ADVERTISEMENT

Ask Doc

MUCO68

Silver Buffalo
Jan 27, 2011
I would love for one of the reporters in Doc's presser to ask Doc if Cramsey has full and complete control on play calling or does Doc make the final call...

Reactions: herdalicious
I would say John doesn't call any plays. The better question is the offense what he wants? The HC sets the philosophy and the OC game plans to meet that.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
The way he looked at Cramsey on TV when we ran the ball on 3 & 7 last week indicated to me that he isn't calling the plays. Now I'm not saying that is the played that Cramsey called either; ,my hunch is that much of what we see isn't necessarily what the coaches wanted ran,

Reactions: IslandHerd1
I would love for one of the reporters in Doc's presser to ask Doc if Cramsey has full and complete control on play calling or does Doc make the final call...

are you kidding me? Such a question would result in being black balled in the press room and superfans claiming an unfair question to the coach.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
The better better question is why do we even need Cramsey? Waste of money on Docs staff since he seems to be unused.

Holliday probably does not know. Doubt he would answer the question to begin with , that would be giving up one of his secrets to success.;)

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
I would say John doesn't call any plays. The better question is the offense what he wants? The HC sets the philosophy and the OC game plans to meet that.

Doc has the final say on play calls more than we think.

Holliday probably does not know. Doubt he would answer the question to begin with , that would be giving up one of his secrets to success.;)

No HC is going to give you an answer to that question much less the one you're wanting.

The way he looked at Cramsey on TV when we ran the ball on 3 & 7 last week indicated to me that he isn't calling the plays. Now I'm not saying that is the played that Cramsey called either; ,my hunch is that much of what we see isn't necessarily what the coaches wanted ran,

whf - hadn’t thought about that! Does Green have discretion like Cato did? Can he change the play?

We run a ton of RPO, and Green misreads the ends a lot.

Kind of makes me think of the old days at WVU, with Rasheed Marshall running RichRod's offense and looking confused and lost out there. Then Pat White comes in and boom. Marshall was the better all-around QB and athlete, and a really smart and well-spoken guy, but he could read an end to save his life.

I seriously doubt it. If he does...he doesn’t need it.
I think the look on receivers faces after we run the ball on third and 7 shows that he does have options; and has fallen into the trap of not taking any risk at all. Risk Avoidance means no interceptions and the critique that comes with them.

There is no way in hell that John calls the plays. He has been a defensive coach for decades yet was never allowed to call plays on defense. What makes anyone think he can call plays on offense?

Now, there may be rare instances when he tells Cramsey to run or pass the ball, milk the clock, go tempo, etc., but those would be rare cases.

Now, there may be rare instances when he tells Cramsey to run or pass the ball, milk the clock, go tempo, etc., but those would be rare cases.
I would say you are on to something here, but probably way more often than you could imagine which explains a lot.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
I would say you are on to something here, but probably way more often than you could imagine which explains a lot.

Yea. Doc may not call the actual plays, but he's dictating the pace that's they're called. It really blows my mind that he chooses to run it so slow. Be it Cato, Blake, Litton, or Green. They have the most success when we run uptempo.

Whether it's the IQ of our QBs or the rudimentary play designs we run. When the defenses have time to settle in presnap and our QBs have to diagnose we struggle to move the ball.

I'm no advocating running 90+ plays a game, but we should be snapping the ball more often than not on the front half of the play clock. Not allowing the defense to substitute, find a weak defender, and just put the pedal down. Like Cato and Allen did against that poor OHIO DB in 2014.

We lack aggression. We don't bring it and we hardly ever match it when the opposition brings it to is. See Charlotte.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT