ADVERTISEMENT

Video Board

Do you know anyone that thinks our game day atmosphere is good? Maybe Aaron.
Point being, any marketer knows you cater to your customer base. It's not all about the students, ****, they don't come anyway.
You play a variety of music, have engaging graphics and organize the whole event so it's not a cluster****. Age has nothing to do with any of those.

Marshall needs to same attitude as a minor league baseball game. Constant action when play isn't going on.

Ads pay the bills for sure but if that's all they can do with this new one, it was time and money wasted.
You’re right but that constant action of old white guys will just ensure that no one new shows up and that customer base dies. You have to grow your business to survive and that means going out on a limb. I’m not saying completely alienate the old guys but you gotta try something new

You’re right but that constant action of old white guys will just ensure that no one new shows up and that customer base dies. You have to grow your business to survive and that means going out on a limb. I’m not saying completely alienate the old guys but you gotta try something new
I certainly agree. We have to try new ways to lure the average fan. The fan base has been eroding for years. It's just a stale environment, even for us old white guys.

We can't do that, the players and students will be bored. Have no idea on how to react, they wouldn't play their best, SLAM their black helmets to the ground in disgust, and the students would leave early. LOL!

Then fans could blame Huff and Spears.
Huff, post game:
“Well, I talked to the kids, and they are blaming the music. Can’t say as I blame them; never liked that shit when I was a kid either. Gonna have to get that fixed! I’ve spoken with AD Spears, and he is blaming the lack of a dedicated control room for the video board. Whatever.
All I know is the football program! We’ve got to get better, and we will get better, disco music be damned……”

• Haha
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Huff, post game:
“Well, I talked to the kids, and they are blaming the music. Can’t say as I blame them; never liked that shit when I was a kid either. Gonna have to get that fixed! I’ve spoken with AD Spears, and he is blaming the lack of a dedicated control room for the video board. Whatever.
All I know is the football program! We’ve got to get better, and we will get better, disco music be damned……”
Excellent!!!!

Huff continued, saying, "Some guys like Future, Stormzy, Nasty C, while some guys like Usher, Drake and Lizzo. Now Porter likes Carrie Underwood and Toby Keith. Fancher is a big classical music guy - but hell, we can't play that crap on the PA, all the people in the chairbacks would fall asleep. I just tell the guys, don't worry about the music, focus on the game and opponent."

• Haha
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
When the under 40 crowd starts donating the bucks and buying season tix, then they can mouth off. I don't see many of them doing either.

Thank goodness you aren't in charge of anything MU and never will be.

"We have to figure out how to increase attendance amongst the students."

"I have an idea! Let's not cater to them, and instead, continue to demand MU owes us something!!"

Do you know anyone that thinks our game day atmosphere is good? Maybe Aaron.
Point being, any marketer knows you cater to your customer base. It's not all about the students, ****, they don't come anyway.
You play a variety of music, have engaging graphics and organize the whole event so it's not a cluster****. Age has nothing to do with any of those.

Marshall needs to same attitude as a minor league baseball game. Constant action when play isn't going on.

Ads pay the bills for sure but if that's all they can do with this new one, it was time and money wasted.

Well, MU would ask you to pitch in paying the bills to reduce advertising, but then you'd complain about money.

People with your feeble minded outlook, really believe MU can do without advertising but also are the first to complain about the local economy and ticket prices and, "well why should we pay that amount when we get so less back?"

So now it's NOT about the students because they don't show up?
Maybe because your previous post is the reason for it?
Why is it when newer, updated ideas from a younger generation, get such vile opposition from the older crowd?
Oh, wait, it's the social world that exists in WV...because change scares the old people.

It also isn't like MU isn't trying. Prior to Huff coming here, they never blocked off 20th street. They never poured out the type of things we've seen.

The DJ was a bad idea, but I liked that MU tried something different. It could still work, possibly, but it requires much better planning.
Of course the idea was shot down before it even came to fruition, and many on here gave themselves a pat on the back for being right, which meant MU made a mistake, and they felt good about themselves.

MU is going to keep trying and you'd contribute more to the society within if you'd get on board with some of their ideas.

Brilliant thought process...let's bring baseball to a football game.

You can't get constant action because that stuff needs time to establish and set up. Baseball doesn't have a game clock.
You'll have people running all over the place and you old folks will be bashing it, and say, "We came to watch a football game, not have a circus."

When everyone comes to Raleigh this year to see NCST vs Marshall...pay attention to their game day experience. They do a phenomenal job keeping the fans engaged throughout the game.

Eliminating the depressing "cancer" and "ambulance chaser-lawyer" commercials at the Joan would be a great first step.

Brilliant thought process...let's bring baseball to a football game.

You can't get constant action because that stuff needs time to establish and set up. Baseball doesn't have a game clock.
You'll have people running all over the place and you old folks will be bashing it, and say, "We came to watch a football game, not have a circus."
Baseball has a pitch clock. Attended an Asheville Tourists game last week. Good music between innings with just enough action between certain innings to keep the fans attention and having fun. A definite balancing act, but is done in multiple sports, on multiple levels.

There isn’t a stadium in the country that isn’t playing rap music. Get over it.

Frankly, the DJ wasn’t a bad idea which should have been fun for everyone in attendance. But as usual, someone forgot to tell Marshall that someone is needed to coordinate/direct all of the competing interests (commercials, field recognitions, band, DJ etc) so it’s not a giant clusterfvck.

It’s almost like no one has gone to a game outside Huntington and seen how other schools manage their in stadium activities. Bizarre

Frankly, the DJ wasn’t a bad idea which should have been fun for everyone in attendance. But as usual, someone forgot to tell Marshall that someone is needed to coordinate/direct all of the competing interests (commercials, field recognitions, band, DJ etc) so it’s not a giant clusterfvck.

It’s almost like no one has gone to a game outside Huntington and seen how other schools manage their in stadium activities. Bizarre
I wonder if we have a meeting of all vested parties before the season to coordinate what goes on - football rep., band, cheerleaders, PA and press box people, etc. Seems like a natural thing to do - but maybe not to them.

I wonder if we have a meeting of all vested parties before the season to coordinate what goes on - football rep., band, cheerleaders, PA and press box people, etc. Seems like a natural thing to do - but maybe not to them.
Based on what we have all witnessed...that's a big "Hell NO". I would suggest it's never happened, or if it has, it was a one and done. Someone got their feelings hurt or someone stepped into another's "territory" and everyone went back to doing their own thing. Regardless, the in the stadium experience is a shitshow. For all that has improved outside the stadium with music etc, the inside is pitiful.

Based on what we have all witnessed...that's a big "Hell NO". I would suggest it's never happened, or if it has, it was a one and done. Someone got their feelings hurt or someone stepped into another's "territory" and everyone went back to doing their own thing. Regardless, the in the stadium experience is a shitshow. For all that has improved outside the stadium with music etc, the inside is pitiful.
Just tell the band to play alooooottt louder, show some replays, music here and there and win championships!

I agree. However, basketball last year was a thousand times better. Maybe now that Spears has had full year to digest it all, we will see some change.

The 25-30 people in the band are probably playing as loud as they can and are most likely physically tapped out after halftime.

Agree with the championships.
jazz GIF by Challenger

Baseball has a pitch clock. Attended an Asheville Tourists game last week. Good music between innings with just enough action between certain innings to keep the fans attention and having fun. A definite balancing act, but is done in multiple sports, on multiple levels.

And football has a play clock...what's your point with that?
Baseball is inherently slower paced than football...they have specifically catered to keeping crowds entertained and have a century head start on it.
What "action" do you speak of? Some form of contest I am guessing where the winner gets a free pizza from the local pizza vendor? Yeah, I did like those, but if you don't have a sponsor willing to pay for it, you won't get it.

As for the music? Subjective. There's 25,000+ people attending l, you aren't going to please them all with the music. But if there's one target demographic who helps improve the atmosphere, it's the drunken students, hip hop is their music of choice, so if it's that, tough shit gramps, pop in some airpods if you REALLY don't like it.

Reactions: ThunderDrunk304
If they're listening to rap music and not paying attention to what's going on on the field they're not much use to the team.

You're too simple minded to understand that YES the players DO occasionally listen to the music as they trot into the field.
The brief amount they hear can certainly put them into an intense mood.
They aren't going to get amped up at Dave Matthews Band...more likely to Lil Wayne or Polo G.
But then again, such things elude you.

Reactions: ThunderDrunk304
The 25-30 people in the band are probably playing as loud as they can and are most likely physically tapped out after halftime.

Agree with the championships.
I would hope they are gassed by halftime.

Play a tune on first down. Play the fight song on a TD.
That would mean MU was dominating.

And football has a play clock...what's your point with that?
Baseball is inherently slower paced than football...they have specifically catered to keeping crowds entertained and have a century head start on it.
What "action" do you speak of? Some form of contest I am guessing where the winner gets a free pizza from the local pizza vendor? Yeah, I did like those, but if you don't have a sponsor willing to pay for it, you won't get it.

As for the music? Subjective. There's 25,000+ people attending l, you aren't going to please them all with the music. But if there's one target demographic who helps improve the atmosphere, it's the drunken students, hip hop is their music of choice, so if it's that, tough shit gramps, pop in some airpods if you REALLY don't like it.
The students don't give a **** whats playing. Their on their phones watching tik tok or making duck lip pictures. A bunch of ****ing clueless little shits. They leave at halftime - or have you not noticed? They haven't attended in good numbers for years.

Reactions: johns1124
The students don't give a **** whats playing. Their on their phones watching tik tok or making duck lip pictures. A bunch of ****ing clueless little shits. They leave at halftime - or have you not noticed? They haven't attended in good numbers for years.
There was a question asked in there...

I'm going to let you try to find it.

Here's a hint, the sentence ends with a "?" So go out there and do your best!!!

There was a question asked in there...

I'm going to let you try to find it.

Here's a hint, the sentence ends with a "?" So go out there and do your best!!!
You seem to have all the answers my man, call Spears and tell him how to fix all our problems/issues. LOL!

You seem to have all the answers my man, call Spears and tell him how to fix all our problems/issues. LOL!
I never said I did, hence why I asked you a question about your experience.
Thank goodness you aren't in charge of anything major around here...you'd seriously tank it quickly.

Just admit it, you really don't have an astute observation on how the GameDay experience can be better, do you?

I never said I did, hence why I asked you a question about your experience.
Thank goodness you aren't in charge of anything major around here...you'd seriously tank it quickly.

Just admit it, you really don't have an astute observation on how the GameDay experience can be better, do you?
I do and the issues/concerns have been stated many times, by many posters. But anything I or anyone offers is met by a childish diatribe and remarks by you. I don't know if you are in middle school or some dude trying to play internet bad ass. Grow the **** up. Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. But you're a gawd damn expert on assuming what people are thinking and putting words in mouths without having a clue.

You seem to enjoy an experience that most have said for years could be better. My only conclusion is -
1. You don't actually attend the games as you say you do. Thus have no idea what many of us are speaking of.
2. Must be employed by the university, thus anything said is taken personally.
Have a great weekend chief.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Marshall has never really had a huge student section.. years past on the really good 90’s run not to bad, or maybe some key big games in Huntington… I don’t put blame on them, our team hasn’t quite lived up to pack the stadium status lately, even now that the endzone is covered….. we take a loss at ECU we don’t sellout VT….

It isn’t just going to a football game for the students. Their generation has been raised on video games & their iPhones/social media/tik tok you name it. Their attention span is like a horny guy driving in the middle of a 12 lane highway, and all the vehicles ahead have topless women jiggling, smiling & winking at him. What’s a guy to do?
And this isn’t just a Marshall problem….

sounds like some of you “fans” are really jealous of a college kid doing what a college kids does or have always done..

sucks growing up doesn’t it.?
“does or has always done.”?
Huh?
Has always had a cell phone? Has always had FB? Has always paid w/o using currency? Has always been able to use A.I. to write that Econ term paper? Has always been a latch key kid? Has always been born after 2000?
Nah, nah GHGHII, you don’t get away with that.
Your forte’ is offense. Your weak back hand is defense. Let’s hope the Herd isn’t like you in the upcoming football campaign!

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I do and the issues/concerns have been stated many times, by many posters. But anything I or anyone offers is met by a childish diatribe and remarks by you. I don't know if you are in middle school or some dude trying to play internet bad ass. Grow the **** up. Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. But you're a gawd damn expert on assuming what people are thinking and putting words in mouths without having a clue.

You seem to enjoy an experience that most have said for years could be better. My only conclusion is -
1. You don't actually attend the games as you say you do. Thus have no idea what many of us are speaking of.
2. Must be employed by the university, thus anything said is taken personally.
Have a great weekend chief.
As always, you either think of me as not a fan or working for the MU AD as if I am some sort of spy and/or conspirator.

Just answer the question like an adult...

What, specifically, did you see in your minor league baseball game, that you believe could be added to a collegiate football game involving Marshall?

Now, I imagine being called out is a bit scary for you, and probably makes your pee pee hurt much like the softies complaining about the urinals...but man up and just, for f***'s sake, enlighten us with your minor league NC baseball team's approach to crowd entertainment for a Marshall football game.

Frankly, I don't envy kids today. That's for damn sure. A lot of crap going on that they have to deal with.

The best part is everything you have tried to do, won't be remembered by them...because of many things, but mainly because you're a loser and really haven't contributed to MU in the way you believe you have.
You give whatever pennies you can afford, for so many years, which, longevity makes you believe you're a big deal, you aren't.

Just one of those students you don't envy, could wind up being the next major donor and I'm talking multi-millions to MU, demolishing your pocket change contributions, and you'd be the first on here kissing their ass about how great they are, while they don't care nor know, who the hell you are.

Just remember that.

The best part is everything you have tried to do, won't be remembered by them...because of many things, but mainly because you're a loser and really haven't contributed to MU in the way you believe you have.
You give whatever pennies you can afford, for so many years, which, longevity makes you believe you're a big deal, you aren't.

Just one of those students you don't envy, could wind up being the next major donor and I'm talking multi-millions to MU, demolishing your pocket change contributions, and you'd be the first on here kissing their ass about how great they are, while they don't care nor know, who the hell you are.

Just remember that.
You are so full of shit, I don’t know whether it’s coming from your arse or your mouth.
You are calling someone you have never met a loser, based on what? Comments made on a sports message board?
GHMY - you have zero knowledge of what anyone on here has donated over the course of their lifetime post-MU.
You also ascribe intent to offend where none existed. We were discussing challenges facing today’s youth. He stated he doesn’t envy them those challenges; certainly not casting aspersions as you infer.
Finally you spew a word salad that I’m still ciphering to figure out.
Get over yourself GHMY. Your sophomoric attacks on individuals is wasted energy. Respect others time. Nobody wants to read this garbage. We’re on here to (hopefully) get info on the upcoming season, relive good old Herd moments & contemplate new ones yet to occur. That’s it.
Just remember that!
WS

You are so full of shit, I don’t know whether it’s coming from your arse or your mouth.
You are calling someone you have never met a loser, based on what? Comments made on a sports message board?
GHMY - you have zero knowledge of what anyone on here has donated over the course of their lifetime post-MU.
You also ascribe intent to offend where none existed. We were discussing challenges facing today’s youth. He stated he doesn’t envy them those challenges; certainly not casting aspersions as you infer.
Finally you spew a word salad that I’m still ciphering to figure out.
Get over yourself GHMY. Your sophomoric attacks on individuals is wasted energy. Respect others time. Nobody wants to read this garbage. We’re on here to (hopefully) get info on the upcoming season, relive good old Herd moments & contemplate new ones yet to occur. That’s it.
Just remember that!
WSan asshole. Ask him if he has donated to the Vision, Herd Rises, BG, Foundation, Has season Tix to football and soccer. Bought a brick for the baseball stadium. He hasn't.
GoTurdMouthYes is a arse.Just ignore him, I will going forward. He can't mentally accept someone has a thought different from him. It's just a weakness we have to overlook.

He can't discuss anything without snide comments or personal attacks. Exhausting. Taking the high road going forward.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT