ADVERTISEMENT

Where Is Coach Stowers?

: 468"]And that’s understandable, but when it comes to listening to fans, they have no choice but to listen to the ones that pay the bills first.

There’s a good chance that people buying season tickets and/or donating money to the athletic department are legit fans and know the players’ names.

Complete and utter bullshit[/QUOTE]

How so?

Explain why you’d be willing to listen to someone that gives $1 over someone that gives $100.

Yes, there are plenty more $1 donors, but where have those people been lately?

The attendance was atrocious for the FIU game. We were 6-1 with our only loss being on the road to a Top 20 team and we couldn’t break 20k. It’s disheartening for the players more than anything. Those kids are out there busting their asses probably 300 out of the 365 days a year and we couldn’t even sell half our stadium’s allotment. And fans think that Marshall needs to attempt changing conferences......It’s laughable.

Complete and utter bullshit

How so?

Explain why you’d be willing to listen to someone that gives $1 over someone that gives $100.

The attendance was atrocious for the FIU game. We were 6-1 with our only loss being on the road to a Top 20 team and we couldn’t break 20k. It’s disheartening for the players more than anything. Those kids are out there busting their asses probably 300 out of the 365 days a year and we couldn’t even sell half our stadium’s allotment. And fans think that Marshall needs to attempt changing conferences......It’s laughable.[/QUOTE]

Maybe those fans who aren’t big donors who have been told they shouldn’t have an opinion are really voicing their opinion.

Maybe those fans who aren’t big donors who have been told they shouldn’t have an opinion are really voicing their opinion.

That would be believable if that hadn’t been the case for the last “x” amount of years.

Hell, in 2014, we were 11-0 going into WKU and our attendance was laughable for that game. I mean, we had won 12 games in a row dating back to the 2013 Military Bowl and we couldn’t sell tickets.

One week later we hosted the C-USA Championship game and didn’t break 25k.

The only time we ever legitimately sell tickets is for a P5 opponent and/or Homecoming (on occasion).

It’s like fans would rather watch a P5 team than they would their own team (Marshall).

Besides that, the Big Green membership is at an all-time high (I’m fairly certain), albeit far too low of a number.

Josh, do you think we will see a strong fan support for Western Kentucky? And will the (QB) race be wide open next January (2018)?

That would be believable if that hadn’t been the case for the last “x” amount of years.

Hell, in 2014, we were 11-0 going into WKU and our attendance was laughable for that game. I mean, we had won 12 games in a row dating back to the 2013 Military Bowl and we couldn’t sell tickets.

One week later we hosted the C-USA Championship game and didn’t break 25k.

The only time we ever legitimately sell tickets is for a P5 opponent and/or Homecoming (on occasion).

It’s like fans would rather watch a P5 team than they would their own team (Marshall).

Besides that, the Big Green membership is at an all-time high (I’m fairly certain), albeit far too low of a number.

No one is really excited about watching the likes of Charlotte, ODU, or most teams in this conference. Marshall’s core base of fans is not that big

Josh, do you think we will see a strong fan support for Western Kentucky? And will the (QB) race be wide open next January (2018)?

If fans have any issue being there for this game then we as a fanbase have failed. It shouldn’t matter if we were playing WV State considering the date that’s accompanied with this game.

I think that will work itself out in the next month or so. I can’t imagine Kai Locksley signing and enrolling at Marshall without the possibility of playing in 2018. Isaiah Green is very talented as well, but I can’t see him relieving Litton.

No one is really excited about watching the likes of Charlotte, ODU, or most teams in this conference. Marshall’s core base of fans is not that big

It shouldn’t matter who they’re playing IMO. You’re buying tickets to watch Marshall, not their opponent.

As much as I hate referencing anything WVU, they sold 86% of their tickets earlier this year to see an 0-3 Delaware State team.

The last time we had that kind of attendance against a non-P5 school was in 2012 against Ohio.

I'm sure the people that are paying the bills are wanting some changes made at the end of this season. We need a lot more people giving a dollar then we do a few giving a hundred. MH is running the dollar guys away from the program by keeping Legg. You dont have to tell us we are boring we can see it on the field, create some excitement and you can follow the money. Announce that Legg has been removed from the program and we need a little extra money to hire a good OC. I bet the Big Green gets the money in a few days and some of the people giving will be the ones on this board that are bitching about Legg right now. You want a fan base that gets upset with a piss poor performance. We all love the Herd and want to win. You can't sell an inferior product for a long period of time.

It shouldn’t matter who they’re playing IMO. You’re buying tickets to watch Marshall, not their opponent.

As much as I hate referencing anything WVU, they sold 86% of their tickets earlier this year to see an 0-3 Delaware State team.

The last time we had that kind of attendance against a non-P5 school was in 2012 against Ohio.
It shouldn't matter who they are playing? Lol. When you're trying to obtain the discretionary income from individuals then of course it matters who you are playing. If that's the attitude Marshall is taking then no wonder why your attendance sucks and things aren't improving. I choose 2 games a year to fly to to for WVU games and those games are based on who they are playing. Not spending my money to see them play Delaware State.

If it doesn't matter, y'all might as well drop back to FCS. Y'all were happier then.

It shouldn't matter who they are playing? Lol. When you're trying to obtain the discretionary income from individuals then of course it matters who you are playing. If that's the attitude Marshall is taking then no wonder why your attendance sucks and things aren't improving. I choose 2 games a year to fly to to for WVU games and those games are based on who they are playing. Not spending my money to see them play Delaware State.

If it doesn't matter, y'all might as well drop back to FCS. Y'all were happier then.

If you lived closer, would you buy season tickets and attend every game?

Exactly, I’ve lived in buffalo the past 5 years and am moving to Connecticut in a few weeks. No way in hell I’m making a trip in to see a shit team come like Charlotte or ODU. I made UofL last year and haven’t been back. There is no one in conference I can justify spending the time and money to travel in for.
When I lived in Huntington I bought season tickets, and was there every game

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Exactly, I’ve lived in buffalo the past 5 years and am moving to Connecticut in a few weeks. No way in hell I’m making a trip in to see a shit team come like Charlotte or ODU. I made UofL last year and haven’t been back. There is no one in conference I can justify spending the time and money to travel in for.
When I lived in Huntington I bought season tickets, and was there every game

Then none of this or what Hamrick has stated applies to you unless you’re not a member of the Big Green.

The issue of attendance is a complex topic that goes far deeper than our fan's apathy. Scheduling and short term success play a part but geography, marketing, and community inclusion from the school are major areas that are not in Marshall's favor. Larger schools are able to overcome a lot of the issues we face just based on the sheer scale of their fan bases alone because they have institutionalized the gameday festivities in their regions with much more success that us. In order for Marshall to sell out it must be a damn near perfect storm in order for it to happen (Heisman candidate, P5..etc), and that is no fault of the fans.

Marshall is a tiny school, in a tiny town, with very limited media distribution and no innovation in the area of gameday experience. We don't have a core fan base large enough or a game day atmosphere appealing enough (yet) to sell out every game no matter the record/weather/opponent. We can change this, but there has to be investment in the marketing of the program that is taken as seriously every other facet and not an afterthought.

Marine you mean they still have that call-in radio show where no one ever - and I mean EVER - asks the real questions fans want to hear like when are you going to tell Doc to fire Legg or when are you going to replace the toilets in the Joan or when are you going to paint the ceiling in the Cam or . . .?

We don't have a core fan base large enough or a game day atmosphere appealing enough (yet) to sell out every game no matter the record/weather/opponent.

I agree with this. I don’t expect a sell out for every game (or most), but I expect more than we’re seeing (past and present).

I firmly agree that Marshall could improve the game day experience, but that’s where the money issue (or lack there of) comes into play.

I’m a HUGE critic of our intro video year in and year out. I have a friend that produces videos for numerous country music stars and does sports videos on the side. His price would approximately be $1,500 for a professional video and I’m not sure we have the budget for that. That’s how tight things are.

Reactions: JC102
Marine you mean they still have that call-in radio show where no one ever - and I mean EVER - asks the real questions fans want to hear like when are you going to tell Doc to fire Legg or when are you going to replace the toilets in the Joan or when are you going to paint the ceiling in the Cam or . . .?

As a matter of fact, they do not have a call-in show. Doc has his radio show and responds to questions from the audience and Twitter (filtered by Steve Cotton), but they no longer field phone calls. They haven’t done so for quite some time now.

Coaches tv shows and radio shows are as interesting as a 5lb bag of fertilizer. I listened to Doc once and he made George Chaump sound like mister excitement. These things are "Baghdad Bob" productions.

Coaches tv shows and radio shows are as interesting as a 5lb bag of fertilizer. I listened to Doc once and he made George Chaump sound like mister excitement. These things are "Baghdad Bob" productions.

Haha!

Doc’s usually consists of the following:

1) Introduction
2) A word from Madison
3) A brief look back at last week’s game before breaking down this week’s opponent
4) Mike (audience member) asks a question
5) One or two Twitter questions
6) Deeper look at the upcoming opponent
7) Ted (audience member) asks a question
8) Twitter question
9) Coach talk
10) Mike (audience member) asks a question
11) More coach talk
12) Close out

Reactions: GreenDuke
Marshall is one of, if not the smallest public universities playing FBS football. That means a much smaller student pool and a much smaller alumni pool from which to draw attendance. Couple that with a declining and aging population base in an economically distressed area and there is really no easy answer to the attendance issue, if one exists at all.

I've said it many times, the most important thing Marshall can do is grow enrollment, it's the only thing that helps athletics long term. It increases student fees to athletics, increases student attendance, and produces more alumni which leads to BG and attendance growth. However, paramount to even that being effective, the bond between the students and the sports teams has to be established.

My idea - the school should give "X" tickets to every area high school for every home game (something like 200 tickets to the big schools, 100 to medium sized, 50 to the small schools - enrollment based) I'm talking every high school in Cabell, Wayne, Mason, and Putnam in WV, Lawrence Co in Ohio and Boyd and Greenup in KY. The schools can dole them out based on whatever NCAA compliant system they want (i.e. they can't give them exclusively to recruitable athletes in violation of NCAA rules). Have a raffle, give them out for grade achievement, school spirit, whatever. Set up a special tailgate area for these kids where you provide pregame snacks and beverages and have games set up where the schools could even compete against each other and scores are kept for the season with some kind of traveling trophy given at the end of the year.

What you are giving out is about 3,000-4,000 tickets that wouldn't be used anyway and spending a couple grand a game on refreshments. What you get is around 2,000 (assuming 50% usage) high school kids coming to each game. Even though you, under NCAA attendance guidelines, couldn't count those tickets as sold, you still have an extra 2,000 people at the game, you have 2,000 potential future college students developing an attachment to the school, and 2,000 people developing a habit of attending.

You could set it up around the IPF, or even do things I the IPF. It would be a great recruiting tool for the school and help athletics. You could do a scaled back version for basketball.

Marshall is one of, if not the smallest public universities playing FBS football. That means a much smaller student pool and a much smaller alumni pool from which to draw attendance. Couple that with a declining and aging population base in an economically distressed area and there is really no easy answer to the attendance issue, if one exists at all.

I've said it many times, the most important thing Marshall can do is grow enrollment, it's the only thing that helps athletics long term. It increases student fees to athletics, increases student attendance, and produces more alumni which leads to BG and attendance growth. However, paramount to even that being effective, the bond between the students and the sports teams has to be established.

My idea - the school should give "X" tickets to every area high school for every home game (something like 200 tickets to the big schools, 100 to medium sized, 50 to the small schools - enrollment based) I'm talking every high school in Cabell, Wayne, Mason, and Putnam in WV, Lawrence Co in Ohio and Boyd and Greenup in KY. The schools can dole them out based on whatever NCAA compliant system they want (i.e. they can't give them exclusively to recruitable athletes in violation of NCAA rules). Have a raffle, give them out for grade achievement, school spirit, whatever. Set up a special tailgate area for these kids where you provide pregame snacks and beverages and have games set up where the schools could even compete against each other and scores are kept for the season with some kind of traveling trophy given at the end of the year.

What you are giving out is about 3,000-4,000 tickets that wouldn't be used anyway and spending a couple grand a game on refreshments. What you get is around 2,000 (assuming 50% usage) high school kids coming to each game. Even though you, under NCAA attendance guidelines, couldn't count those tickets as sold, you still have an extra 2,000 people at the game, you have 2,000 potential future college students developing an attachment to the school, and 2,000 people developing a habit of attending.

You could set it up around the IPF, or even do things I the IPF. It would be a great recruiting tool for the school and help athletics. You could do a scaled back version for basketball.

I could support this, but I also think it would lead to some people being upset unfortunately.

You mean, people that provide facts over opinion.

Lmao, you’ve provided nothing of the sort. Every lameass statement of supposed fact you’ve attempted to give has been refuted with actual facts, many of which by me. The only fact here is you’ve got your head so far up those at the Shewey Buildings ass you won’t take the time to look around at what many, many, people are saying. This program and this staff needs changes.

Lmao, you’ve provided nothing of the sort. Every lameass statement of supposed fact you’ve attempted to give has been refuted with actual facts, many of which by me. The only fact here is you’ve got your head so far up those at the Shewey Buildings ass you won’t take the time to look around at what many, many, people are saying. This program and this staff needs changes.

Yeah, you’ve done well with quoting Chuck Landon.

All you’ve done is throw out a few numbers, no differently than I have. Mind you, you’re hundreds of miles away and have little to no idea of what truly does going on behind the scenes.

But please continue to cuss, and carry on. It’s a very persuasive way of getting your point across.

All you’ve done is through out a few numbers, no differently than I have. Mind you, you’re hundreds of miles away and have little to no idea of what truly does going on behind the scenes.

But please continue to cuss, and carry on. It’s a very persuasive way of getting your point across.

Continues to superfan us all and tell us how our opinion doesn’t matter, moderator. It’s a great way to completely alienate posters, much like you have been doing. I could be on the moon and see what’s going on. You’re there and act as if you’re deaf, dumb, and blind.

Reactions: goherdorgohome2

All you’ve done is throw out a few numbers, no differently than I have. Mind you, you’re hundreds of miles away and have little to no idea of what truly does going on behind the scenes.

Who needs to see behind the scenes? I don't need to be an engineer to recognize a train wreck.

Continues to superfan us all and tell us how our opinion doesn’t matter, moderator. It’s a great way to completely alienate posters, much like you have been doing. I could be on the moon and see what’s going on. You’re there and act as if you’re deaf, dumb, and blind.

I told you earlier that my statement (along with Hamrick’s) doesn’t apply to you since you live outside of the Tri-State area. That of course is assuming you’re a BG member.

Complete and utter bullshit

How so?

The attendance was atrocious for the FIU game. We were 6-1 with our only loss being on the road to a Top 20 team and we couldn’t break 20k. It’s disheartening for the players more than anything. Those kids are out there busting their asses probably 300 out of the 365 days a year and we couldn’t even sell half our stadium’s allotment. And fans think that Marshall needs to attempt changing conferences......It’s laughable.[/QUOTE]

100% in agreement with your statement Josh. My main reason for coming to Huntington was to bid my goodbye to Uncle Lewis D'Antoni....(by marriage). I needed a break from my sadness and headed to the game. I sat in the cold rain with my feet resting in 1 inches of water until the final whistle. It was cold too. If folks did some research you could purchase a military ticket for $10 to get into the game. Sadly, our most loyal fans are aging out or health issues keep them home. Where were the students? No new blood (understandable) remaining in WV to support The Herd and many watch WVU on TV. Young fans graduate and exit Huntington seeking jobs and starting a family. I don't see this changing either.....add the fact The Herd football fortunes are getting passed by upstart CUSA programs....puts our program on alert.

HerdZilla22

I told you earlier that my statement (along with Hamrick’s) doesn’t apply to you since you live outside of the Tri-State area. That of course is assuming you’re a BG member.

It doesn’t matter if it applies to me or not, it shouldn’t apply to anyone. It’s blatant arrogance on his part to even suggest it. And you can’t figure out why the seats are empty? It’s a great thing you’re there “to see everything that’s going on” :rolleyes:

It doesn’t matter if it applies to me or not, it shouldn’t apply to anyone. It’s blatant arrogance on his part to even suggest it. And you can’t figure out why the seats are empty? It’s a great thing you’re there “to see everything that’s going on” :rolleyes:

The seats were empty long before those comments were made.

Those folks would begrudge giving a high school student a ticket because they obtained a 3.5 gpa during the previous 9 weeks? If that's the case, too bad.

Oh, I agree. I’m just stating how it seems people think nowadays. It’s sad.

I could support this, but I also think it would lead to some people being upset unfortunately.

See Josh that answer is stinky thinking....."lead to some people being upset unfortunately." If you continue to do the same thing----you usually get the same results. Prices for end zone seats under the scoreboard should be priced at no more than $10 and no assigned seating. Family of four gets in for $40...less than going to the movie. Free tickets for area high school kids with a paying adult is another sound idea too. $10 is better than $0 and an empty stadium. Players don't care who payed what $ amount to fill a seat....they care about looking up at butts in seats!

Reactions: cottrell75
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT