ADVERTISEMENT

American Treasures

Y.A.G Si Ye Nots

Platinum Buffalo
Mar 7, 2010
Home Wrecker
Who do you think is an American treasure that is still alive? And don't give me some bullshit person who has done one thing remarkably well and is famous for that.

People like Michael Jordan, Oprah, Buzz Aldrin, etc. are all very noteworthy, but they each basically did one great thing. Bill Gates has a chance to become an American treasure based on what he has done for technology/business and his donations of $50 billion of his personal empire, but I think there has to be something more solid in terms of what he has done outside of business. His charity could get him there, but it would have to be something tangible to completely change an issue in the country. Ruth Bader Ginsburg has done a lot for women legally, has a strong cult following, and obviously has an important role in the country, but her contributions have strictly been in the legal sphere. Arnold Schwarzenegger was a huge part of bodybuilding/working out in this country, obviously had a huge acting career, and became a governor, but he also has some black marks on his life.

The only living person I can think of who squarely fits the mold for an American treasure is Tony Bennett.

Everyone knows his career success: he's won a remarkable 19 Grammys, 2 Emmys, was a Kennedy Center Honors recipient, was best friends with another legend (Frank Sinatra), and is still touring to sold-out crowds in his 90s.

But the things he has been a part of throughout his life outside of his music are unbelievable.

-He was a first generation American who grew up in poverty in NYC.
- At 10 years old, he performed at the opening of the Triborough Bridge alongside Mayor La Guardia (which the airport is named after). That's a hell of a long time ago.
-After his father passed away, Tony had to drop out of high school at 16 years old to work and support his family. It led him to having a lifelong value of education and funding secret scholarships for needy kids to be able to afford college. It also led to he and his current wife founding the Frank Sinatra School of the Arts in NYC.
-He fought in WWII . . . and not some basic shit. He was involved in heavy fighting in France and Germany, nearly died a few times, was in the Battle of the Bulge, and wrote about the hell of war. His experience fighting led him to being a lifelong pacifist.
-He was one of the U.S. soldiers who liberated a concentration camp.
-After the end of the war, while still serving, he allowed a former high school friend who was black to eat with him. That earned him a demotion, as the Army was still segregated.
-He was on the front lines marching with MLK in Selma. A white civil rights activist from Detroit made the trip to Selma after hearing MLK's call for help. This woman transported marches to/from the march and the airport. One of the people she took to the airport was Bennett. On her way back to get more marchers after dropping Bennett off, she was shot and killed by the KKK.
-After a huge music career, he almost died from his huge coke addiction, went bankrupt, and had a bleak future.
-He rejuvenated his career and again became a modern day star by playing with Billy Joel, making an duet album with Lady Gaga, having duets with Aretha Franklin, Willie Nelson, Carrie Underwood, Amy Winehouse, and other big acts.
-Turned his childhood dream into reality by learning how to paint. And he isn't just thriving off of his music name. He has had legitimate gigs and showings around the world with some of his pieces going for nearly $100,000.

Even outside of his music career, he has had some pretty remarkable contributions and been a part of some big moments.

Who are some other nominees?

Dolly Parton.

She’s an icon, seems to be a nice person, and has gone above and beyond to support her home town/state through philanthropy and long term projects (Dollywood, a hospital, a children’s book project, etc).

Maybe not an All American treasure, but at minimum she’s all an SEC/Appalachian treasure.

===

A month ago I would have put John Bogle up there. RIP.

Chuck Yeager.

Defend your choice. Everything he has accomplished has been around flying, which is no different than selecting Michael Jordan, Oprah, Buzz Aldrin, etc.

First to break the sound barrier? Pilot in the military? Also committed war crimes by attacking civilians. Outside of his career (flying) contributions, what has he done for society or excelled in?

Willie Nelson.

Same thing to a lesser extent as with Yeager. Outside of his music, what has he done? Like plenty of other musicians, he has performed at charity concerts. What else has he done?

Dolly Parton.

I can see that a little bit more. But her contributions have been music and some charitable work? If that's the case, there will have to be a hell of a lot more athletes, musicians, and other entertainers who have done just as much or more. Hell, Bill Gates has donated $50 billion+ to charitable organizations, not counting his business career being far bigger than Parton's music career, yet he wasn't granted American treasure status.

Can we raise our fvcking standards here, folks? Give me some good nominees.

On a side note, Carl . . . I am meeting up with LeAnn Rimes (and her husband, unfortunately) for lunch today. I went to her show a couple of nights ago and she sang "Jolene." Her voice may be the best I've ever heard live in a studio or in concert. In studio or concert, I've heard top voices like Kelly Clarkson, Whitney Houston, Christina Aguilera, Andrea Bocelli, Jennifer Hudson, Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Mariah Carey, and Jackie Evancho, and Rimes' may top them all.

Last edited:
Defend your choice. Everything he has accomplished has been around flying, which is no different than selecting Michael Jordan, Oprah, Buzz Aldrin, etc.

First to break the sound barrier? Pilot in the military? Also committed war crimes by attacking civilians. Outside of his career (flying) contributions, what has he done for society or excelled in?

Same thing to a lesser extent as with Yeager. Outside of his music, what has he done? Like plenty of other musicians, he has performed at charity concerts. What else has he done?

I can see that a little bit more. But her contributions have been music and some charitable work? If that's the case, there will have to be a hell of a lot more athletes, musicians, and other entertainers who have done just as much or more. Hell, Bill Gates has donated $50 billion+ to charitable organizations, not counting his business career being far bigger than Parton's music career, yet he wasn't granted American treasure status.

Can we raise our fvcking standards here, folks? Give me some good nominees.

On a side note, Carl . . . I am meeting up with LeAnn Rimes (and her husband, unfortunately) for lunch today. I went to her show a couple of nights ago and she sang "Jolene." Her voice may be the best I've ever heard live in a studio or in concert. In studio or concert, I've heard top voices like Kelly Clarkson, Whitney Houston, Christina Aguilera, Andrea Bocelli, Jennifer Hudson, Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Mariah Carey, and Jackie Evancho, and Rimes' may top them all.

Yeah I’m not sure she meets the bar. It’s what came to mind though.

There’s just something iconic about her though. Maybe doesn’t meet the Treasure standard. No one ever says a bad word about her. She’s this walking enigma that in the surface screams bimbo idiot but she’s the epitome of nuance in don’t judge a book by its cover. She’s an artist/writer, performer, businesswoman, philanthropist..,with giant comical fake boobs and platinum hair.

Sure, monetarily Gates tops them all...and pretty much across the board I’m a facts over feelings guy...but the universal good feels and goodwill that emanate from someone like Parton I think at least count a little toward the treasure designation.

I teach at Chuck Yeager’s old school. Not really calling him a national treasure, but he does have a statue out front. :)

how about Arnold Schwarzenegger. He was a world champion body builder. He was a Gov of California. He is a elite movie star. On top of that his journey to the USA and his work ethic is a great story for everyone IMO

What's the criteria?

Too opinionated. Tony Bennett is the only one that you can think off? Very impressive story, but there has to be others? By your owns standards why would Tony Bennett stand out over others?

How about Mel Brooks? Somewhat similar story.

I agree about Rimes. She has a great voice. I enjoy her work.

Too much opinion. I am politically not a fan of Jimmy Carter and his presidency was pretty much a failure and I not sure of his coziness with Hispanic dictactors, but I believe is a great American and his work with Habitat For Humanity is stupendous.

Dolly Parton's story is pretty amazing. Being born in a one room shack in rural Appalchia to having a net worth of over $500 million.

Last edited:
Outside of his music, what has he done? Like plenty of other musicians, he has performed at charity concerts. What else has he done?

I think Farm Aid was pretty big. That period of time was one of massive change in farming, and people not out in that part of the country had no idea what was going on. I'd like to think the awareness Farm Aid brought was one of the first steps in revitalizing small farms. Now you see a lot of success in farm to table, which has been huge for small farms, and I think that awareness of how important smaller local farms are began with the crisis in the mid 80s.

Willie is a board member of NORML, and has now seen the legalization of marijuana become, well, normal.

Willie is an investor in bio-diesel.

He and Dolly Parton were the only country artists to stand up for LGBT rights when it certainly was not cool in that industry.

Not many old hippies out there have walked the walk like Willie.

He's a national treasure as a song-writer. To me he is up there with Dylan. Like Bennett, Willie has the Kennedy honors and a Gershwin Prize. 13 Grammys ain't bad either.

Plus he is just Willie fvckin' Nelson.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Do you think there's an argument to be made that the Jordan brand's transcendence and influence on urban and athletic culture is sufficient to elevate his status beyond mere athletics? Same for Oprah.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
how about Arnold Schwarzenegger. He was a world champion body builder. He was a Gov of California. He is a elite movie star. On top of that his journey to the USA and his work ethic is a great story for everyone IMO

I mentioned him in my original post as a possibility. I think the black marks on his record prohibit him from being an American treasure. Having accusations, which he admitted to, of sexually assaulting women in the past, having a secret child that he didn't take on the father role for, and banging the help does not fit the criteria.

What's the criteria?

Too opinionated.

The criteria is what I fvcking rule on. What is the criteria to get elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame, to win a Grammy, or to be named the Sexiest Man Alive? It is all opinion based, but the creators of the award get to control the winners. Therefore, I have all and every vote in this fvcking contest.

By your owns standards why would Tony Bennett stand out over others?

Did you not read what he has accomplished? Everyone knows he has had a huge music career. But it wasn't just one era. He was one of the biggest stars in the 40s, 50s, and 60s, and then became huge again in the 80s and 90s, only to then work with some of the current biggest stars. He is in his 90s and still tours even though he doesn't need the money. But there are a bunch of people who had highly successful careers. So what else qualifies him?

He not just served his country, but he was a part of some of the biggest battles in American history. Battle of the Bulge? Liberating a concentration camp? Are you kidding me? And he even did the right thing while serving even though it personally impacted him negatively by refusing to adhere to the racial segregation policy.

Just based on his music career and the quality/importance of his service, he beats everyone who has been listed in this thread. But then add in his fighting for racial equality even when it didn't benefit him.

His walking alongside MLK in Selma, to then have the person who drove him to the airport get murdered by the KKK minutes later? Again, he was a part of so many important moments in American history well outside of his career.

Philanthropy? He did a lot of it in secret through scholarships, then founded a school (due to his lifelong passion for education after having to drop out) and named it after his best friend.

And he also became a very accomplished painter which has generated substantial accolades and income for him.

Compared to Dolly? Sure, both accomplished music careers. Both have done their fair share of philanthropy. Both came from poor backgrounds to have great success. But where can Dolly match up with the quality of Bennett's military service, his directly taking part in the fight for racial equality (again putting his safety on the line), and the other things? She can't measure up. Same thing for Willie. Great music career, took part in philanthropy (like just about every major artist has done at some point in their careers), and spoke out in support of gay rights. But speaking out for gay rights is just a little bit different than marching next to MLK in Selma and fighting in foxholes during Battle of the Bulge.

Simply put, nobody mentioned in this thread can come close to measuring up to what Bennett has done in his life.

Jimmy Carter - agreed, great American. Treasure? No. He did his career (politician) but wasn't very successful at the pinnacle of it. He's not greedy or self-serving, but does that make him a treasure? No. Like most other people on the list, he has given time/money to charitable organizations.

He's a national treasure as a song-writer. To me he is up there with Dylan. Like Bennett, Willie has the Kennedy honors and a Gershwin Prize. 13 Grammys ain't bad either.

Badass? Yes. Accomplished career? Yes. Icon? Possibly. But nothing else really stands out. Promoting weed legalization isn't anything to be considered an American treasure. Do I think it should be legalized? Sure. But it is still an unhealthy habit. I'm not sure that fits the criteria. Benefit concerts? Great, but just about every major artist has taken part in those at some point in their careers.

Do you think there's an argument to be made that the Jordan brand's transcendence and influence on urban and athletic culture is sufficient to elevate his status beyond mere athletics? .

No, for a few reasons. First, that is all tied to his athletic success. It all goes back to his career accomplishment. Bennett's service had nothing to do with his career. Bennett's philanthropic contributions weren't related to his career. Bennett's fight for racial equality - not just mentioning in an interview once that he supported it - was not related to his career. In fact, some of those things actually had major potential to hurt his career, yet he did them regardless because they were the right things to do (and probably supported by the minority of the country).

Besides his brand being related to his athletic career, the success of the brand has far more to do with the folks at Nike than anything Jordan did. It was the Nike marketing that was responsible for the surge in Jordan. Spike Lee/Mars? That's Nike, not Jordan. The annual release of Jordans? Same. Jordan was still wearing regular basketball apparel when Michigan's Fab Five brought the baggy/long/urban look to mainstream in basketball.

Finally, Jordan is known as a huge piece of shit. He isn't liked by many in his own industry. He isn't liked by many in the greater entertainment world. He hasn't done shit to better the country outside of being great in his career.

LeBron has a far better chance of qualifying than Jordan. Similar career success, LeBron will eventually also become part of ownership of an NBA team, but LeBron has been a far better human off of the court than Jordan ever was. He still has a long ways to go, but things like his school, the scholarships, etc. are a good start.

Oprah has the potential, but again, she has accomplished her career . . . television hosting, television network, magazine, etc. What else has she done? Some sort of philanthropic work like almost every wildly successful celeb does? She hasn't done anything to set herself up more than anyone else.

I mentioned him in my original post as a possibility. I think the black marks on his record prohibit him from being an American treasure. Having accusations, which he admitted to, of sexually assaulting women in the past, having a secret child that he didn't take on the father role for, and banging the help does not fit the criteria.

The criteria is what I fvcking rule on. What is the criteria to get elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame, to win a Grammy, or to be named the Sexiest Man Alive? It is all opinion based, but the creators of the award get to control the winners. Therefore, I have all and every vote in this fvcking contest.

Did you not read what he has accomplished? Everyone knows he has had a huge music career. But it wasn't just one era. He was one of the biggest stars in the 40s, 50s, and 60s, and then became huge again in the 80s and 90s, only to then work with some of the current biggest stars. He is in his 90s and still tours even though he doesn't need the money. But there are a bunch of people who had highly successful careers. So what else qualifies him?

He not just served his country, but he was a part of some of the biggest battles in American history. Battle of the Bulge? Liberating a concentration camp? Are you kidding me? And he even did the right thing while serving even though it personally impacted him negatively by refusing to adhere to the racial segregation policy.

Just based on his music career and the quality/importance of his service, he beats everyone who has been listed in this thread. But then add in his fighting for racial equality even when it didn't benefit him.

His walking alongside MLK in Selma, to then have the person who drove him to the airport get murdered by the KKK minutes later? Again, he was a part of so many important moments in American history well outside of his career.

Philanthropy? He did a lot of it in secret through scholarships, then founded a school (due to his lifelong passion for education after having to drop out) and named it after his best friend.

And he also became a very accomplished painter which has generated substantial accolades and income for him.

Compared to Dolly? Sure, both accomplished music careers. Both have done their fair share of philanthropy. Both came from poor backgrounds to have great success. But where can Dolly match up with the quality of Bennett's military service, his directly taking part in the fight for racial equality (again putting his safety on the line), and the other things? She can't measure up. Same thing for Willie. Great music career, took part in philanthropy (like just about every major artist has done at some point in their careers), and spoke out in support of gay rights. But speaking out for gay rights is just a little bit different than marching next to MLK in Selma and fighting in foxholes during Battle of the Bulge.

Simply put, nobody mentioned in this thread can come close to measuring up to what Bennett has done in his life.

Jimmy Carter - agreed, great American. Treasure? No. He did his career (politician) but wasn't very successful at the pinnacle of it. He's not greedy or self-serving, but does that make him a treasure? No. Like most other people on the list, he has given time/money to charitable organizations.

Badass? Yes. Accomplished career? Yes. Icon? Possibly. But nothing else really stands out. Promoting weed legalization isn't anything to be considered an American treasure. Do I think it should be legalized? Sure. But it is still an unhealthy habit. I'm not sure that fits the criteria. Benefit concerts? Great, but just about every major artist has taken part in those at some point in their careers.

No, for a few reasons. First, that is all tied to his athletic success. It all goes back to his career accomplishment. Bennett's service had nothing to do with his career. Bennett's philanthropic contributions weren't related to his career. Bennett's fight for racial equality - not just mentioning in an interview once that he supported it - was not related to his career. In fact, some of those things actually had major potential to hurt his career, yet he did them regardless because they were the right things to do (and probably supported by the minority of the country).

Besides his brand being related to his athletic career, the success of the brand has far more to do with the folks at Nike than anything Jordan did. It was the Nike marketing that was responsible for the surge in Jordan. Spike Lee/Mars? That's Nike, not Jordan. The annual release of Jordans? Same. Jordan was still wearing regular basketball apparel when Michigan's Fab Five brought the baggy/long/urban look to mainstream in basketball.

Finally, Jordan is known as a huge piece of shit. He isn't liked by many in his own industry. He isn't liked by many in the greater entertainment world. He hasn't done shit to better the country outside of being great in his career.

LeBron has a far better chance of qualifying than Jordan. Similar career success, LeBron will eventually also become part of ownership of an NBA team, but LeBron has been a far better human off of the court than Jordan ever was. He still has a long ways to go, but things like his school, the scholarships, etc. are a good start.

Oprah has the potential, but again, she has accomplished her career . . . television hosting, television network, magazine, etc. What else has she done? Some sort of philanthropic work like almost every wildly successful celeb does? She hasn't done anything to set herself up more than anyone else.
Dolly could not have been an infantryman like Bennett. That was before they were allowed. She is worth 5 times what Bennett is. She basically made Whitney Houston very famous. She wrote that song.

Plus, she has Hall of Fame DDD titties.

I agree about Jordan. He is basically a dick. Doesn't anybody really even like the guy? Or is it they want to hang with Jordan or they know Jordan. He even rails on his high school coach and says he cut him which is not true. He didn't make varsity as a sophomore and only one guy did. And, Jordan rails on the guy.

How about Tim Tebow? All American boy. Won the Heisman. Does charity work and has that dance thing for the mentally challenged kids. The prom night for them. Now playing some minor league ball. And, has remained a virgin even though he could get all the females he would want and then some.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT