ADVERTISEMENT

Agree or disagree with this murder charge?

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
I admit, I am torn on this one. A 22 year old man ran and eluded cops at a drivers license check point. The state trooper chased after him and the trooper crashed and died in the crash. The trooper crashed his own car in a single vehicle accident.

The 22 year old is charged with murder because the officer died in the crash. State law says that if you are in the act of a felony and someone dies you can be charged with murder.

I see that point of the law. But, was the chase by the trooper necessary? If they had a license number and with modern technology they could find out who owned the vehicle? Was the trooper actually putting himself and others at risk by conducting a high speed chase in this situation? Did they 22 year old avoid the stop turn and drive away. Then, the trooper drives recklessly and hits 100 mph over a failure to stop at a driver's check point when they had a license plate and vehicle identification already?

I know the 22 year old should be charge obviously for committing the crimes of failure to stop, etc. But, I am not sure on the murder charge.

https://www.wral.com/man-arrested-after-trooper-dies-in-chase-in-yadkin-county/17573949/

Not only am I OK with it, I wouldn't care if they shot his ass on the side of the road.

Why should they let this little fvcker go? If he ran a checkpoint, he is probably drunk or wanted. Or both. Either way he is a damn danger and needs taken off the road.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
I am not sure how i feel yet. I am not saying let go.

Scenario(and of course we don't know all the facts): Guy sees a check point. Turns around and goes the other way. Turns down a side road. We all agree this is illegal.

Trooper takes off hits 100 mph keeps going straight and runs off road and hits a tree and kills himself.

Was the chase even necessary? Was the trooper being negligent himself? Was the trooper in fact even putting others at risk unnecessarily? Trooper hits a minivan full of kids. Was the chase worth it?

Scenario Two:

Kid is riding a dirt bike on the road. Cop flips on lights. Guy says ok not stopping. Cop says I am going after this guy.

Kid on dirt bike goes off road. Gets away. Cop goes through a field smacks a tree and dies.

Is that a murder charge?

YOUR son or daughter is in the same predicament. You for charging him/her with murder?
Did you see what I wrote? I said I am not convinced that this should be a murder charge. My understanding is that the way the law is written in this particular state that is why he is charged. I am not a lawyer but, I think there are some holes in the DA filing murder charges though. Of course, more facts could come out. But, I think the charged person's attorney is going to go from the angle of negligence on the trooper's part. That a chase was not necessary and the trooper acted carelessly.

I am not sure how i feel yet. I am not saying let go.

Scenario(and of course we don't know all the facts): Guy sees a check point. Turns around and goes the other way. Turns down a side road. We all agree this is illegal.

Trooper takes off hits 100 mph keeps going straight and runs off road and hits a tree and kills himself.

Was the chase even necessary? Was the trooper being negligent himself? Was the trooper in fact even putting others at risk unnecessarily? Trooper hits a minivan full of kids. Was the chase worth it?

Scenario Two:

Kid is riding a dirt bike on the road. Cop flips on lights. Guy says ok not stopping. Cop says I am going after this guy.

Kid on dirt bike goes off road. Gets away. Cop goes through a field smacks a tree and dies.

Is that a murder charge?

We do know some facts from that brief article: he ran from the cops down the interstate, in a BMW, and was outrunning modern, high performance police cruisers. This dude was fvcking flying.

Scenario Two is more "dumb cop". But the law is the law. You charge the appropriate charge and let a judge and jury handle it.

Did you see what I wrote? I said I am not convinced that this should be a murder charge. My understanding is that the way the law is written in this particular state that is why he is charged. I am not a lawyer but, I think there are some holes in the DA filing murder charges though. Of course, more facts could come out. But, I think the charged person's attorney is going to go from the angle of negligence on the trooper's part. That a chase was not necessary and the trooper acted carelessly.

You didn't answer my question. YOUR child is charged with murder in this scenario, you ok with that. Simple yes or no is sufficient.

I'm assuming he was charged under the state's felony murder law. See below. Most states have these laws, although they are beginning to fall in disfavor. These statutes have their roots in common law and the notion of transferred intent, and have generally been upheld as Constitutional by the various courts.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/felony_murder_doctrine

You didn't answer my question. YOUR child is charged with murder in this scenario, you ok with that. Simple yes or no is sufficient.
It is not a simple yes or no at this point. I don't know all the facts of this case. I have not ruled one way or the other yet. Good gravy, man.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
It is not a simple yes or no at this point. I don't know all the facts of this case. I have not ruled one way or the other yet. Good gravy, man.

Yes. It's a simple yes or no question. The fact you can't answer it speaks volumes as to how little you love your child.

Yes. It's a simple yes or no question. The fact you can't answer it speaks volumes as to how little you love your child.
Are you dense? I brought up the original point and said I am torn on the issue. I never stated one way or another. I would need to know more facts in this case.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
My thoughts are similar to Raoul. Don't do stupid shit, don't break the laws, don't be shit faced, or high on weed when you drive, and you should be just fine. Full disclosure - I've done my fair share of stupid shit during my lifetime, and on occasion, have had to suffer the consequences. However, I was aware of the consequences prior to doing stupid shit. I'm hoping to one day avoid doing stupid shit, but I'm not sure that day will ever come.

Are you dense? I brought up the original point and said I am torn on the issue. I never stated one way or another. I would need to know more facts in this case.

No. You're just stupid. Your being torn on the issue proves it.

Because I am looking at the legality, ethics, and morality of it? Good thing you are not a judge.

You're doing no such thing. If you were, you'd be able to answer my question. Like I said, your inability to answer it proves you neither love your kid nor anyone else's.

You're doing no such thing. If you were, you'd be able to answer my question. Like I said, your inability to answer it proves you neither love your kid nor anyone else's.
Well, I am looking at from all sides and trying to make an informed opinion.

Funny that a "preacher" should question my conclusion in this matter.
You have some serious issues. What does being a preacher have to do with it. I started the thread to have a logical discussion on a controversial topic. He is a preacher, yes. But, also a citizen. He has a right to an opinion.

You mean that if its your kid EG the law doesn't apply? I'm not even sure of their laws their but everyone should be treated the same regardless if its my son. Now if it was my son I would fight for him. Probably manslaughter but maybe just an accident. The kid didn't cause him to crash. The cop losing control of his car is why he wrecked. Now had the cop been Raoul I'm sure he would have never lost control of his car even when he was shooting left handed out the window at the runner.

You have some serious issues. What does being a preacher have to do with it. I started the thread to have a logical discussion on a controversial topic. He is a preacher, yes. But, also a citizen. He has a right to an opinion.

I will disrespect anyone who wants a person charged with murder for avoiding and fleeing a police officer. If they're fleeing from a violent crime I might reconsider. When YOU can't decide if YOUR child should be charged with murder for the same crime, YOU have a major problem of your own to deal with.

I will disrespect anyone who wants a person charged with murder for avoiding and fleeing a police officer. If they're fleeing from a violent crime I might reconsider. When YOU can't decide if YOUR child should be charged with murder for the same crime, YOU have a major problem of your own to deal with.
Well legally, the DA had to file murder charges. That is the law in this situation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT