ADVERTISEMENT

A Wasted Basketball Season

Laugh if you may . I am no big fan of the MAC but what I say is true.

They play in a better conference (RPI will confirm such) and have a loss to a 16-15 Temple team.

That loss is no worse than losing to a MAC team and yet they’re still ranked #1.

Now, if you’re saying that they’d lose more than 1 game in the MAC then I’ll revert back to my Michael Jordan gif.

Reactions: RhinoD
They play in a better conference (RPI will confirm such) and have a loss to a 16-15 Temple team.

That loss is no worse than losing to a MAC team and yet they’re still ranked #1.

Now, if you’re saying that they’d lose more than 1 game in the MAC then I’ll revert back to my Michael Jordan gif.
I think tournament time may tell a different story. Of course the MAC wont get justice in the selection committee for the tourneys. I might as well tell you I was right about Marshall football turnaround this season when most of this board was totally wrong .

I think tournament time may tell a different story. Of course the MAC wont get justice in the selection committee for the tourneys. I might as well tell you I was right about Marshall football turnaround this season when most of this board was totally wrong .

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

You do realize Houston is 89-12 the past three years, right? In those three seasons they’ve reached the final four, elite eight and will be a #1 seed this year.

They signed two 5-star kids in their 2022 recruiting class; one of which is a sure fire NBA lottery pick this year.

This year they’ve won at Oregon, at UVA, at Memphis, and at Cincinnati. They also beat two of the best mid majors in the country in Oral Roberts and St. Mary’s.

They’re a juggernaut and would blow through the MAC with ease.

You do realize Houston is 89-12 the past three years, right? In those three seasons they’ve reached the final four, elite eight and will be a #1 seed this year.

They signed two 5-star kids in their 2022 recruiting class; one of which is a sure fire NBA lottery pick this year.

This year they’ve won at Oregon, at UVA, at Memphis, and at Cincinnati. They also beat two of the best mid majors in the country in Oral Roberts and St. Mary’s.

Hey now!... Don't you underestimate that mid-week trip to Athens to play in front of 900 people at Ohio U!

After reading his posts, I thought we were on Pullman Square, and was on the verge of breaking a forbidden rule.
Glad you caught that.

Oldie means well but he is off his rocker, more than normal, discussing Houston and the MAC. That Houston bunch is legit.

I know they are a great team .But my real point is that the MAC is not a garbage basketball league.

The MAC is garbage on the same level as the SBC, and there are absolutely no metrics that say Marshall's schedule was "good" even when compared to other mid-major programs.

Here are the actual numbers following our final game of the season...

Record -- 24-8
NET ranking -- 84
OOC Strength of Schedule -- 295
Overall Strength of Schedule -- 225
Quality wins -- 0 (BPI)
Quad 1 record -- 0-0 (We didn't play a "good" team all season)
Quad 2 record -- 2-2 (Teams regarded as "above average")
Quad 3 record -- 8-5 (Teams regarded as "below average")
Quad 4 record -- 13-1 (Teams regarded as "bad")
DII record -- 1-0
Soooo, 21 wins out of 24 against teams "below average" or "bad" and a 22nd one against a D2 team!!! Wow! Danny D definitely worked "overtime" to come up a schedule giving him 22 impressive wins. And, in addition, he really had to put his long history as a head coach into high gear and dig real deep into the 6 inch paper bag containing the entirety of his basketball coaching knowledge in order to go a sparkling .500 against the 4 above average foes to come up with 2 big wins giving him an impressive season's total of 24 wins. I guess in a season of 31 regular season games those TWO big wins over teams with an actual "PULSE" should CLEARLY earn ole Danny Boy a multi-year contract extension, at the very least!!!

Soooo, 21 wins out of 24 against teams "below average" or "bad" and a 22nd one against a D2 team!!! Wow! Danny D definitely worked "overtime" to come up a schedule giving him 22 impressive wins. And, in addition, he really had to put his long history as a head coach into high gear and dig real deep into the 6 inch paper bag containing the entirety of his basketball coaching knowledge in order to go a sparkling .500 against the 4 above average foes to come up with 2 big wins giving him an impressive season's total of 24 wins. I guess in a season of 31 regular season games those TWO big wins over teams with an actual "PULSE" should CLEARLY earn ole Danny Boy a multi-year contract extension, at the very least!!!
who is oldeherd? That is not me of course. He would not know a good team or a good coach if he saw one.

I don't buy that at all. You're telling me that Peneva was so good he's the difference in 6 spots? We went from defending champ to 6th place all the while still having two of the top five scorers in program history on that roster. I'm not saying we should have won it all again, but we darn sure shouldn't have been as down as we were.

Sorry Dan did not use that appearance to spring board the program. He did the same thing Doc did after 2014. He started to coast and it showed.
When you go from Peneva to Goran there is a drop off. And not a small one.

When was the last time Marshall won at Ohio U in basketball?. I love Marshall and despise Ohio U but I hate to see us play on their home court.
You make this too easy for me with your lack of basketball knowledge, memory of recent games, understanding of mathematics, and so on...

I know they are a great team .But my real point is that the MAC is not a garbage basketball league.
It is a garbage league... It's the 19th best league out of 32 leagues, only hundredths of a percentage point ahead of the vaunted Colonial Athletic Association and the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.

Your opinion that MAC basketball is good, is flawed. There is nothing, other than your nonsense opinion, that backs that up.

Last edited:
When you go from Peneva to Goran there is a drop off. And not a small one.
Still not a 1st to 6th. We still had enough talent that year to be in the mix and we weren't. That whole team that year just felt like they took their foot off the gas after going to the tournament.

You make this too easy for me with your lack of basketball knowledge, memory of recent games, understanding of mathematics, and so on...

We beat Ohio three straight times in Athens, 2011, 2013, 2016... All of them blowouts, including a 94-57 drubbing.

It is a garbage league... It's the 19th best league out of 32 leagues, only hundredths of a percentage point ahead of the vaunted Colonial Athletic Association and the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.

Your opinion that MAC basketball is good, is flawed. There is nothing, other than your nonsense opinion, that backs that up.
2012-2013 Marshall lost 94-57 at Athens. Marshall won one game at Athens in 2010-2011 65-57 since 2000. Check google and see that I am right. I want to correct an earlier post I made about the game at Michigan this year. I was central michigan that beat Michigan 63-61 not eastern michigan.

We beat Ohio three straight times in Athens, 2011, 2013, 2016... All of them blowouts, including a 94-57 drubbing.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cb...&game_result=&is_overtime=&order_by=date_game

Might want to go back and look at the data. We are 2-8 in our last 10 games in Athens

Last edited:
I haven't read this whole thread and it might have already been mentioned but MU steamed rolled the MAC this year lol
I am aware of that and glad of it.I love Marshal and no fan of the MAC.Houston did not steam roll Kent State as they won by 5 points on the Cougars home floor. Before you post you should read my other posts first.

Still not a 1st to 6th. We still had enough talent that year to be in the mix and we weren't. That whole team that year just felt like they took their foot off the gas after going to the tournament.
I agree with muthed . It was like dropping off a cliff from Penava to Goran. If Penava could have come back like he tried to in vain we would have been right there again.

Go beyond the first half dozen basketball conferences and they are all garbage leagues. When was the last time a smaller conference won anything of note in basketball?

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
I wanted to give Dan Dan and another season, especially if finished regular season champs, Conference champs, made the big dance or any of the above.. but we didn’t get any of that… fire the guy and let someone else build a new team, I’ll take the suffering till then because it can’t get any worse really.
Ron Jirsa anyone?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT