ADVERTISEMENT

A look at how the hiring of Dan D'Antoni was received at the time

I don't recall all of that but if that's the way it went down, or even close, it an epic failure by the AD and Prez to hire a b'ball coach. Again, allowing a booster to influence a coaching search proves to be the downfall of the process and program.
Again, if it went down this way - totally bush league and frankly, typical Marshall.

Anyone else know more specifics?

shorturl.at/rGOX7

So, we almost hired Eastern Kentucky’s Jeff Neubauer. Neubauer ended up going to Fordham where he went 61-104, and never made either the NCAA or NIT. He was fired 8 games into his final season there. So, no great loss.

Hiring Underwood would have been nice. Ahhhh what could have been

We put all our eggs in the Mike D'Antoni basket. Everyone knew he was getting fired from the Lakers, but Mike wasn't going to resign because he would lose guaranteed money. No one knew how long it would take and we couldn't wait so Hamrick decided to go with Dan. Dan even said he was surprised when Hamrick called him.

Mike ended up fired about a week later. Would have then taken then job? Who knows. Regardless of how or what went down then. The fact is Dan should not be the HC right now.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
Also, it should be noted, Jeff Neubauer, who Landon claims was offered the job and was in his car and on his way to Huntington said, "Everything in Landon's article about me is pure fiction."
https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...marshall-plans-include-jeff-neubauer/8170103/
That may or may not be true as well. I do recall Landon getting in trouble with Hamrick and the athletic department over that story and them cracking down on his access.

That being said I could see where Neubauer would not want that to be known seeing how he didn't get the job. It would make things really uncomfortable where he was coaching. Landon throws a lot of crap against the wall, but even that is a stretch for him to just make up out of thin air. What was his angle? Was he not a D'Antoni fan?

Reactions: HerdyGurdyMan
That may or may not be true as well. I do recall Landon getting in trouble with Hamrick and the athletic department over that story and them cracking down on his access.

That being said I could see where Neubauer would not want that to be known seeing how he didn't get the job. It would make things really uncomfortable where he was coaching. Landon throws a lot of crap against the wall, but even that is a stretch for him to just make up out of thin air. What was his angle? Was he not a D'Antoni fan?
I agree, it would have put Neubauer in a bad spot with his team if they knew he wanted to go somewhere else. He would have to deny that story. But, yes, it's also possible Landon had some factual info. This 2014 article says "Hamrick said he offered the job to only two people and they both had the same last name." However, Hamrick, would really have to say something like that too though be it true or not.
https://www.herald-dispatch.com/spo...cle_6e0e4121-144f-5c62-9635-52df8ed581f7.html

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedsGreen33
I agree, it would have put Neubauer in a bad spot with his team if they knew he wanted to go somewhere else. He would have to deny that story. But, yes, it's also possible Landon had some factual info. This 2014 article says "Hamrick said he offered the job to only two people and they both had the same last name." However, Hamrick, would really have to say something like that too though be it true or not.
https://www.herald-dispatch.com/spo...cle_6e0e4121-144f-5c62-9635-52df8ed581f7.html

Landon has invented spinal injuries to football players.
He's had multiple articles called out for being just plain BS.

This is nothing new in regards to details being flawed but the overall premise that a booster influenced MU to hire DD, is most likely correct.

Landon has invented spinal injuries to football players.
He's had multiple articles called out for being just plain BS.

This is nothing new in regards to details being flawed but the overall premise that a booster influenced MU to hire DD, is most likely correct.
I'm old enough to remember back in 18-19 time period, when DD was more popular and Hamrick was not....word in the BG circles was that MH had to be forced to hire DD. Now, the narrative is to blame MH as now, MH is still unpopular and DD is not as well.

I don't recall all of that but if that's the way it went down, or even close, it an epic failure by the AD and Prez to hire a b'ball coach. Again, allowing a booster to influence a coaching search proves to be the downfall of the process and program.
Again, if it went down this way - totally bush league and frankly, typical Marshall.

Anyone else know more specifics?

I am going to go ahead presume we all know who said booster is. Given the fandom he has for basketball, the friendship he has had with DD and Mike, and how the futures of those who opposed it (the AD is basically not being able to do his job and the president supporting the AD for needing to, you know do his job), resulted in, well, what transpired.

Also, you act shocked that a collegiate booster would determine the hiring processes of coaches, as if that has never happened before in any college program before.

I'm old enough to remember back in 18-19 time period, when DD was more popular and Hamrick was not....word in the BG circles was that MH had to be forced to hire DD. Now, the narrative is to blame MH as now, MH is still unpopular and DD is not as well.

I imagine MH wasn't too happy not being able to do his job and some soggy, waddling idiot in Crocs decided to take over and (much like his other endeavors) embarrassed everyone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT