ADVERTISEMENT

Arena?

The Real SamC

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 15, 2007

Significant parts, IMHO

- This is totally out of the blue, AFAIK. Have heard nothing about such a plan.

- DD is the one doing the talking. This seems to be, one, at odds with the baseball fund raising and, two, seems to confirm that MH is no longer in control of the department.

- It would be located on Hal Greer Boulevard close to campus. Where? I would consider anything on the right side of the tracks to be ON campus, not "close" to it. And I really don't see the space for a large footprint development there. So is this another step on using MU to urban renew the wrong side of the tracks?

- DD says this is a "long term goal." The man is in his 70s. Does this mean he fancies himself as AD?

Reactions: HuntersvilleHerd

Significant parts, IMHO

- DD is the one doing the talking. This seems to be, one, at odds with the baseball fund raising and, two, seems to confirm that MH is no longer in control of the department.

- It would be located on Hal Greer Boulevard close to campus. Where? I would consider anything on the right side of the tracks to be ON campus, not "close" to it. And I really don't see the space for a large footprint development there. So is this another step on using MU to urban renew the wrong side of the tracks?

- DD says this is a "long term goal." The man is in his 70s. Does this mean he fancies himself as AD?
Nothing wrong with dreaming. It’s better than the KO attitude and others - we’re a small school and we can’t do shit. So don’t even think about it.

City county and mu should ALL come together and plan a mixed use arena conference center to replace big sandy or what ever it’s called now
Mountain Health Arena. Mountain Health is the merged name of St. Mary's and Cabell-Huntington.
Any way, you are right. In some alternate universe where such cooperation was done back in the 70s, leading to a single large format arena rather than the failed civic center by the city, the compromised and cut rate HC by the university, and keeping the field house around to compete with both until the last cent could be squeezed out of it by the park board/county, the situation at MU basketball, and the concert and culture situation in the Tri-State, are way better.

It was just DD's dream. I too dream of a 8,000sq ft mansion on the ocean, but reality is, it isnt happening in DD's time here, that is for sure. Same for Huff, where do you put a grass practice field right now? At least that is easier to do than a $100M arena.

Yes, the civic center is the best location with Pullman next door. It would really do wonders for downtown having a nice arena with big events 50+ nights a week with Marshall games, regional stuff, concerts, etc. But that would be a city/MU cooperation. I'm not holding my breath, we all have wishes, a new arena is DD's.

Significant parts, IMHO

Dan should focus on not being terrible at coaching basketball before anything else.
We've seen what happens when you build a quality facility for a sports team (soccer). The same could be said for baseball who have never had a legitimate field near campus. They should get their field.
However, I bet Dan complains to the MU BoG that the reason he isn't winning is because the Cam sucks. Since he and Justice are such good friends, Justice will convince the BoG to scrap the baseball field and potentially try to build this.

Williams is a big time Marshall guy, he’ll work with anyone at MU. The question is will those at MU work with the city?
I heard it had historically been a problem for MU to expand because the city believed MU needed them (when for many cities with universities, its the other way around).
Williams has been great for MU and seems to have mended much of the problematic relationship between MU and Huntington.

I just find it very odd Gilbert is leaving after having gotten MU an Aviation program(s) at MU, has done great with expanding Kopp's work to getting MU to R2 status academically, the students love him, and is just overall a good person.

I heard it had historically been a problem for MU to expand because the city believed MU needed them (when for many cities with universities, its the other way around).
Williams has been great for MU and seems to have mended much of the problematic relationship between MU and Huntington.

I just find it very odd Gilbert is leaving after having gotten MU an Aviation program(s) at MU, has done great with expanding Kopp's work to getting MU to R2 status academically, the students love him, and is just overall a good person.
Lower the life boats.

In some alternate universe where such cooperation was done back in the 70s, leading to a single large format arena rather than the failed civic center by the city, the compromised and cut rate HC by the university, and keeping the field house around to compete with both until the last cent could be squeezed out of it by the park board/county
Even when I was a teenager back in the 70’s I scratched my head as to why two very similar buildings were built at essentially the same time. Look at what Lexington and UK had done about the same time with Rupp Arena and keeping Memorial Coliseum as a practice and women's facility.

One multi-use facility with an updated Field House could have better served the city AND MU.

Fun fact - MU played at the Field House for about 30 years and has now played at The Cam for over 40 years. Kind of puts the age and the realized value of The Cam in perspective.

Per some new notes on the BOG meeting today, or perhaps yesterday, one factor Gilbert mentioned was the sudden, or at least unexpected, death of a brother not so long ago. Imagine he has family still down in Mississippi. Probably will return there; and if not ready to fully retire, I'm sure his Rep. is well established and respected at Mississippi State and he could easily get some part time position there, teaching, etc., if desired. I believe Dr. Gilbert will be around 63 if he finishes his term at MU in mid 2022!

He will be 67-68 ish next summer. He can find a cushy landing spot if he wishes to work a few more years.

Reactions: Elkview

Gilbert was finding out he had little choice than leave. He has been on thin ice for a while from what I have heard

Sounds like Marshall will never grow due to egos on all sides. To much division and the " I want my way" for any growth to happen. That's the last thing we need in this shithole of a state.

Sounds like Marshall will never grow due to egos on all sides. To much division and the " I want my way" for any growth to happen.
A lot of truth to this...☹ And it has existed my entire lifetime, that is why there is the Civic Center AND The Cam.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Sounds like Marshall will never grow due to egos on all sides.
Marshall (and Huntington) is a small enough thing that people don't have to be too large themselves to pull the strings, and the cost of doing so is a relative bargain.

A $32 million athletic budget that requires almost $15 million in taxpayer and student subsidy just to exist, and these folks come in and sprinkle a modest $3.5 million on it and get total control of all decision-making.

That's why Dan D'antoni is out there floating building a new basketball arena at the same time the state is cutting Marshall's funding, and tuition and fees are about to make a major jump, and nobody bats an eye.

Fun Fact: you can fit all of the state employees who've told Jim Justice "no" on the head of a pin.
I played golf with a fellow who was working for Justice in an administrative capacity. He said the same thing. Said Justice didn’t know the meaning of “no.”
He said Justice would issue impossible demands then walk off shouting, “Do it! Do it!”

Reactions: herdalicious
Back when the idea of building a mall was gaining momentum, there was an idea to locate it off of the extension which becomes Hal
Greer Blvd coming from I-64. The local businesses, fearing the mall would be the end of downtown & all of it’s wonders, made sure the mall was located nowhere near Huntington.....so the mall was built in Barboursville and it killed the downtown businesses!! Great minds......

Reactions: Diamond Duke
Back when the idea of building a mall was gaining momentum, there was an idea to locate it off of the extension which becomes Hal
Greer Blvd coming from I-64. The local businesses, fearing the mall would be the end of downtown & all of it’s wonders, made sure the mall was located nowhere near Huntington.....so the mall was built in Barboursville and it killed the downtown businesses!! Great minds......
Yep. Remember that as well. About the same time as the Civic Center was being built and The Cam was on the drawing board. Was thinking of its relevance to this discussion as well.

Man, its been decades since that happened.
Pullman's doing fine.
Could Huntington have benefitted from a mall? Absolutely. But quit acting like the area hasn't done anything since. Pullman is very lively and brings lots of people downtown.
Stop using the mall excuse, plenty of those fools are dead or dying off, we all know about its history and seems like the city's trying to improve itself.

I played golf with a fellow who was working for Justice in an administrative capacity. He said the same thing. Said Justice didn’t know the meaning of “no.”
He said Justice would issue impossible demands then walk off shouting, “Do it! Do it!”
Since WV education is floating somewhere around 45th, he also doesn't know that 50th is not the high score.

Man, its been decades since that happened.
Pullman's doing fine.
Could Huntington have benefitted from a mall? Absolutely. But quit acting like the area hasn't done anything since. Pullman is very lively and brings lots of people downtown.
Stop using the mall excuse, plenty of those fools are dead or dying off, we all know about its history and seems like the city's trying to improve itself.
There have been some recent positives regarding Huntington such as the dog park competition, America's Best Community, etc. but if you don't remember your mistakes you are doomed to repeat them.

There were a couple of other instances where shortsightedness related to downtown and the Super Block were repeated. Wonder what downtown would be like had HIMG located there?

Pullman does get some traffic but how many of its original businesses are still there? If it is doing fine why has there been so much apparent turnover among its occupants?

Yeah, and just how much have the completion of a dog park and the Best Community Award increased the population of Huntington? Produced new jobs/businesses in Huntington?

Let's see, some of the Best Community $$$$ has probably gone in the "development" of a baseball stadium, meaning a vacant lot/area along 5th Avenue east of the MU campus which is growing a lot of "weeds". Also, into another grandiose, pie in the sky scheme from the fertile mind of Hizzzzoner Mayor Williams for the complete "redevelopment" of the Highlawn area and area north of 3rd Avenue to the Ohio River adjacent to the MU campus. Again, a lot of weed covered lots, abandoned/vacant buildings, and the ever present sounds of "crickets"!! And, last but not least, monies for the project dearest to ye olde Mayor's Heart, "free needles for EVERYBODY"!

Yep, Amsbury's, Lambros and others closed soon thereafter. Brilliant!
Mack and Daves pushed very hard not to locate the mall downtown.

Of course knowing the Charleston Mall is pretty much dead, maybe things all worked out for the better.

Yeah, and just how much have the completion of a dog park and the Best Community Award increased the population of Huntington? Produced new jobs/businesses in Huntington?

Let's see, some of the Best Community $$$$ has probably gone in the "development" of a baseball stadium, meaning a vacant lot/area along 5th Avenue east of the MU campus which is growing a lot of "weeds". Also, into another grandiose, pie in the sky scheme from the fertile mind of Hizzzzoner Mayor Williams for the complete "redevelopment" of the Highlawn area and area north of 3rd Avenue to the Ohio River adjacent to the MU campus. Again, a lot of weed covered lots, abandoned/vacant buildings, and the ever present sounds of "crickets"!! And, last but not least, monies for the project dearest to ye olde Mayor's Heart, "free needles for EVERYBODY"!
Hey now, if its a recovery center you want to open up, Steve will help you find the land and give you money.

Looking at the Charleston mall, it may have been a good thing in the long run that the mall wasn't built downtown. The mall is strategically in a very good location moving forward considering the growth of Putnam County and how much closer/easier the Huntington mall is as opposed to the Charleston mall.

Contrary to some revisionist history, I think Huntington made two smart decisions in the 50/60's.

Not to build the Mall downtown and to build the Interstate around the city.

Looking at the Charleston mall, it may have been a good thing in the long run that the mall wasn't built downtown. The mall is strategically in a very good location moving forward considering the growth of Putnam County and how much closer/easier the Huntington mall is as opposed to the Charleston mall.
Looking back it may have been a good thing but that was also 40+ years ago. I think the Charleston Town Center, though always busy, struggled financially from virtually the beginning.

Did the Huntington Mall help bring the growth to Putnam County or is it a beneficiary of that growth? It wasn't necessarily going downtown either. More likely it was going either near the 29th St Exit or Hal Greer Blvd. How much tax revenue has Huntington lost by missing out on the mall?

Contrary to some revisionist history, I think Huntington made two smart decisions in the 50/60's.

Not to build the Mall downtown and to build the Interstate around the city.
The Mall decision was much later than the 50/60's and really wasn't made by the city. It was a direct result of the lawsuit brought by the downtown merchants.

Was there even a consideration to bring I-64 through downtown? I have heard that mentioned in the past but could never envision how it could have been done in an efficient and cost-effective manner.

The Mall decision was much later than the 50/60's and really wasn't made by the city. It was a direct result of the lawsuit brought by the downtown merchants.

Was there even a consideration to bring I-64 through downtown? I have heard that mentioned in the past but could never envision how it could have been done in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
Some locals who know more can get into details, but yes, it had been said the interstate was going to go right into Huntington.

Looking back it may have been a good thing but that was also 40+ years ago. I think the Charleston Town Center, though always busy, struggled financially from virtually the beginning.

Did the Huntington Mall help bring the growth to Putnam County or is it a beneficiary of that growth? It wasn't necessarily going downtown either. More likely it was going either near the 29th St Exit or Hal Greer Blvd. How much tax revenue has Huntington lost by missing out on the mall?
Putnam is growing because people don't want to live in the city and are close far enough to commute without much of a problem (minus the Nitro bridge that is ALWAYS backed up). You also have Huntington workers living out there. Its peaceful, quiet, and is just off the interstate. Lots of nice houses are being developed by the river too, they look great. It also helps that Putnam is one of the better counties for education in WV.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan

I bet you just tickled yourself to death attempting to be witty.
You couldn't be more wrong.
The Dog Park is an aesthetic to Ritter itself. The fact it won, says it fits what was needed. A dog park attracts people to it because...dogs.

As for the ABC contest and the $$$ won?
You have to submit a plan for what the money will go towards prior to being judged in it. Williams' plans didn't include a baseball field at all so you can stop rambling about like an idiot.

As for the Needle Exchange, opposing it is a tremendously bad idea both short and long term. I'd explain it to you but I doubt you'd comprehend.

You can find where all the development plans are here:

Some locals who know more can get into details, but yes, it had been said the interstate was going to go right into Huntington.
I have heard that too and wondered if there was any merit to it or if it was just in response to the controversy surrounding I-64 and Charleston.

I-64 in Cabell County predated I-64 in Charleston by at least 10 years if I recall correctly. Just wondering if anyone had more input on that. Thanks.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
Putnam is growing because people don't want to live in the city and are close far enough to commute without much of a problem (minus the Nitro bridge that is ALWAYS backed up). You also have Huntington workers living out there. Its peaceful, quiet, and is just off the interstate. Lots of nice houses are being developed by the river too, they look great. It also helps that Putnam is one of the better counties for education in WV.
Understand all that but I also think the Mall and surrounding developments might have made the area a little more attractive.

We have friends in Hurricane - Teays Valley. Some seem to gravitate towards Charleston and some to Huntington so who knows.

Sounds like you might gravitate more to Charleston.

I bet you just tickled yourself to death attempting to be witty.
You couldn't be more wrong.
The Dog Park is an aesthetic to Ritter itself. The fact it won, says it fits what was needed. A dog park attracts people to it because...dogs.

As for the ABC contest and the $$$ won?
You have to submit a plan for what the money will go towards prior to being judged in it. Williams' plans didn't include a baseball field at all so you can stop rambling about like an idiot.

As for the Needle Exchange, opposing it is a tremendously bad idea both short and long term. I'd explain it to you but I doubt you'd comprehend.

You can find where all the development plans are here:

Be careful, numbskull, when you're walking your mongrel along with the other vagrants; don't step on any needles that they drop! To date, only tangible result of the needle program is that it has brought more users from out of the City into town to take advantage of the "recovery" programs! Just what Huntington needs: MORE DRUGGIES! BRILLIANT!!

Oh, and don't hold your breath waiting on one of those many "development" plans to become reality! Before then, more likely that you'll be found in one of the MANY abandoned houses/buildings around the City, probably with 2 or 3 needles stuck in your arm!!

Reactions: The Real SamC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT