ADVERTISEMENT

Any basketball Seniors returning?

Not sure you’re going to get much sympathy from fans when saying Jannson is unsure whether or not he wants to play for Marshall after the coach has given him the ability to come back.
That is a little petty. These are big decisions in a person's life. Just like changing jobs. He has a right to think about it. It is not a question of loyalty. It is a question of doing what is best.

I'm not looking for sympathy. What I'm looking for is an explanation of the statement saying that the decision has been made when the coach has not said anything to Jannson other than "you have this amount of time" which is about another week.

Reactions: KyMUfan
That is a little petty. These are big decisions in a person's life. Just like changing jobs. He has a right to think about it. It is not a question of loyalty. It is a question of doing what is best.
Don’t be such a snowflake.

I'm not looking for sympathy. What I'm looking for is an explanation of the statement saying that the decision has been made when the coach has not said anything to Jannson other than "you have this amount of time" which is about another week.
I don’t mean it any certain way. I want Jannson back, big time. Just saying that after getting bounced in the first round of the CUSA tournament Marshall fans are more worried about who’s going to correct this next season. If a current playing is undecided, you’re probably going to get “crickets”

Reactions: herdinatl

I don’t mean it any certain way. I want Jannson back, big time. Just saying that after getting bounced in the first round of the CUSA tournament Marshall fans are more worried about who’s going to correct this next season. If a current playing is undecided, you’re probably going to get “crickets”
I am not the snowflake. People getting up in arms over a guy making a decision about his life are. I hope he comes back as well.

I get it. My cricket response was to herdmeister. He seems to have some information which involves my kid. I was questioning that information. With Ty being a friend of mine I was hoping he would clarify what he has heard, but I also wanted to put in my 2cents. If the decisions have been made, I would have thought they would have told the respective player(s) before telling fans".

Last edited:
I would like to see Janson return. His experience and leadership will be needed. Plus, he fits our system. I think this will benefit him from a potential professional career. I feel the same way for West. I hope these young men understand you will never get this time back. Take advantage of this rule, Go Herd!

Respect ALL our seniors and thank them for what they have contributed to MU in general and to Herd basketball specifically. Hope their decisions are made with the key factor being what is BEST for THEM, individually. If not returning, hope they depart with their degrees, are successful in their life's journey, and remain SONS of MARSHALL for LIFE!!

One personal reason I would like them, if they so want, to return to MU is that they, like all athletes competing in the last year, have definitely been "shortchanged" in their college athletic experience by the COVID pandemic. Hopefully, the sports year in 2021-22 will be back to "normal", or near normal, and I can understand any senior who may want to come back and play his (or her) last season in a more "traditional" environment and setting!!

Go HERD Seniors! GO HERD!!

If the decisions have been made, I would have thought they would have told the respective player(s) before telling fans".

One of my complaints when it comes to this coach. Seems like too many fans are on the "inside" and shouldn't be.

I don't understand anything negative about Jannson being undecided. He's already been here five years, Unless he holds the key to a needed scholarship, give him the reasonable time he wants, he deserves it.

Are these seniors staying to work on a Masters Degree, or just coming back because they want to keep playing the game they love? Or both? I thought more of them would leave. From what has been written, there will not be much improvement in the roster. Was hoping to get an inside kid to help with rebounding and defense in the paint.

Reactions: Refiner's Fire
Are these seniors staying to work on a Masters Degree, or just coming back because they want to keep playing the game they love? Or both? I thought more of them would leave. From what has been written, there will not be much improvement in the roster. Was hoping to get an inside kid to help with rebounding and defense in the paint.
That’s on Dan. It’s been an issue for a few years now and everyone has pointed that out.

Reactions: johns1124
Leave the decisions to the kid and their parents. Stop trying to tell these families what to decide just so it will make us happy

I agree. and the rest of the folks should stop telling the fans how they should feel about it or if they should continue to celebrate his career elsewhere.

He's made his decision now let's move on. Looking forward to seeing our offense next year.

Reactions: horsrman
I was kinda bummed to see Bennett transferring, but I heard D'Antoni's going to take a printed out scholarship and beat it to death with a hammer before shoving it into a burlap sack filled with pig's blood, and laying it on a chair at courtside before each game.

We should see no drop in our ability to defend at the basket.

I say we push a couple of tables together at Tudors and get some coffee......5-6 of us could get this fixed in an hour!

Or end up at Tudors in a donnybrook of a "food fight" like the Deltas, the other frat and some ROTC guys did in "Animal House"!!;)

If Bennett wouldn’t have gotten injured he could have been great. His weight was down and he was in shape until he got hurt. It’s my understanding he needs surgery. I hope he does well. He is a great guy off the court.

"We should see no drop in our ability to defend at the basket."

Not sure how it could drop, as this group's ability to defend the basket has been non-existent.

"We should see no drop in our ability to defend at the basket."

Not sure how it could drop, as this group's ability to defend the basket has been non-existent.
“Non-existent”

Yet, our 2pt defense % is in the top 100 nationally (only 32 NCAA Tournament teams above us) and we block shots at a rate that ranks us in the top 20 (tied with Virginia). Where our defense struggles is in opponent 3pt%, where we rank in the bottom 20% of the country (in the 280 range). Teams also don’t attempt FTs at a very high rate against us, which tells me teams aren’t pounding it inside on us like a lot of people think.

So, to recap:
1) Teams dont score at a high rate against us in 2pt range.
2) We block shots at a rate that is one of the highest in the country.
3) Our 3pt defensive % is actually where we’re really bad.
4) Teams dont shoot FTs at a high rate against us.

I think there is room for improvement, especially if we’d find a starting caliber big man to allow everyone else to play their natural positions. And maybe our defensive 3pt% struggles because we’re over compensating to help & defend drives/2pt shots. But the claim that it’s non-existent or we’re one of the worst, just isn’t true by any measure.

Last edited:
If Bennett wouldn’t have gotten injured he could have been great. His weight was down and he was in shape until he got hurt. It’s my understanding he needs surgery. I hope he does well. He is a great guy off the court.
He had his surgery last week

No coincidence that Loyola Chicago is one of the best defensive teams in the country

Maybe defense wins championships in basketball as well.

So what happened with Jannson Williams? Coach says he’s coming back and now he’s in the portal.

So what happened with Jannson Williams? Coach says he’s coming back and now he’s in the portal.
I’ve been a huge supporter of Dan but something does not feel right about some of these moves. Hoops program is in rebuilding mode now

I’ve been a huge supporter of Dan but something does not feel right about some of these moves. Hoops program is in rebuilding mode now

I look at this as a good sign. Maybe, DD's cavalier "I can stay as long as I want" attitude might be at a crossroads.
I personally, figured two more so-so seasons and he would be joining Doc.

I look at this as a good sign. Maybe, DD's cavalier "I can stay as long as I want" attitude might be at a crossroads.
I personally, figured two more so-so seasons and he would be joining Doc.

Dan's pushing 75, he's lost pretty much everyone that made the team competitive, and given the lack of results to show for it, might be enough for him to say, "Well, its been fun."

Looking more and more like a new plan is needed, this one is not working.
One time ncaa win is not going to get it. We have lived in the past long enough.

Now that Williams and West are gone, what’s keeping Kinsey here? If the NBA isn’t an attractive option this year, does he just transfer as well? I would think of the 3, he would get the most interest from a big school.

If so, it’s going to be a rough at least for the next season.

Now that Williams and West are gone, what’s keeping Kinsey here? If the NBA isn’t an attractive option this year, does he just transfer as well? I would think of the 3, he would get the most interest from a big school.

If so, it’s going to be a rough at least for the next season.
He would seemingly be the one most likely to leave. Even practicing against the like of Ill, Gonzaga, Baylor, etc could be very beneficial In getting more looks from the league.

He would seemingly be the one most likely to leave. Even practicing against the like of Ill, Gonzaga, Baylor, etc could be very beneficial In getting more looks from the league.
Like it helped Kane get a contract in Hungary!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT