ADVERTISEMENT

Why so many running backs in this class?

Hot take.
How long have you been following recruiting? Do you understand recruiting local players, being seen at local high schools, and visiting homes on a local level helps to build the fan base. I know you like Doc but he has not build any goodwell with fan base.

Last edited:
How long have you been following recruiting? Do you understand recruiting local players, being seen at local high schools, and visiting homes in on a local level helps to build you fan base. I know you like Doc but he has not build any goodwell with fan base.
When Neal Brown took the job at WVU he made sure he had West Virginia as his main recruiting territory so he would be seen in the state making those connections with the fan base? When was the last time we heard of Doc out actually visiting kids in state and making those connections? BP did it all the time. DD is doing it right.

How long have you been following recruiting? Do you understand recruiting local players, being seen at local high schools, and visiting homes on a local level helps to build the fan base. I know you like Doc but he has not build any goodwell with fan base.

Upwards of 20 years locally and nationally.

Do you understand that Marshall visited at least 5 area HS’s last week alone?

No, you don’t. You just want to continue with your moronic posts about how Doc doesn’t recruit enough local kids (or when he does, they’re the wrong local kids).

Upwards of 20 years locally and nationally.

No, you don’t. You just want to continue with your moronic posts about how Doc doesn’t recruit enough local kids (or when he does, they’re the wrong local kids).
you said Marshall not Doc...its not moronic when you have good attitude kids with a big heart and the they dont get recruited because a bunch of other schools didn't offer now all of a sudden they are not good enough. I know you got Doc's back but the fan base is not showing. So, if you have been around that long you understand how BP worked the state to grow the fan base.

you said Marshall not Doc...its not moronic when you have good attitude kids with a big heart and the they dont get recruited because a bunch of other schools didn't offer now all of a sudden they are not good enough. I know you got Doc's back but the fan base is not showing. So, if you have been around that long you understand how BP worked the state to grow the fan base.

I don’t give AF about what the fan base is doing.

If you think for one minute that our fans’ opinions of Doc will change simply because of him recruiting an extra 2-3 WV kids a year, you’re as foolish as you seem about recruiting.

Doc could NOT have a single kid from WV and as long as he’s winning, people wouldn’t care.

You put far too much value on the impact of in-state recruiting.

I don’t give AF about what the fan base is doing.

If you think for one minute that our fans’ opinions of Doc will change simply because of him recruiting an extra 2-3 WV kids a year, you’re as foolish as you seem about recruiting.

Doc could NOT have a single kid from WV and as long as he’s winning, people wouldn’t care.

You put far too much value on the impact of in-state recruiting.
Its getting out of his office and meeting the fans, being seen in the state, and building good well. Its something you don't understand. In terms of recruiting instate just like the kid from Tyler Co. You want kids that have good attitude, quality work ethic, and understands how to self motivate to get better of their 4 or 5 years while in school. Its called leadership and its the same qualities Chad Pennington had.

Reactions: Russ Priddy
Yea, Doc recruited the same type of kids late in Nehlen's career at WVU and his teams never met expectations. Talent is not the end all be all while recruiting.

I didn't realize that, because some assistant coaches were out sightseeing in the locations they were during the day instead of spending all of their time recruiting. I didn't realize that, because John had his guys use Friday as a travel day instead of having them actively recruiting/visiting schools that day.

Seriously, Friday, the best day to be active in schools recruiting, and John has his guys using it as a travel day instead of being at schools? Brilliant. Did they have a camp they had to be back for at 8 am yesterday? Can they not drive seven hours starting at 2 pm and get home at 9 pm allowing them to be active in schools on Friday instead of spending that day sightseeing and getting home at the same time?

Mediocrity.

BP took the Herd to Parkersburg for a spring practice. Beckley too, I think.

Reactions: 5150
I know you defend Doc but not sure Chad Pennington gets recruited by Doc

Well considering Chad wasn't all that well recruited to begin with you're probably right. As I recall Tim Martin tipped Donnan off to him. Not sure what that has to do with WV recruiting either.

Last edited:
I always find this "we don't recruit enough wv boys" argument laughable. First off we always have a fair amount of WV kids on our roster. The other part of this argument is always "like we did in the 90s". Well most of the guys everyone always points are when we played in the FCS. Now if you guys want to drop back down we can start hitting the WV HS circuit harder. Fact is while WV HS Football produces some good to really good players there aren't enough of them or that many on a consistent year to year basis.

Marshall currently has 13 players from WV and WVU currently has 25 players from WV.

So Doc has 6 running backs currently on the roster and he is brining in another 5? Why in the world does he need 11 running backs? the other problem I see on the roster is he is graduating 7 olineman so you would think he would go heavy at that position. SMH on some of this

It's easy....Doc's recruiting "genius" is a myth. His player development after getting here is even worse.

I hope at least some can become DB’s in two years.It is not possible all can play RB.The larger ones could possibly play linebacker.

Doc was a great recruiter when smarter people were telling him who to go get. He's a salesman, not a sales manager. The best salespeople don't always transition well to management.
correct, and as i have been saying to be able to develop as a player you need a work ethic, self discipline, and a good attitude. Doc looks at talent and the other stuff is not really taken into consideration. Remember the Yuracheck vs Litton battle on the team? Good attitude/hard worker against the lazy I don't care Litton attitude.

Doc was a great recruiter when smarter people were telling him who to go get. He's a salesman, not a sales manager. The best salespeople don't always transition well to management.

That is perfect

Well considering Chad wasn't all that well recruited to begin with you're probably right. As I recall Tim Martin tipped Pruett off to him. Not sure what that has to do with WV recruiting either.
Martinsburg High had a QB a couple of years ago that was 6-3, 210, 4.5 gpa, great kid, state player of the year. Has now thrown for over 7,000 yards at D2 in two years. Someone on this board last year reluctantly agreed after talking to a college coach who game planned against the kid he was a D1 football player. This coach had been in the Sun Belt conference and felt he could have started in that league as a freshman.

If he stays healthy the kid will throw for over 15,000 yards and be one of the all time leading passers in D2 history.

That is called a miss imo.

P.S. for those interested Dana's crew admitted before they left for Houston they wished they had handled that recruitment differently.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Martinsburg High had a QB a couple of years ago that was 6-3, 210, 4.5 gpa, great kid, state player of the year. Has now thrown for over 7,000 yards at D2 in two years. Someone on this board last year reluctantly agreed after talking to a college coach who game planned against the kid he was a D1 football player. This coach had been in the Sun Belt conference and felt he could have started in that league as a freshman.

If he stays healthy the kid will throw for over 15,000 yards and be one of the all time leading passers in D2 history.

P.S. for those interested Dana's crew admitted before they left for Houston they wished they had handled that recruitment differently.
Adding to this story. It will be interested in seeing what looks he gets from the NFL. I know at Shepherds pro day last year the pros loved what they saw.

Well considering Chad wasn't all that well recruited to begin with you're probably right. As I recall Tim Martin tipped Pruett off to him. Not sure what that has to do with WV recruiting either.

Wasnt Chad here before Pruett?

Lets not forget Jaleel McLaughlin. A poster on here tried to get the Marshall coaching staff to take a look at. He might end up being the All-time All-Division Rusher in NCAA history.

Lets not forget Jaleel McLaughlin. A poster on here tried to get the Marshall coaching staff to take a look at. He might end up being the All-time All-Division Rusher in NCAA history.
might be the same guy. Jaleel runs a 4.3 forty

When Neal Brown took the job at WVU he made sure he had West Virginia as his main recruiting territory so he would be seen in the state making those connections with the fan base? When was the last time we heard of Doc out actually visiting kids in state and making those connections? BP did it all the time. DD is doing it right.

I hope Neal Brown adds a whole lot of WVa high school players to his roster. The more the better. Did you know that there were only two (2) NFL players who played in the NFL last season who played high school football in WVa? I hope one day every single player on their roster played high school ball in WVa. To avoid confusion, the "list" starts with States other than the top three (3) States, Texas, Florida, and California. https://n.rivals.com/news/building-the-roster-the-states-that-produce-the-most-and-least-nfl-players

Last edited:
I hope Neal Brown adds a whole lot of WVa high school players to his roster. The more the better. Did you know that there were only two (2) NFL players who played in the NFL last season who played high school football in WVa? I hope one day every single player on their roster played high school ball in WVa. To avoid confusion, the "list" starts with States other than the top three (3) States, Texas, Florida, and California. https://n.rivals.com/news/building-the-roster-the-states-that-produce-the-most-and-least-nfl-players

This kid is from Wheeling and he is going to get his shot this year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT