ADVERTISEMENT

All-Time Basketball Team

Marshallidiot22

Bronze Buffalo
Aug 31, 2011
I just finished reading an article on Tamar Slay and seeing Hassan Whiteside play so well the last few games and it got me thinking... If you were to create an All-Time Marshall basketball team, what 15 players would you choose? Let's say for the sake of argument that you must have 3 from each position. Obviously we all come from different eras and have different favorite players. I'll be the first to admit I am fresh out of college, have only followed Marshall basketball since the Tamar Slay/JR Vanhoose years, and definitely have a bias toward my favorite players. Anyway, here's mine. Feel free to post your own.

Head Coach -
Cam Henderson. Obvious choice really. Invented the fast break and the 2-3 zone defense, had a great record here, and won the 1946-47 NAIA Championship. Plus the arena is named after him for goodness sakes.

Point Guards -
1. Hal Greer. I mean come on, how could a list of the greatest all-time Marshall players not begin with Hal Greer? NBA HOFer, voted top 50 greatest NBA players of all-time, and locally raised from Huntington. Plus his team led the nation in scoring averaging 88 points per game.
2. Skip Henderson. Even with his post-college struggles, I heard about Skip's basketball ability from my parents who watched him play. After looking him up I found that he has the record for most points in a game, season, and career at Marshall. Hard to deny his place on this list.
3. Mike D'Antoni. This was a tough one for me. Mike was a great point guard at Marshall and one of the best Italian players of all time, but honestly he is a better coach than he was a player. I could have easily added John Taft (SoCon POY twice), Jason Williams (pure PG, never been a more inventive passer in the game of basketball, and he has a pretty cool nickname), or Damier Pitts (Helped beat WVU, high on the All-Time list of assists and steals, and you can't tell me you've seen a prettier shot than his high-arching runner). But in the end, I had to go with the biggest name and that is Mr. D'Antoni.

Shooting Guards -
1. Leo Byrd. Helped Hal Greer lead probably the best basketball team Marshall has ever had, won the gold medal in the 1959 Pan American Games, is in the Marshall HOF, and has his jersey retired in the Henderson Center.
2. Tamar Slay. His size and athleticism were impossible for any SG in his conference to stop, played a few years in the NBA, is all over the top ten in Marshall's record books, and had a lengthy career overseas.
3. Deandre Kane. Complain and moan all you want (he sure did), but you will never convince me that he is not a great basketball player. His attitude may have held him back a bit, but with a different coach (like Dan D'Antoni) he seriously could have led that team to the Sweet Sixteen. He was too big, too fast, and too good for anyone in C-USA except those pesky thugs from Memphis. Call me bias, stupid, or ignorant, but Kane was a baller, plain and simple.

Small Forwards -
1. Russell Lee. Any argument here? I highly doubt it. Lee is beloved by the Marshall faithful. I remember at the final Field House event his ovation was huge. Perhaps the biggest other than Hal Greer's. I don't have many stats on him, but really Marshall doesn't have a great pedigree of Small Forwards to go on. 2 and 3 will be tough.
2. Markel Humphrey. Unless I am missing someone, Markel gets this spot by default. He has the skill to back it up and if he had a better coach (don't get me started on Ron Jirsa) he might have a better spot in Marshall history.
3. Chris Lutz. Have you ever seen a more pure shooter than Chris Lutz? Ok, maybe Dago Pena but he was too inconsistent and I haven't seen enough from Austin Loop yet to say he shoots better than Lutz. Chris Lutz was one of my favorite players and my favorite shooter along with Ronny Dawn. This is simply a bias third pick because I don't know of any other Small Forwards to put on the list and I'll be the first to admit that. I'm sure someone older has a better SF list.

Power Forwards -
1. Charlie Slack. The 3rd player on this list from the Cam Henderson era. Could have listed him as a center as I believe he played both but why nit-pick. Set the NCAA record for rebounds per game in a season that still stands today with 25 per game.
2. Dennis Tinnon. Double-Double machine. All he did was score and get rebounds and that's all he needed to do. By far the most consistent player I've ever personally seen at Marshall. You knew every game what you were gonna get out of Dennis Tinnon.
3. George Stone. Led his MU team to the semifinals of the NIT in 1967 and made the tourney again with Dan D'Antoni in 1968. Also played 4 seasons in the ABA finishing tenth in ABA history in 3 point FG percentage.

Centers -
1. Hassan Whiteside.Even though he only played 1 year at Marshall, there is no denying that talent-wise he is the best center all-time at MU unless you consider Charlie Slack a center. He set the NCAA record for blocks in a season (Anthony Davis has since broke the record but needed 3 more games to do it), got drafted in the 1st round, and his play for the Heat right now speaks for itself. imagine what Whiteside could have done here if he stayed even just 1 or 2 more years.
2. JR Vanhoose. Along with Tamar Slay, JR Vanhoose led the late 90s Herd team to a few big wins and a pretty good record. Not the best player ever but a solid player night in and night out. Also he is 2nd all-time in rebounds at Marshall. I can't find any arguments against his place on this list and that is reason enough for me to put him 2nd at his poistion.
3. Mark Patton. Gotta admit a little bias here again as I graduated from Cabell Midland, but he is clearly one of the best native West Virginians to play for Marshall. He and Ronny Dawn are the only reasons that team was even slightly successful. Not to mention they did beat WVU a few times which is always an added bonus.

Honorable Mention -
Jason Williams
John Taft
Danny D'Antoni
Damier Pitts
Shaq Johnson
Tyler Wilkerson
Andy Tonkovich
Ronny Dawn
Walt Walowac
Cebe Price
Gene James
Keith Veney

Your list is solid HOWEVER, to not have Jason Williams in the top 15 is well embarrassing. I would also find a place for Randy Noll to be on the list.

Originally posted by ohio herd:
Your list is solid HOWEVER, to not have Jason Williams in the top 15 is well embarrassing. I would also find a place for Randy Noll to be on the list.
I admitted PG was tough. I am a HUGE Jason Williams fan and actually owned his #55 Kings jersey and saw him play against the Lakers in Memphis. It was hard for me to leave him off the list but which PG would you replace with him? Obviously not Greer. So Skip or D'Antoni? Skip is the all-time leading scorer in Marshall history and D'Antoni is probably the most loved Marshall grad beyond Chad Pennington. For me it came down to D'Antoni, Williams, and Taft for the 3rd PG spot. Taft got thrown out just due to a lack of knowledge on him, and I eventually went with Mike because it was hard for me to replace someone who stayed 4 years and has contributed to the Herd for the last 4 decades with a guy who played 1 year here. Based on pure talent, I'm with you. Greer #1 White Chocolate #2 Skip #3. I was trying to take everything into account and it was honestly a toss-up for the 3rd point guard spot.

Also good point about Noll. Should've added him to honorable mention at least. Thanks for the comments. I'm curious is anyone else has a suggestion for anyone I completely left off.

Its all subjective so your list is as good as any other. However, Hal Greer wasn't a point guard, Russell Lee believe it or not played the pivot at Marshall, Charlie Slack was a 5, George Stone played the three, Bob Allen is a top three MU center, and John Taft has to be on the top three list. No Randy Noll, Bob Redd, Jim Davidson, Ken Labanowski, George Washington, LaVerne Evans, John Milhoan, Mickey Sydenstricker, Tom Langfitt, Tom Curry, Lou Mott, Bobby Burgess, Joe Taylor, etc.. As you said its hard to pick 15.

Bunny Gibson was the best pure shooter in the past 50 years, bar none. Taft and Henderson generally didn't play the point.
Randy Noll has to be in the top 15. All four of these guys belong in the top 15.

I'd have to take Jason Williams at the point but several others very close at the two spot I'll take Taft over Skip his numbers would be better if he hadn't been a freshman behind a senior skip Henderson. At small forward it's hard not to take Tamar Slay. At power forward I'll take Tyler Wilkerson any time. At center Hassan whiteside. I left Hal Greer out for a few reasons mainly because simply a different era although he could easily be on this list. A lot of great players many who had to play out of position John Brannen played basically as a center his SR season an power forward his Jr. season easily could have played small forward. John Brown would have looked great at power forward. Mckelvey was a work horse. Greg white a wizard with the ball. So many to list I wont even try. This is more of a modern era group I have. Everyone has their favorites. I've got a bunch of others that I'll just not put on this list.

........Indulge an old fart.......

My Bunny Gibson story:
So, Carlos played during my days @ MU. On the night Bunny went for 50 @ MFH (I know - would have been 65 if the 3 was around), I was sitting in the stands with Papa W-SHerdFan. After the game, the kids (young-uns) are mobbing Bunny to sign anything, but mainly their game programs. Now, my younger brother, a huge basketball fan, was not @ the game. So Pop he says to me: "Why don't you go down there and get Bunnys autograph - your brother would love it". So, I get in line with a bunch of 6-11 year old kids and patiently wait for my turn. I get up to Bunny, and all of a sudden I'm feeling a little embarrassed. So, thinking fast, I blurt out: "Hey Bunny, great game.This is for my little brother Brad". Bunny takes the game program from me, and as he finishes signing, he says "there you go, Brad!" I'm sure I turned scarlet.
Awesome game to witness - he couldn't miss. For those that are younger, he shot around 91% from the line as well.

Go HERD !!!

Leo Byrd and George Stone are the best pure shooters I have ever seen at Marshall. Charlie Slack is easily the best center of all time. Cebe Price was incredible at running the fast break. Add Skip Henderson and you have my top five Herd players of all time. Byrd, Price, and Slack all played at same time as Greer and all, IMO, were better ball players AT THE TIME....
And for two-handed set shots (hey, I thought you'd never ask :) ) :; Ta DA drum roll please: Paul Underwood!!

Great post, 22. All these names bring back GREAT MEMORIES!! They also remind us of the RICH and GREAT moments and TEAMS in HERD BASKETBALL over the last 50-60 years. In these times when HERD BB is down, we all can look back at these players and many of the teams they represent and hope and support Coach D'Antoni will restore basketball to better days and create more great Green and White basketball memories to enjoy in the future.

As one in school at the time Ellis Johnson was tasked with rebuilding Herd basketball, it is, and was, not an easy, nor quick, process. 4-20 and 6-17 records in his first 2 years attest to that. But then DD, Redd, Allen, Stone and company went 12-12 then followed up with a 20 win season and NIT appearance and, well, most of you know the rest. Again, a Great Thread, and hope it give many an idea of a proud and exciting Herd Basketball heritage, and hopes of better, and great, things to come!
This post was edited on 3/6 11:13 PM by oldeherd

Here are my 13 players I'm putting on scholarship:

Hal Greer
Russell Lee
Leo Bird
Mike D'Antoni
Skip Henderson
Cebe Price
Walt Walowac
Tamar Slay
John Taft
J.R. VanHoose
Charlie Slack
Jule Rivlin
*insert your favorite player here who wouldn't see the court*

I really, honestly, couldn't come up with someone for the 13th spot. I was thinking Jason Williams, Andy Tonkovich, or maybe Gene James.

Originally posted by W-S HerdFan:
........Indulge an old fart.......

My Bunny Gibson story:
So, Carlos played during my days @ MU. On the night Bunny went for 50 @ MFH (I know - would have been 65 if the 3 was around), I was sitting in the stands with Papa W-SHerdFan. After the game, the kids (young-uns) are mobbing Bunny to sign anything, but mainly their game programs. Now, my younger brother, a huge basketball fan, was not @ the game. So Pop he says to me: "Why don't you go down there and get Bunnys autograph - your brother would love it". So, I get in line with a bunch of 6-11 year old kids and patiently wait for my turn. I get up to Bunny, and all of a sudden I'm feeling a little embarrassed. So, thinking fast, I blurt out: "Hey Bunny, great game.This is for my little brother Brad". Bunny takes the game program from me, and as he finishes signing, he says "there you go, Brad!" I'm sure I turned scarlet.
Awesome game to witness - he couldn't miss. For those that are younger, he shot around 91% from the line as well.

Go HERD !!!
Hey W-S do you remember in that game that it got to the point where the team was having trouble getting the ball to him so at one point when Marshall would rebound the ball Bunny would run over to Greg White and practically take it from him and bring it up the court.

Idiot - this is a great thread! It is interesting to note how many of the pre-1970 players keep rising to the top. It must've been an awesome time to experience Herd basketball. They used to play in this building called Vanity Fair (that's not the right name, but am I close)? My Dad (born in 1936) has often talked about these times. He mentions Cebe Price & _____
who were nicknamed "The Gold Dust Twins". They perfected the fast break that the Old Man had come up with.
Arguably the time period from 1945-60 saw the zenith of Marshall basketball to date.

p.s. therd - I honestly do not - who were we playing that night?

Go HERD !!!

W=S: a couple of responses for you.
I think Vanity Fair sounds right but I remember it as Radio City (or Radio Center) and it may have had Music Hall in the name. That came after the Vanity Fair name. Radio Center Music Hall sounds good.
Tonkovich was incredible there. One of my best childhood friends was a cousin to Bill Toothman, also a star in those days. He would talk "Toothman" and I would talk "Tonkovich". At least two of those players from that team were playing BB for Cam Henderson when we lost to Catawba in the Tangerine Bowl, partly because of their absence from the FB team.

As for Price's buddy (as I recall they were both from the Charleston area), it was Paul Underwood. They were incredible on the fast break. I mentioned Underwood above as the best ever at the "two-handed set shot". I can still see Charlie Slack skying high under the basket and "tipping" the ball back to Cebe Price and then Price and Underwood "streaking" down the court for a lay-up to complete the play. Poetry in Motion!!!

Another reference to my earlier post listing Byrd as one of our best shooters in history. In his senior year of high school, he carried the Huntington High Pony Express to the State Championship finals. He had one decent rebounder on the team and not much other help. In the finals (I think they played Mullens), they put FOUR guys on Byrd the entire game and left one player to guard the rest of the Pony Express team. It worked as Mullens pulled out the win. I think Byrd still had 40+ points in the game. He went on to do some great shooting for the Herd. You simply could not defense his shot. Great ball-handler too.
And, Leo Byrd was a fantastic person.

jt56 - good info, My other story that a lot of you may not know concerned Hal Greer. I believe "Hurryin" Hal was the 1st African-American to play for @HMBB, which I am sure has its own story, This is after Hal was enrolled, and he was having trouble shooting. They determined that he needed vision correction so he could see to shoot! So, this is the mid to late 50's, and Greer was taken to see a young Optometrist by the name of Albert Esposito. Dr. Esposito fitted Hal with the earliest version of contact lenses and viola - the rest is history. True story...

Sorry if they've been mentioned but in my opinion Tom Curry, Rodney Holden, and Laverne Evans have to be included in the discussion. Curry did a lot more at Marshall than Whiteside.

Originally posted by jt56:
W=S: a couple of responses for you.
I think Vanity Fair sounds right but I remember it as Radio City (or Radio Center) and it may have had Music Hall in the name. That came after the Vanity Fair name. Radio Center Music Hall sounds good.
Tonkovich was incredible there. One of my best childhood friends was a cousin to Bill Toothman, also a star in those days. He would talk "Toothman" and I would talk "Tonkovich". At least two of those players from that team were playing BB for Cam Henderson when we lost to Catawba in the Tangerine Bowl, partly because of their absence from the FB team.

As for Price's buddy (as I recall they were both from the Charleston area), it was Paul Underwood. They were incredible on the fast break. I mentioned Underwood above as the best ever at the "two-handed set shot". I can still see Charlie Slack skying high under the basket and "tipping" the ball back to Cebe Price and then Price and Underwood "streaking" down the court for a lay-up to complete the play. Poetry in Motion!!!

Another reference to my earlier post listing Byrd as one of our best shooters in history. In his senior year of high school, he carried the Huntington High Pony Express to the State Championship finals. He had one decent rebounder on the team and not much other help. In the finals (I think they played Mullens), they put FOUR guys on Byrd the entire game and left one player to guard the rest of the Pony Express team. It worked as Mullens pulled out the win. I think Byrd still had 40+ points in the game. He went on to do some great shooting for the Herd. You simply could not defense his shot. Great ball-handler too.
And, Leo Byrd was a fantastic person.
Leo Byrd and my Dad were good friends and teammates at Lincoln Jr. High. They won the county Championship in 1952. My father went on to play point guard at HEHS and Leo went on to HHS.

.................addition to my earlier comments about Hal Greer: Hal wasn't just the 1st African American to play for Marshall; he was the 1st AA to play at the collegiate level in the state of WV...........

I've only been following Herd basketball since the 1996-97 season and Chris Lutz wouldn't crack my top 3 at shooting guard since then.

1. Veney
2. Shaq Johnson
3. Blackshear

Originally posted by bigoherd2:
Hey we all entitled to our own opinion, but dude...Chris Lutz. I don't think so.
Chris Lutz was a good player, but there were at least half a dozen players on the roster better than him when he played.

Tirrell Baines, Shaquille Johnson, Damier Pitts, Tyler Wilkerson, Hassan Whiteside and Markel Humphrey were all better players than Lutz. I'd argue that Dago Pena and Darryl Merthie were better too.

Originally posted by bigoherd2:
Hey we all entitled to our own opinion, but dude...Chris Lutz. I don't think so.
I agree, Veney would have shot him out of the gym.

Originally posted by herdfan1999:

Sorry if they've been mentioned but in my opinion Tom Curry, Rodney Holden, and Laverne Evans have to be included in the discussion. Curry did a lot more at Marshall than Whiteside.
I agree, I don't even consider Whiteside a Marshall guy as he only went to school for 1 semester at MU.

I will just say this: when Indiana played and beat Marshall, Bobby Knight said in the post-game, "Taft could play for me any day." That is a direct quote. I'll take Knight's word and put Taft on any MU all-time great team as a starter. And even without his word, having watched him play I will say damn straight. Dude was a warrior on the court.

Skip was a hell of a baller, but he liked his nose powder (so I am told). It is what it is, and his life decisions are what they are.

Jason Williams...good Lord, he is the definition of "baller". I don't blame him for following Donovan to Florida, he was too big a star for this stage.

Originally posted by Bison87:
I'd have to take Jason Williams at the point but several others very close at the two spot I'll take Taft over Skip his numbers would be better if he hadn't been a freshman behind a senior skip Henderson.
So what do we do with Greer?

Maybe run a small but very fast starting five. Put those four on the floor and Whiteside at C. And just run the hell out of the opposition. Run and gun those four, with Whiteside (who is pretty damn quick himself) for the half court and that would be a very hard team to beat.

I think Skip was more along the lines of a SG. I know when Andy Paul Williamson arrived, he took over the reins at PG. My list

PG Jason Williamson, Mike D'Antoni, Andy Paul Williamson (Top 15 in assist in 2 years and 3 games....but I'm biased
wink.r191677.gif
)
SG Hal Greer, Skip Henderson, John Taft, Leo Byrd (I'm using 4 here and 2 at Center. I'm a guard oriented kind of fan/coach)
SF Tamar Slay, Russel Lee, Deandre Kane
PF JR Vanhoose, Mark Patton, Dennis Tinnon
C. Whiteside, Slack,

I think that doing an All-Time All-Star team is tough because basketball rules have changed over time. In the 1950s and into the 1970s, fast-break basketball was the name of the game. In the early days, the likes of Charlie Slack, Hal Greer, Leo Byrd, Paul Underwood, Cebe Price, Bob Burgess and Sonny Allen made Marshall basketball fun every night at Memorial Fieldhouse. Jule Rivlin turned out some fine teams back then but there were no point guards or shooting guards or power forwards but I guess we could classify all Marshall forwards back then as small.

Running the break required a triggerman and Underwood, Price and Allen played Rivilin's brand of basketball to the hilt, first with defensive ball-hawking at the top of the zone and then charging down the center of the floor at breakneck speed with Greer to their left and Byrd to the right - stop in the corner and shoot or drive the lane for a layup. I remember reading that the 1958 Marshall team - which was the Big Green back then, led the nation in scoring behind Sonny Allen's ball-handling skills.

Originally posted by W-S HerdFan:
.................addition to my earlier comments about Hal Greer: Hal wasn't just the 1st African American to play for Marshall; he was the 1st AA to play at the collegiate level in the state of WV...........
Hal broke the color barrier at Marshall and was the first major college player of color in WV. WV State had a predominantly, maybe completely, AA team, going back to the beginning of basketball at the school. Bluefield State the same.
This post was edited on 3/8 9:21 AM by GreenDuke

You just about nailed it JDemp, but you're too young to remember George Stone F 6-7 and Randy Noll F 6-8, both could shoot the lights out from long range. Noll was a great rebounder too. And, Russell Lee would be ahead of anyone at any front court position.

If Bub's dad had stuck around, I think he would have given Mike D'Antoni a run for the top PG spot. Jason Williams was too much about Jason Williams.

.....does anyone have a picture of George Stone they can post? He shot from deeeeeeeeeeep territory, well behind todays 3 pt line. He would shoot and start back-peddling, and by the time the ball went through the hoop he was already across the center line! And Floyd is right, Noll was great from distance as well. Amazing how much talent flowed past Old Main in the span of 6 years (53-59) and (67-72)........

$_35.JPG

This post was edited on 3/8 12:59 PM by W-S HerdFan

The George Stone references told me that he had died and I became curious about other Marshall players. I couldn't seem to find out much about Leo Byrd who faded away after his time at Marshall. His Wiki didn't tell anything about where he had gone or what he was doing - and neither did the relatively recent article by Chuck Landon in 2009.

And then I found this:

http://i.imgur.com/8QWCB9A.jpg
This post was edited on 3/8 5:36 PM by herdgadfly

Byrd died years ago related to a house fire I think. He sold insurance in Huntington for awhile. Two guys I really liked were Bill James and Ty Collins.

Damier Pitts was a lot better than he was given credit. He made those teams go. Still playing pro ball.

W-S yes I knew about Ty. Seems like Bill came in for an alumni game not too many years ago. The Mem.Field House game I think.

Not a bad list by the OP other than Lutz, who doesn't belong anywhere near it, and several players listed out of position.

Just off the top of my head, list should have Randy Noll, Tom Curry, Rodney Holden, Jason Williams, maybe even Greg White as a player, if it's by position.

If we stick to the OP's criteria of by position, it's a different list than if it's just the top players, period, without regard to position.

Interesting reading - I have watched since the Hal Greer days and see valid points for all the arguments. I just have one question - could we add one more category? "Guys who filled seats." In other words - guys the crowd just loved to watch play even if they were not too skilled sometimes or if they were skilled just had the ability to ignite the crowd. Not added to the all time team just given a seat W-A-Y down the bench next to Ellis's dog. My top picks would be Wee Willie Wilcox, Ken Labonowski, Andy Fredrickson, John Sark, Rodney Holden, Doc Watson, Bruce Morris, Jim Davidson and as an honorary member ... Tim Austin.
I am sure you can add more to this list and for you young bucks, look these guys up - not NBA guys but fun as heck to watch on the court.

Herd 72, remember a couple of players who played with Labanowski who were pretty good (both from NYC) and also recruited by little Stu Aberdeen: Robert Price and George Washington? The latter had a pretty good career as a photographer for Sports Illustrated the last I heard.

As for the all time shooting guards, a couple real good ones of rather recent vintage were Ronnie Dawn and a local product, Joda Burgess of CK. Really hard to compare some of these guys against others since they were of different generations and played varying kinds of competition: MAC, SoCon, and a variety of opponents when MU was an independent. Like some have noted, guys like Stone, Noll and Bunny Gibson didn't have the 3 point shot, although all 3 were pretty damn accurate from what was now NBA 3 point range. Not sure of whether others like Blackshear and Veney were playing under the 3 point rule. I know Burgess was and in reality he was more like a scoring forward at 6'6", similar to Tamar Slay, both of whom shot from what would be considered normal shooting guard range. Again, this thread brings back a lot of great GREEN and WHITE names and memories!!
This post was edited on 3/9 6:49 PM by oldeherd

Labo! Football player on the hardwood. He could really ignite the crowd with just his determination & grit. Played alongside Greg White ............

Memory that stands out:

The young buffalos will not know what I am talking about, but while these 2 were @ MU, we actually had Louisville & their
big (jerk) dunking machine star Daryll Griffith in the Field House. Rocking, sold-out. A lot of antics pre-game by the Cardinals (Who was their coach - Denny Crumb? :D) ) Anyways, not long after the opening tip, Greg White is bringing the ball up court when Griffith decks him with a sucker punch! Crowd goes nuts. Labo is having to be restrained because he is ready to tear the punks head off. Marshall crowd gets into a lusty, loud rhythm: "Looeyville SUCKS!, Looeyville SUCKS!". Had to have taken 20 minutes to get the game started up again. Classic!

Go HERD !!!

This post was edited on 3/9 9:11 PM by W-S HerdFan

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT