ADVERTISEMENT

Another shooting spree...

Love how we turn a discussion concerning assault weapons to all guns.

That's because there's no such thing as an assault weapon. It's a made up term to make things sounds scary. The newest is "military style weapons."

And, yes, it is all guns. Morons want to ban 223 because of its muzzle velocity. If that happens it's a downward spiral until every type of round is banned. It's not hard to see the strategy in play.

Even if we had a corrupt government (some would say we do), do gun rights activists believe they can organize in such a way to defeat our existing military. Seems delusional and naïve.

The idea of a very strong deterrent is one hopes it was designed well enough to not be tested. Don't believe that? Consider our nuclear triad.

The Founding Fathers were wary of a standing army, and for good reason. I think we have the right balance with an all-volunteer force, none of whom signed up to kill scores of fellow Americans, and only a few of which would chose to do (and more in likely get smoked by the others). Consider that in the Civil War, the first volunteers actually did sign up to kill fellow Americans (that's a hell of a thing to sell, ain't it?), and many them promptly deserted when faced with that reality. Because war sucks bad enough you better have something worth fighting for (a fact proved by troop morale in Vietnam).

Anyway, the idea is not to take up arms against a corrupt government. All governments have corruption, and have since the first son of bitch in charge of the grain pyramid grabbed some extra for his friends and family. It is to protect against a tyrannical government. Big difference.

I wonder how that round-up of Japanese Americans would have went over if they all lived in Logan County WV, owned rifles, and had been through the mine wars....

And we killed a lot of VC too.

Do you not want to admit the lesson?

China has rounded up over a million ethnic minority Muslims and placed them in "reeducation camps". I wonder how that would have went if those folks were armed.
BTW, our guys in this scenario, as in Nam, were thousands of miles from home, in a foreign country - without full public support.

I don't deny the power of a possible armed uprising as a means to give policy maker's pause - that is real. But US armed rebellions, outside of the Civil War, have been "busts" for the most part.

Plus, assault weapons were outlawed before '05. Don't believe much has changed in terms of needing a weapon capible of killing 20+ innocents within 60 seconds in the hands of some nutjob.... especially when it's children attending school.

This line struck home with me... "Which one of
your loved ones will need to be shot and killed before gun control becomes a consideration?"

In the meantime, sale of Kevlar backpacks are off the chart.

That's because there's no such thing as an assault weapon. It's a made up term to make things sounds scary. The newest is "military style weapons."

And, yes, it is all guns. Morons want to ban 223 because of its muzzle velocity. If that happens it's a downward spiral until every type of round is banned. It's not hard to see the strategy in play.
My bad....thought this was about the AR-15 and similar weapons with 20+ round magazines. Wasn't aware that included my lovely Beretta 12 gauge semi-automatic.

I do but it doesn’t really change the fact

Sure it does.

The original M14 was a bad platform. It did not use a bad caliber.

That article is worth reading to understand how extensively redesigned it became for modern use. I particularly remember reading soldiers' accounts of wanting a rifle with a greater range and stopping power. They asked and they received.

Reactions: Marine03
My bad....thought this was about the AR-15 and similar weapons with 20+ round magazines. Wasn't aware that included my lovely Beretta 12 gauge semi-automatic.

Do you know originally an AR was considered a standard rifle but if you add a forward grip or a bayonet attachment it was then considered an assault weapon? Take the pistol grip off and it's not a weapon of war anymore. Get it?

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Do you know originally an AR was considered a standard rifle but if you add a forward grip or a bayonet attachment it was then considered an assault weapon? Take the pistol grip off and it's not a weapon of war anymore. Get it?
I did not know that and I qualified with the M16 every year I was in the military. It was my understanding the amount of fire power laid down in a minimal period was the issue. In the words of Bart Simpson, "now I know better."

Plus, assault weapons were outlawed before '05

It is a myth that "assault weapons were banned". Certain models were named, a bunch of purely cosmetic features were named (and new models reflecting this were immediately manufactured, heh), no previously manufactured guns were rounded up.

That law has also been statistically proven to have not affected crime rates one bit. Weird how that works...

Based on what? The extremely slim chance that a child will be a school shooting victim?

Anyone want to still claim that velocity doesn't result in more damage/likelihood of fatality?

No matter how many of your multi-personalities says that will change the fact it is wrong.

Let me have you stand there with a kevlar backpack while I fire a .556 round, and then a 30-06 round.

We'll see how that works out.

No matter how many of your multi-personalities says that will change the fact it is wrong.

Let me have you stand there with a kevlar backpack while I fire a .556 round, and then a 30-06 round.

We'll see how that works out.

I certainly do not volunteer to cover myself with a $100 "bulletproof backpack" and let you shoot me even with a .380 handgun. Nope.

The idea of a very strong deterrent is one hopes it was designed well enough to not be tested. Don't believe that? Consider our nuclear triad.

The Founding Fathers were wary of a standing army, and for good reason. I think we have the right balance with an all-volunteer force, none of whom signed up to kill scores of fellow Americans, and only a few of which would chose to do (and more in likely get smoked by the others). Consider that in the Civil War, the first volunteers actually did sign up to kill fellow Americans (that's a hell of a thing to sell, ain't it?), and many them promptly deserted when faced with that reality. Because war sucks bad enough you better have something worth fighting for (a fact proved by troop morale in Vietnam).

Anyway, the idea is not to take up arms against a corrupt government. All governments have corruption, and have since the first son of bitch in charge of the grain pyramid grabbed some extra for his friends and family. It is to protect against a tyrannical government. Big difference.

I wonder how that round-up of Japanese Americans would have went over if they all lived in Logan County WV, owned rifles, and had been through the mine wars....
Strange, I thought those coal miners lost that bout with local lawmen and company hired hands.

Would you put one on your baby girl?

A cheap piece of shit that gives a sense of false security, fvck no. I wonder why cops don't buy $100 vests.

And she's not a baby now. And probably a better shot than you. Definitely a better fisherman (fisherwomen? fisherperson?) than both of us.

A cheap piece of shit that gives a sense of false security, fvck no. I wonder why cops don't buy $100 vests.

And she's not a baby now. And probably a better shot than you. Definitely a better fisherman (fisherwomen? fisherperson?) than both of us.
I concede there...I won't challenge her to a contest in either even though I'm more than a fair shot hunting birds.

Wow what? Do you not realize the battle was between unions and mine owners, for the right to organize?

giphy.gif

Actually, I did know that. I was referring to the lives lost in that battle.

I don't deny the power of a possible armed uprising as a means to give policy maker's pause - that is real. But US armed rebellions, outside of the Civil War, have been "busts" for the most part.

Sorry to come back to this so late....

Except for a very small number of absolute nutjobs, no one is calling for an armed rebellion against the US government. I've met one person in my life that actively thought that way...and I am 99% sure he was in the Klan as well.

Sorry to come back to this so late....

Except for a very small number of absolute nutjobs, no one is calling for an armed rebellion against the US government. I've met one person in my life that actively thought that way...and I am 99% sure he was in the Klan as well.
Ok...I agree. They were nutjobs ..... except for the whiskey rebellion ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT