ADVERTISEMENT

All-Time Basketball Team

Hey, W-S HerdFan, coming into that game, the Cards had a nickname of "doctors of dunk"; after that I always referred to them as the "doctors of punk" and as "Crum's Bums"!!

Originally posted by W-S HerdFan:
Labo! Football player on the hardwood. He could really ignite the crowd with just his determination & grit. Played alongside Greg White ............

Memory that stands out:

The young buffalos will not know what I am talking about, but while these 2 were @ MU, we actually had Louisville & their
big (jerk) dunking machine star Daryll Griffith in the Field House. Rocking, sold-out. A lot of antics pre-game by the Cardinals (Who was their coach - Denny Crumb? :D) ) Anyways, not long after the opening tip, Greg White is bringing the ball up court when Griffith decks him with a sucker punch! Crowd goes nuts. Labo is having to be restrained because he is ready to tear the punks head off. Marshall crowd gets into a lusty, loud rhythm: "Looeyville SUCKS!, Looeyville SUCKS!". Had to have taken 20 minutes to get the game started up again. Classic!

Go HERD !!!

This post was edited on 3/9 9:11 PM by W-S HerdFan
After that game a friend and I had dinner with Crum. The friend was a long time family friend of the coach and I was invited to tag along. Denny was shaking like a leaf the whole time at the table due to the fight and the lack of security at the Field House. He said and this is close to an exact quote : "no team of mine will ever play Marshall again and I wouldn't recommend anybody else coming to Huntington."

Originally posted by GreenDuke:
Labo! Football player on the hardwood. He could really ignite the crowd with just his determination & grit. Played alongside Greg White ............

Memory that stands out:

The young buffalos will not know what I am talking about, but while these 2 were @ MU, we actually had Louisville & their
big (jerk) dunking machine star Daryll Griffith in the Field House. Rocking, sold-out. A lot of antics pre-game by the Cardinals (Who was their coach - Denny Crumb? :D) ) Anyways, not long after the opening tip, Greg White is bringing the ball up court when Griffith decks him with a sucker punch! Crowd goes nuts. Labo is having to be restrained because he is ready to tear the punks head off. Marshall crowd gets into a lusty, loud rhythm: "Looeyville SUCKS!, Looeyville SUCKS!". Had to have taken 20 minutes to get the game started up again. Classic!

Go HERD !!!

After that game a friend and I had dinner with Crum. The friend was a long time family friend of the coach and I was invited to tag along. Denny was shaking like a leaf the whole time at the table due to the fight and the lack of security at the Field House. He said and this is close to an exact quote : "no team of mine will ever play Marshall again and I wouldn't recommend anybody else coming to Huntington."
The atmosphere in the FH that night was unbelievable. I was sitting on the front row of the bleachers that night when Griffith stole the ball right in front of me and went in for one of his double clutch over the head slams. I believe Bunny had 33 that night coming off of his 50 point game against UTC.

Memory that stands out:

Go HERD !!!

My recollection (as a 15-year-old at the time) was that it was later in the game, probably 2nd half, that Labo got ejected for fighting with one of Louisville's bigs (Ricky Gallon maybe?) under the basket, and that Greg Young (from Brooklyn) was slap-boxing Griffith closer to mid-court. But that's just me, and I could be wrong. :)

If he hadn't hurt his knee, we'd be talking about J.R. as one of the top 5 players in Marshall history. Amazing stats as it was, considering he only had one good wheel.

And the L'ville fight was in the 2nd half, and it wasn't unprovoked. There was a scrum and Griffith ran over to White (who had his back turned) and sucker punched him. Labo chased him for about 100 feet before order was restored. Labo was ejected, kicked a folding chair into the stands and fumed off the court. The game was pretty close until then, but Griffith stole the ball on the first possession after the fight and did a dunk that even the MU fans gasped at, then L'ville pulled away for a fairly easy win.

Not having John Taft on any team of 15 just tells me you're too young. Greatest warrior I've ever seen in green/white.

marshallmark......thanks. Old man syndrome. Oh, if only there had been you tube back then! I knew Labo didn't take long to react.

WS

Old man syndrome
So THAT'S where I caught it! Damn you!
wink.r191677.gif

it was well before my time, but the love for mike and lack (relatively speaking) for dan is interesting to me. the people i know that saw them both play here all said that danny was the better of the two, and it wasn't that close.

I DID see both and, yes, it wasn't close. Mike was by far the better overall player. Danny was too short to have an impact defensively and, although he was very quick, Mike's reach and anticipation were better. Mike was a better scorer, too.

I'd say that Danny was a bit better PG, but just a bit.

Originally posted by ADub4Heisman:
I've only been following Herd basketball since the 1996-97 season and Chris Lutz wouldn't crack my top 3 at shooting guard since then.

1. Veney
2. Shaq Johnson
3. Blackshear
I agree on Keith Veney. He has to be on any list of Marshall all time greats. One of the best pure shooters Marshall has ever seen. He still holds the NCAA record for 3s in a game and although no longer #1 in career 3s he is still top ten. That's impressive.

If you are going only on their performance in the Green & White, it has to be........

1) Skip Henderson
2) John Taft
3) Tie......Hal Greer & Leo Byrd

You can debate the next 5 thru 15.

I personally loved Russell Lee. Undersized at 6'5" but played BIG!

I don't think anyone has mentioned Laverne Evans......Definitely Top 10!

Tom Curry was over shadowed by Skip but he was a freak!

Rounding out my Top 10.....Tamar Slay, JR Vanhoose, #10 Tie: George Stone & Charlie Slack.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT