ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball polls

What most remember from last year was that Marshall was 4th place in regular season CUSA, had a good tournament run, and won 1 game in the NCAA Tournament. That is great, but i'm not sure it warrants top 25 consideration.

What most remember from last year was that Marshall was 4th place in regular season CUSA, had a good tournament run, and won 1 game in the NCAA Tournament. That is great, but i'm not sure it warrants top 25 consideration.
Correct. Great run last year, but we're no longer sneaking up on anybody. It's a little different.

However, we're a very experienced team that will have a lot more depth than what people realize. I think we've been underappreciated in previous years and maybe a little overhyped this year. But either way, it's going to be a fun season.

Reactions: Elkview
Preseason polls are the National Enquirer of the sports world... The only reason they come out in the preseason is so fans have something to bitch about and so ESPN and other networks can tout matchups with "ranked" teams.

In a perfect world the polls wouldn't start during football until after week two and in basketball until after everyone has played five games. At least then voters can see what they are voting for.

Preseason polls are the National Enquirer of the sports world... The only reason they come out in the preseason is so fans have something to bitch about and so ESPN and other networks can tout matchups with "ranked" teams.

In a perfect world the polls wouldn't start during football until after week two and in basketball until after everyone has played five games. At least then voters can see what they are voting for.

I agree with this, however if you are going to take the time to cast a vote, perhaps do some research on who was good last year, why they were good, and who is returning from those teams.

Let’s just enjoy the national recognition and not question/complain and see if the team can measure up to that lofty expectation.

I strongly recommend we find a way to surround Nick Mayo in our opener as he single handedly destroyed us in our last visit to EKU!
I liked the way we handled him last year in the Cam much better.
Playing the opener there with it being AW's first game is concerning to me but I know there will be quite a few Herd fans in attendance.

I liked the way we handled him last year in the Cam much better.
Playing the opener there with it being AW's first game is concerning to me but I know there will be quite a few Herd fans in attendance.
I plan on making the trip but it seems like these OVC road trips under Dan and really forever have been tough for us. Seems like we lose these dogfight games to OVC teams at their place and the next year in the Cam we beat them by 20! But if we ant to make some noise on the national level we can't lose this game to EKU, Nick Mayo or no Nick Mayo!

Reactions: Herdmeister
I plan on making the trip but it seems like these OVC road trips under Dan and really forever have been tough for us. Seems like we lose these dogfight games to OVC teams at their place and the next year in the Cam we beat them by 20! But if we ant to make some noise on the national level we can't lose this game to EKU, Nick Mayo or no Nick Mayo!
You are so right. Before Danny as well. We have played dreadfully in Morehead over the years.

The OVC is consistently under rated as a basketball conference... Road games in that league are not easy for other mid-majors, not just Marshall.

Opening the season on the road is no small task either. It would be nice to have a simple 1-0 game at the Cam against some bottom feeder from the SoCon, but we have what we have so lets go win it and come home for a couple weeks.

Mayo is EKU's equivalent to WKU's Justin Johnson. Both good enough that they are going to get their points, rebounds, etc. Herd only has to play solid enough D to ensure that Mayo doesn't go off offensively like a cheap package of Chinese firecrackers!!

For those of you who don't like these kinds of games, I say, "get use to them". How many majors have Danny and Mark Cline managed to attract to the HC? Exactly Zero. Zilch. Nada. We played Penn State and S. Carolina in D'Antoni's first year under a contract signed in Herrion's tenure. The ACC announced this week that in 2019-20 they will raise the number of conference games in a season from 18 to 20.

Just as in football, smaller D1 programs will find it harder and harder to get games with Power/major teams. WVU Coach Holgorsen urging other Power teams to play more Power opponents. Meaning in WVU and Big 12's case, 2 Power OOC games, 1 FCS gimme, and 9 conference opponents. G5s just SOL. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Hamrick to announce another game with a Power opponent. I was hoping he would try to get South Carolina to schedule us again for a game in Columbia, with a similar $$$$ guarantee, to replace this season's cancelled game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT