ADVERTISEMENT

Allow me to answer burning questions and offer profound insight

Herd Insider

Green Buffalo
Dec 29, 2013
The sole reason that the TV package is now equivalent to the MAC is because from an advertising standpoint, the networks know that the MAC and CUSA are on the same level. Time will tell how these conferences rank against the other G5s. Rest assured that the AAC will get the best TV package and the Sunbelt the worst. The MWC will be second. How the conferences ultimately rank in terms of television and advertising appeal will be a direct correlation of their rankings as conferences within the G of 5. Television determines EVERYTHING in college sports. Now, on the issue of CUSA expansion, Marshall should concern itself more with Big XII matters. Pay very close attention to Oklahoma. That's right...Oklahoma. Not Texas but Oklahoma. Historically, Texas has been the school that has threatened to leave if it did not get its way (LTN). Now Oklahoma is saber rattling. Just last week it's AD said that if the Big XII does NOT expand, it may look to affiliate somewhere else. This is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what Texas wants (so as not to further divide television revenue with the likes of teams such as.... WVU, i.e. Memphis, UCF or others being speculated as being considered). Because Texas (the State) is essentially subsidizing these other expansion teams that are not bringing in equal television audiences/ revenue to the Conference. Now here's where it gets real interesting. Expanding the B12 may cause Texas to go to the Pac12, while not expanding may cause Oklahoma to go to (fill in the blank). The result could help Marshall in a big way. The implosion of the Big12 would leave WVU out in the cold...again. Their other teams would find homes in the other P4 conferences. (Remember that ESPN fantasizes about four sixteen-team conferences to make the whole college football concept PERFECT) How does that affect Marshall? In addition to seeing the "University whose goal is to marginalize" it (WVU) would be in the very same place where Marshall is...not in a P5 conference, Marshall and WVU and BYU and Boise State and Colorado State and all the members of the AAC Conference would be in the running for a spot in the new P4. However, not likely Marshall makes the cut. The more likely scenario is that someway, somehow the B12 finds a way to stay intact AND adds two new teams [likely a Florida team- UCF and a northeastern team- likely UConn or Temple) ( remember TV market) UConn # 1 TV market = NY or Temple (Philadelphia #4 TV market)]. That will then give Marshall it's last and only hope to rejoin its former conference members in the AAC where it will regain lost television revenues, be in a more geographical/ drivable conference with established rivalries.... Otherwise it is damned to the amalgamated and indistinguishable CUSAMACMWCSUNBELT where it will remain forever and ever. With no hope on the horizon, fan interest fades, attendance falls, revenues spiral down, infrastructure deteriorates, recruiting dissipates, coaching quality... well, you get the picture. In summary, hope the B12 expands so Marshall has a chance to go to AAC. It's our only hope...

I agree with just about everything you say except for 1) that WVU would not end up in a P5 conference, were there a Big 12 implosion to occur and 2) that the AAC is a more geographically friendly conference for us than CUSA.

WVU, as much as people on here like to think they're some low-level program, is a strong brand and would end up in a P5 conference were it to become P4 @ 16 teams each. The ACC would swallow their pride over it, or the SEC would come calling.

I am all for us getting an invite to the AAC, primarily for the increase in TV revenue and perception. However, to say that the AAC would be better for us geographically is no longer the case as it was in CUSA pre-2013. Yes, the AAC would bring Temple, Navy, and Cincinnati (assuming all/any of these 3 programs would still be there were we to get an invite), but CUSA has WKU, MTSU, Charlotte, and Old Dominion. There are tons of reasons for us to prefer being in the AAC, but drivable away games and general geography is not at the top of that list.

Reactions: HerditAllBefore
IMHO,

- The main reason (if it is true) that the next CUSA contract will be what it is is the whole "cord cutter" idea. ESPN has been cutting excess fat for about 18 months. As the other G5 conference deals come around they will also see reductions, as will most other sports.

- It is also apples to oranges to contrast CUSA to the AAC or MAC in TV terms. Those conferences are willing to play whenever they are told, because they mostly have no live gate to worry about anyway. CUSA contracts provide for far fewer non Saturday games.

- In any event, I do think there is something going on at the Big 12. ESPN's mismanagement calculated very poorly with the LHN, which is a complete money burn for it. It is not working. But the unequal nature of the Big 12 $$ deal is still a problem for OU and for the Little 8. The issue is that some of the Little 8 have filled the vaccum caused by Texas' inept coach and have improved there value to other conferences too.

- I really don't think ESPN wants "4 16 team conferences". ESPN (et al) want 4 8 to 10 team conferences. Everybody else is going to be put in, whatever they call it, the second tier. That includes, of course, both schools in WV.

IMHO,

- The main reason (if it is true) that the next CUSA contract will be what it is is the whole "cord cutter" idea. ESPN has been cutting excess fat for about 18 months. As the other G5 conference deals come around they will also see reductions, as will most other sports.

- It is also apples to oranges to contrast CUSA to the AAC or MAC in TV terms. Those conferences are willing to play whenever they are told, because they mostly have no live gate to worry about anyway. CUSA contracts provide for far fewer non Saturday games.

- In any event, I do think there is something going on at the Big 12. ESPN's mismanagement calculated very poorly with the LHN, which is a complete money burn for it. It is not working. But the unequal nature of the Big 12 $$ deal is still a problem for OU and for the Little 8. The issue is that some of the Little 8 have filled the vaccum caused by Texas' inept coach and have improved there value to other conferences too.

- I really don't think ESPN wants "4 16 team conferences". ESPN (et al) want 4 8 to 10 team conferences. Everybody else is going to be put in, whatever they call it, the second tier. That includes, of course, both schools in WV.

i just posted an article in a new thread about ESPN losing over 7 million subscribers over the last two years. ESPN grew into a monster partly because it was required in all TV packages. it also had the largest individual subscription fee. now cord-cutters are completely gone and we are finally getting close to ala carte TV packages where you are no longer required to have ESPN/ESPN2. this all coming at a time when ESPN basically started writing blank checks for the rights to everything under the sun. i think we are going to see a HUGE shake-up with sports, TV, and revenue over the next 5 years.

Reactions: beefcake0520
IMHO,

the difference is that the aac is locked in until 2021 and the mac is locked in until 2027. no cuts in the foreseeable future for them.

I don't see the big 12 imploding, they will survive somehow, too many decent teams to not survive, especially since the NCAA allows a champ game with less that 12 teams now. To be honest, some of these conferences that went to 12 or more for that sole reason should sue the crap out of them (NCAA) but I am sure they probably wouldn't accomplish anything. There is just enough room in these conferences to absorb b12 leftovers if it did implode. Pac 12 sits at 12, so can add 4. SEC sits at what, 14? so add 2, Big10 sits at 14, so add 2, ACC sits at 14 so add 2. BUT what if those conferences are left choosing between an undesirable team such as Iowa State and prefers to just sit on what they have? As much as we dislike WVU, they do sit higher than a Kansas or Iowa state in football, and football is what the driving force is here. Then you have some major geography problems too, say the ACC finally sucked it up and said ok WVU, come on. Who else could they go after that would not leave that team on a severe island???? Lots just doesn't add up in several ways.

I don't see the big 12 imploding, they will survive somehow, too many decent teams to not survive, especially since the NCAA allows a champ game with less that 12 teams now. To be honest, some of these conferences that went to 12 or more for that sole reason should sue the crap out of them (NCAA) but I am sure they probably wouldn't accomplish anything.

you do realize that the people that voted on the change were the conferences, right?

Yes, majority vote, but not all of them agreed. Seems 2 out of the 5 didn't want it to happen. ACC and big 10 maybe? cant remember

acc and american voted no, p12 abstained but said they supported the measure. the acc and american would have no leg to stand on, they agree to the rules of the ncaa and council.

At one point thought the ACC would never extend an invite to wv but after watching them take in the likes of Louisville and VT I could see them going even farther down the scale.

With VT, the VA governor got involved and pressured UVA to vote for them, they weren't in the conversation until that happened, I believe Syracuse was in their spot at first. WVU doesn't have that pull, but is very similar to VT in academics. I am not up to speed on UL, maybe it was their high ceiling? I dunno

With VT, the VA governor got involved and pressured UVA to vote for them, they weren't in the conversation until that happened, I believe Syracuse was in their spot at first. WVU doesn't have that pull, but is very similar to VT in academics. I am not up to speed on UL, maybe it was their high ceiling? I dunno

By most "objective" standards WVU is below, in some areas far below, VA Tech in academics.

Gloom, dispair, and agony on me. Deep dark depression, excessive misery. If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. Oh, gloom, dispair and anogy on me. contributed by He Ha, many years ago.

We loved our football in D1AA, and we'll have fans and football somewhere for generations to come. We'll be competitive, and we'll drink beer in the parking lots before, during and after the games. Go Herd. wherever you are.

Reactions: HerditAllBefore
A few things:

1) Conference Commissioners in G5 are NEVER gonna sue P5 because they all hope to make it to those jobs some day and would be black balled forever.

2) Texas and Oklahoma are always gonna need smaller programs to beat up on in conference. That is how lower tier P5s will hold their spot. It is taking money for the beating.

3) New tv contracts are a market corrections. The dollars were getting wayyyyy out of hand and with ESPN and E2 bleeding subscribers (at a shockingly higher rate than other the losses being sustained across the industry) it had to happen sometime. The new contracts are the canaries down the mineshaft, imo.

Reactions: andy4theherd
Let me say this ONE MORE TIME.

NOBODY GIVES 2 SHITS ABOUT UCONN IN THE NYC MARKET. THEY AREN'T EVEN IN THE NYC MARKET, THEY ARE IN THE HARTFORD MARKET.

UCONN GET NO COVERAGE IN NYC.

You could NOT be more wrong about that!!! What do you base that conclusion on? I helped negotiate a 5 million dollar plus/ per year TV deal with SNY that was based almost solely on access to UConn. They are a very big deal in NYC.

Umm maybe I lived in NY, never ever seen them on SNY. I saw plenty of St. Johns basketball and Rutgers athletics on SNY but no UCONN.

Like I said once and I'll say it again NOBODY GIVES 2 SHITS ABOUT UCONN ATHLETICS IN THE NYC METRO AREA.

And I watched SNY for my NY sports news. If UCONN is playing an NYC area school they would get play but for the most part they are ignored.

Oh and I moved from NY 3 weeks ago, so unless that deal is in that time frame I will stand by my assessment that nobody gives 2 shits in the NYC Market about UConn athletics.

No coverage on local sports news

No coverage in the papers

No coverage on the nightly news

No coverage either the YES! Network or on SNY

You could NOT be more wrong about that!!! What do you base that conclusion on? I helped negotiate a 5 million dollar plus/ per year TV deal with SNY that was based almost solely on access to UConn. They are a very big deal in NYC.

Apparently Fever speaks for all 8 1/2 million New Yorkers! :confused:

Reactions: herdit44
The proposition that UConn (or Rutgers) has any kind of presence in NYC (i.e. in the actual city) is to ridiculous to be commented upon.

The proposition that either has anything but an agate type role in the NYC metro area is as well.

The proposition that SNY (AKA, The Mets' channel) lives or dies because it carries college basketball is yet more laughable.

Reactions: Herd Fever
The proposition that SNY (AKA, The Mets' channel) lives or dies because it carries college basketball is yet more laughable.

yup, ever since mlb went to playing 365 days a year, they sny (and other regional tv partners with baseball teams) have no needs for other broadcasting.

My biggest account is based in Hartford. I had dinner with many UConn grads two weeks ago. They care about B'ball but football is pretty much a second thought.
I appreciate Dshoe, his input and vast experience but I don't think NYC gives a hoot about Husky football. B'ball, yes, to a small degree.

Reactions: Herd Fever
Apparently Fever speaks for all 8 1/2 million New Yorkers! :confused:
Fever is stating what he did not see or hear on NY sports stations. I do not view that as his opinion. It is very clear Fever stays on top of sports coverage. If he says he didn't see or hear it, I seriously doubt UConn is covered to any degree.

Fever is stating what he did not see or hear on NY sports stations. I do not view that as his opinion. It is very clear Fever stays on top of sports coverage. If he says he didn't see or hear it, I seriously doubt UConn is covered to any degree.

I could be completely wrong but one thing that is important when thinking about a specific market is not just the team there but all the "eyes" that are there from other schools. For example, take Rutgers and they being in the NY market. Where the benefit comes for the Big Ten is all the other Big Ten Graduates living in NYC that want to watch the Big Ten network or Big Ten games. I would say there are more Big Ten Alumni fans in NYC than Rutgers fans and that can drive up Revenue or potential Revenue. The same thought could be for UConn in a new conference.

Reactions: andy4theherd
People even care about Penn state alot in NYC and mainly because Joe Pa was a Brooklyn kid and alot of players from the NYC metro played at Penn State

People even care about Penn state alot in NYC and mainly because Joe Pa was a Brooklyn kid and alot of players from the NYC metro played at Penn State

that's the point I was making. The market isn't so much about Rutgers as it is about the other Big Ten Schools Alumni. With the millions of people there that provides a lot of rating points that will help the potential price for access to the networks carrying Big Ten athletics.

What a recruiting plan.

Son, you should come to Rutgers. You are going to take long plane rides to beautiful spots like West Lafayette and Bloomington, Indiana; Urbana, Illinois; and even East Lancing, Michigan. And just look at our stadium. Imagine playing Penn State and seeing all the seats filled with PSU alums. And then Michigan alums the next week. And so on, right across the conference.

There are 10 or 12 schools in or near big cities or resorts that run their athletic programs by marketing towards fans and alumni of the visiting teams. Rutgers, and obviously the Big 10 has way more alumni than the AAC does in NYC, has done it for years. Tulane, Houston, UNLV, Cincinnati, many. It funds a program. But who wants to play for a school like that? It is like signing up to be a Washington General.

You can take the NJ transit from Rutgers campus right into Midtown Manhattan.

You can't do that for UCONN

you can take a bus from storrs to hartford for a few bucks, then amtrak from hartford to manhattan.

Just wondering: Can't you also take a Tri-State transit bus from downtown Ceredo and downtown Kenova right into midtown Huntington and on to the MU campus???

Bottom line is this, you can sell (for real dollars) UConn BBAll and Football in NYC and it does a legitimate ratings number........anything else is anecdotal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT