ADVERTISEMENT

The G5

Your nonstop ODU love, ESPN love, posting "info" as though you're actually in the know or part of administrative meetings incessantly is what's wrong with me. Oh, and your overuse of punctuation.

Maybe you should just quit reading and posting yourself...........what's wrong with you?!?

Hey, just wanted to point out that Memphis is overrated as hell. Soft D, no matter the "historic win" over soon to be 4/5 loss Ole Miss. Memphis would lose some games in CUSA, maybe as many as 3.

Watched Temple, and don't tell me they belong in the Top 25.

I can appreciate ESPN promoting "value" in the AAC, but it is the same conference as CUSA. Which g5 is the best will absolutely rotate yearly.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Island, I gotta disagree with you on Memphis. Their offense is top notch, and I really think they would easily run the table in CUSA. Defense in college football these days is dying off.

Now Temple, on the other hand, you're spot on. They're definitely better than the past decade, but not a top 25 team by a mile.

Island, I gotta disagree with you on Memphis. Their offense is top notch, and I really think they would easily run the table in CUSA. Defense in college football these days is dying off.

Now Temple, on the other hand, you're spot on. They're definitely better than the past decade, but not a top 25 team by a mile.

Let's revisit that after Memphis has two losses at seasons end.

Your nonstop ODU love, ESPN love, posting "info" as though you're actually in the know or part of administrative meetings incessantly is what's wrong with me. Oh, and your overuse of punctuation.

Well that's probably because I was a part of those administrative meetings for almost 30 years and still talk to one of the Exec VP's and Sr VP's of ESPN all the time, in fact I had lunch with one of them last week. I also talk to a number of other exec's there still and hired and/or managed some of the people there who still make those decisions. I did 2 sublicense contracts with ESPN for another broadcaster this past month and I met with both the AD and President of ODU several weeks ago regarding my recommendations on the Commissioner's search in CUSA.. I never post anything that I don't have first hand information of or experience with.

I have had a long time relationship with ODU (over 30 years) and have known Wood Selig, the AD there since he started in the business at UVA and as AD at Western Kentucky, in fact if you read his "what they are saying" quotes from when he got the ODU job, one is from me as a VP at ESPN. I was a consultant on ODU's Basketball arena, College of Charleston's arena, Central Michigan's football stadium renovations, Marshall's football stadium and Basketball arena, Troy's Football stadium and many others. I have served on AD selection committees and have run searches for D1 Basketball coaches as well as made many recommendations on AD, Football and basketball D1 jobs and commissioner searches in 3 FBS conferences.

So if my posting "info" sounds as though I actually know the people or was actually there, there is a reason for that, often I was. I still run 4 major college BBall events - 2 for ESPN and 2 others, one in partnership with Georgetown and was involved in the management and startup of 10 Bowl games and over 20 major college events, not to mention the startup of ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3 and currently act as a consultant for ASN. I was at the A10 Media day in NYC last week and will be at the American on Tuesday in Orlando, as well as the Big South on Monday in Charlotte and was in attendance at CAA and MAC earlier. So I do have at least a clue. I've met with and consulted with every D1 conference in college sports and personally know almost every major college AD and Commissioner in the country. I was asked to consult and was in a meeting for yet another startup Bowl Game 2 weeks ago.

So at least you read those posts clearly. As for the punctuation, I didn't realize we were being graded on punctuation. You can also now take the "quotes" off the info, because again, I never speculate without saying so, otherwise, it is first hand information.

you should. Makes your statements look less than smart. In fact way less.

typical too, comment without reading is the same as pretending to have knowledge that you don't have.

That said, I think you are right on Memphis.

Dang Dan, that's an impressive post retirement work sked for a guy that can't figure to wear a helmet whilst biking! :)

My take is that if the AAC asks, we should go. Still I doubt they ask, and if they don't I do like CUSA.

It's funny to me these P5 schools want their cake and eat it too. For Pitt Duke Wake Colorado Cuse BC Iowa State KState on and on and on to say theyre too good to play an ECU or a Memphis on the road when the G5 home attendance is already better than their home attendance is as hilarious as it is ludicrous.

That's pure we have to dodge anyone that might threaten our P5 status....and Ill throw this last shot in, ESPN created that more than you want to admit ! Now I'm hearing of layoffs at ESPN due to the fact they can't cover fiscally the monster they created.

Dang Dan, that's an impressive post retirement work sked for a guy that can't figure to wear a helmet whilst biking! :)

My take is that if the AAC asks, we should go. Still I doubt they ask, and if they don't I do like CUSA.

It's funny to me these P5 schools want their cake and eat it too. For Pitt Duke Wake Colorado Cuse BC Iowa State KState on and on and on to say theyre too good to play an ECU or a Memphis on the road when the G5 home attendance is already better than their home attendance is as hilarious as it is ludicrous.

That's pure we have to dodge anyone that might threaten our P5 status....and Ill throw this last shot in, ESPN created that more than you want to admit ! Now I'm hearing of layoffs at ESPN due to the fact they can't cover fiscally the monster they created.
Like I always say, "be careful what you ask for. You might just get it!"

typical too, comment without reading same as pretending to have knowledge that you don't have.

I now have a helmet (thanks to the kids) bike is still broken. My daughter suggested I wear it when I cut the grass, just to be safe :)

By the way, there is NO question that ESPN has facilitated much of the greed in college sports. And by valuing some conferences way more than others, it has helped create the stratification in College sports, no question! But Fox pays as much (or more) in the Big 12 and Pac 12 as ESPN does, and wait for the new Big Ten deal (I think Fox will get the lion’s share of that too). Fox may have begun the “race” when it took on a 25 year deal with Big Ten for the BTN, accepting only 49% ownership and 100% debt responsibility…… ESPN followed suit with an SEC offer that became the new standard, which was quickly surpassed by combo deals in the PAC 12 and Big 12, and unfortunately we were off to the races.

As to ESPN layoffs, certainly this is being driven by concerns about making growth estimates at Disney, but it also isn’t the first time, nor is it as large as the last time. 2 ½ years ago, ESPN laid off a little over 400 of its then 6000 workforce, this lay off will take 300 jobs out of a now 8000 employees. Also, and unfortunately, this is what happens in Corporate America (check out Wells Fargo this week), when companies have high retention of employees and those with 20+ years have risen to salary and benefit packages that can be replaced with new hires. Two of my friends who got let go in this round each had over 30 years with the company. Tragic. I don’t see this, however as harbinger of things to come and I think most people are reading way too much into it. A better barometer will be if ESPN gives year end bonuses this year, they have never failed to do so since their acquisition by CapCities, long before the Disney purchase. That will be a great indicator of financial health. I expect them to do so, btw.

As for membership in AAC, while I think it would be desirable on many levels, MU without the ability to take props requires some study. I too like the possibilities of CUSA developing into a very decent conference, right behind the MWC and AAC which are clearly at the top right now. I also agree that each league will be defined year by year on its ability to make the Access Bowl and that is more of a function of the individual school than the conference itself. Although the Strength (perceived or otherwise) of the conference is a factor in SOS determination.

My schedule, well, still have bills to pay!

typical too, comment without reading same as pretending to have knowledge that you don't have.

I now have a helmet (thanks to the kids) bike is still broken. My daughter suggested I wear it when I cut the grass, just to be safe :)

By the way, there is NO question that ESPN has facilitated much of the greed in college sports. And by valuing some conferences way more than others, it has helped create the stratification in College sports, no question! But Fox pays as much (or more) in the Big 12 and Pac 12 as ESPN does, and wait for the new Big Ten deal (I think Fox will get the lion’s share of that too). Fox may have begun the “race” when it took on a 25 year deal with Big Ten for the BTN, accepting only 49% ownership and 100% debt responsibility…… ESPN followed suit with an SEC offer that became the new standard, which was quickly surpassed by combo deals in the PAC 12 and Big 12, and unfortunately we were off to the races.

As to ESPN layoffs, certainly this is being driven by concerns about making growth estimates at Disney, but it also isn’t the first time, nor is it as large as the last time. 2 ½ years ago, ESPN laid off a little over 400 of its then 6000 workforce, this lay off will take 300 jobs out of a now 8000 employees. Also, and unfortunately, this is what happens in Corporate America (check out Wells Fargo this week), when companies have high retention of employees and those with 20+ years have risen to salary and benefit packages that can be replaced with new hires. Two of my friends who got let go in this round each had over 30 years with the company. Tragic. I don’t see this, however as harbinger of things to come and I think most people are reading way too much into it. A better barometer will be if ESPN gives year end bonuses this year, they have never failed to do so since their acquisition by CapCities, long before the Disney purchase. That will be a great indicator of financial health. I expect them to do so, btw.

As for membership in AAC, while I think it would be desirable on many levels, MU without the ability to take props requires some study. I too like the possibilities of CUSA developing into a very decent conference, right behind the MWC and AAC which are clearly at the top right now. I also agree that each league will be defined year by year on its ability to make the Access Bowl and that is more of a function of the individual school than the conference itself. Although the Strength (perceived or otherwise) of the conference is a factor in SOS determination.

My schedule, well, still have bills to pay!

Great stuff. Perception is everything and the AAC had made a nice jump in perception this year. The media,often because they are unimaginative imo, seem to be picking up the narrative that the AAC is pulling away from the G5 pack.

What would Marshall need to do to make a case for an invite to the AAC? The tv contract alone certainly makes the AAC a very appealing conference.

Great stuff. Perception is everything and the AAC had made a nice jump in perception this year. The media,often because they are unimaginative imo, seem to be picking up the narrative that the AAC is pulling away from the G5 pack.

What would Marshall need to do to make a case for an invite to the AAC? The tv contract alone certainly makes the AAC a very appealing conference.

AAC isn't looking to add, number 1. For Marshall to be a player they need to garner an Access slot and win, Basketball needs to improve and crowds need to be good in both sports. The big game changer though is FOOTBALL needs to continue to improve and become the 1-2-3-4 program every year in the Access discussion/s
Only thing that will get it done short of someone in the AAC dropping out. We also need to play at the top of their league...... Cincy, ECU, UCF, Temple, Memphis, UConn, etc and win in football

In the interim, we have to continue to be at the very top of CUSA and try to help make it better.

Going forward the AAC may be the jewel of G5 conferences. However, I say it is way to early to place a crown on them. Last year they were nothing special.I mean this season isn't even over. We have 2 pretty good teams and they have 3. Face it, Temple is having a good season and had a great win over Penn State. Look back over the past 20 years and tell me they are a powerhouse in football. Look at Memphis. I would say the same for them. Great win over Miss. Look at them the past 20 years. TBT their coach will be gone after this year and it will be back to business as usual in Memphis in a year or 2.Look at Houston-- who knows? All I am saying is Western Ky is on the rise, we are back and Southern Miss is coming back. I will take La Tech over Tulane any day of the week. Is SMU really any better than UTEP? ECU, UCF and UC are the 3 schools that give them the edge right now for sure. Who's to say what the ceiling is for UNCC and ODU in 5-10 years? Much speculation . Here is what I know. The college football cartel has already told us to sit in the back of the bus. They will never make room for more of us to sit at the counter with them than is already available with the NYD6 invite. So why worry? Lets just win football games and enjoy winning conference titles and Top 25 finishes. None of us are ever going to get a crack at the playoff so why kid ourselves. We have a proud program and an incredible group of fans. Go Herd!

Reactions: The Real SamC

You either know dshoe and don't like him hence you are making things up or you're ignorant.

Lol!! Got plenty who don't like me, for sure! Although I've never figured out why the truth, or at least someone's informed perception makes some people angry or uncomfortable. That said, he is right, I over punctuate :)

BTW, Dshoe I am watching on the local ATLANTA affiliate So Miss v Charlotte , something last year WATL chose not to broadcast from the ASN network broadcast, so thank you for getting them going in the right direction. WATL also broadcasted the Marshall v ODU game too which was great to be able to watch. ASN has improved over last year, and it's good to see them finally on the local Sinclair station.

Certainly working on it, that's for sure!!! Let's hope it continues in the right direction

Going forward the AAC may be the jewel of G5 conferences. However, I say it is way to early to place a crown on them. Last year they were nothing special.I mean this season isn't even over. We have 2 pretty good teams and they have 3. Face it, Temple is having a good season and had a great win over Penn State. Look back over the past 20 years and tell me they are a powerhouse in football. Look at Memphis. I would say the same for them. Great win over Miss. Look at them the past 20 years. TBT their coach will be gone after this year and it will be back to business as usual in Memphis in a year or 2.Look at Houston-- who knows? All I am saying is Western Ky is on the rise, we are back and Southern Miss is coming back. I will take La Tech over Tulane any day of the week. Is SMU really any better than UTEP? ECU, UCF and UC are the 3 schools that give them the edge right now for sure. Who's to say what the ceiling is for UNCC and ODU in 5-10 years? Much speculation . Here is what I know. The college football cartel has already told us to sit in the back of the bus. They will never make room for more of us to sit at the counter with them than is already available with the NYD6 invite. So why worry? Lets just win football games and enjoy winning conference titles and Top 25 finishes. None of us are ever going to get a crack at the playoff so why kid ourselves. We have a proud program and an incredible group of fans. Go Herd!

You underrate Memphis and the commitment they have made. You also underrate UConn and USF as valuable members of this league who will improve as the conf matures. Also you can't say enough about what UConn and Memphis bring on the Basketball side and Navy on the FB side.

Reactions: HerditAllBefore
You underrate Memphis and the commitment they have made. You also underrate UConn and USF as valuable members of this league who will improve as the conf matures. Also you can't say enough about what UConn and Memphis bring on the Basketball side and Navy on the FB side.
I was referring to football only. Of course those schools are huge in basketball. I don't agree with your assessment of Memphis in football. We will see going forward, everyone claims to be committed. I am not sure what U.Conn, and USF bring but I guess you can argue they are better than our bottom teams. My point isn't to get into a peeing contest. I just don't think there is any real advantage to playing in the AAC if the P5 club has closed up membership. Maybe UC has a chance at the Big 12, I don't know. I am not against going to it I am just not convinced we need to. PS. I have been wrong before just ask my wife.

I was referring to football only. Of course those schools are huge in basketball. I don't agree with your assessment of Memphis in football. We will see going forward, everyone claims to be committed. I am not sure what U.Conn, and USF bring but I guess you can argue they are better than our bottom teams. My point isn't to get into a peeing contest. I just don't think there is any real advantage to playing in the AAC if the P5 club has closed up membership. Maybe UC has a chance at the Big 12, I don't know. I am not against going to it I am just not convinced we need to. PS. I have been wrong before just ask my wife.

It will all come down to what kind of hire they make if they lose their coach. Your comparison's aren't really fair. Memphis can be as good as the hires they make. This won't be popular, but they could be the next Big 12 addition. Good fit for Big 12 and closes the geographic gap with WVU

The AAC is on Espn and CBS all the time. I think the exposure alone puts the conference in the strongest position going foward. Again perception is very powerful.
The top half of the AAC will keep getting stronger because of it. Plus the schoils have the money to pay coaches well.

So: Our conference sucks. So" We suck.... So" we are 7-1. So: Bring on more little sisters of the poor... I am good with where we are.

An ACC game just got bumped off ESPN 2 for next week's Houston vs Vanderbilt game live from Houston, TX. Memphis will be on CBS and College Gameday is headed to Philly for Temple vs Notre Dame.

CUSA would have never gotten something like this accomplished.

An ACC game just got bumped off ESPN 2 for next week's Houston vs Vanderbilt game live from Houston, TX. Memphis will be on CBS and College Gameday is headed to Philly for Temple vs Notre Dame.

CUSA would have never gotten something like this accomplished.

Cool

Hey, just wanted to point out that Memphis is overrated as hell. Soft D, no matter the "historic win" over soon to be 4/5 loss Ole Miss. Memphis would lose some games in CUSA, maybe as many as 3.

Watched Temple, and don't tell me they belong in the Top 25.

I can appreciate ESPN promoting "value" in the AAC, but it is the same conference as CUSA. Which g5 is the best will absolutely rotate yearly.

Want to re-evaluate Ole Miss?

As far as the AAC vs CUSA debate concerning our conference membership, it really comes down to long term goals at MU. Is our goal to end up in a P5 conference? Then it makes no sense to pay 7 mil to temporarily change to a conference that is just a little better. Is our goal to be a nationally recognized G5 ala Boise? Then a move to the AAC could make sense, depending on the possibility of some of their schools moving up (Cincy, Memphis, Houston, UConn) and weakening the conference strength/prestige, as well as the evaluation of CUSA improving in years to come (I don't know about you guys, but I see CUSA improving dramatically over the next 5-10 years).

Personally, I like our current situation. CUSA is a decent G5 conference in football, has good basketball, and has a lot of potential across the board. We already have future games with three of the four AAC teams I'd like to see us play (ECU, Navy, and Cincy. Now to get a series scheduled with UCF). And we wouldn't make any stronger of a case to join a P5 conference if we were in the AAC - just gotta keep winning, improve our basketball, and hope room opens up for us in the ACC - or whichever conference - once we're ready to make the jump.

As far as the AAC vs CUSA debate concerning our conference membership, it really comes down to long term goals at MU. Is our goal to end up in a P5 conference? Then it makes no sense to pay 7 mil to temporarily change to a conference that is just a little better. Is our goal to be a nationally recognized G5 ala Boise? Then a move to the AAC could make sense, depending on the possibility of some of their schools moving up (Cincy, Memphis, Houston, UConn) and weakening the conference strength/prestige, as well as the evaluation of CUSA improving in years to come (I don't know about you guys, but I see CUSA improving dramatically over the next 5-10 years).

Personally, I like our current situation. CUSA is a decent G5 conference in football, has good basketball, and has a lot of potential across the board. We already have future games with three of the four AAC teams I'd like to see us play (ECU, Navy, and Cincy. Now to get a series scheduled with UCF). And we wouldn't make any stronger of a case to join a P5 conference if we were in the AAC - just gotta keep winning, improve our basketball, and hope room opens up for us in the ACC - or whichever conference - once we're ready to make the jump.

Marshall will never ever be a P5 school, plus if a P5 conference is looking for a school, they will never looking to CUSA. We need to get into the AAC point blank

It will all come down to what kind of hire they make if they lose their coach. Your comparison's aren't really fair. Memphis can be as good as the hires they make. This won't be popular, but they could be the next Big 12 addition. Good fit for Big 12 and closes the geographic gap with WVU
you might want to stick to TV and college athletics because geography isn't our strong point. "closes the gap"? seriously? 750 miles? I mean, I guess it is about 100 miles closer than Ames Iowa which is 860 miles from Motown. Maybe when they discuss UC or any other school at least in the eastern time zone we can debate if the gap is or will be closed LOL

Reactions: Herd In the Plains
We really need an East/West Split in the G5

East - AAC

NORTH
MARSHALL
ECU
TEMPLE
CINCY
NAVY
UCONN
WKU
MTSU

SOUTH
Southern Miss
Memphis
Tulane
Louisiana Tech
UCF
USF
TULSA
SMU

West - Mountain West

Mountain
Houston
UTEP
Rice
UTSA
New Mexico
Colorado State
Air Force
Wyoming

Pacific
Boise
Utah State
Nevada
UNLV
San Jose State
San Diego State
Fresno State
Hawaii

This would clearly make the AAC and Mountain West the strongest 2 of the G5 conferences. And in turn would demand more TV money and exposure.

CUSA could look like this

East
ODU
UNCC
Appy State
Georgia Southern
FAU
FIU
Georgia State
UAB

West
South Alabama
Troy
Arkansas State
ULL
ULM
North Texas
Texas State
New Mexico State

MAC stays the same even possibly adding teams like Delaware, Youngstown State, and James Madison and the Sun Belt goes extinct

MAC - East

Ohio
Kent State
Akron
Youngstown State
James Madison
UMASS
Delaware
Buffalo
Miami(OH)

MAC West
Northern Illinois
Ball State
CMU
WMU
EMU
Toledo
Bowling Green
EKU
one of the best posts ever. you should be our AD

you might want to stick to TV and college athletics because geography isn't our strong point. "closes the gap"? seriously? 750 miles? I mean, I guess it is about 100 miles closer than Ames Iowa which is 860 miles from Motown. Maybe when they discuss UC or any other school at least in the eastern time zone we can debate if the gap is or will be closed LOL

Why does almost everyone who replies on these boards find the need to be sarcastic. Does anyone really believe it helps to get their point across?

Yes, Memphis would be a move further east for the Big 12, granted it is still a long way from Morgantown, but if you look at possible expansion candidates for Big 12 coming East, really only Cincy and Memphis are in that corridor, so yes it would help bridge the gap. Not a perfect solution to be sure, but the Big 12 office understands that WVU is currently on an island and adding a school from Florida helps no one, certainly not the geographically challenged. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see both Memphis and Cincinnati added at some point.

By the way, What happened to "Sudden" SamC? Has he quit on us. I actually really enjoy most of his posts. once he gets outside of his "AMIERICAN" dislike, he is an insightful poster on this board.

I was busy watching college football.

Catch Houston at UCF? Darn near 1000 people at that one. And USF playing, well, does it really matter? Probably doubled the attendance of its rival up I-4. In fact, I would wager that there were more empty seats for away games by (over) ranked teams in one week ever. Thanks to the fanless THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!!

Because that is the fundamental difference between Marshall and most of this THE AMERICAN!!!!!! non-thing. Fans. Long before any of us got here, the people of Huntington, southern West Virginia and the Tri-State took this very special college by a steel mill and made it what it is. In academics, and in athletics. It did not have to be that way. No real reason that in some alternate time line MU is not in the WVIAC. Or dropped football in 1965, or 1971, or 1985. Or still kidding itself in the Fairfield rathole. Or still in the SoCon, or the MAC.

That is THE AMERICAN!!!!. In a city of millions, UCF (a school with 50000 students who get in free, if they cared, and they don't) cannot draw a midget league crowd for a ranked team. Marshall, in a dying city in a dying state, sells out for Purdue. And at its KO Marcum/Mark Snyder worst, still could draw 20K every time the gates opened, no matter who we played or how bad we got beat. The fundamental difference between us and them.

A fan base.

And, because they mostly have no fans (ECU being the sole exception) they can take ESPN's money to fill time on random weeknights. We cannot. It would kill us to have to play that many weeknight games.

As to Cougar's idiocy. No, no ACC game was "bumped" for Houston (there is a website that tracks all of these five day holds and 12 day holds and all of that, games do not get 'bumped' they get assigned as the season goes on), and yes, Gameday, fresh from Harrisonburg and Fargo, is going to be at the NOTRE DAME game at Philadelphia. Opponent irrelevant, 99.5% of fans wearing green, seats sold long ago. And Memphis is on CBSSN, not CBS, which is, according to all of you THE AMERICAN!!!!! worshipers, a bad thing, because apparently there are people so stupid that they blindly stare at ESPN and wish somebody would invent a way to change channels, like maybe something called a "remote control". THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!! has no contract with CBS and never appears on CBS. Idiot.

As to all of this "build up CUSA", build it up what? All three legitimate group of 5 confs are the same. The MAC is a little behind and then there is the SBC. Win all your games, go to the access bowl. Lose once, play in Boca. Get money from the Power 5 based on a scientific formula. Last year, the first year of the system, CUSA won the money and the MWC got the "access bowl". This year is not over, but right now MAYBE THE AMERICAN!!!! gets both. Two years really isn't much of a sample, but that would be CUSA 1, THE AMERICAN!!! 1 in the power 5 payout formula, and MWC 1, THE AMERICAN!!!! 1 in the "access bowl". It will come and go over the years. There will be a year where a CUSA team plays in the "access bowl" and there will be more years where CUSA wins the formula $$. (And, as an aside, the bowl barons would way rather have many CUSA teams, and their fans, as these AMERICANS!!!!!!!, many of whom give away tickets to home games) .

As to ESPN, ESPN management made a classic over-bid for the NBA and is now shedding fat to cover it. Nothing really about college football, except that as new rights packages come open, ESPN has less money to spend and more and more games will end up on other networks (Fox Group, CBSSN, NBCSN, Sinclair, Turner, so on). That is a good thing, because the less powerful ESPN (because it DOES NOT cover sports in a fair manner) is, the better. IMHO.

Why does almost everyone who replies on these boards find the need to be sarcastic. Does anyone really believe it helps to get their point across?

Yes, Memphis would be a move further east for the Big 12, granted it is still a long way from Morgantown, but if you look at possible expansion candidates for Big 12 coming East, really only Cincy and Memphis are in that corridor, so yes it would help bridge the gap. Not a perfect solution to be sure, but the Big 12 office understands that WVU is currently on an island and adding a school from Florida helps no one, certainly not the geographically challenged. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see both Memphis and Cincinnati added at some point.
Do you think the Big 12 could fold? I mean you are talking expansion. All I see is reduction. What if Texas and Oklahoma went to the Pac 12? I have heard the idea of (4) 16 team conferences mentioned. That eliminates the odd man out conference under the current P5 set up. What do you think D shoe I am really curious based on your ties to espn

I was busy watching college football.

Catch Houston at UCF? Darn near 1000 people at that one. And USF playing, well, does it really matter? Probably doubled the attendance of its rival up I-4. In fact, I would wager that there were more empty seats for away games by (over) ranked teams in one week ever. Thanks to the fanless THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!!

Because that is the fundamental difference between Marshall and most of this THE AMERICAN!!!!!! non-thing. Fans. Long before any of us got here, the people of Huntington, southern West Virginia and the Tri-State took this very special college by a steel mill and made it what it is. In academics, and in athletics. It did not have to be that way. No real reason that in some alternate time line MU is not in the WVIAC. Or dropped football in 1965, or 1971, or 1985. Or still kidding itself in the Fairfield rathole. Or still in the SoCon, or the MAC.

That is THE AMERICAN!!!!. In a city of millions, UCF (a school with 50000 students who get in free, if they cared, and they don't) cannot draw a midget league crowd for a ranked team. Marshall, in a dying city in a dying state, sells out for Purdue. And at its KO Marcum/Mark Snyder worst, still could draw 20K every time the gates opened, no matter who we played or how bad we got beat. The fundamental difference between us and them.

A fan base.

And, because they mostly have no fans (ECU being the sole exception) they can take ESPN's money to fill time on random weeknights. We cannot. It would kill us to have to play that many weeknight games.

As to Cougar's idiocy. No, no ACC game was "bumped" for Houston (there is a website that tracks all of these five day holds and 12 day holds and all of that, games do not get 'bumped' they get assigned as the season goes on), and yes, Gameday, fresh from Harrisonburg and Fargo, is going to be at the NOTRE DAME game at Philadelphia. Opponent irrelevant, 99.5% of fans wearing green, seats sold long ago. And Memphis is on CBSSN, not CBS, which is, according to all of you THE AMERICAN!!!!! worshipers, a bad thing, because apparently there are people so stupid that they blindly stare at ESPN and wish somebody would invent a way to change channels, like maybe something called a "remote control". THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!! has no contract with CBS and never appears on CBS. Idiot.

As to all of this "build up CUSA", build it up what? All three legitimate group of 5 confs are the same. The MAC is a little behind and then there is the SBC. Win all your games, go to the access bowl. Lose once, play in Boca. Get money from the Power 5 based on a scientific formula. Last year, the first year of the system, CUSA won the money and the MWC got the "access bowl". This year is not over, but right now MAYBE THE AMERICAN!!!! gets both. Two years really isn't much of a sample, but that would be CUSA 1, THE AMERICAN!!! 1 in the power 5 payout formula, and MWC 1, THE AMERICAN!!!! 1 in the "access bowl". It will come and go over the years. There will be a year where a CUSA team plays in the "access bowl" and there will be more years where CUSA wins the formula $$. (And, as an aside, the bowl barons would way rather have many CUSA teams, and their fans, as these AMERICANS!!!!!!!, many of whom give away tickets to home games) .

As to ESPN, ESPN management made a classic over-bid for the NBA and is now shedding fat to cover it. Nothing really about college football, except that as new rights packages come open, ESPN has less money to spend and more and more games will end up on other networks (Fox Group, CBSSN, NBCSN, Sinclair, Turner, so on). That is a good thing, because the less powerful ESPN (because it DOES NOT cover sports in a fair manner) is, the better. IMHO.
AAC does have contract with CBS. CBS has broadcast fewer CUSA games because of it. UCF and the AAC have better attendance than CUSA aND Marshall. Don't let facts get in the way.

Some of us like sarcasm. Some try to be codecending know it alls. I guess it's a matter of personal preference. I'll get you a map

Reactions: Herd In the Plains
AAC does have contract with CBS. CBS has broadcast fewer CUSA games because of it.

W R O N G .

CBS has only one contract. With the SEC.

CBSSN, a cable channel, has a contract with both THE AMERICAN!!!!!!! and with CUSA.

http://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-sports-network/releases/view?id=36355

The idiot Cougar lied, or is just so plain stupid that he, like you, did not know the difference, that Memphis was "going to be on CBS" and that that "could not happen in CUSA". Memphis is going to be on CBSSN, not CBS, and that happens all the time.

UCF and the AAC have better attendance than CUSA aND Marshall. Don't let facts get in the way.

W R O N G .

You count the people, genius.

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/2659728/size/condensed/

Next time know a little about your subject matter.

Reactions: IslandHerd1
W R O N G .

CBS has only one contract. With the SEC.

CBSSN, a cable channel, has a contract with both THE AMERICAN!!!!!!! and with CUSA.

http://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-sports-network/releases/view?id=36355

The idiot Cougar lied, or is just so plain stupid that he, like you, did not know the difference, that Memphis was "going to be on CBS" and that that "could not happen in CUSA". Memphis is going to be on CBSSN, not CBS, and that happens all the time.

W R O N G .

You count the people, genius.

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/2659728/size/condensed/

Next time know a little about your subject matter.

With all due respect. CBS and the AAC do have a financial contract. Linkhttp://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/tu/football/aac-tv-deal-is-with-espn-cbs-sports/article_be99055d-ac62-502c-9ce3-eb99bb0f59aa.html

Also, through the Houston game UCF was averaging 32000 during a down year. If Marshall averages more than this, my apologies.

Do you think the Big 12 could fold? I mean you are talking expansion. All I see is reduction. What if Texas and Oklahoma went to the Pac 12? I have heard the idea of (4) 16 team conferences mentioned. That eliminates the odd man out conference under the current P5 set up. What do you think D shoe I am really curious based on your ties to espn
No chance. Big Ten may make one more run at Texas after they see their new TV contract. But PAC 12 is likely a non-starter. BIg 12 only has 10 teams, many would like to get o 12 and all of them recognize the disadvantage that WVU is in location wise. Big 12 also has the highest payout per school so nobody is exactly anxious to leave. BIg 12 is only at risk because it is small. I look for them to eventually add Memphis and Cincinnati (they are as good as anybody out there and make the league even better in Basketball) to get better geographic balance.

Reactions: ohio herd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT