!!!!!! ? You can do this from the one and only conference which has ever finished first in the power rankings (hint, CUSA) ? Or even from the only conference ever to actually win the access bowl slots (hint, MWC) ? Or even from the MAC ? You don't have to spend $7M you don't have to move over (not up) to this THE AMERICAN!!!!!! and play on Tuesdays or Fridays or whenever ESPN says? You can play in an ordinary conference and play on Saturdays? You mean that if none of these AMERICANS!!!!!!!!! finish undefeated, they will play in Boca, or St. Pete or Birmingham, just like the other "group of 5" conferences?

Wow, who knew? Sounds kind of like one conference is about the same as the next and the next and the next.

Oh, and GO IRISH!
First, the American does not play on Tuesday nights. They do play Thursday night and have practically owned Friday night on ESPN. Not bad publicity. And no, not all conferences are seen as even by the committee. A two loss Boise team beat out a one loss Marshall team last year for the slot. Even a one loss AAC teams were being ranked higher than a zero loss Marshall team last year. Say what you want, but having ESPN game day go to Temple says that the ESPN propaganda machine is strong and can sway people. (Dshoe I do not know you, but your insights and experience are valuable to this board and anyone looking for a bit of how things work behind the curtain.)

So no, not all conferences are created equal. It also did not cost 7 million dollars to move the AAC. Marshall would be a great addition to the AAC. It simply however, is not true that all of the G5 conferences are weighted the same. Right now, the AAC is clearly at the top.

Last edited:
If I counted correctly, 9 of the AAC teams are originally from C-USA. If we joined that conference, we would simply be joining the old C-USA. Well, kind of. The schools that left C-USA were the larger or better fixed or both. We are smaller and not well fixed.

C-USA gives us all the competition we need right now. There are some teams new to D1 that will mature. I have no doubt that we will find competition from FIU, FAU and ODU. Probably Charlotte also. There are some teams that can give us a very hard time now such as WKY and LA Tech. So. Miss will be back soon. I think it is best that we stay where we are and grow with the conference. I am happy the AAC is doing well. In a few years, C-USA will probably do equally well.

Had we remained in the MAC, we would have all the competition we can handle. I was leery of the move to C-USA and it turned out I was correct in my assessment of the relative level of competition. I have heard we gained something financially by the move, but I have not seen the figures. We lost something in rivalries. It;s fun to play teams you hate, ones that bad mouth you at every turn. C-USA is kind of a love fest. Maybe we can hate WKU. (My old high school coach graduated from WKU. He also taught history. He was one of the more ignorant persons I have ever known. I really didn't like or respect him. Should I reflect that on the institution?)

Hurts them a lot. IMO. If Memphis finishes unscathed then i think they should get it hands down. If they lose, then it should go to Toledo though. Which is the outcome I am hoping for. I personally want to see the AAC get left out each season and be rated no higher than the #3 G5 conference like last year.

Depends on who they lose to and what happens to Temple. I agree though that Toledo deserves it over Houston at this point. I think we are all assuming that ND beats Temple. AAC will continue to cycle up though, too many good programs, that said, there is NO reason that CUSA and MTN West won't have their years too. CUSA absolutely needs to earn the Access slot soon.

Depends on who they lose to and what happens to Temple. I agree though that Toledo deserves it over Houston at this point. I think we are all assuming that ND beats Temple. AAC will continue to cycle up though, too many good programs, that said, there is NO reason that CUSA and MTN West won't have their years too. CUSA absolutely needs to earn the Access slot soon.

They earned it last season.

Oh, and GO IRISH!

Sam,
Your posts get more and more ridiculous with each passing day!! Toledo has had a terrific year and has 2 wins over Power 5 schools and their conference also has an impressive win over Maryland as well as a few other impressive wins.
I'm one of the few people who thought that Marshall would go to the Access Bowl last year had it remained undefeated over a 2 loss Boise team.
You have no objectivity what so ever on this topic and therefor no credibility whatsoever. And your American in all caps with exclamation points is childish to say the least. You have been proven wrong time after time this season and you seem to be the only one who doesn't see it. Time to give up the "fight", you look foolish.

Happy Halloween, by the way.

First, the American does not play on Tuesday nights. They do play Thursday night and have practically owned Friday night on ESPN. Not bad publicity. And no, not all conferences are seen as even by the committee. A two loss Boise team beat out a one loss Marshall team last year for the slot. Even a one loss AAC teams were being ranked higher than a zero loss Marshall team last year. Say what you want, but having ESPN game day go to Temple says that the ESPN propaganda machine is strong and can sway people. (Dshoe I do not know you, but your insights and experience are valuable to this board and anyone looking for a bit of how things work behind the curtain.)

So no, not all conferences are created equal. It also did not cost 7 million dollars to move the AAC. Marshall would be a great addition to the AAC. It simply however, is not true that all of the G5 conferences are weighted the same. Right now, the AAC is clearly at the top.

A very reasoned and intelligent post. Thanks.

jmo that with the future OOC schedules, CUSA wouldn't hold back the Herd as far as committee consideration. And for the umpteenth time don't forget that the BCS putters had CUSA #1 late intil Boise defeated #10 in their Bowl. Bise played a much better schedule OOC but Rice, WKU and LT with the Herd bested Mtn West and the AAC. Diff yr....diff results and I believe the CFB PO people know it.

Agreed!!! When you play in a "weak" league, you have to bolster it with your out of conference play. When you do that, wins in your own league only help you. We need to play a strong OOC schedule and going forward we are. Mike H has done an excellent job of scheduling forward.

Agreed!!! When you play in a "weak" league, you have to bolster it with your out of conference play. When you do that, wins in your own league only help you. We need to play a strong OOC schedule and going forward we are. Mike H has done an excellent job of scheduling forward.

If Louisville stayed on the schedule last season, we beat them, would a 1 loss Marshall get in then?

Yes. But they were the weaker leagues last yr until Boise over #10.

If Louisville stayed on the schedule last season, we beat them, would a 1 loss Marshall get in then?

That's a great question!!! My inclination would be strong maybe!! Bigger issue would have been the timing of the loss, at home, to a team with a mediocre record and the number of points given up. Had that loss been earlier in the year, coupled with a good resume win, then I think we would have gone over a 2 loss Boise team, but another thing that hurt last year was for a period of weeks leading up to the WKU game, we were not very impressive...... remember the UAB game and we looked bad for a half v. FAU at home. But the late season loss (final regular season game) hurt way more than it would have early in the season.

That's a great question!!! My inclination would be strong maybe!! Bigger issue would have been the timing of the loss, at home, to a team with a mediocre record and the number of points given up. Had that loss been earlier in the year, coupled with a good resume win, then I think we would have gone over a 2 loss Boise team, but another thing that hurt last year was for a period of weeks leading up to the WKU game, we were not very impressive...... remember the UAB game and we looked bad for a half v. FAU at home. But the late season loss (final regular season game) hurt way more than it would have early in the season.

Which answers why I think our Ohio loss could almost be moot. Second game of the season. We finish strong with a solid win @ a strong WKU, coupled with a strong showing in CCG, we still have a shot. Albeit other dominoes will have to fall.

Agreed. We would have beat Boise by two touchdowns. They didn't have the defense we had and didn't have WKUs offense.

It was sickening enough when we were undefeated and they had their one loss, yet, they were still ranked ahead of us in the CFB committee rankings.

Excuse me, even more sickening. Boise had TWO losses to our zero at time of rankings.

Last edited:
The Puters said Mtn west behind CUSA right up till the bowl games. And Rice beat Fresno worse than Boise in two chances. That means Marshall, WKU, LT or Rice better than the entire Mtn West west ..and by a whole lot.

So anybody (other than SamC) still think that Memphis, Temple and Houston are not for real? Temple played ND right to the wire, led with 2:15 left in the game and lose on an interception on their last drive......Only Temple TO in the game. Great game, sellout crowd and a very Temple crowd in Philly. Houston dominated Vandy!!

Interestingly though, both Houston and Memphis will have trouble finishing out undefeated...... Navy and the Houston v Memphis match up......either or both could end up with 2 losses as could Temple.

None the less, these are good teams.

Toledo still in it.............and if MU wins out, who knows

So anybody (other than SamC) still think that Memphis, Temple and Houston are not for real? Temple played ND right to the wire, led with 2:15 left in the game and lose on an interception on their last drive......Only Temple TO in the game. Great game, sellout crowd and a very Temple crowd in Philly. Houston dominated Vandy!!

Interestingly though, both Houston and Memphis will have trouble finishing out undefeated...... Navy and the Houston v Memphis match up......either or both could end up with 2 losses as could Temple.

None the less, these are good teams.

Toledo still in it.............and if MU wins out, who knows
Dshoe, curious if you know Mike Aresco or not? If so, what are your thoughts on him.He really seems to have the AAC heading in the right direction.

What a weekend!!!

Temple got a moral victory (AKA got beat) by a very ordinary Notre Dame team. Eliminated. Goes back to playing nobody, for nothing, before no one. Thank you for participating.

Houston beat Vandy. But then again, so did WKU. Looking ahead Vandy is almost certain to finish 2-10 (if want to argue about UK, fine, 3-9) . Setting up the all-important Game Of The Century with ...

Memphis. Which played before a claimed attendance of 30381 (fairer statement would be maybe 2/3rd of that). Or put another way 32000 empty seats, or put another way, 30 times more than ECU-UCan't, despite giving away tickets (leaving out the students who get in free) for $20.

Want to see that Titanic Struggle? $20. Plenty of good seats still available.

Meanwhile, the ENEMY of the other 4 members of the "group of 5", Make Aresco is spewing (this would be Spew #58, if I count correctly, since the Great Realignment. Again spewing that, really, there is a "power 6" and the rest of us are "really I-AA". Scum. Your enemy.

Go Bearcats!!

Judy is certainly competent and the AD's really like her. She has a change to be good.
I was impressed with the number and quality of NCAA committees she has served on. That is where relationships are formed and members gain respect.

Dshoe, curious if you know Mike Aresco or not? If so, what are your thoughts on him.He really seems to have the AAC heading in the right direction.

I do, along with most of the other administrators in that office. In fact I was with him in Orlando this past Tuesday for AAC media Day. Mike and I have known each other for years. He was at ESPN some years ago and more recently a VP at CBS.
We had a very nice visit/chat at Media Day. Tom Odjakian, their assoc commish, and I have been friends for almost 30 years..... he was the former Manager of Programming (Basketball) at ESPN. Both are terrific guys and have a great vision for their league.

I do, along with most of the other administrators in that office. In fact I was with him in Orlando this past Tuesday for AAC media Day. Mike and I have known each other for years. He was at ESPN some years ago and more recently a VP at CBS.
We had a very nice visit/chat at Media Day. Tom Odjakian, their assoc commish, and I have been friends for almost 30 years..... he was the former Manager of Programming (Basketball) at ESPN. Both are terrific guys and have a great vision for their league.
Great stuff. Thanks. I really think CUSA got a good commish in Judy. She seems to have a vision herself.

Shoe can spew all he wants about how great Memphis and the AAC are...only to forget how easily all of them could end up NOT playing in an access bowl.

Only one gets in, and it has to be the champion. Imagine a cough up loss for Temple, likely the lone East representative...with Navy, Memphis, and Houston in the West division. The West is going to beat itself up...their rep may have 2 losses making it very possible the AAC champion misses out on the access bowl...

So all that work...for nothing...

I listened to Aresco on Sirius...he seemed very passionate about the AAC, despite the blunder of the defectors...then he was laughed at by the radio guys since the AAC is literally a bunch of nobody's. None of the teams are anything special. This year? Sure. Over their tenure as a program? Nope. Does anyone know what team from the AAC has actually been in a BCS game? Cincy...and they were in the old BE and were absolutely destroyed by Florida. UConn is the next one, which was bashed horrendously and deservedly so since OU took care of them. Those are about the only programs with any sort of real accomplishment and it came when the conference was somewhat more difficult...and one of them is more associated with basketball.
The media hype about Temple, if you listen carefully, said "Temple has never beaten a team from Indiana in their footballs history..." also, "The last time Temple was ranked..." it was a loooong time ago. Basically making the notion that Temple was absolutely irrelevant forbthe last 50 years.
Point is, the AAC brags about their recent successes, and yes, they have had success this season, but their coaches are all heading to better places, student and fan support remained par at best, and really, none of the programs have maintained themselves enough to make the conference legitimate. As much as I hate Boise, they at least had TCU as well, who helped them maintain the MWC's identity for a while...but even that identity is fleeting, especially since TCU barely even associates itself with the MWC now being not only in, but really good, in the Big 12.
The AAC is doing well this year, but to make them out like they're something incredible, is pushing the limit...and their lack of credibility in terms of where their programs stand is going to hurt their chances with the CFPC...no exceptions are going to be made...one single champion gets the nid, and that, as I said, is still not even certain.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT