ADVERTISEMENT

This game should be Huff's UTEP.

Spears should fire him before they leave the locker room.
Huff might be playing chess. Spears can’t fire him, because it appears as if he quit on the team tonight. You play to win, we did not. Sitting our best player by CHOICE did no favors to any player on the team, fans in the stands, boosters, and those watching at home. Fire this clown 🤡!

Maybe we are learning as much about the abilities of CS as we have about CH. We already know what CH is, a career position coach, who should be bouncing around the major programs "recruiting" and telling the kids to hit the weight room. That is his level. We already knew that.

But what of CS? This is his first ride in the big chair. He had a career as an assistant. Making sure background things got done. Bills paid, reservations at hotels, fuel in the bus, uniforms washed, etc. Now he has to make the big decisions the actual AD makes.

Does he get CH out of here, today, or do they become an entry, 1 and 1A, bound together, bet one and get both. Making CH's 24 failure 100% on CS, and meaning we must fire both.

The athletic department has no leadership.

Reactions: RhinoD
Maybe we are learning as much about the abilities of CS as we have about CH. We already know what CH is, a career position coach, who should be bouncing around the major programs "recruiting" and telling the kids to hit the weight room. That is his level. We already knew that.

But what of CS? This is his first ride in the big chair. He had a career as an assistant. Making sure background things got done. Bills paid, reservations at hotels, fuel in the bus, uniforms washed, etc. Now he has to make the big decisions the actual AD makes.

Does he get CH out of here, today, or do they become an entry, 1 and 1A, bound together, bet one and get both. Making CH's 24 failure 100% on CS, and meaning we must fire both.

The athletic department has no leadership.
He'll probably take it out on some olympic sport coach.

He'll probably take it out on some olympic sport coach.
First, of course, a good AD should spend 1% of his time on "olympic" sports, which is the cute marketing name that the NCAA came up with for "non-revenue sports" AKA sports you lose money on. And, I am as proud of, and as dumbfounded by, the men's soccer success as anyone else. So CS has, IIRC, fired the women's soccer and basketball coaches, neither of which were successful, at the ordinary end of season times. Fine. The new basketball coach was successful at a much lower level, and give her a chance and see what happens. Since Title IX and a view that women's sports are not valuable, is not universal across the world, I don't see why the men's soccer system could not work with women as well. But then we have the baseball coach. Fired with no explanation given to the fans and donors, months after the end of the season period. No explanation given because CS doesn't think he owes us any. Arrogance.

But second, as I said, that is 1% of the time. 99% is football and men's basketball. That is what is important. That is what pays the bills. And in football, we have an incompetent and arrogant coach. Which is the world's worst combination. In basketball we have a senior citizen retired HS coach.

And for AD, we seem to be learning we have some guy.

Reactions: RhinoD
First, of course, a good AD should spend 1% of his time on "olympic" sports, which is the cute marketing name that the NCAA came up with for "non-revenue sports" AKA sports you lose money on. And, I am as proud of, and as dumbfounded by, the men's soccer success as anyone else. So CS has, IIRC, fired the women's soccer and basketball coaches, neither of which were successful, at the ordinary end of season times. Fine. The new basketball coach was successful at a much lower level, and give her a chance and see what happens. Since Title IX and a view that women's sports are not valuable, is not universal across the world, I don't see why the men's soccer system could not work with women as well. But then we have the baseball coach. Fired with no explanation given to the fans and donors, months after the end of the season period. No explanation given because CS doesn't think he owes us any. Arrogance.

But second, as I said, that is 1% of the time. 99% is football and men's basketball. That is what is important. That is what pays the bills. And in football, we have an incompetent and arrogant coach. Which is the world's worst combination. In basketball we have a senior citizen retired HS coach.

And for AD, we seem to be learning we have some guy.
My point was he'd do something like the NCAA does when a bigger program gets into trouble. Instead of hammering the offending program, they'll go pick on some smaller G5 to flex their muscle.

Huff needs to be fired, but instead Spears will probably fire some unsuspecting track coach or something.

I just hope we get another tweet about last night being "unacceptable" but we aren't going to do anything about it, so get fired up for 2024!

Why can’t Spears fire him?
Launch his ass
he doesnt have the authority to. CH does not answer to CS. CS answers to CH, as does he need more coffee? do we have to have the lights on for practice. that sort of thing.
CH answers to Brad/ the BOG. If Brad wants him fired, he'll be gone, if the BOG wants him gone, Brad will either have to fire him or himself get fired. Right now, Brad does not want to fire CH. Why? IDK and the BOG would make a huge mistake, making Brad do something he does not want to do. Brad has too much currency going for MU right now. MU needs Brad more than Brad needs MU (total opposite from Gilbert)

he doesnt have the authority to. CH does not answer to CS. CS answers to CH, as does he need more coffee? do we have to have the lights on for practice. that sort of thing.
CH answers to Brad/ the BOG. If Brad wants him fired, he'll be gone, if the BOG wants him gone, Brad will either have to fire him or himself get fired. Right now, Brad does not want to fire CH. Why? IDK and the BOG would make a huge mistake, making Brad do something he does not want to do. Brad has too much currency going for MU right now. MU needs Brad more than Brad needs MU (total opposite from Gilbert)
Plus it would be just dumb to fire him right now. Who we gonna hire? Another lame duck position coach? At this point we gotta ride out 2024 and hope for a miracle. If that doesn't happen, hopefully we are searching for a coach right now till the end of the 2024 season. We can't miss on the next hire.

Plus it would be just dumb to fire him right now. Who we gonna hire? Another lame duck position coach? At this point we gotta ride out 2024 and hope for a miracle. If that doesn't happen, hopefully we are searching for a coach right now till the end of the 2024 season. We can't miss on the next hire.
+ isn’t nat’l signing day just days away?

A lot of fans here wanting something to happen they are not willing to pay for.

I've been reading for years Marshall cant afford, broke, who wants the job....blah blah blah. Now? Pay the guy to leave and hire a new guy.....Yeah, pay 2 head coaches for a year!!! Great stuff.

A lot of fans here wanting something to happen they are not willing to pay for.

I've been reading for years Marshall cant afford, broke, who wants the job....blah blah blah. Now? Pay the guy to leave and hire a new guy.....Yeah, pay 2 head coaches for a year!!! Great stuff.

Well seems right now we’re paying for 1 HC and actually have 0, so pick your poison .

So a game that 95% on here say was a meaningless pre-Christmas bowl game and it was no accomplishment to make it etc….now suddenly the meaningless game suddenly means something different if it fits a narrative.

So a game that 95% on here say was a meaningless pre-Christmas bowl game and it was no accomplishment to make it etc….now suddenly the meaningless game suddenly means something different if it fits a narrative.
Something to behold.

Besides all the new realizations that our #1 player Ali was suddenly sitting the bench (despite doing it all season), a number of players not playing because they entered the portal and the fact we were preparing and playing without a number of coaches after being fired, (which the fans were crying to happen--new guys not participating in preparation for the game), what did the fan base actually believe was going to happen?? Did people think this wasn't going to be a shitshow; that we had a shot winning?? Frankly, I'm surprised the score was not worse.

The idea that, somehow, Marshall cannot "afford" to fire CH is exactly backwards. Say you have a house and it is being destroyed by mold. In a few years, the house will be unhealthy and uninhabitable, but the man to fix it costs $$. You call the man and save the house.

CH, and CS, are causing damage to this program that will take years to fix, some of it may never be. Just like MS and Satan's Vile Servant, KOM, did. Some of that damage still exists to this day, despite all the work of Doc and Mike. In the new reality of college sports, the very EXISTANCE of Marshall football, certainly Marshall football at a I-A level, hangs in the balance.

Marshall cannot afford NOT to fire CH.

Sam, you’re into proof, I get it. Not disagreeing in this instance, but answer me this:
In the span of your lifetime, since you were old enough to remember, has there been an instance (excluding Perry Moss, fired for violating the rules) where Marshall University has parted company with a men’s football or men’s basketball head coach prior to the end of their contract?

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Sam, you’re into proof, I get it. Not disagreeing in this instance, but answer me this:
In the span of your lifetime, since you were old enough to remember, has there been an instance (excluding Perry Moss, fired for violating the rules) where Marshall University has parted company with a men’s football or men’s basketball head coach prior to the end of their contract?
You have a short memory...

Ron Jirsa was fired with two years left on his contract.

You have a short memory...

Ron Jirsa was fired with two years left on his contract.
So, apparently in let’s say the last 60 years, once we went on an 8 day run & fired 1 coach with time left on his contract (sound familiar Sam?). The overwhelming majority of our history we only part company with a football or basketball coach when their contract expires. And in the case of the sport in question (football), you can’t name even one instance where Marshall has let a football coach go with time time left on their contract?
I rest my case.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
Snyder fired

Short memory, and you are not very good at Google either... Snyder "resigned" with three years left on his contract. He was paid one lump sum for the final 3 seasons of the deal.

Snyder fired

Short memory, and you are not very good at Google either... Snyder "resigned" with three years left on his contract. He was paid one lump sum for the final 3 seasons of the deal.
So now that I’ve been corrected:
1 time in basketball in 60 years
1 time in football in 60 years
Marshall isn’t in the habit of letting their football or basketball coaches go until the end of their contracts.
Fair statement?

The idea that, somehow, Marshall cannot "afford" to fire CH is exactly backwards. Say you have a house and it is being destroyed by mold. In a few years, the house will be unhealthy and uninhabitable, but the man to fix it costs $$. You call the man and save the house.

CH, and CS, are causing damage to this program that will take years to fix, some of it may never be. Just like MS and Satan's Vile Servant, KOM, did. Some of that damage still exists to this day, despite all the work of Doc and Mike. In the new reality of college sports, the very EXISTANCE of Marshall football, certainly Marshall football at a I-A level, hangs in the balance.

Agreed. I don't buy that Marshall can't afford to buyout Huff. Marshall would make up a chunk of that money just from the excitement around a new coach (i.e. increased/renewed season tix sales; donors coming back). I should qualify that by saying Marshall would get that uptick in tix sales/donations IF the university were to hire a good, qualified coach -- which it hasn't done since BP.

As it stands, season ticket sales will decline in 2024. I don't think the administration understands how pissed the fanbase is, but they're going to find out the hard way when there are more empty seats than usual next season.

Agreed. I don't buy that Marshall can't afford to buyout Huff. Marshall would make up a chunk of that money just from the excitement around a new coach (i.e. increased/renewed season tix sales; donors coming back). I should qualify that by saying Marshall would get that uptick in tix sales/donations IF the university were to hire a good, qualified coach -- which it hasn't done since BP.

As it stands, season ticket sales will decline in 2024. I don't think the administration understands how pissed the fanbase is, but they're going to find out the hard way when there are more empty seats than usual next season.
You are talking about a fan base that bitches about $10/seat season tickets prices for a brand-new baseball field everyone has cried for over 25+ years to get. You think guys like Sammy are suddenly going to start writing checks instead of writing worthless diatribes on a message board?? Guys like him dont even attend Marshall football games.

You really think Marshall athletics has $1.4M sitting in an account to pay for 2 head coaches next year? LMAO.

Marshall has NEVER fired a football coach and been required to pay the full remaining salary. As was mentioned, Snyder resigned and received a negotiated payoff...meaning, a fraction what he was owed. No one is going to step up and write the $700K+ check necessary to move CH on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT