ADVERTISEMENT

Arena?

Then, please name the dope fiends named in this case. Basic reading skills will reveal that only legal companies are named. No dope fiends.
Try to use some common sense. Do you think anything beneficial to society will come from suits against individual junkies? More, individual junkies aren't responsible for the epidemic. An individual junkie isn't hooking tens of thousands of people and producing/sending millions of pills under illegal actions. Big Pharma is responsible for doing that stuff, hence why they are footing the billions if penalties.
BIG pharma. Anyone who use "Big" are a public policy reason is disqualified. And, BTW, Purdue really wasn't that big.
They made over $30 billion from Oxy alone. Based on any comparison, that's "big."

Nope. Look up what a "public nuisance" is.

an act, condition, or thing that is illegal because it interferes with the rights of the public generally.

This doesn't affect the public generally. An open sewer would, water pollution, air pollution, slaughter houses, etc. are public nuisances. This is just a business that POSs figured out how to game.
No, Samantha. I've already gone over this. Creating a public health hazard is a public nuisance by any definition. With numerous illegal marketing tactics, big pharma was guilty. With purposely misleading doctors about their products, big pharma was guilty. These illegal tactics created a public health hazard, which is a public nuisance, and is why they are paying tens of billions in fines.

Your claim that their illegal tactics didn't "affect the public generally" shows how simple-minded you are and how jaded your reality is based on trying to toe a political position.

Nah, let’s throw personal responsibility and accountability out the window. No one makes them shoot up or pop pills to begin with. It’s always someone else’s fault.
Anyone that thought they would work in a coal mine their entire life after 1980 is not very smart any way. Sorry to say.

Certainly much blame to go around, but it all comes down to the choices the individual makes. Jmho
The whole lawsuit says Pharma was responsible for making people addicted as well as not doing their jobs in regulating opioids being distributed. Thats actually what big pharma has been charged with all over the place.
Not taking anything away from the addicts who've struggled trying to get clean and on their feet, thats their personal journey and choice in doing so or not.
Plenty didn't choose to have this happen and plenty didn't know what their doctors or big pharma were doing to them.
It is pharma's fault for starting and continuing all of this.

Contrary to some revisionist history, I think Huntington made two smart decisions in the 50/60's.

Not to build the Mall downtown and to build the Interstate around the city.
Yea after 50/60 years of nothing, Huntington is finally growing and the building renovations are wonderful... but the community trust bank in Pullman was completely stupid.. would have been better to leave chi-Chi’s.

Yea after 50/60 years of nothing, Huntington is finally growing and the building renovations are wonderful... but the community trust bank in Pullman was completely stupid.. would have been better to leave chi-Chi’s.
You can’t be serious about Pullman?
That development served as single most important project to get downtown thriving again. Downtown is doing extremely well and one of the very few positives about Huntington.

You can’t be serious about Pullman?
That development served as single most important project to get downtown thriving again. Downtown is doing extremely well and one of the very few positives about Huntington.
His comment was about the bank and I agree with him. An anchor restaurant would have been better and draw more folks than a bank.....

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
His comment was about the bank and I agree with him. An anchor restaurant would have been better and draw more folks than a bank.....
There are several eateries in Pullman and the surrounding blocks. While another business may have been a better fit, the bank wasn’t and isn’t a deal breaker.
Would have been tough to fit Chi Chi’s into the schematics of it all. Jmho

The whole lawsuit says Pharma was responsible for making people addicted as well as not doing their jobs in regulating opioids being distributed. Thats actually what big pharma has been charged with all over the place.
Not taking anything away from the addicts who've struggled trying to get clean and on their feet, thats their personal journey and choice in doing so or not.
Plenty didn't choose to have this happen and plenty didn't know what their doctors or big pharma were doing to them.
It is pharma's fault for starting and continuing all of this.
So we dont hold the indivdual, Doctor, Pharmacist accountable at all for taking, prescribing and dispensing a drug that most knew was highly addictive after a certain time on the medication? The docs and pharmacies turned their heads because it was a huge money maker for them. There was a pharmacy in Gilbert, WV that dispensed more pills than anywhere in the country. Crazy. Plenty of blame to go around.

Chi Chi's as a restaurant chain has been defunct in the US for several years. It's like CTB was an afterthought to Pullman. It has a tight parking lot and going through the drive-through in a larger vehicle is a challenge.

Huntington is trying to revitalize downtown but it is easier said than done, especially in the online age of retail and Covid.

So we dont hold the indivdual, Doctor, Pharmacist accountable at all for taking, prescribing and dispensing a drug that most knew was highly addictive after a certain time on the medication?
We do hold them accountable. There have been a significant number of individual doctors held criminally liable for their actions surrounding the opioid epidemic.

Do we want to hold pharmacists accountable? I struggle with that. Do we want pharmacists to now have the ability to second-guess and override a doctor's prescription considering the doctor is the one with the evaluation of the patient? I think that opens up a huge Pandora's box.

There is plenty of accountability to go around: so far, the drug manufacturers and doctors have been held accountable. Individual users are already held accountable criminally. I'm not sure why people like you and Samantha either want to give drug manufacturers a free pass on their criminal actions or try to pass blame to people who are already being held accountable for their roles.

We do hold them accountable. There have been a significant number of individual doctors held criminally liable for their actions surrounding the opioid epidemic.

Do we want to hold pharmacists accountable? I struggle with that. Do we want pharmacists to now have the ability to second-guess and override a doctor's prescription considering the doctor is the one with the evaluation of the patient? I think that opens up a huge Pandora's box.

There is plenty of accountability to go around: so far, the drug manufacturers and doctors have been held accountable. Individual users are already held accountable criminally. I'm not sure why people like you and Samantha either want to give drug manufacturers a free pass on their criminal actions or try to pass blame to people who are already being held accountable for their roles.
I don’t. It’s just that through the process, each layer has accountability. One would think, somewhere down the line someone would have blown the whistle to the government. Everyone in Williamson knew who the pill mill doctors were and where to get them. It’s crazy.
I worked for General Medical before it became McKesson. It’s a monster. So big that I can see how no one would know what’s going on - and that’s not good.

There are several big government advocates on this board. That said, the Federal Food and Drug Administration is responsible for the oversight of prescription drugs. Does the FDA not share in any of the culpability of the opioid crisis?

Have you even read ANYTHING about the case?

The RINO attorney general and his trial lawyer ambulance chaser buddies actually trying to use a law about "public nuisance" which is actually about things like condemned houses or open sewers, on legal companies, doctors, and pharmacies.

Now think about the last one. Some POS takes a valid prescription to a drug store. Along with his/her you and I pay Medicaid card, of course. The drug store fills the prescription.

And the RINO AG sues it!!!! Wow. So the druggist is supposed to second guess an MD?

Or maybe, just maybe, Medicaid could have, umm, I don't know, kept track of this in the first place and limited such prescriptions. Like most all of the other states did.

The drug addicts are not named in the suit at all. No one is doing anything to them. They are not a party to the matter. The rules about welfare and Medicaid have not even been changed at all. They are NOT being held responsible in any way.

Anyway, as to this "recovery house on every corner" future. Nah. A recovery house needs people that want to recover. The automatic thing for ordinary people, seeing the other side, is to assume that no one would want such a life. This is because you have what these people lack. Call it grit, gumption, character, or just plain ole basic decency.

This is the life these people chose. They like being dope fiends and burdens to society. This is the life style they prefer. Thus Huntington's future under Williams type leadership is not a "recovery house" but just a needle "exchange" (misnomer, no used dope needles needed, they just give out new ones, no questions asked) on every corner, and more and more dope fiends lining the streets.
You clearly do not understand the case, or the legal system in general. Why in the world would you sue the individuals who ultimately received the drugs?

Even if there were a legal theory for a recovery against these "victims" what would you expect to collect?

I suggest reading more about the trial and the complex legal theories before posting. It would also be beneficial to have a general grasp about recovery.

For example- if someone runs a red light and hits you- liability is not going to be in dispute. But if that driver does not have insurance, and does not have resources, there would be no point in wasting money on legal fees if there is no money to recover.

Again, I suggest you educate yourself before posting publicly, a little critical thinking helps as well...

So we dont hold the indivdual, Doctor, Pharmacist accountable at all for taking, prescribing and dispensing a drug that most knew was highly addictive after a certain time on the medication? The docs and pharmacies turned their heads because it was a huge money maker for them. There was a pharmacy in Gilbert, WV that dispensed more pills than anywhere in the country. Crazy. Plenty of blame to go around.

We do. They get prosecuted just like any other criminal...and many end up losing their license to practice.

Thats a tough call. I have no idea what the protocol for a pharmacist is, but they'd have to notice something if several million pills of high powered drugs were being distributed out of their pharmacy.

Netflix had a documentary called "The Pharmacist" about a man who began trying to bring to justice his son's killer and ends up discovering a massive pill mill in his area.
Its a good watch.

There are several eateries in Pullman and the surrounding blocks. While another business may have been a better fit, the bank wasn’t and isn’t a deal breaker.
Would have been tough to fit Chi Chi’s into the schematics of it all. Jmho
The surrounding blocks was nothing but a ghost town when Pullman opened... the part I’m complaining about is the fact that someone or a group of someone’s allowed a bank, like we needed another, to move into a place that was perfect for a eatery. They announced “West Virginia’s first branch of Community Trust Bank” like it was supposed to make people excited to go to Pullman. They were just desperate for anything so they settled for that... bad call in my opinion, but hey Pullman and the area around it is doing well and I really enjoy going there from time to time.. When and if they allow a pawn shop or a vape shop to open, I’m am done with it!

The surrounding blocks was nothing but a ghost town when Pullman opened... the part I’m complaining about is the fact that someone or a group of someone’s allowed a bank, like we needed another, to move into a place that was perfect for a eatery. They announced “West Virginia’s first branch of Community Trust Bank” like it was supposed to make people excited to go to Pullman. They were just desperate for anything so they settled for that... bad call in my opinion, but hey Pullman and the area around it is doing well and I really enjoy going there from time to time.. When and if they allow a pawn shop or a vape shop to open, I’m am done with it!
Agree, we have enough DG's, Pawn and Vape shops for an entire state. Everywhere I go and city I travel to is polluted with them as well. I would have killed to have a Cheesecake Factory at that location. That place would clean up. lol!

Reactions: KyMUfan
I would have killed to have a Cheesecake Factory at that location. That place would clean up. lol!
I remember reading pre-COVID that The Cheesecake Factory was struggling as a chain. But since we are usually 20 years behind the times here it probably wouldn't matter for a while 😅😢

I remember reading pre-COVID that The Cheesecake Factory was struggling as a chain. But since we are usually 20 years behind the times here it probably wouldn't matter for a while 😅😢

I can only imagine the overhead those places have. Usually large layouts, tons of staff and an extensive menu. I've always liked them but they would be expensive to run I imagine.

I can only imagine the overhead those places have. Usually large layouts, tons of staff and an extensive menu. I've always liked them but they would be expensive to run I imagine.
Indeed. As there were comparisons to Lexington earlier in this thread I wonder how that relatively newer location was/is doing both pre and post Covid.

Remember how hard it was to get Cracker Barrel to give Huntington a look?

I think you are confusing Gilbert with either Williamson or Kermit.

I'm sure it was all about the money. I'm sure the bank signed a hefty lease agreement with the developer. The developer would also have probably signed that deal with a doctor or accountant

Man, its been decades since that happened.
Pullman's doing fine.
Could Huntington have benefitted from a mall? Absolutely. But quit acting like the area hasn't done anything since. Pullman is very lively and brings lots of people downtown.
Stop using the mall excuse, plenty of those fools are dead or dying off, we all know about its history and seems like the city's trying to improve itself.
Accurate, but very insensitive..."dying off."

• Angry
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
He did the get the “fools” part correct. The “ I got mine and you can’t have any” mentality has killed this town. That and Stevie Williams embracing the druggies
Can't forget the, "my run down 60+ yr old building with a leaky roof housing a single business, is worth more than what you think it is. I won't entertain anything less than 5x the value."

I'm sure it was all about the money. I'm sure the bank signed a hefty lease agreement with the developer. The developer would also have probably signed that deal with a doctor or accountant
Your right, but anything beside a office space would have been nice... how about West Virginia’s first Camden Park merchandise store! That would have been better then a bank...

Readers Digest named Gilbert the oxycontin capital of the world.
I still think you are getting Gilbert confused with one of the other Mingo towns. I've seen multiple reports of Kermit and Williamson, but never one on Gilbert. It's on the other side of the county from the other communities.

I still think you are getting Gilbert confused with one of the other Mingo towns. I've seen multiple reports of Kermit and Williamson, but never one on Gilbert. It's on the other side of the county from the other communities.
Thanks for letting me know where my home town is located within the county.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT